Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

marxismftw posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks the writing is extremely bad, the tone is all over the place, and pedro pascal is the wrong voice for a strong, silent type character?

I mean, I want to like it, but the first ep seemed like it was trying really hard to be completely uninteresting.

I didn't really like it either. Pascal is a real expressive actor and so far this does him no favors being a stoic canvas of metal.

Overall I think most of the technical aspects worked with the visuals and the VFX, but the writing left something to be desired. The whole time I just felt.. bored? It looks like Star Wars but there was no soul behind those eyes.

Could've been some poor direction and maybe it improves later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I'm a bitter old man who hates everything, Yet somehow I didn't hate this.
I think i even liked it. It felt like a real short 40 minutes.

IG's animation was a strong choice which really cemented his artifical nature. It was really good looking for tv. The carbon freezing thing annoyed me, but i got over it pretty quickly.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and its old school release schedule. I honestly think i would of binged watched the whole thing without moving if it was released all at once.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Jerkface posted:

bill burr is a bounty hunter now

Yeah someone in CineD corrected me with screenshots of the leaks I swear I saw him in that role in. Oh well very happy hes still in it.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
the opening scene was very cringe and bad but I thought the episode got better as it went along. nothing earth shattering really but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. the atmosphere, effects and music were all pretty good. story/dialogue was predictable but pretty on brand for a star war. I always have to remind myself that there will usually be some level of cheese in a star wars movie/show and it's part of the charm. hopefully there are some nice surprises along the way.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

Could be. He hands the credits over right before the line and that little thin ingot looks stretched to make even the pauldron, but :shrug:

I guess either interpretation communicates the intent of the scene whether it's the cash or the steel: He is a foundling and his amoral bounty hunting is in the service of supporting his Mando Tribe Orphanage.

You could make a breastplate out of that ingot, especially if it was being cast like the pauldron.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I thought this was cool but drat the music was bad and very distracting and I dunno what the gently caress they were thinking

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I actually can’t tell if the music itself is the problem or if it just synced up really poorly with the scene but I don’t know if I’ve ever wanted a movie score to end as much as the one that played when he fought those potato fish-camel monsters

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Are people watching the same show I was? That was laughably bad.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

seiferguy posted:

Well I'd LOVE to watch this show but alas

Apparently disney+ doesn't work with a Galaxy S9 :smith:

who are you weirdos watching on a phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good news nerds.

Music is on spotify
https://open.spotify.com/album/4xFmHg5dYvaqmn9ZNQpjWL

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Show was really good. I wasn't expecting any humor at all, but they peppered it in nicely. Looks beautiful. That score slaps. Star Wars-y with an 80's feel. drat.

Question though, old Imperial dude paid him with a block of metal that is apparently some old Mando metal, I guess? Which they melted down into a shoulder pad for him? What was that all about?

Also, the ending, I know we know nothing about Yoda's species, because Lucas wanted it that way, but is there any reason to think they're all that special? Sure, Yoda was, but that doesn't mean his species should be. I wonder if they're just super rare, and that doctor wanted to do experiments? Or if they'll end up being super attuned to the Force or something.

Anyway, yeah, the show hits.

If the DND dragonborne are any indication, they will be called forceborne

or yodarian

if you are mad I didn't spoil that stop reading the thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really hope it's not literally Yoda Jr. There's a million reasons why that makes no sense but since when has that ever stopped the Lucasfilm Story Group.

Yoda fucks

get over it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Harlock posted:

I didn't really like it either. Pascal is a real expressive actor and so far this does him no favors being a stoic canvas of metal.

Overall I think most of the technical aspects worked with the visuals and the VFX, but the writing left something to be desired. The whole time I just felt.. bored? It looks like Star Wars but there was no soul behind those eyes.

Could've been some poor direction and maybe it improves later.

It depends on where they go with the Mandalorian. Given the hook in episode 1 it's quite possible they're aiming to have an arc for the MC where he starts developing relationships with people that can give Pascal something to play with

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Gay Horney posted:

this is for people who just want More Star Wars and don't exercise any thought beyond that.

