Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Fuzz posted:

That price is a steal...

Yeah it's so low I actually got worried that the game would be horrible shovelware, but the reviews seem okay and ragesaq seemed to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
They actually wanted to make it even lower if you had the flat version but steam denied the request and they put out this statement.

quote:

Hi guys,

big day today, but we have to start with some.. not the best news for us and Thief Simulator owners.

We were saying from the day one that we want to give promo coupons to the players that already bought Thief Simulator. We also stated that it’s not entirely dependent upon us - that we need Steam approvement.
We and publisher decided to give a larger discount than we promised - as a pleasant suprise for you. Unfortunately, the request for the promo coupons was disapproved by Steam yesterday.
We were told by publisher that this is due to the general issues with promo coupons and that the Steam is working on new coupon system. We also requested for Loyalty Discount coupons for you yesterday, but our publisher expects them to also be disapproved - as this happened last week with their other game. We will try to get these coupons for you as we promised, but it’ll probably happen when the new system arrives (at beginning of the new year).

I hope you don’t feel misleaded by us in any way, we were always open to your questions and answered them sincerely. It’s also a painful (and a bit shocking) piece of information for us.
I’ll leave the discussion open, hope you will appreciate that and we will keep it civilized here ;)

Best,
GameBoom VR Team

But then they figured out they could just lower the bundle price and you can get the extra discount that way. So if you own the flat version make sure you buy the bundle. Gives you 25% off.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

rage-saq posted:

From what I hear from VR friends it’s got somewhat unresponsive waggle combat feel and lots of tedium that doesn’t make sense.
It looks fairly missable to me.
Basically par for the course for Oculus funded games.

See this is what I wanted to hear tbh, every vid I have seen has been swooning about it, in a sort of unnaturally over the top way.
Thanks!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

See this is what I wanted to hear tbh, every vid I have seen has been swooning about it, in a sort of unnaturally over the top way.
Thanks!

To give you context, after a scripted intro scene, you are given a "quest" to talk to certain people in a tavern by walking up to them and pressing A. After you successfully do this, you are asked to go back to the bar to talk to someone. This triggers a scene transition where everything goes black and you are teleported, like, two feet away so the scripted cutscene can start.

Of course, if you accidentally walk around the trigger to initiate the "quest" you might end up in the tavern and nobody will talk to you.

Also there's a section in the tavern where a little guy tells you there's no way you could throw axes as well as he can. There's a row of axes in front of you with obvious targets to throw at. You cannot interact with any of the axes because the telegraphed minigame is not available yet.

Every time I think about what a missed opportunity that game is I get mad

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

very time I think about what a missed opportunity that game is I get mad

Isn’t this Oculus Games Studio motto?
See: from other suns, defector, robo recall, etc

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hellsau posted:

Yeah it's so low I actually got worried that the game would be horrible shovelware, but the reviews seem okay and ragesaq seemed to like it.

I mean I got the key as a creator code but I legit had fun with the semi freeform criminality that reminds me of early days gta3. I’ll be streaming it tonight trying to figure out the next level of complexity of heists but I’ve had a good time so far and it easily passes the $12 cost threshold.
I also have discovered the hidden gem that is viveport infinity bad VR game night. Last night on stream I said gently caress it let’s grab random games and did Shark Week Operation Apex and that was actually really good, and then followed it up in the worst (best?) way with Excavator Harbor Job which is super minimal shovelware jank that perfectly gives you control of an excavator by a harbor to do a job.
I ended up in the harbor immediately but it only got better from there.
There’s like 800 games on infinity, it’s cheap and it’s fast. Not gonna lie I’m gonna make this a thing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Isn’t this Oculus Games Studio motto?
See: from other suns, defector, robo recall, etc

Ehhh, not really. Robo Recall was pretty great, and there's a lot of other stuff that was very good - Unspoken, Chronos, Lone Echo/Echo Arena, and Dead and Buried just off the top of my head. But a lot of the stuff that were misses were generally earlier-ish on, during the phase where they were just trying to brute force development. I feel like Asgard's Wrath came out late enough that they should have been able to start incorporating lessons from the earlier stuff. Sanzaru also did the Marvel game, which was similarly uninspiring.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think it depends what you're looking for in a game really.

