Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Making an all-bean chili later today, pretty excited.

I did that a few weeks ago and I spent the entire time eating it thinking it would be have been way better with beef in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Glumslinger posted:

I did that a few weeks ago and I spent the entire time eating it thinking it would be have been way better with beef in it

you goofed then

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What kinda beans are you using?

Light kidney, dark kidney, black, pinto and garbanzo.

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought about this up front and cooked up some bacon to use to fry my onions, and cut up the bacon to put in the chili. Gave it some Worcestershire sauce, some chipotles in adobo, a can of tomatoes and a few Bud heavies and it turned out really nice.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

Main reason I want to get rid of it is because of texture. Sounds like I should just buy a different brand because yes I too am lazy

Have you eaten anything cooked with the seeds in, or are you just anticipating textural issues? It may not be as intrusive as you expect.

I cook pretty regularly with various brands of seed-in chipotles. I typically just dice up the peppers, seeds and all, then throw them in with the chili or taco meat or whatever. I've never found them to be detrimental in terms of the food coming off gritty or with hard bits.

Also I enjoy the spicy twist up on the old chili purity chat - is all meat chili racist? I never would have thought to inject that angle into the conversation.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 7, 2019

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Also I enjoy the spicy twist up on the old chili purity chat - is all meat chili racist? I never would have thought to inject that angle into the conversation.

Yes, actually. There has been gatekeeping about beans in chili for a while and usually from the same people who would call you a beaner. It isn't a coincidence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
ok boomerbeaner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yes, actually. There has been gatekeeping about beans in chili for a while and usually from the same people who would call you a beaner. It isn't a coincidence.
Can you shut up

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Can you shut up

What do you have against beans?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Can you shut up
funny, there's even less content in your posts vs tezcat's. maybe take your own advice and stop continuing derails tia

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

When I make chili I take a gently caress ton of fresh peppers, stem em, maybe rough chop, and put in a big rear end pot and kinda steam em in there. Then I put the smoked/dried peppers in there to reconstitute them in the fresh pepper water. Then it all gets blended together into a slurry before it goes into the chili pot. Anybody else do this? Because it's awesome. It was a great year for peppers in my garden and I did this more than a few times even if only to use up everything I had from the yard.

No bell peppers allowed. (or do use bell peppers. Who cares. You do you.)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

No bell peppers allowed. (or do use bell peppers. Who cares. You do you.)

To exclude beans stinks of tribalism, shunning the "other." Fear of the unknown might be simply ingrained in our hearts.

But this - this is brother against brother. Are bell peppers not capsicum annuum? Does brother turn on brother merely because of a mild sweetness of character? Surely you would not hesitate to put a hot paprika, child of the bell pepper, in your chili?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I just don't grow bell peppers in my garden, dude

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

as long as they're not green(aka unripe) bell peppers vov

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

litany of gulps posted:

To exclude beans stinks of tribalism, shunning the "other." Fear of the unknown might be simply ingrained in our hearts.

But this - this is brother against brother. Are bell peppers not capsicum annuum? Does brother turn on brother merely because of a mild sweetness of character? Surely you would not hesitate to put a hot paprika, child of the bell pepper, in your chili?

I wouldn't put red delicious apples in apple pie, is there something wrong with that? Bell peppers have their uses, but green ones are 100% useless for chili, and the standard sweet ones are bland. Hot Italian or Hungarian peppers and heirloom sweet peppers have plenty of flavor but I don't think they taste right in chili - at least they would be better than freaking bell peppers. There are actual Mexican/American chiles that have sweetness and they have the right chile flavors too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
^^ dude thats racist

seriously though a regular american supermarket bell pepper is just going to get lost in a decent chili. If you're making a midwest 1 hour ground beef soupy 'chili' then maybe, but not a 3+ hour deep rich competition-winning chili.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 12, 2019

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You can blacken and peel the skin and use them instead of tomatoes.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You can blacken and peel the skin and use them instead of tomatoes.

They called me a conspiracy theorist, words dripping with contempt, when I tried to explain to them that these SJW's were trying to genocide the tomatoes, to replace them slowly and subtly until nothing remained but beans and peppers. I've been called a kook, a loon, a tomato supremacist, but look at how bold they grow!

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Don't forget the carrots!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

marshalljim posted:

Don't forget the carrots!