I am very smart furthermore :goonsay:

Show was fun. I was surprised when the end came, felt like it had more time to go.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

That had more of a metal hurlant feel to it than I was expecting. I dug it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

I did watch it. I was hoping for something beyond the most obvious and immediate Bounty Hunter plot I've ever seen. No surprises at all in the plot and it doesn't look all that great either. I thought rogue one was at least bold in its ending minus the fan service at the end. this is for people who just want More Star Wars and don't exercise any thought beyond that.

and yet you participate in star wars

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Didn't expect to like it as much as I did, and the time went quickly. Not-IG-88 was fun as hell.

Only thing I disliked was the soundtrack, which seemed all over the place. Also the main theme feels like it's lifted from a Temple of Doom track, and I found that distracting as hell.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Just watched it two times in a row. I really enjoyed it. Its the first episode of a series, we are going to see development. I really liked the way IG-11 moved. That was cool as hell. I hope to see more fun cameos. I am fully on board.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The soundtrack was serviceable to me except the peice when he's learning to ride the lizard from Golden Axe. That didn't sound... right.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Harlock posted:

Actually one of the things I like is he doesn’t come off as a complete stoic; he’s professional and all, but when he gets out of his comfort zone it shows. Definitely appreciate this guy doesn’t feel like Fett, I can’t visualize ol’ Boba getting dumped on his rear trying to ride something or getting more than a little nervous when the tactical situation starts looking bad. Also he gets humiliated quite a bit, if not quite to the level of “get sent into a giant monster mouth by a blind man” (I guess that’s one commonality between him and Fett though, but maybe by spacing out the screw ups he won’t wind up making one giant fatal one like Fett did).

Can’t make any call how good the show is really, this was too much of an introduction episode to get a decent idea of the way the series is going to play out. It has potential at least, but want to see where it goes now that they’ve set up the basic premise.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

CelestialScribe posted:

Are people watching the same show I was? That was laughably bad.

Way better than any of the marvel tv stuff. Dialogue wasn't ridiculous, the CG and costumes were good. I enjoyed it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

MadDogMike posted:

Actually one of the things I like is he doesn’t come off as a complete stoic; he’s professional and all, but when he gets out of his comfort zone it shows. Definitely appreciate this guy doesn’t feel like Fett, I can’t visualize ol’ Boba getting dumped on his rear trying to ride something or getting more than a little nervous when the tactical situation starts looking bad. Also he gets humiliated quite a bit, if not quite to the level of “get sent into a giant monster mouth by a blind man” (I guess that’s one commonality between him and Fett though, but maybe by spacing out the screw ups he won’t wind up making one giant fatal one like Fett did).

Can’t make any call how good the show is really, this was too much of an introduction episode to get a decent idea of the way the series is going to play out. It has potential at least, but want to see where it goes now that they’ve set up the basic premise.

It seems like he's lower down on the rung of seniority, and probably experience, in the Madalorian hierarchy. At least that's the feeling I got from the scene in the armoury.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It does feel like at times Filoni takes great pleasure in dismantling Traviss' vision of the Mandalorians.

I certainly take pleasure in it, anyway.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This show is cool and good.

I don't expect all of the Star Wars memberberries to be as prevalent as the show goes on, but having the same species and technologies in other places makes sense and makes it feel like a real galaxy, and not like where everything gets completely redesigned every movie just for the sake of selling new toys.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I watched a YouTube video where they paused some scenes in the trailer and you could see the group attacking the civilians in the Mandalorian's flashback were separatist droids, so I guess that's why he doesn't like them.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Harlock posted:

I disagree. I thought he did well acting without his face, it was subtle but he really did give off an impression of what his character is like.

For instance, Pascal had an obvious swagger in the first bar scene that carried through the show, and it said a lot. It reminded me of Yul Brenner.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Clone wars was good.

S1 of Rebels had potential then it just went from bad to worse.

I only saw six episodes of the weird racing show and it was a trash fire.

Given the above, is it worth my time to check out Mandalorian? Deciding whether or not to get Disney+ and the Simpsons aspect ratio has me leaning towards "no" for now but the Pixar catalog is tantalizing. So I'm looking for a hook.

Also, which version(s) of the OT does Disney+ have? Can I yub nub?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I've always said: "give Dave Filoni gently caress-you-money and you'll get the greatest thing ever."

