Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's quite literally what if terraformars but the bug guys are good and not specifically framed to evoke rape imagery? Which too be fair takes a way a lot of the horrible of Terraformars, but is still pretty bad.

Yeah, I'm not dying to defend Gigantomakhia's take on race, but Terraformars is about an unknowable Other that in traditional ur-fascist fashion is both subhuman and disgusting and a superhuman threat, while Gigantomakhia is about a native tribe defending themselves from literal white imperialists.

Again, not defending Gigantomakhia's many problems, but few things deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Terraformars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

LordMune posted:

Yeah, I'm not dying to defend Gigantomakhia's take on race, but Terraformars is about an unknowable Other that in traditional ur-fascist fashion is both subhuman and disgusting and a superhuman threat, while Gigantomakhia is about a native tribe defending themselves from literal white imperialists.

Again, not defending Gigantomakhia's many problems, but few things deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Terraformars.

Maybe Usumgallu will fight some Ur-fascists in Duranki! :rimshot:

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Finally decided to re-read this after dropping it five years ago near the end of the Golden Age arc when Griffith gets captured. Took nearly two weeks of reading, but I'm finally caught up! At some point I just got sucked in and spent all of my free time reading. Very engrossing series overall! I would go as far to say that this is the best dark fantasy series I've encountered so far.

OhFunny posted:

I'm optimistic. Yeah it's heartbreaking to see Guts and Casca can't interact, but she's back! Her fighting skill is undiminished, she's getting along with everyone. She'll heal from her trauma as the Faire Queen said. In her own time.
I'm optimistic as well. As long as Casca has the desire to be with Guts, she will have to face the trauma inflicted upon her. While that's certainly no small thing, I think it's reasonable to guess that the journey to Elfhelm, as part of its payoff, concerns Casca's full recovery among other things.

quote:

Isn't Guts stuck in the armor forever due to the wound Slan give him?
I don't think that's ever stated. Schierke simply comments on how grievous a wound it is considering it was inflicted upon his etheric body. While it will leave a scar, I don't think the effects from that wound are permanent by any means.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I imagine ol' Skully's going to be like "I BEAR GRIM TIDINGS, THE WHITE HAWK HAS THE MEANS TO MAKE HIS PRESENCE FELT IN THIS SANCTUARY AND WILL SOON ARRIVE" and Guts is going to be like "thank god" and rush headfirst into battle so that he doesn't have to deal with how emotionally fraught this is
Hopefully enough time is on their side. Personally, I don't think their peaceful presence on Elfhelm is about to end any time soon.

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 19, 2019

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
:nws: https://mangadex.org/chapter/743545 :nws:

Duranki 3. Thanks EG!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
boy do I have terrific luck, I apparently joined the Berserk boat in the same year Miura decides to only write 1 chapter :v:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

boy do I have terrific luck, I apparently joined the Berserk boat in the same year Miura decides to only write 1 chapter :v:

Lmao you don't have the right to mention boats with a statement like that.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Miura has given up his revenge story that he drew to rub in the face of the guy who stole his college girlfriend and is now doing a comic about both the son and daughter he never had because he didnt wrap up berserk sooner.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Nah he did two. Two whole chapters in a year. I hope he slows down a bit next year so that he doesn't burn himself out by accident

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Ruflux posted:

Nah he did two. Two whole chapters in a year. I hope he slows down a bit next year so that he doesn't burn himself out by accident

2 berserk chapters and 3 greek baby chapters! It's a busy year for Miura

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

2 berserk chapters and 3 greek baby chapters! It's a busy year for Miura

I don't count those because he didn't even draw the final line art, the lazy hack

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Laughed at mud butt, but to be fair the Rambo manoeuvre was pretty :black101:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can someone maybe make another thread for the naked little kid comic? I don't come in here too often, but gently caress that poo poo. I don't want some weird pedo comic closing down the one place I can go to for good Berserk translations/discussion.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

if it's truly bad enough that it could get the thread shut down then making a thread dedicated to discussing it seems unwise imo

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I haven't read the new chapter but after seeing a single page from it, I don't want to and I fully support any effort to ban discussion of it on the forums. gently caress that. I don't care if it's the next writing masterpiece, if Miura can't stop being a loving creep then I see no reason it needs to be acknowledged here. If it was from some no-name creator it wouldn't be getting the leeway it has been getting so far and everyone bringing it up would be unceremoniously banned, so it doesn't really belong on these forums, let alone in this thread in particular.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

jesus guys whats the actual content?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
It's from the same artist and he made it partly so that his assistants can hone their skills with it. Berserk updates so slowly that there might as well be discussion about this one as well. If you actually bothered to read it you'd see it's a pretty good fantasy adventure story.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Actually, it's ephebehelitia

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Ruflux posted:

I haven't read the new chapter but after seeing a single page from it, I don't want to and I fully support any effort to ban discussion of it on the forums. gently caress that. I don't care if it's the next writing masterpiece, if Miura can't stop being a loving creep then I see no reason it needs to be acknowledged here. If it was from some no-name creator it wouldn't be getting the leeway it has been getting so far and everyone bringing it up would be unceremoniously banned, so it doesn't really belong on these forums, let alone in this thread in particular.

I'm glad someone is speaking up before a hivemind starts. I tried really hard to tell myself its some "lord of the flies boys fending for themselves" type of thing but ugh nah maybe its the tone of the comic but it gives me bad vibes.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
it's probably the child nudity that's giving you bad vibes

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

it's probably the child nudity that's giving you bad vibes

Yeah thats gotta be it. Even classical art featuring naked cupids weirds out my uncontrollably modern sensibilities.

Theres also the authorial intent of the drawing. I can sense the exact same intent of the perfectly round and cuvy butt he drew as the same as mine. Difference is he drew a hermaphrodite child and I reserve that line work for drawing grown women.

Very confusing to critique, beyond imagining myself hanging out with Muira and trying to convince him to have a couple of beers and try a lonely singles hotline hotel.

just bob fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 13, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Really hope miura gets bored of drawing kids butts soon so he can get back to drawing one mans decades long massacre vendetta against rape demons

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I should clarify since I was in a rush to get to work.

The sexualization of this androgynous child and the main kid from the village that seems to be inherent in this exploration of Usum' s gender and what it means to those around Usum could have been handled better by showing these characters when they're older instead of when they are children.

And the fact that they chose to tell this story with children is ... not good, methinks.

I was trying to be flippant about it, seems I miscalculated.

E: spelling. Lol, mods change my name to Sexualizarion.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 13, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Laputanmachine posted:

It's from the same artist and he made it partly so that his assistants can hone their skills with it. Berserk updates so slowly that there might as well be discussion about this one as well. If you actually bothered to read it you'd see it's a pretty good fantasy adventure story.

I did read the first one. And it had a weirdly sexual shower scene with a 12 year old. This poo poo doesn't belong here.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Gonna try my best to stay on topic here while not stepping on anyones toes TOO hard.

A comic regarding the exploration of gender would interest a lot of people. It would also turn a lot of people off. I'm south parks 100th episode about it and picking a "truth is the middle" and going with personal indifference.

Having the cast still be kids for this is a bad pick for most authors, and that includes Miura. I keep an open mind about art to the radical extent of believing ANYTHING can be created a right way, and as everyone a critic, we can all recognize that its often not.

As a side not, I'm still imagining myself as Miura's cool guy type of friend who is so worried about him that I've started to say extraordinarily heterosexual things around him that I normally wouldn't because his new comic is negatively enforcing something in his brain rather than unleashing personal catharsis so far.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's sexualizing a 12 year old and taking every opportunity to draw them naked. There's not much middle ground here. Seriously, what the gently caress guys.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Folks, this is fairly simple: Too Much Child Nudity. A lot of those butt shots really aren't necessary for the story and just come off as standard mudbath/hotsprings fanservice but with children.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I agree, but if we dont navel gaze about it what else are we gonna do ITT?

I just like discussing the artistic merit of garbage. Thats my backpedal here.

Some lonely old man who lives like a hermit got pedophilia published and currently i cant think of anything id disagree with more to discuss.

just bob fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 13, 2019

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
You don't have to like or even read it (I've made it my mission to translate it for completeness' sake, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't skeeved out by some of the content), but suggesting we ban discussion of Duranki in the Ber "Lost Children" serk thread is pretty bizarre.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's sexualizing a 12 year old and taking every opportunity to draw them naked. There's not much middle ground here. Seriously, what the gently caress guys.

This is every religion ever. There’s no other way to draw Cupid and Pan.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

LordMune posted:

You don't have to like or even read it (I've made it my mission to translate it for completeness' sake, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't skeeved out by some of the content), but suggesting we ban discussion of Duranki in the Ber "Lost Children" serk thread is pretty bizarre.

