Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Once a porter gave me a blood bag, and if I hit any of them with a vehicle I would probably have to cut the power to my living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hell yeah Sam, chug that beer!

I'm about to finally go meet this infamous junk dealer

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahahs he fuckin sprayed beer in my face

This game is great!

Edit: go home dad, you're drunk!

precision fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 14, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr Dskie posted:

Also end game stuff. Probably all wrong but..

What I want to know is the rainbow & the five watchers.

Deadman, Heartman, Fragile, The Mamas, and Die-Hardman, right? The figures show up in the post credits while they're calling for you, and then Amelie points them out explicitly and says something like "you're not alone, people are looking for you" immediately before Deadman grabs you. IDK about the rainbow, there's some stuff in the interviews about them but its hard to say how concrete it is

To further the Eva analogy, its the Congratulations Shinji moment

Dr Dskie
May 16, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Deadman, Heartman, Fragile, The Mamas, and Die-Hardman, right? The figures show up in the post credits while they're calling for you, and then Amelie points them out explicitly and says something like "you're not alone, people are looking for you" immediately before Deadman grabs you. IDK about the rainbow, there's some stuff in the interviews about them but its hard to say how concrete it is

To further the Eva analogy, its the Congratulations Shinji moment

That makes way more sense than the 5 previous EEs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

My road situation sucks. Somewhere early on in Ch3 the entire stretch from the capitol knot down past the engineer just instantly appeared. And I thought, Wow, people are really putting the work in, so I spent a couple of hours building out a section by the craftsman and was burned out after that. I figured it would keep growing though. Probably 20 hours and 2 chapters later and it hasn't grown an inch.

I've obviously rested, reloaded etc. many times since then but nothing ever changes and I'm not going to spend 500 hours doing it myself. That first time it appeared, it seemed so neat, I don't know why it just stopped.

I built the entire southern road from DC to South knot and everything to westerly DC except for one section which I'll go do tonight because it's hard to get to by vehicle and I'm gonna have to plan this out.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JBP posted:

Yo where is our Bridge Babbies gang tag?

It should say 'Bibby Babbis (is tired of all the grind/Death Stranding)'

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Higg's Bosons

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

veni veni veni posted:

My road situation sucks. Somewhere early on in Ch3 the entire stretch from the capitol knot down past the engineer just instantly appeared. And I thought, Wow, people are really putting the work in, so I spent a couple of hours building out a section by the craftsman and was burned out after that. I figured it would keep growing though. Probably 20 hours and 2 chapters later and it hasn't grown an inch.

I've obviously rested, reloaded etc. many times since then but nothing ever changes and I'm not going to spend 500 hours doing it myself. That first time it appeared, it seemed so neat, I don't know why it just stopped.

poo poo you might be in my game because I built a bunch of road and there ended up being a single stretch running from lake knot to just past the craftsman where there's a junction, but then it seemed like everyone suddenly got tired of hauling poo poo between the craftsman and the engineer and the dude in the city and just moved on to the weather station.

I'm gonna have to go and mow down some more mules for metal and ceramics so I can start getting roads built in the next area because I really want to find out where they're gonna put the dang roads in this rockpile

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I had a goddamn ADVENTURE on that mountain, I navigated a good portion of it and spent a full 2 hours getting a Zipline network built around it, ducking in and out of a cave to replenish energy out of the storm. By the time I came down Norman Reedus and the funky fetus were nearly frozen.

When I got cleaned up at base I found my fingers and toes were black as obsidian, apparently you can catch frostbite. It didn't go away for hours.

Bonus pic of Reedus face as I make him slowly drag thousands of pounds of metal around

I love this game. A perfect dlc would be an even bigger mountain with some new mountain tools.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 14, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The new DLC vehicle will be a pogo stick. :getin:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

When you think boss fights can't get any worse/boring/not fun, Kojima says "hold my beer"...ugh....