I was right.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Disney didn't do the Simpsons aspect ratio, Fox did about 5 years ago. I have no idea why it's a thing again.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shbobdb posted:

Clone wars was good.

S1 of Rebels had potential then it just went from bad to worse.

I only saw six episodes of the weird racing show and it was a trash fire.

Given the above, is it worth my time to check out Mandalorian? Deciding whether or not to get Disney+ and the Simpsons aspect ratio has me leaning towards "no" for now but the Pixar catalog is tantalizing. So I'm looking for a hook.

Also, which version(s) of the OT does Disney+ have? Can I yub nub?

As much as Resistance has it's down points, calling it that racing show is very disingenuous. The latter half is pretty much all First Order related

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

FogHelmut posted:

Disney didn't do the Simpsons aspect ratio, Fox did about 5 years ago. I have no idea why it's a thing again.

Distinction without a difference in terms of my purchasing preference.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Rocksicles posted:

As much as Resistance has it's down points, calling it that racing show is very disingenuous. The latter half is pretty much all First Order related

I haven't watched that. Worthwhile? I thought Rebels was a bit hamstrung by how young it was aiming but still enjoyed it; if that helps color a recommendation.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Resting Lich Face posted:

I haven't watched that. Worthwhile? I thought Rebels was a bit hamstrung by how young it was aiming but still enjoyed it; if that helps color a recommendation.

Depends how much you want to like it. It's very bland and full of cartoon style characters. But there is some good stuff in there, the animation is better than rebels. Once the main story shows up and they get some meat in the soup, it gets better

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Resting Lich Face posted:

A lot of people will not recommend it, but I support it enthusiastically. I really dig the animation style and it portrays the speed of flight much better than rebels or clone wars ever did. The dog fighting stuff is actually good in this.

The racing aspect was a good hook into season 1 but we're past that now and it didn't matter much in the 2nd half of S1 as someone stated. The current season is taking place right after / during TLJ and its got some good stuff going on.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rocksicles posted:

I am sorry that I cannot more fully describe the full arc of a show that I clearly have only seen the first six episodes of since I explicitly said that.

If that detail made it impossible for you to understand the question, I apologize. Now that I have restated it, would you please address the question?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Shbobdb posted:

I am sorry that I cannot more fully describe the full arc of a show that I clearly have only seen the first six episodes of since I explicitly said that.

If that detail made it impossible for you to understand the question, I apologize. Now that I have restated it, would you please address the question?

Whew bit spicy there. Easy there. We have new Star Wars content tonight and it's good. This is a time for celebration not slapfighting. :beerpal:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shbobdb posted:

The first 6 episodes aren't even 20% about racing. It just happens that some of the main characters race in their spare time because they are pilots. There are 3 first order episodes in those 6 episodes.

So... is it worth you checking out a live action show, based on your apparent dislike of two animated shows? That's for you to tell me, not me to tell you.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So, so far I am very inclined to like the Mandalorian despite *despising* most Mando portrayals in the EU. For reference... I loved the 'Old Ben' feel of the Jedi and a proper war moving around it. Its why I feel for Pelleaon over even Thrawn as an IMP character. I've always enjoyed the "Wars" in Star Wars. Between Rogue One and The Mandolorian I find Disney to be better at gritty Star Wars than Lucas - though still sporting many Lucas issues with 7-8/probably 9. It is an entirely strange connection to make - heck Mando music doesn't even sound 'Star Wars' in the traditional sensebut feels moreso in general (as does the plot). I can't say too much else I suppose. I look forward to where this series takes itself and I hope it does half as well by its characters as AoS has.' (Disclaimer: Not 100% disconnected from Disney but judgments my own.)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
TIL there is full japanese audio for the mandalorian, highly recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rocksicles posted:

The first 6 episodes aren't even 20% about racing. It just happens that some of the main characters race in their spare time because they are pilots. There are 3 first order episodes in those 6 episodes.

So... is it worth you checking out a live action show, based on your apparent dislike of two animated shows? That's for you to tell me, not me to tell you.

I am going to try and communicate to you what is wrong with your posting in a language I think you may understand: