Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah it wasn't any army, more like a loosely established militia at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/KartoonistKelly/status/1195445955106988033?s=19

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I love the slightly cut off "oil crisis"

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

idgi half of the poo poo on the boomer list is unquestionably bad things??
e: oh i got onion'd lol

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
GenZ's apparently got a name for GenXers that act like Boomers now: Karens.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/laurenstrapagiel/gen-z-is-calling-gen-x-the-karen-generation

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

That's a weirdly old meme to suddenly kick into the mainstream.

EDIT: Whatever happened to Waterbeds, now that I think about it? They were everywhere, now they're nowhere.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Neito posted:

That's a weirdly old meme to suddenly kick into the mainstream.

EDIT: Whatever happened to Waterbeds, now that I think about it? They were everywhere, now they're nowhere.

Interest in them has deflated over time.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Neito posted:

Everybody realized they were a giant PITA to maintain, disastrous when they leaked, and sex on them was kinda weird and sloshy. Insurance hassles didn’t help either.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

JnnyThndrs posted:

sex on them was horrendously loud in a bad way

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Wafer posted:

And it wasn't just Boomers driving drunk. My wife's best friend in high school was killed by a drunk driver and since the driver was the police chief's son no charges were filed.

Boomers will tell you how wonderful small towns are, but small town cops are orders of magnitude worse than city cops because there's even less accountability.

Your mom was 37 when Windows 95 came out. File Explorer predates 95, but that was at least the first time it gained widespread consumer use and a quarter of a century later you're still trying to explain the concept.

I don't mean to :goonsay:, and i know not everyone's good with technology, but boomers' complete failure to understand internet things and choice to call every form of electronic communication "email" is the result of an active decision to violate the modern societal social contract. To be so clueless in 2019 is 100% a choice

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neito posted:

Freddy Krueger drowned all their owners

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I somehow had a king sized waterbed for about a year as a young kid, my bedroom was an unfinished basement, with just the framing as the walls next to the furnace. I also had a pet rabbit that was kept behind bed springs leaning against the cement wall with boards placed over the sides to keep it inside the "cage". I had a weird childhood but I definitely loved that waterbed.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Neito posted:

If it weren't by a scary emo band where the lead singer is a boy who wears dark clothes and makeup and sings about being unhappy, MCR's "Teenagers" would be a boomer anthem.

I loved and still love the absolute gently caress out of MCR. My mom, on the other hand, thought they were a violent satanic band and made me keep my copy of the Three Cheers album in the closet. Which I'd take out whenever she wasn't home. :nallears:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Framboise posted:

I loved and still love the absolute gently caress out of MCR. My mom, on the other hand, thought they were a violent satanic band and made me keep my copy of the Three Cheers album in the closet. Which I'd take out whenever she wasn't home. :nallears:

My mom absolutely hated Radiohead and thought they were going to make me kill myself.

Joke's on her, it was the childhood abuse and gender dysphoria that made me want to kill myself.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone who was always naturally depressed, it still weirds me out the way some people get allergic to Radiohead's pixie wistfulness like it's staring into the Abyss.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mind the walrus posted:

As someone who was always naturally depressed, it still weirds me out the way some people get allergic to Radiohead's pixie wistfulness like it's staring into the Abyss.

I never really got how Thom Yorke and Radiohead got labeled as Dark and Brooding. Like, unless I'm just being ignorant, even poo poo like Optimistic was more wistful centrism than "Man, life really sucks", and Creep is more self-effacing than depressing.

I think if I had a do-over on life, I'd've reversed my very, very stupid teenage theory that I was rebelling by only being into classic rock.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Neito posted:

I think if I had a do-over on life, I'd've reversed my very, very stupid teenage theory that I was rebelling by only being into classic rock.

"Yeah I like Greg Kihn what do you gotta say to THAT mom and dad?? And guess what -- I DONT EVEN SMOKE!" - the gooniest rebel

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

My mom absolutely hated Radiohead and thought they were going to make me kill myself.

Joke's on her, it was the childhood abuse and gender dysphoria that made me want to kill myself.

Radiohead and The Smashing Pumpkins are to my adult self as MCR was to adolescent me. I don't understand why they're so boomer-maligned.

And like, yeah, Radiohead has some crushingly depressing songs, but it's not pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic.

Neito posted:

I never really got how Thom Yorke and Radiohead got labeled as Dark and Brooding. Like, unless I'm just being ignorant, even poo poo like Optimistic was more wistful centrism than "Man, life really sucks", and Creep is more self-effacing than depressing.

And then there's my childhood there. I was ALL ABOUT Van Halen and Queen until I got into stuff like MCR in middle school.

I was so stuffy about genres and poo poo but I've branched out so much since college and I can find things I like in pretty much every genre except country, which makes me ill.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I never really paid too much attention to whatever Thom is warbling about, they just sound cool.