"video gamey" mechanics don't matter nearly as much to me as having some real content. I can't take another repetitive arcade experience. Stuff like, pistol whip, beat saber, blade and sorcery, and on and on where you just are doing the same thing over and over again and theres no real game world you're playing through, or story or any progression of any kind, is beyond dead for me personally.

Its like playing space invaders or donkey kong, vs zelda. I can't stand old arcade games, and by that same measure I can't stand 80% of the VR games out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I think it depends what you're looking for in a game really.

"video gamey" mechanics don't matter nearly as much to me as having some real content. I can't take another repetitive arcade experience. Stuff like, pistol whip, beat saber, blade and sorcery, and on and on where you just are doing the same thing over and over again and theres no real game world you're playing through, or story or any progression of any kind, is beyond dead for me personally.

Its like playing space invaders or donkey kong, vs zelda. I can't stand old arcade games, and by that same measure I can't stand 80% of the VR games out.

Yeah I absolutely respect this perspective. I think that what Asgard's Wrath is trying to do was to more or less replicate a successful, high budget flatscreen game in VR. People like flatscreen games. People like VR. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's definitely got the most content out of any game released in the last long while. It's just not trying to do something that I personally care about; that doesn't make it bad, it means that it's not for me.

Edit: And to be clear I mean "missed opportunity" in the sense of doing something more innovative. I think they took the pretty safe route with it is all.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 13, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I specifically got into VR because of the input mechanics and the degree of player agency that allows. Asgards Wrath does nothing to take advantage of that, it only uses VR for it's most superficial qualities so it is kind of boring, to me at least.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just keep playing iracing, beat saber, rec room and pokerstars forever and that’s my plan

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Thrill of the Fight

I gave this game a second try tonight on my Quest (I was so sore after 15 min the first time I played it, I needed 2 days to recover).

Despite the fact it was a great workout the first time I played it, I was not impressed with some of the mechanics. While searching around on reddit, I discovered the dev made a game guide (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1780809608).

After reading the guide and understanding how the game registers punches, I'm completely hooked. I did 30 min tonight and I had to hunch over after each round for a breather.

It's a no-brainer at $10.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Oculus studios game Stormland appears to have good VR mechanics and is out on the 14th. Hopefully it is good.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

mashed_penguin posted:

Oculus studios game Stormland appears to have good VR mechanics and is out on the 14th. Hopefully it is good.

Review embargo is over tomorrow. It has been my most anticipated title for a while now, god I hope it's really good.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Wow pistol whip is awesome. I could never really get into beatsaber but this is loving fun and extremely low friction, even my missus loves it (the only thing she's super liked so far is the Lab archery minigame). The on-rails motion seems to be fine for everyone? These guys know what they are doing with VR, someone give them tons of money. And everyone buy this game.

Looking forward to DLC and hopefully a modding scene, there's a lot to explore here. Can't wait to try different styles of music.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 13, 2019

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

So, as of today I can't run any Unity-based VR app. They crash on start. One was kind enough to give an error log [We Were Here] that accused mono.dll.

Incidentally there was a windows update today, that forced a windows mixed reality onto my computer. I doubt this is a coincidence.

I figure VRChat is a good canary due to it's popularity, and there's a tech support section on their steam page with a handful of other people having the same issue.

Games that have VR and nonVR modes (We Were Here and VRChat) work fine on flat.

If anybody has this issue or a resolution, I'd love to hear it.

Edit: Someone claimed rolling back SteamVR from beta to stable release worked for them.

Edit2: Yep, that checks out. If you're on SteamVR Beta, it's porked (not due to SteamVR, due to something in the latest windows update that nuked it.)

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 13, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

So, as of today I can't run any Unity-based VR app. They crash on start. One was kind enough to give an error log [We Were Here] that accused mono.dll.