Yeah the sugars and starches add a lot of depth to stews. You weirdo.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Let's resolve this chili purity issue once and for all and simply rename this the slumgullion thread.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
does anyone know what twain considered chili

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Ranter posted:

does anyone know what twain considered chili

Mark Twain's Mississippi River Chili recipe posted:

INGREDIENTS

4 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chile powder, or to taste
1 ½ cups canned tomatoes, cut up
2 to 6 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
Salt to taste

PREPARATION

Cook the meat, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat, mirepoix style, until lightly browned. Stir in the oregano, cumin, chile powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, salt and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, skimming off the fat as it cooks.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

That doesn't seem offensively bad, just very uninspired and boring.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lentils are great in a chilli

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Kind of a lot of meat for the ingredients, isn't it?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Don’t know why Mark Twain didn’t stop by the Mexican grocery and get some real chili peppers. Or beans.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I mean, Mark Twain was probably a racist for eating all meat chili, but that recipe is actually word for word Lady Bird Johnson's Texas chili recipe.

http://www.lbjlibrary.net/collections/quick-facts/lady-bird-johnson-recipes.html

Edit: Sorry, word for word with a single number changed.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

litany of gulps posted:

I mean, Mark Twain was probably a racist for eating all meat chili, but that recipe is actually word for word Lady Bird Johnson's Texas chili recipe.

http://www.lbjlibrary.net/collections/quick-facts/lady-bird-johnson-recipes.html

Edit: Sorry, word for word with a single number changed.

Still uninspired. Make a tarka to add some flavor.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Don’t know why Mark Twain didn’t stop by the Mexican grocery and get some real chili peppers. Or beans.

He was busy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIxSwvmWVM

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Still uninspired. Make a tarka to add some flavor.

Are y'all not sauteeing spices either?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Saute your spices? gently caress no.

I put my spices in an offset smoker for 12 hours before grinding them and putting them in. I don't know what you're doin', but it ain't chili

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

I put my spices in an offset smoker for 12 hours before grinding them and putting them in. I don't know what you're doin', but it ain't chili

I actually do that though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Rotten Cookies posted:

whats wrong with saute/temper/tarka?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ranter posted:

whats wrong with saute/temper/tarka?

Or toasting them or other methods.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Or toasting them or other methods.

I'm tempted to troll your chili posting further, but a moment of seriousness. Saute or toast your spices - OK. If I'm making some cabbage or something that's going to cook for a relatively brief time, it makes sense to infuse the cooking oil with the oils from the sauted or toasted spices just prior to cooking.

Most chili recipes call for long, low temperature cook times. What exactly is the benefit of making a tarka with your chili spices prior to cooking it for 2 hours in liquid? In any normal chili preparation, the flavor of the spices is going to infuse the entire dish regardless of a pre-cook saute or toast.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Because boiling doesn't do the same thing as sauteeing or smoking. It isn't about getting the flavor in the dish it's about improving the flavor of the spices being used.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

I'm tempted to troll your chili posting further, but a moment of seriousness. Saute or toast your spices - OK. If I'm making some cabbage or something that's going to cook for a relatively brief time, it makes sense to infuse the cooking oil with the oils from the sauted or toasted spices just prior to cooking.

Most chili recipes call for long, low temperature cook times. What exactly is the benefit of making a tarka with your chili spices prior to cooking it for 2 hours in liquid? In any normal chili preparation, the flavor of the spices is going to infuse the entire dish regardless of a pre-cook saute or toast.

The way you treat your spices affects what flavor they impart. Different aromatic compounds are expressed when you grind and add them to a stew than when you cook them in a tarka and add that to a stew. Cumin can be citrusy, musky, smoky, or nutty.

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/8-ways-to-extract-unique-flavors-from-whole-spices

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So you think that if you saute your spices for 30 seconds or whatever prior to cooking them in your chili for two hours you get some extra nutty aroma. Right. As I said, in a short time prep there's obviously reasons to prepare the spices in different ways. You're gonna tell me here that toasting your spices prior to a long duration boil in a bunch of fat and other spices is going to impart some noticeably different flavor? I mean, splendidtable.org is some strong proof backup for your claims, but...

Getting some nutty aroma right here from these hot takes!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

So you think that if you saute your spices for 30 seconds or whatever prior to cooking them in your chili for two hours you get some extra nutty aroma. Right. As I said, in a short time prep there's obviously reasons to prepare the spices in different ways. You're gonna tell me here that toasting your spices prior to a long duration boil in a bunch of fat and other spices is going to impart some noticeably different flavor? I mean, splendidtable.org is some strong proof backup for your claims, but...

the flavor of spices lasts longer in oil, did you want a fresh shovel for the well you're currently digging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

You're saying you don't know how to cook and you're a proud of it in a really strange way.