Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a lot of “chiral” equipment I’ve been getting. Should I save them for a rainy day or are they replaceable

if youre getting them as rewards i think its just a nice way to give you a reason to run orders to them even after theyre maxed- stock up on the boots or aldders you cant print etc plus theyre blinged tf out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

MGS2? It rules actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The end of chapter 3 :psyduck:

The beginning of chapter 4 :psypop:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just remembered the ladder sequence in mgs3 and now I can’t help but think Kojima has been making this game for 20 years in his head.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nachos posted:

I just remembered the ladder sequence in mgs3 and now I can’t help but think Kojima has been making this game for 20 years in his head.

"what if all of snake's gear was visible and carried on his back/body"

There's a part of me that thinks a version of the MGS3 wounding/healing system would be right at home in this game. Stumbling on some rocks gives you a chance of breaking your foot, which you have to splint. You can take painkillers which help you move faster but it affects the speed of healing. You have various levels of casts/splints for feet/arms/legs/hands which restore different degrees of motion/speed. You need certain boots to tackle certain terrain or else your chance of getting a foot injury is increased.

Then again, I think making the game any more "realistic" (e.g. punishing for lack of detail focus and preparation) would shove the enjoyment of it off a cliff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jesus I wish there were situations where Sam could break a leg and die up until you find helpful stuff I Chapter 3. Really separate the real gamers from the Americans.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JBP posted:

Jesus I wish there were situations where Sam could break a leg and die up until you find helpful stuff I Chapter 3. Really separate the real gamers from the Americans.

you might say that would shove the enjoyment of the game off a cliff

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Definitely the first time I saw the inventory screen in this game, I had big MGS3 survival viewer flashbacks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pizza mission 45 is utter bullshit.

Edit: 20 minutes and 3 seconds. I guess it proves you can run from the bottom to the top of the map without a vehicle or even climbing

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 14, 2019

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is there a way to see what places will give me upgrades to certain gear? I've tried to memorize some of them but cant remember all of them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

When do you get the zip line

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Quinton posted:

Does anyone know how long vehicles will persist and/or how far you can travel from them without losing the cargo you have on board?

It seems like the trucks you can manufacture are maybe more forgiving than the ones you steal from MULEs (which I did a bunch before I could build my own), but the HUD indicator gets this blinky orange effect and it makes me worry. I've been about 700-800m away and back without incident, but I'd love to know if there's a maximum distance or time or what...

For what it's worth I've abandoned a trike at the engineers shelter to make a delivery all the way down to the timefall farm and it was still there including cargo about 1h later so it seems much more lenient than with cargo alone.

My most insane delivery so far (still at chapter 3) was the premium from the engineer to the weather station involving 16 pieces of L cargo to be done in 26 minutes. I had no truck at my disposal so I just loaded half that stuff on one of those small floating platforms, put the rest on my back and was still left with 1 box so I carried that one manually and walked there via the main road. Even on the paved road I had no stability, kept tripping frequently. The worst part was during the last stretch through the mountain: I ruined my shoes, got caught by BTs, lost my whole cargo, got dragged away by octopus thing, still escaped, somehow collected my lost boxes, ran to the top with no time left, nearly stumbled off the mountain a dozen times because no stamina, ruined another pairs of shoes, and made it barefoot to the shelter... 15 seconds late. :negative:

I still got a full star from it :3:

I can't figure out if I hate or love this game but I know for sure I can't stop playing it. The story is the weakest part to me so far, but the world building and post apoc collaborative trucker gameplay are ace.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Quinton posted:

Does anyone know how long vehicles will persist and/or how far you can travel from them without losing the cargo you have on board?

It seems like the trucks you can manufacture are maybe more forgiving than the ones you steal from MULEs (which I did a bunch before I could build my own), but the HUD indicator gets this blinky orange effect and it makes me worry. I've been about 700-800m away and back without incident, but I'd love to know if there's a maximum distance or time or what...