Incidentally there was a windows update today, that forced a windows mixed reality onto my computer. I doubt this is a coincidence.

I figure VRChat is a good canary due to it's popularity, and there's a tech support section on their steam page with a handful of other people having the same issue.

Games that have VR and nonVR modes (We Were Here and VRChat) work fine on flat.

If anybody has this issue or a resolution, I'd love to hear it.

Edit: Someone claimed rolling back SteamVR from beta to stable release worked for them.

Edit2: Yep, that checks out. If you're on SteamVR Beta, it's porked (not due to SteamVR, due to something in the latest windows update that nuked it.)

Oh interesting, my own unity game suddenly started crashing to desktop tonight... I wonder if that's a coincidence :ninja: I fixed it in the code, but now I'm tempted to roll back from the beta...

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh interesting, my own unity game suddenly started crashing to desktop tonight... I wonder if that's a coincidence :ninja: I fixed it in the code, but now I'm tempted to roll back from the beta...

Yea, the error was pointing to a unity specific issue and I was troubleshooting my own unity install thinking it was some sort of weird rear end issue (I don't work on this computer but still had Unity 5 installed since I never was arsed to uninstall it) I would have dug down that rabbit hole for another 6 hours tonight if someone hadn't pointed out the beta thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Yea, the error was pointing to a unity specific issue and I was troubleshooting my own unity install thinking it was some sort of weird rear end issue (I don't work on this computer but still had Unity 5 installed since I never was arsed to uninstall it) I would have dug down that rabbit hole for another 6 hours tonight if someone hadn't pointed out the beta thing.

gently caress me, I just spent 2 hours debugging this. Yeah, reverting to non-beta SteamVR fixes it without my code change.

Mother loving Microsoft I swear to goddamn loving... :argh:

Its some real dumb audio thing, of all things. Trying to initialize steamVR speakers or something.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Got some foot trackers. What games can I kick things?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Tip posted:

Review embargo is over tomorrow. It has been my most anticipated title for a while now, god I hope it's really good.

https://www.roadtovr.com/stormland-review-oculus-rift/

Road to VR likes it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Sorry there is basically nothing. There is one dance game with foot tracking and there is a game or two that claims they'll let you kick but I couldn't get it to work. If you get 3 trackers (2 controllers + 3 extra controllers/trackers) you can do real convincing movement in VRChat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Don't foot trackers work in B&S? I assume it's super gimmicky but using your foot to get a guy off your sword sounds sorta cool.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lockback posted:

Don't foot trackers work in B&S? I assume it's super gimmicky but using your foot to get a guy off your sword sounds sorta cool.

Oh maybe, I don't have that game and I only did a cursory try of all of the foot tracking things I could find. I got 2 sets of knuckles and tried using one set as trackers. I managed to get it to work but didn't find any games it worked well.

I did use it for Natural Locomotion and it sort of worked, but jogging and turning with a tether absolutely did not work well. Natural Locomotion with foot trackers can work if you use snap turning all the time of if you have wireless.

Part of getting your VR tether jumping awareness is that your aren't jogging in place. Once you start jogging in place and trying to turn you'll end up with issues pretty much immediately.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ShadowHawk posted:

Out of curiosity, why would you get foot trackers without knowing what you're going to use them in first?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

moolchaba posted:

Thrill of the Fight

I gave this game a second try tonight on my Quest (I was so sore after 15 min the first time I played it, I needed 2 days to recover).

Despite the fact it was a great workout the first time I played it, I was not impressed with some of the mechanics. While searching around on reddit, I discovered the dev made a game guide (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1780809608).

After reading the guide and understanding how the game registers punches, I'm completely hooked. I did 30 min tonight and I had to hunch over after each round for a breather.

It's a no-brainer at $10.

Yesterday for my workout I did 30 minutes on my stationary bike and ~25 minutes (3 bouts of 3 rounds with a breather in between) of TotF, and it was a helluva workout. I'm in reasonable shape with a resting heart rate of ~50-60 and TotF got me up to 140. Definitely feeling it in my deltoids and lats, I am shocked at how that works you.

