Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

occamsnailfile posted:

Do you or other posters have some recs for good roguelikes/lites on itch that are not on Steam?

Hell I guess, "rogues that are not on Steam" generally would be nice to know about, I haven't been searching around much.

I completely rely on this thread for weird, niche roguelike info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'll take this chance to post again about our goon-developed (spider wisdom + yours truly) roguelike Escape from Aeon, available on itch!
We put out an updated demo last month and there's a lot of neat stuff we've added and tweaked in the time since.

https://gfycat.com/backsoupyamericansaddlebred
for example, this lunging melee attack for the player and an happy accident from a pre-existing system: when projectiles miss/get dodged, they continue travelling along the same path until they hit a blocker (like a wall or another enemy)
In the gfy above, this system also unexpectedly applied to the player while lunging.
Definitely a bug feature!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is DemonCrawl any good? The hook of "Minesweeper roguelite" is appealing-sounding...

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Peanut Butler posted:

oh I wish someone would outline the features, advantages, and benefits of the epic games store
It stops a complete and total monopoly on games distribution.

Valve aren't exactly benevolent caretakers. The normal valve take is 30%.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 13, 2019

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What’s the word on the street about Legend of Bumbo? I’m not thrilled about another pissbaby roguelite but it does look mechanically interesting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Near as I can tell, Shadow of the Wyrm is like ADOM in that it has no separate light sources per se, so your vision radius (outside of probably the odd utility spell or magic item) is pretty much a fixed value. Torches and Lamps are more of an Angband thing.

ADOM does have separate light sources including torches, but they're exclusively used to counter magical darkness. A torch will illuminate a small radius as you move through it, the spell will dispel darkness entirely.

Legend of Bumbo looks poo poo, pun not intended. It's just a Match 4 game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not just a match 4 game, it's a game where you do the match 4 gameplay in order to unlock specific attacks and spells. The match 4 stuff is built into turn-based combat in an interesting way.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

comedyblissoption posted:

It stops a complete and total monopoly on games distribution.

Valve aren't exactly benevolent caretakers. The normal valve take is 30%.

Not to get bogged down on the Valve Is No Angel chat, but 30% is here industry standard across storefronts, and if you really want to support developers by giving them the highest percentage possible, itch.io's take is set by the developer. Steam also gives a hell of a lot more functionality than EGS, and Epic's 12% also assumes they let your game on their store.

I'm 100% for a more generous developer split, but your argument doesn't hold water.

For a good roguelike on itch, Axu is really fun. You play a new prisoner on a prison planet and explore it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
match games are good and complaining about that aspect over the poop and pee aspect makes u a weirdo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

OutOfPrint posted:

Not to get bogged down on the Valve Is No Angel chat, but 30% is here industry standard across storefronts, and if you really want to support developers by giving them the highest percentage possible, itch.io's take is set by the developer. Steam also gives a hell of a lot more functionality than EGS, and Epic's 12% also assumes they let your game on their store.

I'm 100% for a more generous developer split, but your argument doesn't hold water.

For a good roguelike on itch, Axu is really fun. You play a new prisoner on a prison planet and explore it.
I'm saying that whatever the prior industry standard is could be subject to change under a monopoly or increased competition. Valve have actually changed their take structure under pressure from other storefronts.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a good way to defeat valve is abolishing capitalism

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is DemonCrawl any good? The hook of "Minesweeper roguelite" is appealing-sounding...

I finally bought it, and it's exactly what I thought it would be: Minesweeper with hit points, gold, and shops. When you level up you get tokens to buy upgrades or cosmetic stuff in the token shop (no, there aren't any microtransactions), some of which you need to get achievements to unlock. (I just bought it this afternoon, so I haven't gotten any of those yet.)

I always play Minesweeper too fast, so I haven't gotten very far. Still, it's going to be very good as a coffee-break game.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

been watching a guy stream demoncrawl a lot lately and i kept going back and forth on actually getting it myself but when i finally caved i ended up playing it for like seven hours straight

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not sure if the nuclear throne: territorial expansion mod is an audition to be hired by vlambeer but it should probably be considered an audition by vlambeer

jesus christ

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jedit posted:

ADOM does have separate light sources including torches, but they're exclusively used to counter magical darkness. A torch will illuminate a small radius as you move through it, the spell will dispel darkness entirely.
Right, dark rooms and getting eaten by grues. In my mind that makes it more of a specific countermeasure to environmental hazards the way water- and fireproof blankets are and not really part of a light source mechanic, but it's fair to point out.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

https://demoncrawl.com/faq/ posted:

DemonCrawl will retail on PC for 14.99 USD. Check out the product page on Steam for sales and more information. On Android, we are using a free-to-play model supported with ads and in-game purchases. Ads can be permanently disabled for a one-time fee.

