Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Do we know what mandalorians look like? Are they human or do they have a predator face or something

They are humans, it's just a warrior-culture planet. Sabine Wren from Rebels is a Mandalorian.

Plus it's almost certain the kid who gets hidden in the space cellar from the CIS attack in the forge flashback is the titular Mandalorian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The true bounty will be the friends he makes along the way

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Upon a re-watch, that is some top-shelf IG droid shooting stuff.

Everything the IG did was a joy to watch. It made the scene they lifted from Kelly's Heroes--where they both turn their eyes to the gun and then blast the door open--the most enjoyable ten seconds of TV I've seen in a while.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I hope IG-11 becomes the Kenny of this show

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Pedro Pascal just dropped the actual given name of The Mandalorian. Spelling is unknown, but it's Dyn Jarren

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Quinton posted:

I thought it was fun. It was not deep, there was a bit of cheese, it's not Shakespeare, but this is Star Wars (holding up washer, Look, sir, droids!) and it didn't seem particularly more cheesy than the original trilogy got. Hard to be sure of anything after one episode, but it generally looks and feels Str Wars-y, it's set post-Rebellion and pre-First-Order which seems like a good place to be, and there's potential. Maybe I'll be disappointed in the end, but right now I'm entertained enough to at least give it a couple episodes and see where it all goes.

I know nothing about Mandalorians or Bounty Hunters besides what we saw in the original trilogy. My only interaction with the Star Wars EU was the Thrawn trilogy, which rereading a couple years ago, I was sad to discover did not hold up, writing-wise, to my memory. I still love the concept of Thrawn as a baddie though,.

I just read the Thrawn trilogy (and the 2 followup books) and don't agree with your assessment.

Anyway; about your comments on the show I totally agree. The Mandalorian feels very "original trilogy" in a way that excites me. The sound design in particular seemed to evoke a lot of OT nostalgia for me - though at the same time I am unsure if the score is Star Wars enough.

We've been shown some extremely good potential here and I am very excited. The thing about the protagonist being a "foundling" really interests me. Wonder if he's even human. I mean he probably is human - he's the lead part -but it'd be really ambitious and interesting to shake up an established fact of sci-fantasy (and Hollywood in general) where the biggest names are human.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Resting Lich Face posted:

I just read the Thrawn trilogy (and the 2 followup books) and don't agree with your assessment.

Anyway; about your comments on the show I totally agree. The Mandalorian feels very "original trilogy" in a way that excites me. The sound design in particular seemed to evoke a lot of OT nostalgia for me - though at the same time I am unsure if the score is Star Wars enough.

We've been shown some extremely good potential here and I am very excited. The thing about the protagonist being a "foundling" really interests me. Wonder if he's even human. I mean he probably is human - he's the lead part -but it'd be really ambitious and interesting to shake up an established fact of sci-fantasy (and Hollywood in general) where the biggest names are human.

If that wasn't him being abandoned in that bunker, who would it be?

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I liked how the Blurrgs looked and moved like they were stop motion puppets. Really made it feel more like a post-RotJ world.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Owlbear Camus posted:

Plus it's almost certain the kid who gets hidden in the space cellar from the CIS attack in the forge flashback is the titular Mandalorian.

:doh: good call, I forgot about that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Pedro Pascal just dropped the actual given name of The Mandalorian. Spelling is unknown, but it's Dyn Jarren

Oh god, he's DJ from TLJ.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Oh god, he's DJ from TLJ.

that's not true.

that's impossible

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

tadashi posted:

If that wasn't him being abandoned in that bunker, who would it be?

I need to watch that flashback scene again I obviously missed something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

romanowski posted:

imagine being a baby for 50 years

This isn't hard to imagine, I am living this.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Another thought: Is there a possibility that the Mandalorian blacksmith lady was Sabine? Someone with a better knowledge of the new canon can probably say why or why not— I only just started Rebels.

Owlbear Camus posted:

that's not true.

that's impossible
michaelscottno.gif

Actually that lessens the blow of why they brought in del Toro for a stupid throwaway role instead of just having the “master codebreaker” be Lando.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hazo posted:

Another thought: Is there a possibility that the Mandalorian blacksmith lady was Sabine? Someone with a better knowledge of the new canon can probably say why or why not— I only just started Rebels.

Not impossible, but I would expect more flair and color in her armor and the workshop.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Not impossible, but extremely unlikely. It would be impossible to say way without getting into Rebels spoilers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also didn't Sabine mostly abandon her tribe? I don't know if switching tribes is a thing for Mandalorians but that seems unlikely that she'd be a blacksmith for another tribe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tadashi posted:

I hope IG-11 becomes the Kenny of this show

His number goes up with each death. Show ends with IG-87.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also didn't Sabine mostly abandon her tribe? I don't know if switching tribes is a thing for Mandalorians but that seems unlikely that she'd be a blacksmith for another tribe.

