Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously standard is such a hilarious mess, especially when one color has been given so many busted cards that some are being totally overshadowed by the others, saying Mentor of the Meek shouldn't have been printed is pretty hilarious for a designer to say. It's like the house is burning down and complaining that the fridge door was left open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what if the fridge complaint was made ages before the fire

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
The momir was really bad. Even I as a new player didn't enjoy it. Alternate art murder rider though!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

flatluigi posted:

what if the fridge complaint was made ages before the fire
I mean he's been crying about Harmonize for over a decade

With the color pie he never forgives or forgets except doesn't get upset about delver or snapcaster cuz whoops blue~

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's still a green identity

Yeah but the whole reason we’re in the mess that we’re in right now is because drawing cards in a card game shouldn’t be relegated to one or two or even three colors every color needs a way to draw cards for this game to be healthy. And consistently citing mark rosewater as the end-all be-all definitive edition and authority on what a card should and shouldn’t do is maybe not 100% correct since again here we are in this loving format

Also happily ever after it was printed in this block, white just gets the worst draw spell in the format lol

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 11, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can make a very effective argument that green has too much draw in this standard, but that doesn't mean a very green card should be changed to white.

If Innkeeper gave a card when an aura or equipment or teeny creature ETB it'd be white

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or maybe white should just get to draw cards when creatures come into play because there is sincerely no good argument against it at this point. All of whites best stuff is gone, it needs new stuff to stay relevant.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Saying it is green is all feels when there's specific examples of white getting abilities like that.

But then the design lead of a set that just got mangled in development doesn't like it oh nooooooooo

Bust Rodd posted:

Also happily ever after it was printed in this block, white just gets the worst draw spell in the format lol
Cantrips are technically available to all colors, artifacts, whatever. There are even sort of cantripping lands. Though I guess Happily Ever After is a group hug card?

Watching LegenVD play that recently was painful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spiderdrake posted:

Green didn't originally have card draw. It was given card draw. Arguing it's not "in the color identity" is loving stupid. Arguing mentor is a mistake when you're looking at an actual mistake format is hilarious.

The color pie is made up. Acting like it is sacred design when it has been violated, screwed up, retconned and reworked is just cargo culting. "As Richard Garfield" intended blue had 89% of abilities and then was given more. Maybe don't give more overpowered cards to the color that is currently overpowered in design?

Colour identity is real, strong and also my friend. If Red gets straight creature and PW removal you betcha I'm gonna be hoppin mad!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Eej posted:

Colour identity is real, strong and also my friend. If Red gets straight creature and PW removal you betcha I'm gonna be hoppin mad!

Red having direct damage spells that are restricted to creatures or planeswalkers or players only is encroaching on Black's color identity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I actually do think the gradual diluting of red's removal into clunky black removal is pretty lame. But it's not a stolen blue ability so maro don't care.

Design put direct damage over life loss on black cards and was like huh wow this all feels the same. I like when lifelink goes on midnight reaper. Good design work.

Eej posted:

It was, so they fixed that by making Oko and Scions too fat to be burnt out.

You made this bad format. YOU DID THIS. With your feels.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm pretty sure I've just flat out never played a worse format of Magic.

Look at this person who didn't play Planeswalker Momir, a momir format where you can get mana screwed on.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AngryBooch posted:

Red having direct damage spells that are restricted to creatures or planeswalkers or players only is encroaching on Black's color identity.

Counterpoint: Anger of the Gods? Great card!

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
I have no idea why OuaT is a green card

e: I mean in the sense that it casts for free

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

seizure later posted:

It casts for free because they started with the name and worked backwards which lead to them wanting to make sure you wanted to cast it first because flavour. It's in Green because of what the rest of the card does.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"White has gotten card draw even though I only have 2 examples that key off a very specific type of creature so this should be white" is a hell of a take

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

seizure later posted:

When I hear the phrase once upon a time I think of a fairy tale that usually takes place in or near an enchanted forest. Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White. Hell all those fairy tales came from Germanic regions and parts of France which is basically all woods.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"White has gotten card draw even though I only have 2 examples that key off a very specific type of creature so this should be white" is a hell of a take

a very specific type of creature, you say

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

evilweasel posted:

a very specific type of creature, you say

Green card draw giving a poo poo about what kind of creature is entering the battlefield is color pie encroachment on White.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What fable is Murderous Rider supposed to be referencing anyway? I would have guessed Headless Horseman, but he has a head, and they actually already made Headless Horseman in Legends.