In my limited experience,
Any vehicles in the garage or on the elevator persist indefinitely.
The last vehicle you have ridden persists indefinitely.
If you use a vehicle that you didn’t create, and then get on another vehicle and the first vehicle has no cargo, the first vehicle is deleted the moment it is out of sight.
My guess is that, a vehicle with mission critical cargo will never despawn, and a vehicle with other cargo will despawn based on the regular cargo rules if you are using a different vehicle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Where is the side mission that unlocks vehicles bigger than the motorcycle? I think I missed it somehow.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
You can have four recently used vehicles, if you get in a fifth one it deletes the oldest. I don't think it matters whether you made it or not or where it's located (unless it's stored in a garage, in which case it's safe)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just did the math on how much ceramics and metals I'm gonna need for completing the highway and now I need a drink. This is gonna be one hell of a grind.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

tweet my meat posted:

Just did the math on how much ceramics and metals I'm gonna need for completing the highway and now I need a drink. This is gonna be one hell of a grind.

If you find delivery missions for those materials you can instantly take them out after you make the delivery.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Also keep in mind the tip posted a few pages back: you can pull everything out of the Shared Locker and recycle it. It's not selfish, it's going toward infrastructure!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Romes128 posted:

If you find delivery missions for those materials you can instantly take them out after you make the delivery.

Yeah, also I didn't realize until far too late in the game that the little quest delivery locations also have shared storage. I assumed the distro centers were the only place with materials storage because I've only ever recycled them at those locations.

I found like 3k metal and 1k ceramics at every single one of them and built about 4 whole sections of highway that I was missing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Since I’ll never find out because I don’t plan on killing anyone does killing mules/terrorists cause them to stop respawning, but also makes it become a BT area?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 14, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Romes128 posted:

Yeah even regular deliveries seem to boost it a bit so I know I can get it done, but it's gonna suck.

emdash posted:

Also keep in mind the tip posted a few pages back: you can pull everything out of the Shared Locker and recycle it. It's not selfish, it's going toward infrastructure!

This is something I hadn't thought of, though I might hold off unless I get really desperate.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Since I’ll never find out because I don’t plan on killing anyone does killing mules/terrorists cause them to stop despawnin, but also makes it become a BT area?

No. Die Hardman warns against killing miles but nothing really happens. I’ve killed a few when I ran out of bolo rounds. They respawn eventually.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Romes128 posted:

No. Die Hardman warns against killing miles but nothing really happens. I’ve killed a few when I ran out of bolo rounds. They respawn eventually.

I was wondering about that last night as I went on a truck-based rampage for ceramics.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Guess Mules are just really good about getting their dead breathren to an incinerator. Or maybe they just chuck them into a BT area nearby and set them on fire there

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm about to wrap up chapter 8 and I think I'm gonna go back and grind out 5 stars with everyone pre mountains. I have everyone in the mountains at 5 after setting up my zipline network but I never bothered with anyone who wasn't on the highway before getting ziplines.

Is there a list out there of which preppers give you what rewards/custom gear?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

For what it's worth I've abandoned a trike at the engineers shelter to make a delivery all the way down to the timefall farm and it was still there including cargo about 1h later so it seems much more lenient than with cargo alone.

Good to know. The trucks you can build have pretty crazy cargo capacity, so nice to know I can use them as a mobile base of operations if need be.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I can't figure out if I hate or love this game but I know for sure I can't stop playing it. The story is the weakest part to me so far, but the world building and post apoc collaborative trucker gameplay are ace.

I'm in chapter 5, but am still wrapping up chapter 3 delivery missions, having proudly repaved all the way from Port Knot City to South Knot City (can I request a name change to Sam Roads Builder?) I am having a lot of fun as a post-apoc fedex guy. I kinda like the *setting* but the story/writing and how it's presented is just sorta absurd, but somehow combined with the delivery and rebuilding game it's all strangely compelling.

I'm very surprised how much I'm enjoying it. I think it's kind of a pity that the game waits until you're into chapter 3 to start giving you the tools to effectively deal with stuff -- I can imagine a lot of people getting frustrated and giving up long before then. "Push ahead to chapter 3 asap" was maybe the best advice I was given.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm getting bummed out. Nobody is helping build the highway network in my game. The last 5 road segments have been all me, I've had to loot MULE zones and pull materials out to get them done.

People were very helpful at first. Now...nothing. Come on guys!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

DalaranJ posted:

In my limited experience,
Any vehicles in the garage or on the elevator persist indefinitely.
The last vehicle you have ridden persists indefinitely.
If you use a vehicle that you didn’t create, and then get on another vehicle and the first vehicle has no cargo, the first vehicle is deleted the moment it is out of sight.
My guess is that, a vehicle with mission critical cargo will never despawn, and a vehicle with other cargo will despawn based on the regular cargo rules if you are using a different vehicle.

