Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just read his twitter timeline.

Oh, I know, I've seen the bootlicking. I'm just curious as to whether or not there was a specific instance. Like he was brainwashed when he was out on that first injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So I remember a time when he was Tyler Black all the way through I guess his first injury where everyone thought Seth Rollins was the best. A lot of people were even thrilled that he was the one to turn on the Shield. So what happened? I know he injured a bunch of people, including retiring Sting. And apparently he was dating a neo-Nazi? I'm just curious as to how everyone is on the "gently caress Rollins" train now, not that I disagree.

I posted this in one of the GDTs from last month so here you go:

me, like 3 weeks ago posted:

Over the course of 2019 Seth Rollins has:

• Won the Royal Rumble by eliminating next to nobody and having no memorable spots or moments during the match, on a show that should have been headlined by Becky Lynch winning the Women's RR match because she was on fire in January.
  • Gotten repeatedly annihilated on Raw by Brock in the leadup to Wrestlemania
  • Won the Universal title in a 3 minute opener at WM by kicking Brock in the dick (after a 12 minute beatdown by Brock before the bell)
  • Had a heatless feud with Baron Corbin for 3 months directly after Wrestlemania
  • Got outed that he and Becky were dating, which was driven home ad nauseum on TV every week and made people hate both of them (Becky bounced back somewhat, at least)
  • Vocally doubled, tripled, and quadrupled down on twitter several times about how "WWE is the best professional wrestling in the world" because he's a massive corporate bootlicker who's seemingly delusional enough to actually believe what he says
  • Gotten into twitter arguments with fans and other wrestlers
  • Somehow lost a twitter feud to noted dipshit Will Ospreay of all people, when he decided he'd bring up how much more money he makes than Will as a point in his favor
  • Lost the Universal title to Brock via MITB Cash-in. Also, not really related to Seth but something else horribly stupid, Brock was not in the MITB match until the finish when he ran out, climbed the ladder, and grabbed the briefcase after a bunch of midcarders had been killing themselves for 20 minutes
  • Won it back in what everyone says was a genuinely very good match at Summerslam (didn't watch so no opinion)
  • Won the Tag titles with Braun for some reason, like 2 weeks before they fought for the Universal title at Clash of Champions
  • Lost the Tag titles, which helped nobody and accomplished nothing
  • Beat Braun
  • The whole feud with The Fiend. To get into it with the level of detail it really needs would mean writing another summary as long as the one I just wrote. Cliffnotes version: Seth cowered in the corner and screamed in terror whenever the Fiend showed up. Had a bad Hell in a Cell match where they did the 1997 Kane treatment of a red light for the whole thing. Fiend no-sold about 20 curbstomps, a pedigree, and a million weapon shots. Ref stopped the match after Seth spent 5 minutes hitting him with stuff on the ground. Didn't tell the crowd poo poo, everyone assumed Hell in a Cell ended in a DQ (a year after Hell in a Cell ended in a no contest). They got split up by the draft and Seth is going to be captain of Team Hogan at Blood Money 2019 pt.2, except no wait WWE announced they'd be fighting for the title again in a Falls Count Anywhere match that "CANNOT BE STOPPED FOR ANY REASON" <--- their literal exact words. Also he's not on Team Hogan anymore. Then he burned down Firefly Funhouse, the one thing people have enjoyed about WWE for the last 6 months.

Seth is not having a great year.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There we go, thank you.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

God, literally everything I hear about WWE these days just reinforces my descision to bail on it being a good one. Like man, it was bad when I gave up, now it just sounds dire.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

I can't imagine a polygraph would work on Hogan very well since I don't think he so much 'lies' as 'has lost all grasp on reality'

One of my favorite Hogan things is when he gets asked about the Montreal Screwjob and obviously has no idea what happened but just runs with it. Even mentions HBK physically holding down Bret for a three count.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
At Wrestlemania 16 no less! https://youtu.be/m2BJDGfliAM

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

I posted this in one of the GDTs from last month so here you go:
this omits how he buried Moxley for leaving which imo was a big turning point for a lot of people

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

this omits how he buried Moxley for leaving which imo was a big turning point for a lot of people

gently caress him forever for this. But the joke is on Seth because now he's wrestling a Juggalo in the light bulb section of a Spencer's Gifts every week.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Especially because Moxley was very open and honest about suffering from depression in WWE and Seth Rollins came out with some bullshit about how Moxley couldn't cut it with the big boys and took his ball and went home and poo poo like that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Especially because Moxley was very open and honest about suffering from depression in WWE and Seth Rollins came out with some bullshit about how Moxley couldn't cut it with the big boys and took his ball and went home and poo poo like that.