Also it's cool that Questing Beast is an Arthurian legend thing. The 3D art when it hits the battlefield is really unnerving to me for some reason (and blocks everything on the screen when it swings in with haste).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This is great I had to concede two okomirs because my opponent spent his first full 2 turns highlighting my oko ability then his.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I made platinum. Pretty stoked since I have only played for about 3 weeks. Mastery lvl 44.
Played my own version of Golagri adventure with 1 Garruk and 1 Lilliana because that what I have :) no veil and 2 once upon a rime. And 2 Noxious grasp in sideboard. I do maindeck 2 drill bits that have been crushing it. It doesn't matter if it is a red,blue or green deck always good early.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
K yep this event is unbelievably rage inducing. Combine the slowest players you've ever seen with the biggest luck you've ever seen. Only 4 games in and I want to strangle every opponent.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
White's colour identity is that it sucks

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vando posted:

White's colour identity is that it sucks

White is pretty good when you attach it to another color. Or two in the case of esper!

But not this standard, no.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

It casts for free because they started with the name and worked backwards which lead to them wanting to make sure you wanted to cast it first because flavour. It's in Green because of what the rest of the card does.

seems like a pretty flimsy reason to give the historically best colour for mana ramping to also get free card draw.

it should have been black, and had an alternative cost of 2 Phyrexian mana, so everyone could use it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The historical best color for ramp is brown and Green has never, ever closed the gap.

Wasn't Once revealed as a MH1 card they moved into Throne for some reason?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Once Upon a Time should have been White, the color that traditionally cares about Lands and Creatures

White had Land Tax and Tithe, it's perfect!

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 11, 2019

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Once Upon a Time should have been White, the color that traditionally cares about Lands and Creatures

White had Land Tax and Tithe, it's perfect!

Looks pretty green to me

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=432879
https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=175036
https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=443041
https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=456569

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
White not getting any consistent way to draw cards on its own is a pretty big deal if the color pie is setting up to be: Blue can always draw, Black can draw with its life total as a resource, Red gets 'impulse' draw, Green can draw specifically creatures and lands.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

white should get card draw as a reward for killing nonwhite creatures

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/OndrejStrasky/status/1193986832792461314

My god the Mythic Champion is a net decker

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Our time has come.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Doltos posted:

Combine the slowest players you've ever seen with the biggest luck you've ever seen.

This is every format though??

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Doltos posted:

K yep this event is unbelievably rage inducing. Combine the slowest players you've ever seen with the biggest luck you've ever seen. Only 4 games in and I want to strangle every opponent.
Both players having Elk avatars is goddamn hilarious, but this is the only saving grace.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zero VGS posted:

What fable is Murderous Rider supposed to be referencing anyway? I would have guessed Headless Horseman, but he has a head, and they actually already made Headless Horseman in Legends.

Also it's cool that Questing Beast is an Arthurian legend thing. The 3D art when it hits the battlefield is really unnerving to me for some reason (and blocks everything on the screen when it swings in with haste).

was there a knight that killed guys? if so, it's that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Both players having Elk avatars is goddamn hilarious, but this is the only saving grace.
The splash screen is good too.

I tried it again today and while it's random as gently caress I still won a couple games off skill and planning. I think PWer momir's mana screw elements make it worse. I didn't encounter anyone playing slow. It's strange how it's always Doltos complaining about that.

I also turn 1'd a rapacious dragon and I tell ya, that was a fast game. Opponent made a 3/3 alligator elk and packed it up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

was there a knight that killed guys? if so, it's that.

I think I figured it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Knight_(Arthurian_legend)

quote:

A supernatural Black Knight is summoned by Sir Calogrenant (Cynon ap Clydno in Welsh mythology) in the tale of Yvain, the Knight of the Lion. The Black Knight bests Calogrenant, but the Black Knight is later killed by Ywain (Owain mab Urien) when he attempts to complete the quest that Calogrenant failed.[1]

What a dumbass, summoned a supernatural black knight and gets ganked by his own summon?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spiderdrake posted:

I tried it again today and while it's random as gently caress I still won a couple games off skill and planning. I think PWer momir's mana screw elements make it worse. I didn't encounter anyone playing slow. It's strange how it's always Doltos complaining about that.

To be fair my definition of slow might be a way lower threshold than yours. Anyone who has to highlight a couple of cards before doing anything falls into my most hated category and anyone who fires out cards and instantly jams end turn while spamming your go at me instantly becomes my best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I am more angered by the giant loving animations that cover the card in elkmir. Like, which 3/3 flier is that? I dunno, let's wait while a dragon animated by a time traveling mainframe studios judders across the screen. Oh, it's that standard unplayable one. Cool. Thanks.