Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Right now, if you were to guess, what age would you expect to recover from birth the fastest? The answer is a bit problematic for modern society.

Well, don't leave us hanging. 18?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've played Crusader Kings and clearly the biggest indicator of long life is being a useless idiot that everyone hates and can't wait for you to die.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
14 to 16.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Heath posted:

That's also affected by things like country of origin and the health of the mother in general, but speaking very broadly it marks the downslope of the peak of reproductive years.
this is kind of what i was referring to. there's a lot to this that goes beyond just 30 being a magical number and the matter has seen a massive amount of knowledge expansion over the last 15 years or so. we live in something of a golden age of biology research. it's certainly true that age affects this, i don't argue that, but the relative rates of aging are starting to get slower and slower the richer your country is.

Who What Now posted:

This isn't entirely true. Life expectancy is an average among the population, and the single biggest thing that drives it down is child death. It was still very common to live until your 70s and 80s back then. Advancements in pediatric care and immunization are what really raise life expectancy by such drastic amounts.

absolutely! but that wasn't what people expected, which is the critical thing. one of the most common things i get out of boomers is that they're amazed they've gone on as long as they have, because they didn't realize how much those numbers were being depressed by otherwise easily fixable problems like the infant and toddler mortality rates and flat malnutrition.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Yes life expectancy at birth is the headline number you usually see for life expectancy. It includes a lot of infant mortality and eqrly childhood deaths.

Its a good measure for a country or a population at large, but for an individual it doesn’t mean a lot. Once you are 5 or 6 years old you are probably gonna live to 80 or something. If you arent a male who dies in a stupid way before 20 your life expectancy goes up even more.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

absolutely! but that wasn't what people expected, which is the critical thing. one of the most common things i get out of boomers is that they're amazed they've gone on as long as they have, because they didn't realize how much those numbers were being depressed by otherwise easily fixable problems like the infant and toddler mortality rates and flat malnutrition.

Well considering like 90% of the food from the 50s through the 70s was made entirely of mayonnaise and gelatin I'm shocked theyved lived this long too

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Well considering like 90% of the food from the 50s through the 70s was made entirely of mayonnaise and gelatin I'm shocked theyved lived this long too

don't forget how the food was FORTIFIED WITH VITAMIN H and therefore healthy because some dingus sprinkled a crushed rock over it

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
"Aren't you worried your eggs are going to rot?"

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Coolguye posted:

don't forget how the food was FORTIFIED WITH VITAMIN H and therefore healthy because some dingus sprinkled a crushed rock over it

vitamin ham

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I do not understand the obsession with Miracle Whip. My parents would not buy real mayo and instead bought that tangy garbage excuse for a sandwich spread.

Just proof that if you advertise something enough, Boomers think they have to have it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Live Free posted:

vitamin ham

lmao

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Bonzo posted:

I do not understand the obsession with Miracle Whip. My parents would not buy real mayo and instead bought that tangy garbage excuse for a sandwich spread.

Just proof that if you advertise something enough, Boomers think they have to have it.

It's like modern day brand obsession I guess? I don't know what feeling of status you'd get from Miracle Whip though.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Yes life expectancy at birth is the headline number you usually see for life expectancy. It includes a lot of infant mortality and eqrly childhood deaths.

Its a good measure for a country or a population at large, but for an individual it doesn’t mean a lot. Once you are 5 or 6 years old you are probably gonna live to 80 or something. If you arent a male who dies in a stupid way before 20 your life expectancy goes up even more.

It also includes young males being wellsprings of crime and idiocy, which is why male life expectancy rises with age until early 30s.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Weaponized Autism posted:

"Aren't you worried your eggs are going to rot?"

I'm 35, I will never have any kids and I kind of can't wait for menopause. Let my eggs dry up, I'm sick of being fertile. Periods suck.

My older sister was nice enough to have surprise twins on her only pregnancy, so our parents have grandkids, one boy and one girl, to love without expecting any more to come. Luckily my mom knows I'm a fuckup who can barely support myself, so she's never asked me if I was going to have kids, cause by now the answer is pretty obvious.

Any boomer who acts impatient about you having kids is just trying to justify their own life. Like they feel cheated that they had to devote so much of their life to ungrateful kids, so now they are making sure the younger generation is going to suffer just like they did.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I turned 35 and my poo poo got all hosed up, just complete biological collapse. I eat healthy and exercise, but once that number hit, its just baldness and pulled muscles.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Spent my entire childhood being made to feel guilty for existing and "having children = life ruined" drilled into me night and day. Now I'm 35 and my parents wonder why I don't want kids.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

I turned 35 and my poo poo got all hosed up, just complete biological collapse. I eat healthy and exercise, but once that number hit, its just baldness and pulled muscles.

Please dont tell me this. Thanks

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

It's like a Boomer highlight reel

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I'm 35, I will never have any kids and I kind of can't wait for menopause. Let my eggs dry up, I'm sick of being fertile. Periods suck.

My older sister was nice enough to have surprise twins on her only pregnancy, so our parents have grandkids, one boy and one girl, to love without expecting any more to come. Luckily my mom knows I'm a fuckup who can barely support myself, so she's never asked me if I was going to have kids, cause by now the answer is pretty obvious.

Any boomer who acts impatient about you having kids is just trying to justify their own life. Like they feel cheated that they had to devote so much of their life to ungrateful kids, so now they are making sure the younger generation is going to suffer just like they did.

They're always so loving creepy about it too. They always demand to know why you aren't married, when you're going to have a kid, why don't you want another 50 kids, why don't you want to do the most important thing a woman can do, why don't you want to preserve your legacy and family name, why are you so selfish and so on.

Even when folks are generally cool about hearing, "we don't have kids" it's always, "heh heh, just you wait, your wife is going to get all baby crazy and that's going to change real soon ho ho ho!"

