Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Because they don’t know how to book a face “king” despite the idea behind the tournament supposedly being “who’s the best wrestler in the company who isn’t already a champ?”

Oh I thought the winner just received a stupid new gimmick and faces weren't dumb enough to fall for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Edge & Christian posted:

I think the only babyface that won King of the Ring after it became a televised/PPV event instead of a special house show was Bret Hart in the first KoTR, and that was mostly to set up a feud with Jerry "The King" Lawler.

Given that Vince introduced the "King" gimmick as a rib on Harley Race (who was portrayed as a self-important buffoonish heel) and also brought in Lawler in a similar role to feud with Bret Hart, there's probably some Vince pathology about how kings think they're so much better than everyone and need to be taken down a peg, which led to the next fourteen Kings of the Ring being deluded heels.

Actually I guess Ken Shamrock was a babyface (based on him beating Jarrett and then Nation-era Rock in the tournament) when he won KOTR 1998, but that was at the height of Vince Russo influenced Crash TV and maybe they gave it to Shamrock instead of Rocky to swerve the fans. I know that within a couple of months they were teasing the Rock turning face prior to the Survivor Series Screwjob and Shamrock ended up in the Corporation by then too.

Edge was a face when he won it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khdezq1z1Mc

Was this scripted? Or did Vince McMahon actually allow Daniel Bryan to come up with his own promo? I ask because as we all know, Vince hates the term "professional wrestling".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bryan is one of the people that's a big enough star that he'll have some leeway to improv.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Bryan is one of the people that's a big enough star that he'll have some leeway to improv.

Oh I get that, and I also get that WWE are so scared of him leaving that they'll let him get away with pretty much anything, but allowing him to say one of Vince's most hated terms?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Was this scripted? Or did Vince McMahon actually allow Daniel Bryan to come up with his own promo? I ask because as we all know, Vince hates the term "professional wrestling".

A tiny handful get creative control over most of their promos, Bryan and I think Bray being the obvious ones

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

Oh I get that, and I also get that WWE are so scared of him leaving that they'll let him get away with pretty much anything, but allowing him to say one of Vince's most hated terms?
there seems to be an understanding even in Vince's rotting brain that some people can say "wrestling" and it'll pop the fans big

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Double-post, but what the gently caress? Taker gives Triple H a stinger with the Tombstone, so everybody else is now prohibited from doing piledrivers...except Taker. And Kane.

Dredging this back up, but didn't the ban directly precede Taker moving to the last ride and Kane mostly just chokeslamming people?

I could be wrong as I'm dumb as gently caress and have forgotten more important stuff from two decades ago

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

fatherofmustard posted:

Edge was a face when he won it.
Can't believe I forgot that of all of the Kings of Rings. Egg on my face. I Billy Gunned that post.

So three out of fifteen have been babyfaces.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

A tiny handful get creative control over most of their promos, Bryan and I think Bray being the obvious ones

Cue flashback to Twitter morons and Vince (via Cole) ranting about Bryan's lack of charisma and promo ability.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think Edge was a babyface when he won it. And Billy Gunn too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What is Billy Gunn doing these days? I know he got fired from WWE a few years ago. I'd like to think he cries himself to sleep at night.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

What is Billy Gunn doing these days? I know he got fired from WWE a few years ago. I'd like to think he cries himself to sleep at night.

Had a match with Tanahashi, is now a producer for AEW.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If that's a real question he works for AEW as a producer.

If it's not, he still works for AEW as a producer I guess. His employment status isn't really contingent on your sincerity.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wrestled on the Double or Nothing preshow, too

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Davros1 posted:

I think Edge was a babyface when he won it. And Billy Gunn too.
My Edge mistake was already addressed, Billy Gunn was absolutely a heel, he was on the "evil DX" side with HHH/Chyna while the "good DX" side was X-Pac/Road Dogg/Kane kind of. He used various heel tactics to beat Ken Shamrock, Kane, and X-Pac to win the tournament.