I don't think the blacksmith was her regardless, but Sabine's officially "Clan Wren of House Vizsla", which seems a bit different from what we've seen/heard of this tribe so far. They seem a lot more downtrodden, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that what we're seeing in the show is more of a ragtag community of them banding together out of necessity with how bad things have gotten following the war.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Do we know the state of the Mandalorians by the time of ANH? Is the old EU story of "mostly wiped out during the Clone Wars" still hold? This could be a small group of survivors of a broken group. The whole tribe hierarchy may not mean anything anymore.

Or that's been totally wiped out, and the Mandalorians are all just fine. But I got a real "last of our people" vibe from the Mandos we saw.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rebels I believe dealt with Mandalorians throughout their show. I forget where that show falls timeline wise.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rebels I believe dealt with Mandalorians throughout their show. I forget where that show falls timeline wise.

Spoilered for the guy above who just started Rebels. Almost entirely in the lead up to ANH. The only exception is the epilogue that takes place just after ROTJ, and the only Mandalorian we see there is Sabine going off with Ahsoka.

So at least not wiped out during the Clone Wars, good point.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Owlbear Camus posted:

that's not true.

that's impossible

Search your feelings.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not impossible, but I would expect more flair and color in her armor and the workshop.

thrawn527 posted:

Not impossible, but extremely unlikely. It would be impossible to say way without getting into Rebels spoilers.

Cool, thanks. I just knew the helmet was in her style so I wondered.

I don’t know if it was this thread or the other Star Wars tv thread but whoever said Rebels started slow is an idiot is someone with whom I disagree. These first episodes are loving great.

edit to be less of an rear end in a top hat. There’s already enough stupid infighting among Star Wars fans and I won’t be a part of it

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 13, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

I don’t know if it was this thread or the other Star Wars tv thread but whoever said Rebels started slow is an idiot is someone with whom I disagree. These first episodes are loving great.

edit to be less of an rear end in a top hat. There’s already enough stupid infighting among Star Wars fans and I won’t be a part of it

The first few episodes are good, but there are some clunkers mid to late in the season. Stand alones that go nowhere. But it ends strong. "Starts slow" refers to the first season as a whole, not just the first few episodes. And it's mostly true looking back from the later seasons.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

The first few episodes are good, but there are some clunkers mid to late in the season. Stand alones that go nowhere. But it ends strong. "Starts slow" refers to the first season as a whole, not just the first few episodes. And it's mostly true looking back from the later seasons.

Oh jeez I didn’t realize you were both the OP of that thread and the source of that quote. Sorry about that, you’ve always been a cool Star Wars poster.

I’m only a few episodes in but it seems like it’s gonna be like Clone Wars— a bunch of really cool episodes followed by an inexplicably disjointed and awful one-off (looking at you, Padme). So I’m excited. Especially cause I heard we get to see the birth of A-Wings, which are my favorite ship :dance:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Oh jeez I didn’t realize you were both the OP of that thread and the source of that quote. Sorry about that, you’ve always been a cool Star Wars poster.

I’m only a few episodes in but it seems like it’s gonna be like Clone Wars— a bunch of really cool episodes followed by an inexplicably disjointed and awful one-off (looking at you, Padme). So I’m excited. Especially cause I heard we get to see the birth of A-Wings, which are my favorite ship :dance:

Oh no worries, it's all just personal opinions. Also, I guess I should update the OP of that other thread, but I doubt a lot of people even read the OP anymore.

Everything you said in the second paragraph is absolutely true.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Watched it, liked it quite a bit, feeling the Western vibe they're going for with the Bounty Hunter rolling in like The Man With No Name and you gradually learn more about him as the show goes on rather than using the bulk of episode 1 to have us learn all about the character. Was a big fan of the more gritty Rogue One aesthetic so the look appeals to me greatly.

Wondering if this yoda species thing will be the main story arc of the season, was kinda hoping it would be more individual bounties for the first few episodes, with each episode focusing on a particular target and we'd get to a more long term story arc later but we'll see what happens.

Really hoping they bring the IG droid back too as it would be disappointing if that was it for Taika Waititi.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I seem to remember post-chopped-in-half Darth Maul becoming the leader of the Mandalorians at some point in either CW or Rebels. Didn't we see a bunch of stuff about them then?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Nitrousoxide posted:

I seem to remember post-chopped-in-half Darth Maul becoming the leader of the Mandalorians at some point in either CW or Rebels. Didn't we see a bunch of stuff about them then?

