Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dalael posted:

The overall story wasn't great, the character arcs were rather poor. Individual episodes were fun tho, I can't take that way from them. But an intellectual show it was not. What is was, was good entertainment for the sake of entertainment.

I am sorry to hear you still have not recovered from that massive head injury, and also have no taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

social media on fleek

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Farscape was loving fantastic and only had three seasons.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Dalael posted:

Was just about to post along those lines... feels like whever the cia tries to kill someone, it fails. How many times did they fail at assassinating Castro?

less specific to the CIA but american intelligence and security services generally (deathsquads etc) loving suck anywhere people don't speak english and are totally useless if they can't find mobsters who accept dollar bribes. neither of those apply inside the us so they can be pretty effective there

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Dalael posted:

Was just about to post along those lines... feels like whever the cia tries to kill someone, it fails. How many times did they fail at assassinating Castro?

hello poster with telepathic knowledge of the cia kill ratio

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Big 'delete your account' energy there.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

How do you keep track of everyone's gender on a forum? do you have a spreadsheet or something?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dalael posted:

How do you keep track of everyone's gender on a forum? do you have a spreadsheet or something?

the red text with the appropriate pronoun next to the post helps in this specific case

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the red text with the appropriate pronoun next to the post helps in this specific case

oh.. I didn't even notice.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

do you have access to some record of whether it’s the same person who bought the original and corrected redtexts because that’s a hoot

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Someone give me a list of recommended tng episodes I'm not watching all of that poo poo like 90% of it is gay nerd poo poo

the one where Wil Wheaton was trolled off of Mastodon

no, wait, that was real life :thunk:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I am sorry to hear you still have not recovered from that massive head injury, and also have no taste.

Hey that's unfair! I did like it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I figured it would be hillary that would kill the meme, but it's pretty on point that Warren would do it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I was hoping for a bigger ratio tbh

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

World War Mammories posted:

do you have access to some record of whether it’s the same person who bought the original and corrected redtexts because that’s a hoot

no the transactions aren’t tied to accounts and I think only the payment processor sees the name of the buyer

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

the whole point of TNG is that it's gay nerd poo poo, dumbass

it's neoliberal nerd poo poo, as the entire ideal of TNG is basically "oh, let us use our arguments and our enlightenment to solve all of our problems"

at least Janeway had the gall to go, "gently caress it, gently caress you, gently caress you, and gently caress me, I'm blowing up the ship"

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rodatose posted:

what if you campaigned in multiple places with a broad set of policies that would help everyone in those places, instead of just seeing what the absolute minimum is you can promise to a few select places in order to squeak out as tight a victory as possible

Holy poo poo, this sounds like a great strategy for winning elections! I'll just go run it by the donors

edit: they said no :(

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1194983561356554241?s=19

Peter is maybe two weeks away from taking to the hills and starting his own Maoist insurgency.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

OH poo poo!

quote:

“I, as I say, never, never, never say never,” the former secretary of State said on BBC Radio 5 Live. “I will certainly tell you, I’m under enormous pressure from many, many, many people to think about it.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/12/hillary-clinton-presidential-run-2020-070318

*Hillary reluctantly draws her blade*

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

im glad that the rape guy is officially in the race and i look forward to his candidacy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My sci-fi TV opinions:

Farscape started out okay, became brilliant, but completely collapsed in its (nonexistent) fourth season, but the finale was great, and also there is no such thing as Peacekeeper Wars.

Stargate SG-1, in spite of being blatant Air Force propaganda, is stupid fun, and that's definitely a compliment. I enjoyed what I saw of Atlantis too, but the magic wasn't really there.

TOS and DS9 are the best Trek TV series. Improvised Star Trek is the best Star Trek series, period. About a third of TNG is still watchable (but that third is some fantastic television). Voyager occasionally aspired to the lofty heights of competence. I've heard tell that Enterprise eventually became watchable but I suspect this opinion is the result of dementia brought on by exposure to episodes of Enterprise. I saw the first half of the first season of Discovery and liked it well enough but haven't seen anything else. Cautiously optimistic about the Picard series.

