Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

I would rather run a Riley-Multimatic LMP2 than a Nissan DPi. Especially if it includes getting called a fuckhead by Larry Holt at technical meetings

you would also have to pay the $1 mil or whatever for the rights to run it as a Nissan DPi, so the P2 option just gets cheaper.

yeah if that's had the updates same as the Mazda it might be a decent package. The engines and transmission are solid on the set P2, and there's proof the Mazda chassis can win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ah drat, Australian motorsport commentator Mike Raymond has passed away:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/08/legendary-commentator-mike-raymond-dies/

Any Australian who watched the Bathurst 1000 and Group C/A/Supercar Touring series during the 70s to 90s will remember him and his catchphrase "Be there"

Here's a nice rundown on his life: https://www.speedcafe.com/2010/06/25/mike-raymond/

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

You Am I posted:

Ah drat, Australian motorsport commentator Mike Raymond has passed away:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/08/legendary-commentator-mike-raymond-dies/

Oh, dammit :(

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
First non-hybrid front row in WEC since Sebring 2012

Race starts 11pm EST, 4 hours of Shanghai

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Due to half the stages being on fire, Rally Australia is going to be drastically changed to try and get the WRC component to run at all. National and Classics have already been cancelled (so out of a field of about 80, there's only 26 cars that will have an event at all)

Unfortunantly Tuesday is looking like a severe fire weather day so the fires will spread and TBH there's prolly only going to be half a dozen stages at best that could possibly be used at all.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Due to half the stages being on fire, Rally Australia is going to be drastically changed to try and get the WRC component to run at all. National and Classics have already been cancelled (so out of a field of about 80, there's only 26 cars that will have an event at all)

Unfortunantly Tuesday is looking like a severe fire weather day so the fires will spread and TBH there's prolly only going to be half a dozen stages at best that could possibly be used at all.

I'm amazed theyre attempting to get anything running at all tbh. I get the feeling they'll end up having to cancel the event especially after whatever happens on Tuesday.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sandown 500 is on today. DJPR has been hit with an engine penalty for an irregular engine in their car for Bathurst 1000 qualifying last month.

Holy poo poo at this Toyota GT86 support race crash today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxFtAYTWKeA

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Just missed the tow truck, would have saved them some time if it landed on the tray.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WEC 4 Hours of Shanghai started about 25 minutes ago, there’s already been on GTE Am car clipped and sent into the pits. The lead P2 car was also inside the top 5 for a bit before the Rebellion finally got past.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

You Am I posted:

Sandown 500 is on today. DJPR has been hit with an engine penalty for an irregular engine in their car for Bathurst 1000 qualifying last month.

The 2 strand armco that Sandown uses is nowhere near good enough

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm amazed theyre attempting to get anything running at all tbh. I get the feeling they'll end up having to cancel the event especially after whatever happens on Tuesday.

They might literally run the extended Super Specials over and over again to get the minimum distance to have the event count. Basically like what happened with Rally GB some years ago when most of the stages were closed due to Foot and Mouth - just run a rallysprint track over and over again.

My brother's new car was supposed to make an appearence but.... *shrug* there's far bigger things to care about esp with just how bad Tuesday is supposed to be.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

You Am I posted:

I like the way the two guys get out of the truck at the end with no urgency. One of them even checks his pockets then go back to get whatever he forgot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pablo Bluth posted:

I like the way the two guys get out of the truck at the end with no urgency. One of them even checks his pockets then go back to get whatever he forgot.

I dunno, they seem to get out of the truck pretty quick there. I'm sure most people would take a minute to go, "What the gently caress was that?" Like they are parked in a spot that's outside the race track barriers and got hit from behind.

It's not like there was any time at all for someone to radio to them that there was a car barrel rolling at them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rally Australia officially cancelled. Fires are ramping up again

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/sportscar365/status/1193995896230469633?s=19

Incredibly, Mazda is still Mazdaing

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Joest admit defeat: "Even we couldn't fix this shitbox."

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Bad move.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
All signs have been pointing to a split between Mazda and Joest for a while now, as the sudden string of successes last year coincided with Multimatic assuming control of the race engineering and car development and pushing Joest into a lesser role within the program. I imagine they’ll run under the Mazda Multimatic banner next year. I don’t think this is a disaster or a mistake in light of what a contract with Joest no doubt costs and the relatively low impact of their participation at this point. I love both organizations and cherish the memories but an amicable divorce is probably not the worst option for either right now

e: this is of course assuming that losing Joest doesn’t cause them to lose out on Jarvis and Tincknell, as they’re far and away their two best drivers

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The reading-between-lines has been that Multimatic has been taking much more responsibility, so it’s not exactly shocking. Somebody (Jalopnik?) suggested the timing is due to Japanese contract dates, which makes sense in its own way (concluding probably March 31st).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

All signs have been pointing to a split between Mazda and Joest for a while now, as the sudden string of successes last year coincided with Multimatic assuming control of the race engineering and car development and pushing Joest into a lesser role within the program. I imagine they’ll run under the Mazda Multimatic banner next year. I don’t think this is a disaster or a mistake in light of what a contract with Joest no doubt costs and the relatively low impact of their participation at this point. I love both organizations and cherish the memories but an amicable divorce is probably not the worst option for either right now

e: this is of course assuming that losing Joest doesn’t cause them to lose out on Jarvis and Tincknell, as they’re far and away their two best drivers

If Jarvis and Tincknell were brought in by Joest then I imagine they'll be packing their bags and rolling out along with them. Mazda is probably going to have a hard time attracting decent drivers to replace those two if they're out, with the shake up at Mazda Racing NA and also Joest being shown the door.