His KOTR win was to set up a feud/Summerslam match with the Rock (which was the stealth introduction of Kiss My rear end stipulations before Vince got in on it), in which the Rock annihilated him on promos and he never recovered.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I hope he's doing good work for AEW. I just never liked the loving guy.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Splitting hairs, but I think Edge was technically a popular heel when he won KOTR but was a full fledged face within a few weeks of winning it anyway.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

reality_groove posted:

Splitting hairs, but I think Edge was technically a popular heel when he won KOTR but was a full fledged face within a few weeks of winning it anyway.

His acceptance speech where he annihilated what was left of Billy Gunn's credibility turned him face

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Does anyone have a link to the "that escalated quickly" Gary Albright promo? Real heads know the one.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

His acceptance speech where he annihilated what was left of Billy Gunn's credibility turned him face

But even then, they had Christian doing the standard heel King routine behind Edge’s back so like with Bret, they had a pre-planned angle where they could use the king gimmick without it coming off dickish.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I still laugh at, "Billy Bitch Cakes"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I still laugh at, "Billy Bitch Cakes"

It essentially became his name on the internet for a while

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.
Is tiger mask w worth watching? It's on tubi and I've been considering giving it a go. I love NJPW and watch quite a bit of it. I lke some anime(tokyo ghoul, cowboy bebop, some miyazaki and a few others) but I'm not too versed in it. I'm not really sure how much of tiger mask w is about actual pro wrestling or if the characters are more fantastical or what

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It treats wrestling as if it's a shoot and the plot is silly in places but it's pretty good and the animation ranges from okay to good to great (like all Toei Productions hi Precure/DBZ/Sailor Moon). Also it ends with Tiger Mask facing Kota Ibushi in a gym with Kota voicing Kota which is amazing as Ibushi was the one who wrestled as Tiger Mask X

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What's the longest anyone has kept someone in a submission hold during a match?

I seem to remember Shawn Michaels being in the ankle lock for like an hour and a half once.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Triple H was in the gogoplata for about a week at the end of his WM27 match

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bret spent what seemed like an eternity in Backlund's chickenwing before Owen threw in the towel during Survivor Series 94.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What's the longest anyone has kept someone in a submission hold during a match?

I seem to remember Shawn Michaels being in the ankle lock for like an hour and a half once.

I remember someone being in Yoshi-Hashi's Butterfly Lock for what felt like the full 30 minutes during last year's G1. Pretty sure whoever it was won that match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Triple H was in the gogoplata for about a week at the end of his WM27 match

He took forever to tap out to crossface at WM 20, too.

That invisible wrestler really needs to tighten up his poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

E: needlessly tasteless

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Suzuki had Tanahashi in a kneebar for like 6 minutes when he won the IWGP IC title.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Suzuki had Tanahashi in a kneebar for like 6 minutes when he won the IWGP IC title.

I think you will find it was closer to 9999 years. At least it felt like it. (That match is honestly one of my favorite matches of all time)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

jesus WEP posted:

E: needlessly tasteless
I can guess what was in here, but I'm a little surprised the associated phrase barely shows up on twitter

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I hope Bryan has Wyatt in the Yes Lock for 20 minutes before passing out himself from the strain of keeping the hold.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

if memory serves this promo also wasn't in the ring on TV or during a PPV, it was build-up to the PPV, and you can definitely tell "things Vince cares about" and "things Vince doesn't care about" by seeing where people go off-script or improvise the promos. It's the reason a lot of the YouTube series over the past decade or so were entertaining (even with guys like JBL and Cole it was passably fun) and why everything in the ring and on TV...isn't.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of which, how they hell have they not revisited the WWE Warehouse idea? Sure, don't have Joey Styles host it, but they have that gigantic warehouse with all sorts of cool stuff. That could easily be a fifteen minute show here and there. poo poo, I was excited just to see the blimps that used to float around arenas in the late 90s.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Speaking of which, how they hell have they not revisited the WWE Warehouse idea? Sure, don't have Joey Styles host it, but they have that gigantic warehouse with all sorts of cool stuff. That could easily be a fifteen minute show here and there. poo poo, I was excited just to see the blimps that used to float around arenas in the late 90s.

Let Zack Ryder host it, seems extremely up his alley

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What happens if you cash in Money in the Bank when the title is vacant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

logical answer: you become interim champion

real answer: shut up don't worry about it