Just gently caress off, boomer.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
The odds of having a child with down syndrome don't creep up above 1% until you're about 40. There really is no urgent reason to have kids before the age of 35. It's not like your eggs suddenly crumble to dust.

I just really hate the biological clock mindset because it encourages a lot of people to have kids before they're in a good spot financially and with the right person.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ebola Roulette posted:

The odds of having a child with down syndrome don't creep up above 1% until you're about 40. There really is no urgent reason to have kids before the age of 35. It's not like your eggs suddenly crumble to dust.

I just really hate the biological clock mindset because it encourages a lot of people to have kids before they're in a good spot financially and with the right person.

:agreed: It's depressing to see people in the thread going "BUT AFTER 30 :goonsay:" as though they risk of having a crab baby suddenly rockets up to 75%. Yes there is a risk, but it's not so appreciably great that having a kid in your 30s is a bad idea, and promoting any line of reasoning otherwise literally ruins multiple lives.

Bonzo posted:

It was definitely one of those "space age" things Boomers never grew out of, like Millies and our brief obsession with dead sodas like Surge and Crystal Pepsi (that always come back and are always "oh yeah this wasn't that great").

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

mind the walrus posted:

It was definitely one of those "space age" things Boomers never grew out of, like Millies and our brief obsession with dead sodas like Surge and Crystal Pepsi (that always come back and are always "oh yeah this wasn't that great").

Once when I was super thirsty in like 2002 I had a Mountain Dew: Live Wire slurpee (one of my first ever). I will carry the nostalgia of this pivotal event to my dying day. Before anyone says "ok boomer" gently caress you I'm entitled to remember trivial things fondly

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Intentionally reproducing in 2019 is immoral.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Boomers love putting words in the mouth of the Silent Generation

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

They're always so loving creepy about it too. They always demand to know why you aren't married, when you're going to have a kid, why don't you want another 50 kids, why don't you want to do the most important thing a woman can do, why don't you want to preserve your legacy and family name, why are you so selfish and so on.

Even when folks are generally cool about hearing, "we don't have kids" it's always, "heh heh, just you wait, your wife is going to get all baby crazy and that's going to change real soon ho ho ho!"

Just gently caress off, boomer.

My wife and I decided early on never to have kids. We're in our 30s now and she still gets boomers coming up to her and asking if she has kids. She's recently started using two responses and enjoying the reactions:

"I don't have kids because I'm afraid I'll eat my young"

or

"Just lucky I guess"

It's crazy, as a man I get asked a tiny fraction of the time why I dont have kids. But my wife gets the third degree constantly from random older people who judge her, or immediately disregard her for "I'm sure you'll change your mind".

I can't even imagine what it's like for someone who wants to have kids, can't, and have some boomer demand why they have no kids. Seriously, what's it to you that a stranger does or does not have kids? gently caress off and let other people be.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Solar Coaster posted:

Seriously, what's it to you that a stranger does or does not have kids? gently caress off and let other people be.

it's this OP

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

It's veterans day today, anyone see boomers talking about the great poo poo that their parents did and trying to take credit for it?

I was at a veterans day event at the University of Utah and to be fair the people they were honoring did some pretty incredible stuff in world war II and even Vietnam.

Mitt Romney was also there trying to suck the public's dick and talking about all the great people he was associated with lmao

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Don Cherry just got fired lol.

The :canada: Boomers are going to be really salty today

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh poo poo that's gonna bring out the racist Boomers in force.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Who even is Don Cherry?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Heath posted:

Who even is Don Cherry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCarkyvvFNI

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Heath posted:

Who even is Don Cherry?

Canadian John Madden, but way shittier

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Holy gently caress this made me realize John Madden is still alive.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
Taking credit for the WWII generation's achievements is step one of being a boomer.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Boomers love to assume they're the target of pointless gossip.

I was recently cleaning some things out of my mom's house, and because of the arrangement of the house, it' would've been about 100 times easier to take it out the front door rather than the back, but she insisted on the back door because "we don't live in loving Alabama" (implying that it would be a white trash move).

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lil Peeler posted:

It's veterans day today, anyone see boomers talking about the great poo poo that their parents did and trying to take credit for it?

I was at a veterans day event at the University of Utah and to be fair the people they were honoring did some pretty incredible stuff in world war II and even Vietnam.

Mitt Romney was also there trying to suck the public's dick and talking about all the great people he was associated with lmao

I was going to ask why they didn't honor anyone from the Iraq or Afghanistan wars but I guess those wars have to end before they honor the vets from them. Wouldn't surprise me if most Boomers forget those are a thing or think they weren't "real" wars so they don't count.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Holy poo poo, is this real? As in actually from Nazi Germany? Because those faces are hosed up! Especially the creepy little poo poo goblin in the bottom-right.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

limp_cheese posted:

I was going to ask why they didn't honor anyone from the Iraq or Afghanistan wars but I guess those wars have to end before they honor the vets from them. Wouldn't surprise me if most Boomers forget those are a thing or think they weren't "real" wars so they don't count.

Interestingly, boomers honoring any of the soldiers from Iraq or Afghanistan is very rare. Even veterans of the 1991 war. It's like their collective consciousness just stops with Vietnam.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Laurenz posted:

Interestingly, boomers honoring any of the soldiers from Iraq or Afghanistan is very rare. Even veterans of the 1991 war. It's like their collective consciousness just stops with Vietnam.

Conveniently, that was the last war any of them had a risk of being drafted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

limp_cheese posted:

I was thinking that too, there were a couple of vets who participated in OIF OEF, but no one under 40 I think. it's also a lot harder to say they fought and sacrificed for our freedoms by murdering hundreds of thousands of innocent people