Any of you tried the Android version? "Minesweeper with hit points, gold, and shops" sounds bloody brilliant, but not likely something i'll play much on the pc.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

valuum posted:

Any of you tried the Android version? "Minesweeper with hit points, gold, and shops" sounds bloody brilliant, but not likely something i'll play much on the pc.

I've now poked at it a bit. The UI is a bit of a disaster, honestly. Mystery meat menu, and in-game it's hold to reveal and double-tap to flag with no option to change this, and sometimes it interprets a hold as a drag and just wobbles the playfield around instead. It really does not shine on a touchscreen.

The actual gameplay is neat, though. Moment to moment, it's basically Minesweeper with an HP bar; revealing a mine does HP damage rather than producing an instant game over, but any given quest consists of multiple boards and HP carries over between them, so you have a limited number of mistakes you can make. Then on top of that you can get items (either in chests you find by revealing parts of the board, or by spending money you find the same way) -- some have passive effects (like recover 1 HP for every 10 turns you take), some can only be used once (like reveal all mines adjacent to tiles you've already cleared), and some can be used a limited number of times but recharge as you clear more squares. There's a few that are more unusual, too -- I found a quill pen that gives me a ten second timer at the start of each level, and when it expires, randomly reveals a number of squares equal to the number of moves I made in that time. The UI makes it not great but it would be very powerful on PC, I think.

There's a bunch of mechanics I haven't even poked at. There's both a gold shop (appears between levels; spend gold for items) and token shop (on main menu; earn tokens by leveling up and spend them to unlock new items/passives/dungeons). There's also curses and legendary items, which are mentioned in the tutorial but haven't shown up yet.

Unlike Tametsi it looks like it's also basic square grids, no different grid layouts; it also looks like it generates each board from scratch and doesn't guarantee that the board is solvable without guessing, e.g. this lower left corner I ended up with:

pre:
2!!!
##42
##1.
but the multiple HP and usable items mitigate that somewhat.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

valuum posted:

the ingame ads are truly heinous, I think you can buy em off for two bucks? might put this on my tablet at some point

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

What’s the word on the street about Legend of Bumbo? I’m not thrilled about another pissbaby roguelite but it does look mechanically interesting.

Mechanics are pretty fun as long as your items/spells aren't garbage, but much like in Isaac the variance is super high and you can have some frustrating losses. Game is really buggy at the moment though, soft-locks and major audio problems being the biggest offenders, with some really unprofessional UI gaffes making the whole thing feel very beta-build. I think if they keep iterating on it like they did with Isaac they could have a great game here, but it's got a ways to go at the moment.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Perpetual posted:

Mechanics are pretty fun as long as your items/spells aren't garbage, but much like in Isaac the variance is super high and you can have some frustrating losses. Game is really buggy at the moment though, soft-locks and major audio problems being the biggest offenders, with some really unprofessional UI gaffes making the whole thing feel very beta-build. I think if they keep iterating on it like they did with Isaac they could have a great game here, but it's got a ways to go at the moment.

Played a bit last night, unlocked the four basic characters and cleared once as the last. Audio completely cut out for me in the in-between level upgrade shop, but I haven't had any lock-ups.

I agree that it could be a great game, but it needs some polish and iteration. Each character has an inherent ability that makes them feel more unique than Binding of Isaac characters. As with all of the games in this genre board control is key: the best spell I have used just moves one column down by one space, for one mana.

I find myself having to try very hard not to start resetting over and over like in BoI, looking for new/interesting/good items in the first or second pool. One of the biggest UI issues I have run into is that you can't (that I can see) review what spells you have before you pick a new one, and once you pick one you can't cancel or keep your old spells.

I wonder what would happen if Edmund McMillen was put in charge of the mechanics of a game, and someone else took over the aesthetics. Because I enjoyed the mechanics of Binding of Isaac, but the entire poop and dead babies aesthetic is exhausting. I enjoy the games in spite of it. Nuclear Throne scratched the same itch without having the cringeyness.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Despite qualms before and after about the price, it helped me get through the congressional hearings today with my sanity intact. A solid 5 out of 6 hours of play without getting tired of it. If you're multi-tasking, seems solid.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Speaking of demons, how do people here feel about Demon: The Roguelike? It's basically Shin Megami Tensei as a roguelike, which is pretty cool.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of demons, how do people here feel about Demon: The Roguelike? It's basically Shin Megami Tensei as a roguelike, which is pretty cool.

demon is probably the best new traditional roguelike released in the last few years

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Uh wow you weren't kidding that it's basically a SMT roguelike, Demons asking for lifestones and all

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Demon is really, really good, though the combat has a weird feel to it that I'm not entirely sure I like. A lot of meaningful fights are long grinding battles of attrition, since stuff has tons of HP.