I may introduce a warm-up/cool-down of beat saber or something because I underestimated how fast that game ramps you up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It would be nice to have a laser aim mode in Pistol Whip, just like in the menu, so that one can train a bit on the maps and get a handle on the guns to Dead Eye them eventually. Put -50% or no scoring at all on that mode.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
So, if anyone's using an overhead cable management system (or planning to get one), I can wholeheartedly recommend the ones from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53QmxZ-rOs

I've recently upgraded, and compared to their predecessors they:
  • Use a fabric/nylon ("dyneema") cable, which is quieter than the steel cable. It should also hopefully be more durable; I've recently had one of the steel cables snap during play, probably from a weakened point due to bending by winding/unwinding the cable repeatedly. Steel may have a greater tensile strength, but that is completely overkill for this application.
  • Have a longer cable at about 1.5m compared to the ~1m the older variant had, increasing your range and reducing the pull force.
  • Have better HMD cable holder thingies that are just a single piece that you can close/open around the HMD cable. No more fiddling with the metal hooks and rubber bands.
The only thing I don't quite agree with from the video is the mounting solution using the triangle setup as the final point. That just seems completely superfluous/overengineered to me; simply putting two pulleys in series (attaching one pulley to another and then to the HMD cable) for the final attachment point fulfills the same purpose of increasing your movement range and reducing pulling force, and IMO does so better and easier.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Sorry been mad busy at work, thanks for all the Asguard's info guys, a well needed drop of goon realism, thanks indeed, I was on the fence but eeeeeeh gently caress that

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Considering the fact that I suffer from spondyloarthritis, I'm wondering if I should return Pistol Whip. But it's so drat fun and cool that it tempts me to keep playing it. I might be able to deal if I just play it in moderation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

It would be nice to have a laser aim mode in Pistol Whip, just like in the menu, so that one can train a bit on the maps and get a handle on the guns to Dead Eye them eventually. Put -50% or no scoring at all on that mode.

Yeah I agree. You don't need it at all if you don't do dead eye though. Wonder if they added that later in development.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SirViver posted:

So, if anyone's using an overhead cable management system (or planning to get one), I can wholeheartedly recommend the ones from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53QmxZ-rOs

I've recently upgraded, and compared to their predecessors they:
  • Use a fabric/nylon ("dyneema") cable, which is quieter than the steel cable. It should also hopefully be more durable; I've recently had one of the steel cables snap during play, probably from a weakened point due to bending by winding/unwinding the cable repeatedly. Steel may have a greater tensile strength, but that is completely overkill for this application.
  • Have a longer cable at about 1.5m compared to the ~1m the older variant had, increasing your range and reducing the pull force.
  • Have better HMD cable holder thingies that are just a single piece that you can close/open around the HMD cable. No more fiddling with the metal hooks and rubber bands.
The only thing I don't quite agree with from the video is the mounting solution using the triangle setup as the final point. That just seems completely superfluous/overengineered to me; simply putting two pulleys in series (attaching one pulley to another and then to the HMD cable) for the final attachment point fulfills the same purpose of increasing your movement range and reducing pulling force, and IMO does so better and easier.

Curiosity, does this setup allow you to go completely prone? I will literally lay down on the floor when I'm doing rifle range poo poo in H3VR.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Do shots missed and hits taken really not matter when it comes to Pistol Whip's score or was that scoring article just not thorough enough?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Do shots missed and hits taken really not matter when it comes to Pistol Whip's score or was that scoring article just not thorough enough?

No they dont seem to matter.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Curiosity, does this setup allow you to go completely prone? I will literally lay down on the floor when I'm doing rifle range poo poo in H3VR.

I have a suspension system.

Lemme tell you why I hate it.

1) If you play more than a couple hours regularly, You'll find you actually can rotate LESS than when the cable is on the floor. The distance of cable that can freely spin from ceiling to head, is much shorter than the entire distance of the cable to the PC. So less cable = Less rotations.

