Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

I started reading the Ultraman manga. It's not bad. Not very fast paced though, the entire first volume is just one fight. The second volume has a little more happen, but it still feels like the artist was on strict orders to include as many big panels of Ultraman standing dramatically to fill up space.

Which Ultraman manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shoe's on the other foot now, Shirakura!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Burkion posted:

Which Ultraman manga?

Ultraman? The manga called Ultraman.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
The 2011 manga, yeah? That money-shot heavy formatting is more a byproduct of Eiichi Shimizu, to be frank. It happens a lot in Getter Robo Devolution and also in Hybrid Insector, the Kamen Rider doujin he worked on before getting shut down by Toei.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Trogglodyte posted:

The 2011 manga, yeah? That money-shot heavy formatting is more a byproduct of Eiichi Shimizu, to be frank. It happens a lot in Getter Robo Devolution and also in Hybrid Insector, the Kamen Rider doujin he worked on before getting shut down by Toei.

I'm imagining that he writes like five pages of story each week and then has to be like, "uhhh.... ok at one point Ultraman jumps, can you make that take up three pages?"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Shoe's on the other foot now, Shirakura!
We are supposed not to know about Another #1.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Gripweed posted:

I'm imagining that he writes like five pages of story each week and then has to be like, "uhhh.... ok at one point Ultraman jumps, can you make that take up three pages?"
The first six chapters of Hybrid Insector have been translated ages ago and are available on most scanlation sites. Take a read through, takes less than 5 minutes. If you would notice, it's got a lot of the same beats as Shimizu/Tomohiro's Ultramanga, and just like it, it takes forever to give anything close to a framework of a synopsis, it's mostly just setting windowdressing and a fight.

Pretty art, though. Shame about the C&D making it shut down for several years. It's pretty obvious Shimizu repurposed a lot of plot beats from Insector into Ultraman (2011) and convinced Tomohiro to get on board since it meant he could make more sick power armor designs.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Trogglodyte posted:

The second: So a Korean fan asked Shirakura (Producer of Kamen Rider Zi-O) on Twitter who his favorite Another Rider was. With it, he accidentally spoiled the Winter movie, or at least one of the villains: Another Rider 1.

When Another Rider 1, aka Another 1, dies, I will yell "another one bites the dust" and immediately get spray bottled.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I'm 36. :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So the new season of The Toys That Made Us came out today and Power Rangers was one of the properties given an episode, and it came out really well researched and respectful to the Japanese side of the franchise, they talked a lot about Kamen Rider's role as a forefather of Sentai, as well as how Japanese Spider-Man brought robots into the franchise(and thus made it Super), they even clarified the long standing rumors about Stan Lee wanting to bring Sun Vulcan over to the US*, as well as how that led to Saban finally finding someone interested in his Bioman pitch as one of the people involved with Stan Lee's effort had by then become head of children's programming at Fox and thus was immediately interested

Though there were two aspects that were kinda surprising, they didn't bring up any of the Power Rangers theatrical movies, and they didn't bring up the fact that Power Rangers had a lot of knockoffs(which was something they glossed over in the TMNT episode as well)

*honestly kinda surprising he didn't try bringing them over to the comics at least

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
If I had to guess, it's because the Power Rangers knock-offs had much less grounds for success. Most were either not by Saban (and terrible) and thus can't afford the marketing that PR had, or were by Saban (and terrible) and thus couldn't be pushed as much in fear of internal competition killing sales for PR. Also because they were mostly loving terrible. Like I won't pretend shows like Street Sharks or Biker Mice From Mars are high art but compared to something like Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills, which looks like an absolute parody, or Van-Pires, which literally does not exist on the internet anymore because how much of a blight on God it was, I can see why it stands out more than those or similarly derivative works of Power Rangers.

Then again Van-Pires might be more like a Beetleborgs knock-off given the "horror movie monster" themes. Though that sounds more depressing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Van-Pires is ugly, unfunny, extremely "how do you do fellow #teens," and has atrocious dialogue even for that, but the worst thing about it is that there's no character named Carmilla.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Trogglodyte posted:

If I had to guess, it's because the Power Rangers knock-offs had much less grounds for success. Most were either not by Saban (and terrible) and thus can't afford the marketing that PR had, or were by Saban (and terrible) and thus couldn't be pushed as much in fear of internal competition killing sales for PR. Also because they were mostly loving terrible. Like I won't pretend shows like Street Sharks or Biker Mice From Mars are high art but compared to something like Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills, which looks like an absolute parody, or Van-Pires, which literally does not exist on the internet anymore because how much of a blight on God it was, I can see why it stands out more than those or similarly derivative works of Power Rangers.