This is most egregious with wraiths. They're supposed to work the same way your character does, which means they have a stable of demons just like you, switch them out when they're near death, heal them, buff them, etc. Their demons regenerate when unsummoned and resist death just like yours. They have healers, often multiple, and built far better than the "wild" kind. And, of course, their relic will "struggle to keep them alive" like twenty loving times before it finally gives up the ghost. All of this means you will not get a single kill until you've chewed through every single HP on every single demon (and they all have six, obviously) plus the wraith itself a dozen times over. And then some of them have consume demon, so "killing" a demon instead means the wraith eats it at 1 HP, every single time. It's miserable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that sounds like a very bad idea. There's a reason why a degree of asymmetry is usually a given in any game where you are a sole (or, as it were, a very small group of) characters that can and will chew through near-infinite hordes of monsters: facing anything with capabilities similar to your own would be an absolute pain, because absurd survivability is part of what you do.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

ToxicFrog posted:

I've now poked at it a bit. The UI is a bit of a disaster, honestly. Mystery meat menu, and in-game it's hold to reveal and double-tap to flag with no option to change this, and sometimes it interprets a hold as a drag and just wobbles the playfield around instead. It really does not shine on a touchscreen.

The actual gameplay is neat, though. Moment to moment, it's basically Minesweeper with an HP bar; revealing a mine does HP damage rather than producing an instant game over, but any given quest consists of multiple boards and HP carries over between them, so you have a limited number of mistakes you can make. Then on top of that you can get items (either in chests you find by revealing parts of the board, or by spending money you find the same way) -- some have passive effects (like recover 1 HP for every 10 turns you take), some can only be used once (like reveal all mines adjacent to tiles you've already cleared), and some can be used a limited number of times but recharge as you clear more squares. There's a few that are more unusual, too -- I found a quill pen that gives me a ten second timer at the start of each level, and when it expires, randomly reveals a number of squares equal to the number of moves I made in that time. The UI makes it not great but it would be very powerful on PC, I think.

There's a bunch of mechanics I haven't even poked at. There's both a gold shop (appears between levels; spend gold for items) and token shop (on main menu; earn tokens by leveling up and spend them to unlock new items/passives/dungeons). There's also curses and legendary items, which are mentioned in the tutorial but haven't shown up yet.

Unlike Tametsi it looks like it's also basic square grids, no different grid layouts; it also looks like it generates each board from scratch and doesn't guarantee that the board is solvable without guessing, e.g. this lower left corner I ended up with:

pre:
2!!!
##42
##1.
but the multiple HP and usable items mitigate that somewhat.

Gave it a go based on this, figured how bad can it be. But drat the UI is terrible. On my very first board I got one of those unsolvables with 2 unknowns in a corner, covered by other bombs, with 1 of the 2 being a bomb. Since there's no info anywhere I thought it was impossible to left-click to open squares, because I just couldnt do it. The game interprets every touch as a panning move. There's no quit/go to menu, so the game was just stuck there, as it jumps right back in if you just close the app.

The ads are indeed pretty bad/ugly, but at least the ones that pop up can be closed after a few seconds.

Seems like something that could be a great mobile game :( I really like how it mitigates the unsolvables by having hp, armor, items and such that avoids game over.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

valuum posted:

Gave it a go based on this, figured how bad can it be. But drat the UI is terrible. On my very first board I got one of those unsolvables with 2 unknowns in a corner, covered by other bombs, with 1 of the 2 being a bomb. Since there's no info anywhere I thought it was impossible to left-click to open squares, because I just couldnt do it. The game interprets every touch as a panning move. There's no quit/go to menu, so the game was just stuck there, as it jumps right back in if you just close the app.

It's meant to be double-tap to flag, long press to reveal, swipe to pan grid, but its threshold for what it considers a swipe vs. a long press is really sensitive. I end up panning a lot when I intend to reveal. I believe there are tuning options for this in the settings menu, although I don't know how useful they are.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

ToxicFrog posted:

It's meant to be double-tap to flag, long press to reveal, swipe to pan grid, but its threshold for what it considers a swipe vs. a long press is really sensitive. I end up panning a lot when I intend to reveal. I believe there are tuning options for this in the settings menu, although I don't know how useful they are.