That was in Clone Wars, I believe. He'd fallen on much harder times by the time he showed up in Rebels. It's believed they'll show what happened there in the upcoming season 7 of Clone Wars.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

Everything you said in the second paragraph is absolutely true.
:mbisonyes:

Just Chamber posted:

Really hoping they bring the IG droid back too as it would be disappointing if that was it for Taika Waititi.
He’s directing at least one episode so I don’t think he’s going anywhere quite yet, thankfully.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It started before then, with an arc starring Obi-Wan’s ex. They go pretty in depth.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

tadashi posted:

I didn't understand why that one bar had the imperial stamp in it? Imperial hard currency? I have babies so I watch with low sound and captions....

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's basically space mithral, with the implication the Empire took it from the Mandos back in the day. According to books and stuff it can even take a glancing blow from a lightsaber.

Like Nazi gold, they melted gold they stole and stamped it as their own.

Except it is useful in this universe, unlike gold.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Hazo posted:

The adherents to Maul's short-lived reign as Mandalore (the title) styled their helmets with Zabrak-like horns; that could be a visual nod to Mandalore's (the culture) storied history, or something else entirely

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rewatched episode 1...was gonna go to a theatrical screening but my wife had to cancel.

Anyway, I seriously can't wait to see more of this show. While I'm glad it wasn't an entire season drop at once, I absolutely would have binged it if that was the case. I totally get the complaints of a bit of a slow start...but giving us a "normal" bounty run and some Clan stuff before launching into what is sure to be the Season Arc really helps flesh out the character and the world. Greef's line about there being plenty of jobs, but people not wanting to pay guild rates and being okay with "sloppy" bounties says so much about the state of the galaxy

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Honestly thought this looked like soulless dog-poo poo from the promo stuff, 'Hey everyone liked Boba Fett let's do another Boba Fett. Again.", the trailer was just boring silent hardass beats up the bar thugs stuff, I go to every Star Wars movie at midnight and then again the next evening but was barely interested in this, plus Mandalorians just loving suck.

But yeah this completely exceeded my expectations. Everything up until Carl Weathers was bad and was exactly what I was expecting, except the droid racism that was interesting, it was high budget boring, but then there was a well written scene with a good actor whose face we could actually see and the episode got really good from then. Really liked that the cowboy ugnaut was written vaguely enough that he might have just been a little gammon "everyone wants to kill these immigrants! the problem is the existence of the immigrants!", really liked how creepy the IG moved, really liked that Pascal stopped being boring silent badass and was clearly panicking a little, really liked the 50-year-old target twist and obviously this had enough budget that it was always gonna be the case but the music was great and it was constantly extremely pretty.

And cannot stress enough that previously the only time Mandalorians have ever been good is as trash mobs in KotOR but the presentation here of like an intergalactic diaspora culture that have Skyrim helmets is fine, it's not actively poo poo and honestly that's enough.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vitamin P posted:

Pascal stopped being boring silent badass

I was really worried that they were gonna have him be close-to-silent for most of the series, and I'm glad that while he doesn't say much, hes not a JRPG protagonist

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

tin can made man posted:

The adherents to Maul's short-lived reign as Mandalore (the title) styled their helmets with Zabrak-like horns; that could be a visual nod to Mandalore's (the culture) storied history, or something else entirely

I meant more the oval eye slits as opposed to the T shape of Mandalorian and clone trooper helmets from the movies.

Vitamin P posted:

Honestly thought this looked like soulless dog-poo poo from the promo stuff,

[...] really liked that Pascal stopped being boring silent badass and was clearly panicking a little,
Same about thinking it looked soulless from the previews. Then I saw the plan for having individual episodic directors and got more excited.

I think the whole blurrg thing was very much intentionally where the character broke from the “beats up bar patrons” archetype. I’m totally here for a bounty hunter who occasionally still kind of sucks at bounty hunting.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bit of a homage to the Christmas Special here too:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Vintersorg posted:

Bit of a homage to the Christmas Special here too:

There were a lot. The reference to Mandalorians history of riding beasts, Life Day, and his cattleprod rifle off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The Star Wars galaxy needs better naming conventions. It sounded like the Mandalorian's family was wiped out in "The Purge" which looked to have been during the Clone Wars, but is different from The Purge that started with Order 66 and wiping out the Jedi. There's probably other Purges in canon a this point too.

I REALLY hope The Mandalorian isn't anyone. I don't mind callbacks to other characters and setting, but it would be nice if we could just have a series of stories set in the Star Wars universe that isn't tied to anyone in the movies. It's a big drat galaxy, not everything has to tie back to the other movies.

Also at this point I almost expect a random character named "Taren Kraviss" who is a noted storyteller that gets dismissed with the way the show is going. "Oh, yeah, all that stuff Kraviss wrote? Complete bullshit, none of it true."