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game is really freaking long. Chapter 3 alone is like an entire game worth of stuff. Jesus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow, even if you have subtitles turned off, they still show up for the junk dealer's girlfriend's dialogue

That's... haha wow

That said it's not as bad as I thought it was gonna be, she actually delivers some of the lines okay. Ish.

precision fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 14, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha trophy earned "hooked on delivering!?"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tuo posted:

When you think boss fights can't get any worse/boring/not fun, Kojima says "hold my beer"...ugh....

The real boss fights are the mountains

Man at some point I started getting PTSD flashbacks to the end of Journey

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I take it back, she is that bad

This just got hilarious

Edit: sam not shaking his hand

the loving thumbs up with neon hearts

they knew exactly what this scene was lol

precision fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 14, 2019

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I also spent the day mountaining. I got a network set up and connected to everyone around mountain knot city except the photographer, because she's close enough to the road that I made her one of her own.

I've got a bunch of dead zones in my network though. Do these get filled as the story progresses or do you need to just find the prepper houses yourself to get these filled?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I invited myself into some of the houses. You can find lost cargo nearby that belongs to them

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The credits say something about a Junji Ito cameo. Which character is he?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

He's the engineer

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Steve Yun posted:

The real boss fights are the mountains

Man at some point I started getting PTSD flashbacks to the end of Journey

Even before the mountain I was like, drat, this game is like Journey meets Dark Souls

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

poo poo you might be in my game because I built a bunch of road and there ended up being a single stretch running from lake knot to just past the craftsman where there's a junction, but then it seemed like everyone suddenly got tired of hauling poo poo between the craftsman and the engineer and the dude in the city and just moved on to the weather station.

I'm gonna have to go and mow down some more mules for metal and ceramics so I can start getting roads built in the next area because I really want to find out where they're gonna put the dang roads in this rockpile

I have kinda the same situation here. (Hi thread !)
Once I connected the engineer and the craftsman to the network that whole stretch of road appeared out of thin air but nothing has evolved since and I've been building the road south by myself for a couple days now. Although there are typically some mats already deposited in the auto pavers so I don't know what's up with that. Why would players deposit large amounts of mats in an auto paver in the middle of nowhere, disconnected from the main road? What's also weird is that I keep getting notifications that people are depositing mats on stretches that are already completed.

To me this looks like the road building system is not as collaborative and shared as they want you to think. That's ok though, it's a chill and cool thing to do in between long hauls.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

If anyone was curious about the birthday stuff, they send an email and give you some likes. (idk how much tho) and birthday cake on the table!

EDIT: LMAO there is a special Mads scene when you leave the room. loving game lmao

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 14, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I just saw a bunch of BTs form a pool of tar in my distribution center and take away a truck. What gives

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Popular Human posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever swerved from “this game is terrible” to “okay this game is great” as fast as I did from the jump from the end of Chapter 5 to the beginning of Chapter 6.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
getting ch. 6 furiously talked to in conspiratorial tones in a shower is an amazing moment

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Chapter 10: you got to be loving kidding me?

I so regret not building all those ziplines and finishing the roads

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 14, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Impermanent posted:

getting ch. 6 furiously talked to in conspiratorial tones in a shower is an amazing moment

An aphenphosmphobic's nightmare stuck in the shower with GDT in your grill

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The otter hat makes squeaky toy sounds :3:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mandrel posted:

the same kind of people hating on death stranding now are the ones who slammed MGS2 and hurdur kojima spork nonsensed about its plot then

be on the right side of history folks, don’t be one of those who don’t appreciate greatness in its time. when we’re all pissing and making GBS threads in bottles to hurl at ghosts in 20 years time you won’t have to hang your head and say you never saw it coming

MGS2 sucked because it was a game that was 90% about accidentally cartwheeling into the prone position and being murdered in between ten minute long Codec calls about incest, a generation of nerds thinking it was transcendent genius because it was the first time they were exposed to 80s and 90s postmodern cyberpunk concepts like "people can lie on the internet" and "a work of fiction can acknowledge that it is a work of fiction in a way that accentuates its themes" is more about their failure to express basic information literacy than anything else.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There’s a lot of “chiral” equipment I’ve been getting. Should I save them for a rainy day or are they replaceable