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Framboise posted:

I had to return the first CD I ever bought with my own money when my parents listened to it: Rage Against the Machine's The Battle of Los Angeles. Until that point, I listened to whatever they did when they were driving (NPR, classical) and Radio AAHS.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my baseball coach confiscated my Fear of a Black Planet tape. fucker

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grape posted:

I never really paid too much attention to whatever Thom is warbling about, they just sound cool.
It's never even that bad, just general warbling about feeling alienated and out of step.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m in Vegas for work and you know what boomers like?

loving slot machines. Morning, noon and night.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m in Vegas for work and you know what boomers like?

loving slot machines. Morning, noon and night.

My silent gen grandma owned a Super Nintendo and played exactly one game constantly: Vegas Stakes.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Animated Nerd posted:

Boomers love to complain about cancel culture, how "no one can take a joke anymore", and "what ever happened to sticks and stones?" If you counter that maybe tolerating awful speech and actions is a bad thing, they will tell you to "just wait until it happens to YOU then we will see how you like it."

It's like the same argument weirdo MRA types use for why you can't trust women because they'll accuse you of rape at anytime!!! But maybe don't get into situations where you rape and sexual assault people? It's not too challenging and maybe you won't get accused of rape if you don't rape.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's like the same argument weirdo MRA types use for why you can't trust women because they'll accuse you of rape at anytime!!! But maybe don't get into situations where you rape and sexual assault people? It's not too challenging and maybe you won't get accused of rape if you don't rape.

Or the bullshit “Falwell” rule where you can’t be alone in a room with a woman “to protect their reputation and yours”.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Solkanar512 posted:

Or the bullshit “Falwell” rule where you can’t be alone in a room with a woman “to protect their reputation and yours”.

This comes straight from a place where Boomer men literally can't interact with women without there being a sexual element.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

boar guy posted:

my baseball coach confiscated my Fear of a Black Planet tape. fucker

Welcome To The Astrodome

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grape posted:

This comes straight from a place where Boomer men literally can't interact with women without there being a sexual element.
Really, any guys who failed to be properly socialized around ladies. My dudes quit making your libido their problem.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Chuds are really good at telling on themselves.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I had boomer parents and I miss them dearly. They were assholes yes but at least I didnt survive as an rear end in a top hat.

Mom is still alive thankfully and she loves me to death. She absolutely loves the OK boomer meme

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mom died a while ago and Dad is going on 62 now, but his entire life was spent as a hard laborer biker dude who now just chills on weed all day and gave up on Fox News, so he's always been pretty cool and not a card-carrying boomer shitbrain who hates his children, despite his untreated trauma causing him and us a lot of grief throughout the years

I got loving lucky, when I look at literally every other member of my extended family, who are horrifically greedy backstabbing psuedohumans with glassy-eye smiles that mask neverending hate

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Things my dad did as a boomer to discipline me growing up. I got a couple of these stories so I don't mind sharing.

I was about 10 / 11 and I remember getting so mad at a game I threw the controller down in anger. My father comes in, snatches the controller from the ground and breaks it in front of my eyes. I had to pick up every single fragment of shard broken because of my father found one I would have been beaten. He came back in my room an hour later to examine and found nothing. Told me I was working with him in the morning to pay off the controller. When I worked for two days I got a new one but was immediately shattered again in front of my eyes yet again. "Now buy your own."

He basically taught me not to be mad at videogames and treat it as it only is. A loving videogame. I can be happy, sad, but angry enough to be an idiot and break a controller? That is childish. And it will cost money.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Katamari Democracy posted:

He basically taught me not to be mad at videogames and treat it as it only is. A loving videogame. I can be happy, sad, but angry enough to be an idiot and break a controller? That is childish. And it will cost money.

Wait, are you defending him here? Because he’s a loving psycho

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

irpoweroutlet posted:

Wait, are you defending him here? Because he’s a loving psycho

Defending him on his choice of discipline? No. Defending him for being my dad? Yes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a lot to unpack there and I for one am not gonna touch any of it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Things my dad did as a boomer to discipline me growing up. I got a couple of these stories so I don't mind sharing.

I was about 10 / 11 and I remember getting so mad at a game I threw the controller down in anger. My father comes in, snatches the controller from the ground and breaks it in front of my eyes. I had to pick up every single fragment of shard broken because of my father found one I would have been beaten. He came back in my room an hour later to examine and found nothing. Told me I was working with him in the morning to pay off the controller. When I worked for two days I got a new one but was immediately shattered again in front of my eyes yet again. "Now buy your own."

wow what a valuable lesson
#blessed

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

*what*

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My dad just did normal things like shake me over the bannister over a 10 ft drop onto the stairs below

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I feel like the only poster here who likes their parents.

Also: That one story there. :stare: