Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Flopsy posted:

That's where the double kick money went apparently.

Why kick when you can final flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cinderace definitely won out on having the coolest looking signature attack of the three starters

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I forgot to pre-order this because I'm a dumbass adult, I feel like I'm going to regret getting a digital version of a pokémon game

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I forgot to pre-order this because I'm a dumbass adult, I feel like I'm going to regret getting a digital version of a pokémon game

just buy it in a store

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Cinderace definitely won out on having the coolest looking signature attack of the three starters

Haven't seen rillaboom's yet actually.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

doomisland posted:

just buy it in a store

This is what I'm doing and I can't wait to have to insist to underpaid store clerks that it is in fact out today no I know your website says Sunday for some reason it's wrong.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RatHat posted:

1) Still around and just as annoying to use since a Pokémon still needs to be 100 to hyper train.
2) Yes, Pokémon of the same species can learn egg moves from each other in the daycare.

Oh what, it has to be the same species? Lame

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

Also I will point out that according to the Pokemon type coverage calculator (https://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage), Water/Ice/Ghost is better than Water/Ice/Dark (Greninja), Water/Ice/Fairy (Primarina), and Water/Ground (Gyarados).

I think I would run dark pulse anyway just for the sweet flinch chance. Dark is probably pretty close to ghost for coverage and flinches lead to free KOs.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

so this is spiral power huh?
it's quite something

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

doomisland posted:

just buy it in a store

that sounds like effort

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
love watching a huge garish pile of lasers appear out of nowhere in front of my t-posing tyranitar's chest while the ear-rending gen 1 SFX play

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So do we get all 4 fossil pieces and can mix and match to get 2 Pokes, or do we only get to choose 1 combo

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

doomisland posted:

just buy it in a store

This only works if stores have any stock. In the past you had to pre-order because everywhere would be sold out for weeks. Hopefully with digital downloads this won't be the case.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

So do we get all 4 fossil pieces and can mix and match to get 2 Pokes, or do we only get to choose 1 combo

Someone's eager to play God eh?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

blizzardvizard posted:

yea what's the fossil system, I like the sound of the general idea but I don't know how it works this gen proper

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Is Gigantimax Larvitar just Larvitar, with no G-Max Tyranitar?

That's hella lame if that's true.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I feel embarrassed currently given my earlier whining but I am still kind of on the fence. I like what I see (I want a Galarian Meowth….is it a Meowth? gently caress it, I want my grubby looking son), but the comments by GameExplain and Eurogamer about the world feeling small are kind of getting to me, since I mainly play these for the adventure rather than the competitive aspects. That said, I see most getting 30 hours out of the story which is by no means short. Going to keep on waiting and seeing.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 15, 2019

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

I'm still avoiding as many spoilers as possible like I said before, but I know that one of my favorite Pokemon ever Venonat / Venomoth is gone and one of my other favorite Pokemon ever Gardevoir is in so I must ask: How early in the game can I get Ralts? I want to have a Gardevoir with Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Moonblast, and Draining Kiss like I did when I was younger. Also can the game use the Switch's CPU to give me my youthful sense of awe again?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

You now lose 10% of your health when Mimikyu's Disguise is busted

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cartoon Violence posted:

I'm still avoiding as many spoilers as possible like I said before, but I know that one of my favorite Pokemon ever Venonat / Venomoth is gone and one of my other favorite Pokemon ever Gardevoir is in so I must ask: How early in the game can I get Ralts? I want to have a Gardevoir with Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Moonblast, and Draining Kiss like I did when I was younger. Also can the game use the Switch's CPU to give me my youthful sense of awe again?

From the look of the Pokedex Ralts is in it and showing up pretty early, but I can't say for sure and I don't know where, ask again in 24 hours.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Cartoon Violence posted:

looks like you can get it pretty early (wild encounters around levels 7-10) in a place called "Rolling Fields"; they're very common on foggy days, it seems.
mind you, i still have no idea where Rolling Fields is.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I am still salty about Sawsbuck but my icy friend since gen 4, Weavile, is in so I will dry my tears with it’s pink feathery (?) crest

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cartoon Violence posted:

Serebii just added in the locations of pokemon in game. Look up ralts and it should give you their location for gen 8.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

but the comments by GameExplain and Eurogamer about the world feeling small are kind of getting to me, since I mainly play these for the adventure rather than the competitive aspects.

https://imgur.com/fZxite3

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Framboise posted:

Bringing back some of the original sounds effects from RBY was such a fantastic flavor choice.

I am fairly sure Hyper Beam, Psychic and I think Bubble Beam have always used the exact same sound effect throughout every generation

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

lmao

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Cant wait to explore this new world with my hecking woofing fluffers! Thanks again bethesda!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FOLKS I HAVE AN IMPORTANT CRITICAL QUESTION:

Can I use the SNES controller to play this game?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
That pop in looks rough. I dunno, I like the new designs for the most part and the wild area sounds cool but if there isn’t really any postgame content I think I might have to skip this one. That’s a shame because the new fighting type grappler sounds loving awesome

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

I am fairly sure Hyper Beam, Psychic and I think Bubble Beam have always used the exact same sound effect throughout every generation

No, they've all changed pretty significantly gen to gen.

Even gen 2 has a pretty distinct Hyper Beam from gen 1

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Honestly Gen 5 seems to have had better attack animations and that had to get by on the attacks effects alone since the Pokemon in those couldn't actually move like a 3D model can.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Halp.

I thought I had another 2 weeks. I don't even have a switch yet.

Is trading in game yet? I like sword dog, but I need Ponyta and Corsola.

Also, is battling up yet? Are they doing the thing where it's Galarian Dex only, and for how long are they doing this? My favourite kind of battling is the kind before everyone just imports their murderbeasts from previous generations.

I'm getting fairly tempted to just run out and buy a switch.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
:bait:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Everything should be online. It requires a $20 Nintendo Switch Online subscription to access however.

There are only 400 Pokemon in the Galar Pokedex and there will be no way to import others, though hackers have already started making their teams.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Stonjourner has base 20 special defense :cripes:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

are there any steel types in with good special defense? i'm planning on running a rock/steel/ground team and there's no shortage of physical 'mons (Steelix :swoon:) but i need to find a special wall.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

are there any steel types in with good special defense? i'm planning on running a rock/steel/ground team and there's no shortage of physical 'mons (Steelix :swoon:) but i need to find a special wall.

Good ol' Ferrothorn makes an excellent special steel-type wall.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so they meant to make some of the moves look bad is this what im understanding

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

thrilla in vanilla posted:

That pop in looks rough. I dunno, I like the new designs for the most part and the wild area sounds cool but if there isn’t really any postgame content I think I might have to skip this one. That’s a shame because the new fighting type grappler sounds loving awesome

Iunno. Every time I see it it's berry trees. Like, you can see the trainer over there. So it's just interactive things that pop in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

galagazombie posted:

Honestly Gen 5 seems to have had better attack animations and that had to get by on the attacks effects alone since the Pokemon in those couldn't actually move like a 3D model can.

I think that might be why the animations get flak. Most of the Z move animations would look amazing if you didn't see the Pokemon in question, but seeing them get dragged and wobbled across the screen like a bad puppet show immediately makes them feel worse.