It makes me think about how Hogan pulled that poo poo when Edge had to retire, which wasn't quite on the Rollins/Moxley level, but they were once a tag team based on Edge's hero worship, so it still felt especially gross to me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

It makes me think about how Hogan pulled that poo poo when Edge had to retire, which wasn't quite on the Rollins/Moxley level, but they were once a tag team based on Edge's hero worship, so it still felt especially gross to me.

Wasn't the tweet something like "REAL WRESTLERS WORK HURT - HH" within minutes of Edge's live retirement speech?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't the tweet something like "REAL WRESTLERS WORK HURT - HH" within minutes of Edge's live retirement speech?

Lol, Edge has taken bumps that Hogan would NEVER take. The leg drop THROUGH a ladder. The side effect off a stage through a table. The ladder spear which was probably murder for both Edge AND Jeff Hardy. The nutty bumps in that NO DQ match with Eddie Guerrero.

Someone with time should make a thread about all the hosed up things Hogan has done and said. Like an individual NY 64.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Hulkster didn't have to take stupid bumps to get over, brother.

The people knew where the power lied, jack.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The ladder spear which was probably murder for both Edge AND Jeff Hardy.

Pretty much since his debut, I have continously had two questions about Jeff Hardy.

1. How is he still alive?
2. ...is he still alive?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

rujasu posted:

Pretty much since his debut, I have continously had two questions about Jeff Hardy.

1. How is he still alive?
2. ...is he still alive?

jeff hardy is on that keith richards "embalmed while living" path

expecting him to do swantons through tables well into his 60s honestly. it wont be pretty, but...

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.
What year did Finlay beat Naito as a young lion? Just heard juice mention it on commentary but I can't find it

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
These are the interactions I could find between them on cagematch where Finlay was on the winning team. No idea who scored/ate the fall though.

David Finlay, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson, KUSHIDA & Ryusuke Taguchi defeat Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, EVIL, Hiromu Takahashi, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) (13:40)

NJPW Togi Makabe 20th Anniversary Show - TV-Show @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Japan

---

David Finlay, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi defeat Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi & Tetsuya Naito) (6:57)

NJPW G1 Climax 2017 - Tag 18 - TV-Show @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, Japan

---

David Finlay, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Ryusuke Taguchi defeat Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi & Tetsuya Naito) (6:58)

NJPW G1 Climax 2017 - Tag 16 - TV-Show @ Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium in Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I 100% promise you Finlay was not the one getting the win after LIJ was a thing.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What's the point of banning closed fists?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

fatherofmustard posted:

The sport is WRESTLING, not BOXING. :colbert:

(But yeah, that's basically the kayfabe reason. They're supposed to wrestle, not punch each other.)

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Davros1 posted:

The sport is WRESTLING, not BOXING. :colbert:

(But yeah, that's basically the kayfabe reason. They're supposed to wrestle, not punch each other.)

Then they should ban kicks too!

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

fatherofmustard posted:

Early wrestling was much more grapplefucking and used very few strikes. Also gave the heel another rule to break.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And let you do stuff like 'wrestler will be fined $100 per punch thrown' so the crowd gets to pop when the babyface is so mad they willingly spend a bunch of money to beat up the heel.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

And let you do stuff like 'wrestler will be fined $100 per punch thrown' so the crowd gets to pop when the babyface is so mad they willingly spend a bunch of money to beat up the heel.