Babylon 5 has tremendous historical importance but I think it's watchable exactly once. Also J. Michael Straczynski wrote that abominable "Doom sheds a tear for the victims of 9/11" comic, a feat of writing bad enough to retroactively poison anything else he ever worked on before or since. Wrap it up, Babylailures.

Nu-Battlestar Galactica is mostly excellent. Old-Battlestar Galactica is tremendous fun, especially the two-parter where the Space Devil shows up.

The Expanse is great.

I'm completely 100% serious about Improvised Star Trek.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

im glad that the rape guy is officially in the race and i look forward to his candidacy

flipping a coin to see whether the K-Hive goes after him on that or not

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ugggghhhhhhhhh

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Victory Position posted:

flipping a coin to see whether the K-Hive goes after him on that or not

i hope that some terminally online nutjob makes the "they only care about her being a psychopath because she's black" argument with him

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The Lexx erasure in this scifi chat is disgusting

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

John Chrichton is the most crack-pinged sci-fi captain.

Anderson Dawes may be one of the best supporting sci-fi characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG3Z4zYSr8I

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

i hope that some terminally online nutjob makes the "they only care about her being a psychopath because she's black" argument with him

weird... if I enter in the conversation between the K-Hive and Deval supporters into a visualizer, it turns into a Julia fractal that looks like you're descending straight into hell

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

bloom posted:

The Lexx erasure in this scifi chat is disgusting

:hmmyes:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Deval Patrick has never been accused of rape

You might be thinking of his former brother-in-law who was recently convicted of raping his ex-wife, Patrick's sister

...or did you confuse him with Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

galenanorth posted:

"The Inner Light" (S05E25) and "Darmok" (S05E2) are regarded as two of the the best episodes

Dickeye, when the balls fell

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

really queer Christmas posted:

I figured it would be hillary that would kill the meme, but it's pretty on point that Warren would do it.

Warren is Clinton though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dickeye, when the ropes bust

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dickeye, when the balls fell

Lindahl, his GUARANTEED OFFER wide

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Deval Patrick has never been accused of rape

You might be thinking of his former brother-in-law who was recently convicted of raping Patrick's sister

...or did you confuse him with Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax

he fired a bunch of people for trying to force his convicted rapist brother in law to register as a sex offender in massachusetts

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

galenanorth posted:

"The Inner Light" (S05E25) and "Darmok" (S05E2) are regarded as two of the the best episodes

The Drumhead (S4E21)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

he fired a bunch of people for trying to force his convicted rapist brother in law to register as a sex offender in massachusetts

Lol whoops I'm a dummy

Turns out the story is ludicrously hosed up though, Patrick was just like "yeah I fired them for listing my rapist brother-in-law on the sex offender registry," no cover-up

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...wXhO/story.html

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

The Drumhead (S4E21)

seconding this recommendation. That's the best one on the topic of inquisition and civil liberties

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Goatman, with his rear end wide

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Lol whoops I'm a dummy

Turns out the story is ludicrously hosed up though, Patrick was just like "yeah I fired them for listing my rapist brother-in-law on the sex offender registry," no cover-up

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...wXhO/story.html

MY president :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Victory Position posted:

it's neoliberal nerd poo poo, as the entire ideal of TNG is basically "oh, let us use our arguments and our enlightenment to solve all of our problems"

at least Janeway had the gall to go, "gently caress it, gently caress you, gently caress you, and gently caress me, I'm blowing up the ship"

Its also about teamwork, listening to others,being emotionally supportive, and acknowledging when you're wrong. How many shows now rely on tension because people refuse to talk to each other? Compare that to old trek . Calling it neoliberal isn't right, because neoliberal would just be a bunch of people backstabbing each other to rise up the ranks and telling the captain he's great despite him loving up constantly.

Bab5 has the best story and worst acting but great battle scenes
Farscape has the best acting all around , zany creatures, fun poo poo, and the greatest villain in tv history

If anyone hasn't seen prisoner you need to , it's short and episodes like chimes of big Ben and schizoid man are incredible