Then again Van-Pires might be more like a Beetleborgs knock-off given the "horror movie monster" themes. Though that sounds more depressing.

I've never even heard of Van-pires, but that looks horrific

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The name is good, but the problem is that the Van-pires are part van part vampire. They should've been vampires that lived in vans.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have the old TV Guide issues with Power Rangers cover features next to me, but I don’t yet want to break their brittle spines further checking this, yet I swear to god that TTAF was something that aired in the evenings and thus why I dismissed it as parody. People tell me it was in the mornings, though? Maybe it’s because I knew USA for late night stuff like Duckman? Maybe it moved around?

My memory, particularly of my early time spent watching TV, is photographic and pretty comprehensive going back to 86. That I’m apparently wrong on this always bothered me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I have the old TV Guide issues with Power Rangers cover features next to me, but I don’t yet want to break their brittle spines further checking this, yet I swear to god that TTAF was something that aired in the evenings and thus why I dismissed it as parody. People tell me it was in the mornings, though? Maybe it’s because I knew USA for late night stuff like Duckman? Maybe it moved around?

My memory, particularly of my early time spent watching TV, is photographic and pretty comprehensive going back to 86. That I’m apparently wrong on this always bothered me.

That could be anything. TTAF started on NBC and went over to USA and I can find the days it aired but not what time. the only time I DID find is not something I believe, which is that it aired at midnight or near about.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's actually probably true. I was a weird kid who started watching Saturday Night Live in 1987, and even watched Letterman's 12:30AM show until school became challenging enough. Until South Park supernova'd that was the time slot for "too risque for prime time" programming (that would probably be prime time now, but TTAF was out there in the hours that couldn't justify being awake on a school night by 1994. It clearly struck me as something deliberately stupid for college students to laugh at, as USA was already going after the raunchy college demo with stuff like Duckman and Weird Science.

Most of the earliest PR web pages were run by end-tail Gen Xers who were in it to bust their guts over the special effects failures and other things that the core audience could suspension-of-disbelief out of their minds. Those young adults began losing interest after Green With Evil, and then almost entirely disappeared when the second season got rid of the Rita Lipsynch Drinking Game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Trogglodyte posted:

I meant more in being brought up in the whole "trying to leech off the success of the original" kind of thing, especially considering how many TMNT had*

*indeed it's kinda funny that from a marketing point MMPR basically started off as acting like it was yet another TMNT knockoff

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

That's really sad. His character was really cool and memorable, especially when he came back later in Drive. RIP. :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/reiwakeya/status/1195763705687896065

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Ohmori can't go one season without making the dads evil, can't he?

According to this article and the second name, this fella's name is Kamen Rider Ichigata (Type 1), written as 仮面ライダー1型 - a clear callback to Kamen Rider #1 (仮面ライダー1号)

One last update: The poster for Reiwa: the First Generation has a cameo of Another Rider 1, so now we know what he looks like.

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 17, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SpazmasterX posted:

Which one though?

he didnt know where to start so i told him w and linked him the ozc torrents

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You know what Ridewatches lacked?

A bunch of bad guys. Also Cross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6elOuV8cz68
"Revived with the power of Dangerous Zombie! Genm Zombie Gamer!"
"Armor Time! Buggle Up! Zombie!"
"Finish Time! Genm! Dead Time Break/Burst!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqvN2eKHFec
"So the festival's here? The ferocious and villainous rider is... Ouja!"
"Armor Time! Advent! Ouja!"
"Finish Time! Ouja! Final Time Break/Burst!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqvN2eKHFec
"The Fangire King equipped with the armour of darkness is... Dark Kiva!"
"Armor Time! Wake Up! Dark Kiva!"
"Finish Time! Dark Kiva! Darkness Time Break/Burst!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOMndLj-ktA
"Crush the Sclashjelly to transform! Cross-Z Charge!"
"Armor Time! Dragon Jelly! Cross-Z Charge!"
"Finish Time! Cross-Z! Scrap Time Break/Burst!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AMaN86MKes
"The sly rider who made a contract with Volcancer is... Scissors!"
"Armor Time! Advent! Scissors!"
"Finish Time! Scissors! Final Time Break/Burst!"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Trogglodyte posted:

Ohmori can't go one season without making the dads evil, can't he?