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Once I connected the engineer and the craftsman to the network that whole stretch of road appeared out of thin air but nothing has evolved since and I've been building the road south by myself for a couple days now. Although there are typically some mats already deposited in the auto pavers so I don't know what's up with that. Why would players deposit large amounts of mats in an auto paver in the middle of nowhere, disconnected from the main road? What's also weird is that I keep getting notifications that people are depositing mats on stretches that are already completed.

To me this looks like the road building system is not as collaborative and shared as they want you to think. That's ok though, it's a chill and cool thing to do in between long hauls.

The road collaboration definitely has some wonkiness, but you can get some parts built for you depending on who you get connected to. I had a random section of the western road construct for me probably half an hour after I got the section on the grid.

The N->S road has one spot that will definitely throw you off as the paver is under the collector network, and the story doesnt take you there and I think I did at least 30% of the mats and all the final construction for my shard.

I'm not sure how much of an impact it has, but I've started forming strand contracts with the biggest Like people I've interacted with to improve the odds of getting their good stuff.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I got a couple questions I hope y'all can help me answer.

Pizza Delivery stuff: Can anyone tell me where the last one starts? He sends you an email talking about the "first prepper high atop a snowy mountain peak" or something. I've been to both the Mountaineer and the Spiritualist and it was neither of those.

Endgame stuff: Is there anything past Chapter 15 story wise? Or is this just the post game where you can do whatever you want. I've been doing a bunch of premium deliveries, finishing up roads etc. but I'm wondering if this is really the end

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Does anyone know how long vehicles will persist and/or how far you can travel from them without losing the cargo you have on board?

It seems like the trucks you can manufacture are maybe more forgiving than the ones you steal from MULEs (which I did a bunch before I could build my own), but the HUD indicator gets this blinky orange effect and it makes me worry. I've been about 700-800m away and back without incident, but I'd love to know if there's a maximum distance or time or what...

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a lot of “chiral” equipment I’ve been getting. Should I save them for a rainy day or are they replaceable

They're not replaceable as far as I know, but I feel like if you save them for a rainy day then you'll just never end up using them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah like an invincible rope is cool but eh use it

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

MGS2 sucked because it was a game that was 90% about accidentally cartwheeling into the prone position and being murdered in between ten minute long Codec calls about incest, a generation of nerds thinking it was transcendent genius because it was the first time they were exposed to 80s and 90s postmodern cyberpunk concepts like "people can lie on the internet" and "a work of fiction can acknowledge that it is a work of fiction in a way that accentuates its themes" is more about their failure to express basic information literacy than anything else.

The absurd need for nerds to call video games art and not accept that they are the modern equivalent of a board game or logic puzzle (or worse) is basically countered by a few games and although the content of MGS2 existed long before in other media it was a game that at least pulled off having a narrative, themes, and reflecting on the logical outcome of current trends... and utilized the medium to do it (both as a commercial product and as an interactive game). It also made fun of the player's power fantasy directly in the narrative, which is something I haven't seen as often.

If anything the first 8 or so chapters of death stranding are a denial of power fantasy and I think that's why many people didn't review it well. The gameplay is that you're loving struggling even if the in world narrative is you have some god like power to come back from the dead.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm in Episode 8 and as soon as Heartman said "EE" all I could think of was Emma Emerich and I laughed real hard. Also if I can't get my hands on gloves with speakers in them that recognize when I give a thumbs up and say "LIKE!" in the exact same effect as this game, I will be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

My guess is that they picked up materials from MULEs or found stuff on the ground and decided to drop it off in order to have more room for deliverable cargo. You can also raid MULE camps and postboxes, which in my experience have a decent amount of materials too.