The lost children arc is horrible because of all the violence. It notably isn't sexual compared to other berserk arcs. It also had a ton of chapters previously to set the tone of "almost everyone dies horribly." I know this post sounds like an argument so far, but it's not entirely intended to be. In so few words, it's piles of dead babies vs frolicking naked children.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
nudity =/= sexual

hth

Edit: To clarify, I know nudity is a really big taboo in the U.S. of A, but it is not necessarily so in other parts of the world and it doesn't always carry sexual connotations.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 13, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It is sexualizing them though.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

nudity =/= sexual

hth

Edit: To clarify, I know nudity is a really big taboo in the U.S. of A, but it is not necessarily so in other parts of the world and it doesn't always carry sexual connotations.

That said, when you can literally tell the author of a piece was writing/planning/storyboarding art featuring underage nudity one handed, you can probably be justified in arguing that it indeed qualifies sexualization and also is not a good thing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm honestly really weirded out by how everyone else is weirded out, the newest chapter of Duranki did not phase me at at all. Maybe it's because I'm used to Japanese works using nudity as representations of purity or that Japanese families regiar;y bathe with their children into their 10's and 11s, but I really found nothing objectionable. Usum's body is clearly a plot point so to claim that Miura and his assistants are just "drawing one handed" is really dumb

bob human being posted:

The lost children arc is horrible because of all the violence. It notably isn't sexual compared to other berserk arcs. It also had a ton of chapters previously to set the tone of "almost everyone dies horribly." I know this post sounds like an argument so far, but it's not entirely intended to be. In so few words, it's piles of dead babies vs frolicking naked children.
There are like three million shots of the Moth demon girl's butt, her breast and nipples are always exposed and always fog covering her thighs man, come on, don't have a selective memory about this

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 13, 2019

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm honestly really weirded out by how everyone else is weirded out, the newest chapter of Duranki did not phase me at at all. Maybe it's because I'm used to Japanese works using nudity as representations of purity or that Japanese families regiar;y bathe with their children into their 10's and 11s, but I really found nothing objectionable. Usum's body is clearly a plot point so to claim that Miura and his assistants are just "drawing one handed" is really dumb

There are like three million shots of the Moth demon girl's butt and always fog covering her thighs man, come on

Nobody gets raped by a giant demon, therefore it is LESS sexualized than the berserk standard.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Ruflux posted:

That said, when you can literally tell the author of a piece was writing/planning/storyboarding art featuring underage nudity one handed, you can probably be justified in arguing that it indeed qualifies sexualization and also is not a good thing

I don't know if this is you projecting or if you're just watched too much bad anime/read manga so that it's broken you but Duranki doesn't really have that kind of vibe. Sure there are sexual tones, but it's in the vein of "protagonist trying to find their identity" rather than "the reader is supposed to want to gently caress all these kids".

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
And there's been no sexuality in Duranki either, so it's also doing pretty well there too

The first chapter of Berserk opens with Guts engaged with (very questionable when we know Guts full story) sex with a demon before blowing her head off so it's weird to see fans of Berserk suddenly become scolds and immediatly calling for discussion of it to end. I'm not saying you're not allowed to be uncomfortable with it, but maybe interrogate why that is, if it's reasonable and what the intent is

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 13, 2019

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Laputanmachine posted:

nudity =/= sexual

I've heard this many times and not argued in an attempt to agree and I never have.

Laputanmachine posted:

I don't know if this is you projecting or if you're just watched too much bad anime/read manga so that it's broken you but Duranki doesn't really have that kind of vibe. Sure there are sexual tones, but it's in the vein of "protagonist trying to find their identity" rather than "the reader is supposed to want to gently caress all these kids".

It has the exact same tone as "negima's crush forgets to wear panties during a fight with the bad guy"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The intent is he's drawing full page naked kid asses every chance he gets. It's loving weird.

gently caress it, I'm out. I thought we purged poo poo like this to 4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

I was being a bit facetious, but I do genuinely believe the nudity on display in Duranki comes from a bad place. I went ahead and read the newest chapter since I realized I'd be arguing from a bad place if I were to comment more on the content. And what do you know, it's creepy as all gently caress. I don't think I should have to justify my stance of "drawing a bunch of naked kid asses is creepy and weird" but there you go.

It's creepy, it's weird and I don't believe for one loving second that actually it's about making a good point about growing up and identity and whatever. It's about Miura wanting to (have his assistants) draw naked kid asses. If you can't see that then I guess good for you? But please don't pretend you have to be a broken miser to see what's blatantly obvious