Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Switzerland posted:

speaking of, wasn't jonby's new company supposed to be launched by now?
industrial design projects take a long time and so does building a practice from scratch even when you're the world's most famous designer, I'd guess we won't see many non apple products out of them for a couple years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thinkin about tim's giant laptop

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

tim is finally ready 2 step in to the dota arena with this powerful new gamer laptop

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
there are plenty of good designers in the world and all of them are cheaper than jony

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want a comedy action duo with jony ives and dwayne the rock johnson

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
'it doesnt matter what your design elements are' &c

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If only a smaller laptop's frame could support a working keyboard. Alas, it can't

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

No Mods No Masters posted:

If only a smaller laptop's frame could support a working keyboard. Alas, it can't

apple can only work on one thing at a time

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
oh poo poo they actually made it better this time. they fixed the keyboard! physical escape key! min config is actually usable with 512gb ssd and 16gb ram THEY LISTENED

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I still struggle to believe they decided to name their entire company after the worlds most institutionalised and and boring lunch
box snack

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

oh poo poo they actually made it better this time. they fixed the keyboard! physical escape key! min config is actually usable with 512gb ssd and 16gb ram THEY LISTENED

it was an accident

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I still struggle to believe they decided to name their entire company after the worlds most institutionalised and and boring lunch
box snack

good apple varieties own, unfortunately most people eat red delicious which is pretty much the worst apple, and quite bad.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

my 2013 15" is dying: after being a victim of staingate twice, it now hard locks every couple of days

i've been waiting for this 16" macbook pro for a while now and jfc they finally listened

thank god for ive's departure

should i buy it or wait like a couple of months to make sure they don't, like, have some huge defect on launch?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

good apple varieties own, unfortunately most people eat red delicious which is pretty much the worst apple, and quite bad.

fuji apples are the best eating apple

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

go play outside Skyler posted:

my 2013 15" is dying: after being a victim of staingate twice, it now hard locks every couple of days

i've been waiting for this 16" macbook pro for a while now and jfc they finally listened

should i buy it or wait like a couple of months to make sure they don't, like, have some huge defect on launch?

if you can, give it at least a month after it starts shipping to customers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

fuji apples are the best eating apple

wrong, pink ladies are the best eating apple

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Always trust tim, but most especially when it comes to keyboards

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

go play outside Skyler posted:

waiting if you can is clearly best option, in 3 months you’ll have new one regardless and you’ll be happy then. and until then be zen and learn patience

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jaZ apples are ok

now I want to buy one of every and blind taste test my kids. great game

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
wtf? buy it now if somethings hosed up youll get it fixed for free

also its the optimal moment from a macrumors buyers guide perspective

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

pseudorandom name posted:

wrong, pink ladies are the best eating apple

wrong and wrong. reasonable people can disagree on the specific best apple but i am 100% certain that no apple without honeycrisp lineage is even in the running

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

honeycrisp are boring and watery in comparison to the one true apple: the pink lady

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Endless Mike posted:

i'm so confused by red delicious. how does the objectively least pleasant variety of a fruit become the dominant default one?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

i'm so confused by red delicious. how does the objectively least pleasant variety of a fruit become the dominant default one?

good branding

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lip-puckeringly sour granny smith supremacy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/red-delicious-apples-suck_n_5b630199e4b0b15abaa061af

tldr: they were decent when first developed in the 1870s, a time when people bought their fruit directly from the farm and ate it immediately

they've been bred to be as red as possible at the expense of everything else and nowadays for them to taste any good at all you have to leave them on the tree an extremely long time (which farmers won't do) and then eat it the second you pick it (which modern grocery logistics doesn't allow)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
weren’t apples mainly used to make alcohol until a health push for “oh poo poo we need to rebrand” around prohibition? sir jony appleseed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/red-delicious-apples-suck_n_5b630199e4b0b15abaa061af

tldr: they were decent when first developed in the 1870s, a time when people bought their fruit directly from the farm and ate it immediately

they've been bred to be as red as possible at the expense of everything else and nowadays for them to taste any good at all you have to leave them on the tree an extremely long time (which farmers won't do) and then eat it the second you pick it (which modern grocery logistics doesn't allow)

water core is a defect in apples

they are saying that to make it edible, you have to leave it on the tree until it is rotting

lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hed posted:

weren’t apples mainly used to make alcohol until a health push for “oh poo poo we need to rebrand” around prohibition? sir jony appleseed

everything was used to make alcohol because alcohol was the only way to ship things any distance

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Hed posted:

not really

so apple genetics are such that a daughter apple is absolutely nothing like either parent. every fuji apple is a clone of the first fuji apple tree, every pink lady is a clone, etc. when apples naturally breed 99% of the time you get an inedible apple, which is why new edible apple cultivars are so valuable (you have to keep trying at random until you get lucky and find one that tastes good). you can still make alcohol out of these inedible apples. and yes, jonny appleseed spread lots and lots of inedible apples across the land

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Last Chance posted:

lip-puckeringly sour granny smith supremacy
this, especially straight after brushing your teeth for added menthol burn

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

see: kale

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

irpoweroutlet posted:

Ive got it all figured out

N+4+2+1 = N7

Who held N7 rank? Commander Shepherd.

What else was Commander Shepherd? A spectre.

Lets look at the definition of spectre:

from Latin spectrum "appearance, vision, apparition

Makes perfect sense for AR glasses

smart

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when are they releasing the new mac pro? i have nearly 10 thousand dollars of company money burning a hole in my pocket. i migt do like 8 grand tho. NOT SURE.

RELEASE IT

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Smythe posted:

when are they releasing the new mac pro? i have nearly 10 thousand dollars of company money burning a hole in my pocket. i migt do like 8 grand tho. NOT SURE.

RELEASE IT

december, it will be a christmas miracle

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

RELEASE IT

“December”. $10k, enjoy your 3/4 of a Mac Pro.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

everything was used to make alcohol because alcohol was the only way to ship things any distance

it’s interesting to note a lot of food around like jam and beer are holdovers from an age where food preservation was essential.. and calories weren’t so easy to come by. by and large a lot of these foods shouldn’t be consumed these days but then again they taste good and nothing really matters anyway

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow the 16 inch can come with 64gb of memory. sick

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

December. $10k, enjoy your 3/4 of a Mac Pro.

how much is this thing going to cost? they said 7k or something in something somewhere, at some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

it’s interesting to note a lot of food around like jam and beer are holdovers from an age where food preservation was essential.. and calories weren’t so easy to come by. by and large a lot of these foods shouldn’t be consumed these days but then again they taste good and nothing really matters anyway
this is dangerously stymiesque