Yesterday I did the Junk Dealer's deliveries. Since I had to run to the Chiral Artist on foot I left an online trike with gear on it at the junk dealer's place. Right as I got to the chiral artist's hideout I got notices that the equipment was out of range. After the cutscenes there the game told me my gear was now eligible for other porters.

So the range is about that far. I'm not sure the trike despawned until I got on another trike I found on the way back, at which point I got a message that said the other trike got deleted.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Seems to be a few others building roads in my game. The game is also vomiting thousands of likes at me because people use the road I chucked a few hundred metal and ceramic into. Thanks I guess!

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm getting bummed out. Nobody is helping build the highway network in my game. The last 5 road segments have been all me, I've had to loot MULE zones and pull materials out to get them done.

Somebody mentioned three theory that roads are probably not a 100% shared, but that instead you get a small input of materials every time someone else completes their section, which makes a lot of sense really.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Seems to be a few others building roads in my game. The game is also vomiting thousands of likes at me because people use the road I chucked a few hundred metal and ceramic into. Thanks I guess!

I beat up a couple porters thinking they were mules (they were in or at least near a mule area and I thought I'd gotten the drop on them) and lost 13k likes.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

parasyte posted:

Yesterday I did the Junk Dealer's deliveries. Since I had to run to the Chiral Artist on foot I left an online trike with gear on it at the junk dealer's place. Right as I got to the chiral artist's hideout I got notices that the equipment was out of range. After the cutscenes there the game told me my gear was now eligible for other porters.

So the range is about that far. I'm not sure the trike despawned until I got on another trike I found on the way back, at which point I got a message that said the other trike got deleted.

Cargo despawns at the draw distance which is around 400m from what I can tell. Cargo in your own vehicle may stick around longer I'll have to try that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah even regular deliveries seem to boost it a bit so I know I can get it done, but it's gonna suck.

This is something I hadn't thought of, though I might hold off unless I get really desperate.

Also remember every base has a different reserve

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lanth posted:

Somebody mentioned three theory that roads are probably not a 100% shared, but that instead you get a small input of materials every time someone else completes their section, which makes a lot of sense really.

The very first road segment in my game wasn't built when I started. When I completed it and came back the next day I had 3 more segments attached to it. Then I did a few more, came back the next day and there were 3 more.

But for the last 2 days there's been absolutely nothing. No materials, no nothing. Everything that's been done has been done by me. Even though I've been getting notifications that people have been adding materials to the auto-pavers, I don't see it reflected anywhere. I agree there's something funky going on but I'm not sure what.

Come on fellow porters. Let's Connect America Again!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think the roads requiring SO MUCH material is a bad idea in this regard. After a while I stopped bothering because it was too much.

Also I'm sure it doesn't help that this game came out a week before Pokemon. I imagine there's a lot of people, like me, who got to a certain point and chose to focus on the story to make sure they could get through it before Pokemon comes out. I want to go back and do more side stuff, but I'll probably do that after or in between playing Pokemon

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

lets hang out posted:

When do you get the zip line

chapter 5

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Macaluso posted:

I think the roads requiring SO MUCH material is a bad idea in this regard. After a while I stopped bothering because it was too much.

If everyone who was connected donated 50 Chiral, 100 Metal and 100 Ceramics at each paver - and it actually went to other people's games - it would go really fast.

I think the point is that you can't do it alone without Herculean effort. Which sucks when nobody helps you.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I think a lot of people stopped bothering with roads once the zip lines show up, because they're way faster / more convenient and require almost zero resources. It might have been a mistake to introduce them so early.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm not sure that autopaver resource distribution (meaning, what you see in your game client vs. what has actually been submitted to the server) is working correctly. Several people have now said that they never saw other people build roads after a certain point, and I had the same experience--just one completed by other people since Sunday.

Or maybe everyone's just lazy. Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I also think there's a number of goons who are a lot further than most people and seeing less structures because of it. Like, only 8% of people have even reached Chapter Five so far going by trophy percentages.

The vast majority of players are still hanging around Chapter 3, connecting up the first few settlements.