I was pretty excited by the concept of this game, but oh my god is all of this true. Half the fun of minesweeper is the flow of popping a bunch of easy blocks in a row, and this just makes it so painful and fussy the game's just unplayable for me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OtspIII posted:

I was pretty excited by the concept of this game, but oh my god is all of this true. Half the fun of minesweeper is the flow of popping a bunch of easy blocks in a row, and this just makes it so painful and fussy the game's just unplayable for me.

Yeah, it's not quite unplayable for me, but it's not good, either.

This has at least made me interested in the PC version, since I think it would be a lot more fun with the mouse.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I seem to remember people ITT having problems with Demon when it came out but dont remember the specific complaints, has it been patched up decently based on feedback or something or have the people who just werent that into it moved on?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, it's not quite unplayable for me, but it's not good, either.
This has at least made me interested in the PC version, since I think it would be a lot more fun with the mouse.

I haven't had any control problems with the PC version of DemonCrawl, I mean, besides playing too fast and clicking on the wrong things.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I really liked demon except yeah, the wraiths can eat a loving poo poo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a beginners guide or any good tips for Demon? Not really sure what to be doing, kinda flailed around to the first branch I found on floor 3 and lost 2 of my demons so I kinda called it the quits.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, we can be terrible at it together, I suppose. I haven't actually tried playing the game in years and literally only remembered it moments before I made that post further up, so I have to get into it from the beginning as well. I remember having some real problems with it last time I played, which was only for an hour at best. What people are saying about bad design decisions isn't very encouraging, but hey, that's what dnSpy is for.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I dunno of a guide to point you to, but I can throw down some basic tips.

Priority one when you start is to fill up your roster of dudes. A good set to aim for is exactly what you might guess: two tanks, two DPS, two healers. This way if one guy gets hurt you can swap him out without losing a key role. Longer term, it's nice to spread out your resistances and damage types, so that if you meet enemies with powerful fire damage you can swap in guys who aren't weak to it.

Good early-game demons: zombies, slimes, those weird cats that cast Guilt, most things with ranged attacks, anything that heals but especially faeries. Abbey lubbers are okay, but fall off quickly. Goblins charge way too much. Dudes that cast debuffs and such are usually trash, but crap demons can still have powerful skills (which they're just not optimized to take advantage of), so whenever you see a new one, skim through and see if it has something useful.

Cash is tight early on. Mostly you want to spend it on fusing demons. When you fuse, the first demon acquires whatever the second demon's modifier is (you can see what that is on its character screen), giving it stat boosts, resistances, and some random skills corresponding to that modifier. The second demon dies. You can't fuse onto a demon that's already been upgraded this way. So whenever you have a passable demon and a source of a passable modifier for it, go ahead and fuse. One notable exception: when you find a Gandayah, grab it, copy Tireless onto yourself, and then ditch it. That's 25 Max SP, forever, for basically no work.

Demons level up, but will nevertheless inevitably be eclipsed by better demons you find later on. Don't get too attached.

As always in RLs, don't be afraid to just loving run. Movement takes half as long as acting, and your demons can cover your escape. If all else fails, remember demons are replaceable.

The most dangerous enemies are ones with good ranged attacks, especially AOE ones. I'm looking at you, loving air elementals. Often these aren't even worth fighting, just leave and never come back.

e: One non-obvious point about fusion: each unique demon has its own unique, stronger modifier to pass onto others. However, if you modify the unique demon itself, then that unique modifier will be overwritten and lost. Thus, you might consider leaving uniques unmodified so that you can put their cool modifiers on other demons.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 18, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's some good starter tips. Mind if I repost that in the beforeiplay thread?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah thanks for the tips, def points me in the right direction.

Another thing, is the 'solo' Relic viable or just a challenge/meme option? If it is viable how should you go about doing it? Any particular spells you need asap onto yourself? Do you still use 1 demon out for support..I couldn't see the exact numbers on the bonus for having less demons or the one for having 0, so I wasn't sure exactly how big it was.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

That's some good starter tips. Mind if I repost that in the beforeiplay thread?

Go for it. Hope it helps.

e: Actually, I loaded it back up (it's been a while) and I dunno if it changed or I just misremembered, but fusion costs a lot more than I remember it costing. It's probably more cost-effective to spend your early-game bucks on copying abilities around, now.

megane fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
ToME just got a new class in an update to the EoR dlc earlier today, a new tinker class called Annihilator, based around heavy weapons/turrets/a rideable spidertank companion. Looks rad, tho I'm still working to unlock it atm.

There is also some kinda weird 'evolution' thingy for archmage that let's you change their class to technomancer part way through a game or something? Not sure on how that all works yet.