2) Its incredibly hard on cables. I trashed 2 within 3 months. Now I play way more than most people but still.

3) LOL going prone or edge of play space. Even with them doubled up for length (you can stack 2 pulley things to get extra length) you still end up feeling like you're being yanked on when you get far out.

4) I hope you enjoy snagging a cable with controllers. Unless you're daredevil and can see without eyes, you're going to yank that poo poo at least a few times. I cannot count the # of times where I would "throw a nade' Or something and hang a controller on that stupid thing.

WITH ALL THAT SAID

Its great for casual play, hour here or there. Its just not for everyone. I would personally rather just use an extension setup and have extra wire on the ground. You kinda get used to where the drat thing is anyways.

Now remember the double stack on pulley thing? Try it if you have one of these setups. It actually really helped the drag/length issues in a larger play space.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

EbolaIvory posted:

WITH ALL THAT SAID
Its great for casual play, hour here or there.

I'm trying to figure out the Venn diagram intersection between A) Casual VR players and B) People ok with drilling in pulleys on their ceiling to play VR...and I'm having some difficulties :v:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm trying to figure out the Venn diagram intersection between A) Casual VR players and B) People ok with drilling in pulleys on their ceiling to play VR...and I'm having some difficulties :v:

Yeah. Its kind of a weird thing. I really really really figured I'd love the overhead thing. I really DID like it for a while. Couple months actually.

Then I started getting more comfortable in VR and moving around more, spinning more, taking less care when I was moving in general.

That was when the weakness of the overhead was really in my face. Was way happier once I put it back on the floor.

The actual usage is great for casual VR (at least until the player starts jumping around like a loon). But like you said, drilling poo poo in to suspend a cable isnt very casual. Which is why I try to recommend against it honestly. Theres some specific use cases that are good dont get me wrong. I just don't think its a great setup for most people.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Shine posted:

Yup, sure does, as long as you double up on the final pulley. Just tried it and I don't even notice the slightest tug until I crawl to the edge of my mat.

That Italian Guy posted:

FYI, you don't have to drill anything unless you have a very uneven ceiling surface. You just stick the adhesive pads with the hook mounts on - they are plenty strong. Also I think PCVR and "casual" doesn't really mix anyway. For the Quest, sure, but there you don't have the cable problem in the first place. If you do go for a tethered system then you might as well go for the 30$ ceiling mounts if your living situation / VR space / general lack of shame allows for it.

I do understand the points EbolaIvory makes and the cable twist thing is definitely real. You should, like recommended in the video, use an app that visualizes how twisted your cable is (e.g., TurnSignal, or the newest fpsVR also has a similar feature) so you can regularly check and un-twist yourself. Cable strain may also be an issue (no problems for me so far), as due to the nature of the cable mounts the twist can't spread across the entire cable as easily and is more focused near your headset. Personally I've wrapped some key sections of my HMD cable with a few layers of tape to give it some extra rigidity.

Getting snagged on the cable depends very much on which games you play and how you move inside them. Doing overhand grenade throws in H3VR might not work out so well sometimes, but then again underhand throws seem much more accurate anyway. Can't really say I've experienced this particular problem a ton.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SirViver posted:

Personally I've wrapped some key sections of my HMD cable with a few layers of tape to give it some extra rigidity.

This worked for me for my second cable and gave me some extra time before it started freaking out. If you start getting glitters or w/e, start playing with the cable where its connected to the headset and bends. I ended up using zipties to bend the cable back in place so it worked correctly waiting on a replacement.

Theres really not a good solution to the cable breaking thing. It was one of the larger reasons I stopped using it. Forgetting the normal stress of having it hanging like that, I kept snagging it with my hands doing jumps and stuff in stand out, or spins in beat saber while still trying to hit notes. That was way harder on it than just being yanked on. Thats for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

RandomBlue posted:

Out of curiosity, why would you get foot trackers without knowing what you're going to use them in first?
My intent was to use them with natural locomotion