I think some places actually used to throw money in the ring when a babyface was justified in breaking the rules but was issued a fine anyway. Then the wrestlers and ref got to split it all.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Me being the big New Japan mark I am these days, even though they serve more or less the same function I've developed a much greater appreciation for forearms over punches. Punches just feel like meaningless filler to me, even if they're delivered by someone who makes them look good.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
European uppercuts should be the only legal strike.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

fatherofmustard posted:

Then they should ban kicks too!

Technically, they're not allowed to strike with the toe of the boot (but the sole of the foot is fine)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

fatherofmustard posted:

1. As Nick Bockwinkel said, the name on the marquee is wrestling! In the early half of the 20th century, wrestling was often featured on a card with boxing. There was no reason to see Boxing and lovely Fake Boxing. Much wrestling up until the 50s could pass for believable submission grappling.

2. Real boxing punches are hard to fake, so allowing closed-fist brawls would just expose the business.

3. Banning punches allows for all kinds of chops, hammer fists, forearms, kicks, and other moves that that add excitement to the "Slam Bang Western Style" wrestling that developed in the 20s and is pretty much the basis for all modern styles of pro wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fatherofmustard posted:

On top of everything else, most wrestlers worked punches look like absolute dogshit. Unlike a kick you can't just slap the thigh to make it sound big.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Critical posted:

I think some places actually used to throw money in the ring when a babyface was justified in breaking the rules but was issued a fine anyway. Then the wrestlers and ref got to split it all.

Are there any vids of this happening in the ring? A quick YT search came up empty.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

anakha posted:

Are there any vids of this happening in the ring? A quick YT search came up empty.

Jericho talked about it his book; apparently it was big in the Euro rings, and Fit Finlay was the best at pissing a crowd off so much that the money would rain in.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Critical posted:

now that is some fine carnyin

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

On top of everything else, most wrestlers worked punches look like absolute dogshit. Unlike a kick you can't just slap the thigh to make it sound big.

I think Juice's Left Hand of God is super snappy

Also the no closed-fist punches rule gives us infinite elbow/forearm combos and those rule forever

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What’s the TL;DR on Will Ospreay being an idiot on social media? I’m only aware of the time he tried to lecture Sadie Gibbs(?) on the importance of giving a good impression to Japanese companies when she had to leave Stardom due to a death in the family.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pollyanna who used to be in PROGRESS came forward with a story about being sexually assaulted by Ospreay's friend Scotty Wainwright. Ospreay posted something along the lines of "It's disgusting how people can come on here and say they were sexually assaulted".

That was probably the worst. The rest is just general being dumb as hell.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Punch McLightning posted:

What’s the TL;DR on Will Ospreay being an idiot on social media? I’m only aware of the time he tried to lecture Sadie Gibbs(?) on the importance of giving a good impression to Japanese companies when she had to leave Stardom due to a death in the family.

other than the previously mentioned poo poo he pulled with Pollyanna, Ospreay's just been dumb like GWB said. he (and Ricochet) used to quote tweet gifs of a WWE wrestler doing a move of his with "hmm where i have seen this before?" constantly. which is funny because there was an incident where his girlfriend Bea Priestley used Manami Toyota's finisher and that caused a stink for a good bit.

i want to say he posted something about "why don't men have a National Men's Day?" once on National Women's Day, but i could be mixing that up with literally any indie male wrestler.

i think he's chilled out a bit and has realized what an idiot he's been, but never doubt Will's ability to say/do something dumb.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Ospreay is a very very stupid person who puts his foot in his mouth constantly but at the very least he seems aware of this and seems like he wants to be/is trying to be better, which is a really loving low bar but considering how many of his peers consistently fall below it it's worth recognizing I suppose.

Seriously, more wrestlers need to be like Juice Robinson and just realize they're too dumb to be on social media.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Ok my question is: what did Juice do that resulted in him deleting Twitter?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Ok my question is: what did Juice do that resulted in him deleting Twitter?

I don't think he ever had one. Maybe he used to have one WWE made him get as CJ Parker, but mostly he's just self-aware and realizes having a social media presence beyond being in David Finlay's instagram photos would inevitably get him into trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wouldn’t do for any of his girlfriends to see pictures of him with any of the others