According to this article and the second name, this fella's name is Kamen Rider Ichigata (Type 1), written as 仮面ライダー1型 - a clear callback to Kamen Rider #1 (仮面ライダー1号)

One last update: The poster for Reiwa: the First Generation has a cameo of Another Rider 1, so now we know what he looks like.

That suit is gorgeous!

Episode 10 of 01

01 does not do secrets or conflicts that could be solved by people sitting down and talking about it. It’s great. I didn’t expect the Yua reveal to be over so quickly

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We got the trailer for the Zero-One/Zi-O movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qAtMZt-GNQ

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

We got the trailer for the Zero-One/Zi-O movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qAtMZt-GNQ

Firsts slamming the table BAD DAD BAD DAD BAD DAD BAD DAD

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
It wouldn't be an Ohmori show without one.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
We uh, had one already though. Scorpion themed guy, main villain?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Justin_Brett posted:

We uh, had one already though. Scorpion themed guy, main villain?

Trogglodyte posted:

It wouldn't be an Ohmori show without one.

BAD DADS BAD DADS BAD DADS BAD DADS BAD DADS BAD DADS BAD DADS

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now that I'm losing weight I'm incredibly into the Baltan and Kanegon jackets in this collection but oof they aren't cheap. :(

https://shop.switch-japan.com

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm starting to think Ohmori has some actual dad issues, he does the Evil Dads thing so drat much :thunk:

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm starting to think Ohmori has some actual dad issues, he does the Evil Dads thing so drat much :thunk:
I like to rip on Ohmori for it, but it genuinely isn't any real fault. Shirakura set up a three point guideline for describing the internal conflict of a Kamen Rider. One of them is 親殺し, or "Killing your parent." What's a more blatant choice of parricide than literal parricide, as opposed to metaphorical? Here's the full rundown of those three points:

Shinichiro Shirakura posted:

「私たちが考える仮面ライダーの本質は三つあります。一つは『同族同士の争い』。ショッカーが作り出した改造人間・仮面ライダーが、同じショッカーの改造人間たちと戦う。
これは戦争の暗喩だと思います。二つ目は『親殺し』です。ライダーがショッカーと戦うことは自分の創造主、すなわち親を殺すことになる。三つ目は『自己否定』。
ショッカーを倒し、怪人を世界からなくすことが仮面ライダーの目的ならば、最後に倒すべき怪人とは、他ならぬ自分自身になる。これら三つの要素を突き詰めれば、
『自分とは何か』という重い問いかけにつながる。それは、理屈を越えて人々の心に響くのではないか」
Translation:
We see three key essences within Kamen Rider.
1. "Familial conflict." Shocker remodels a man. The remodeled man fights the very same Shocker that "made" him.
2. "Parricide." By fighting and destroying Shocker, Masked Rider is fighting and killing his own creator, their parent.
3. "Self-denial." If you want to defeat Shocker and want to rid the world of all its monsters, as per your role as a Masked Rider, then the last monster you must defeat is yourself.

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 18, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey, that last one isn't fair at all! Wataru never fought Otoya at all, that Dark Kiva is his brother, not his father!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also Amazons is a case of Bad Son, quite the opposite of Bad Dad

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Also Amazons is a case of Bad Son, quite the opposite of Bad Dad

What you think of Jin as a person can vary since he is quite a complex character, but let's not pretend at all here that he isn't a Bad Dad.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Also kinda dumb for apparently not using a condom. "But I'm not human anymore!" isn't an excuse, if he'd wrapped his rascal the entire second half could have been avoided.

Though in hindsight it's kind of sad too. You can tell he's stoked as gently caress at the idea of being a dad before he realizes "oh gently caress my kid might be an Amazon..." :smith:

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Jin is a comically bad dad. Not even just morally bad, just plain incompetent. Also, if we're saying Horobi is other Jin's dad as mentioned a little earlier, technically he's the entire Amazons' dad. And he's a pretty bad dad to 'em I have to say.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That's different, in a "WHY THE gently caress DID YOU EVEN HELP CREATE THESE IN THE FIRST PLACE?!" kind of way.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Now that I'm losing weight I'm incredibly into the Baltan and Kanegon jackets in this collection but oof they aren't cheap. :(

https://shop.switch-japan.com

Gorgeous. I would wear every one of those Tohu/Kaiju themed jackets, given the money. Hell, I'd rock the Hello Kitty stuff too.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

For emphasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zero-One Riders in Ganbarizing. Some get fun moves here, some are just kind of boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP4wg8hq7Do