Silly season is being extra silly.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

If Jarvis and Tincknell were brought in by Joest then I imagine they'll be packing their bags and rolling out along with them. Mazda is probably going to have a hard time attracting decent drivers to replace those two if they're out, with the shake up at Mazda Racing NA and also Joest being shown the door.

Silly season is being extra silly.

There's a glut of platinum, super talented drivers on the market right now with the end of the Ford GT program and BMW's WEC withdrawal and factory drivers need work. Olivier Pla looked extremely good as the endurance driver in the #55 last year, for example, and probably deserves a full time ride with them this year. I think hypothetical replacements to Jarvis and Tincknell would still be good drivers, but those two were the difference makers last year. I think losing those two, and keeping Bomarito (who looked really inconsistent last year but finished out OK) and Nunez (who just isn't really developing very fast) would be a far bigger blow to their chances next year than losing Joest's transporters and mechanics.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
They'll almost certainly keep bomarito and nuñes, they're the 2 that came from the MRT24 program. Might also call back the others that got bounced by the joest drivers (Tom long and....??), Though I think shopping the market for some seriously good unemployed pros is in order right now

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There's a glut of platinum, super talented drivers on the market right now with the end of the Ford GT program and BMW's WEC withdrawal and factory drivers need work.

and Multimatic was involved in the Ford GT program too. Can't hurt their chances.

Wonder who's running the (supposed) third Mazda that we're getting this year too...Ganassi's moved staff over for Marcus Ericsson's IndyCar to support that third entry, you think they'd keep partnering with Multimatic for that Mazda DPi?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wonder how the finances are going to work out for giving Joest 2 (large) races worth of factory support, and then shifting to a new race team. Though, apparently Mazda Team Joest is really only Joest in name only, all the key positions are filled by Mazda and Multimatic personnel, and Joest has had a really minor role since 2018.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

It touches upon most of what’s already been said here, but for anyone who hasn’t already read it, Marshall Pruett lays out the downfall of the Mazda-Joest partnership in this article: https://racer.com/2019/11/12/pruett-mazdas-hidden-message/

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

and Multimatic was involved in the Ford GT program too. Can't hurt their chances.

Wonder who's running the (supposed) third Mazda that we're getting this year too...Ganassi's moved staff over for Marcus Ericsson's IndyCar to support that third entry, you think they'd keep partnering with Multimatic for that Mazda DPi?

Marshall Pruett has said that the third Mazda was/is being looked into by Spirit of Daytona, possibly with mustang sampling backing coming from one of the drivers in the 5 AXR car

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Marshall Pruett has said that the third Mazda was/is being looked into by Spirit of Daytona, possibly with mustang sampling backing coming from one of the drivers in the 5 AXR car

Kinda curious to see how the prettiest DPi wrapped in the worst DPi livery looks if this deal comes off.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

BAH GAWD THAT’S PEUGEOT’S MUSIC https://racer.com/2019/11/13/peugeot-sport-commits-to-fia-wec-hypercar/

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

*opening of La Marseillaise plays, followed by AYAYAYAYAYAYAY*

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Is this so the ACO can rules lawyer them into a LeMans win

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Is this so the ACO can rules lawyer them into a LeMans win

Have they ever done that in the past?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WIth the FCA and PSA merger does that mean we'll get 24 hours of a hybrid hellcat engine?????

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Have they ever done that in the past?

Lol

When haven’t they

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Lol

When haven’t they

Didn't Audi win that one year when all 4 Peugeot cars blew up?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Didn't Audi win that one year when all 4 Peugeot cars blew up?

[Fake edit] yeah reading the history articles today, it sounds like they had titanium conrods fail in all four cars one year.

Results =/= intent though. It’s been the job of Porsche and then Audi to play the Road Runner role of interrupting France’s best laid plans for :france: wins at Le Mans, whether Renault or Peugeot.

Hell, it even rubbed off on the Toyota GT-One to an extent.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jordan Taylor's moving to GT next year, driving the #3 Corvette with Antonio Garcia.

I'm curious to see who WTR gets to replace him because, with a few other teams shutting down, there might be some decent-to-good names out there looking for a quality ride.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/DinkMagic/status/1195072284324745216

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gently caress ferrari

also gently caress ford, but like, 4% less i guess. i dont know. but crucially, gently caress ferrari.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They're testing Bloodhound LSR at the moment. they've got 562mph so slightly over half of their final target.

https://twitter.com/Bloodhound_LSR/status/1195215147012411393

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jordan Taylor's moving to GT next year, driving the #3 Corvette with Antonio Garcia.

I'm curious to see who WTR gets to replace him because, with a few other teams shutting down, there might be some decent-to-good names out there looking for a quality ride.

https://twitter.com/WayneTaylorRcng/status/1195343535073042437

Van der Zande will be joined by Ryan Briscoe for the full season, with Kamui Kobayashi and Scott Dixon joining for the Rolex.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 15, 2019