Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Shuffle wand, 5x rapid fire sawblade launcher with chance of 4x split, always casts Fireball Thrower

Non-shuffle, casts 6 spells at once, 4x spreadshot, electric beam between projectiles, explosive projectiles (Electric beam also adds a small explosion amount)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Songbearer posted:

Shuffle wand, 5x rapid fire sawblade launcher with chance of 4x split, always casts Fireball Thrower

Non-shuffle, casts 6 spells at once, 4x spreadshot, electric beam between projectiles, explosive projectiles (Electric beam also adds a small explosion amount)

I cannot wait to find out which one kills you first

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Snake Maze posted:

If you avoid leaving "properly" and causing the cave-in, this also means the wand editing effect stays active in the room, so you can backtrack if you need to change something.
A great tip for when you have already angered the gods anyway, because that can't be done without doing so.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Every time I find a lightning bolt wand on the 2nd level I'm all yeah! this is the run! Then I promptly explode my own face off :cripes:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Ok so how about this wand:

I've circled the part I'm not sure about. Always casts... explosion of sulphur I think, with... a drop of... slime? Not sure how that works

Also, what will happen if I put one of the trigger or timer spells on that wand and then use it? Will the "always casts" effect happen only after the regular spell, i.e. after the timer or trigger? I would hope that's how it works, since otherwise a wand like that will blow up your face every time :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It means "Cast explosion on enemies that are slimed." It's a projectile modifier and as such ought to affect every spell you cast with it whenever it impacts a valid target, which is to say enemies under Slime status effect.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Ahh that makes sense, thanks!

(Would have preferred "always casts explosion, after trigger/timer, regardless of slimeness of enemy" though heh)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I found an 'always cast boomerang' wand with shuffle earlier. It had toxic mist on it. Want to guess what happened when I test fired it? I never ran for a portal so fast in my loving life.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's one of the more situational effects and On Slimed is the least useful of these, in my opinion, except maybe if you can pick up a Slime Cloud projectile modifier somewhere. There are variations on that effect for wet, oily, poisoned (I think) etc. though, some of which can be very useful with the right combination of perks and spells. There are a lot of ways to efficiently drown whole map sections and a way to make everything in there go boom at the slightest poke isn't a bad deal, if you can manage to pick up that infinite breathing perk.

And maybe Explosion Immune, but, you know, you pretty much always want that anyway whenever you can get it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Explosion on status effect is one part of a homing deathcloud wand. If you can put one together it'll carry you through most of the game easily.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I had a pretty boss wand the other day. Explosion on slime, slime cloud and double cast death cross with gunpowder trail. I of course totally loving beansed it but it ripped poo poo apart.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can actually put a damage+ or heavy shot on a cloud, or even the horizontal shot one, and it will do the bonus damage on every frame to monsters it touches. Pretty ridiculous, really.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I of course totally loving beansed it but it ripped poo poo apart.

noita.txt

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sometimes I feel like the one thing Noita really needs is a roguelike-style YASD screen that shows your end stats, monsters killed, and what it was that eventually murdered you in pithy and vaguely sarcastic manner. It already has the "holky gently caress I am totally tearing poo poo up" to "...goddamn it!" type of gameplay down pat, after all.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Noita: Complacency leads to death, but man you'll die gloriously

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I made a wand once that was a standard "spark bolt with trigger into lots of explosions", but my source of explosions was a bunch of unstable crystals, which are limited to 20 shots per spell per level. So I filled in the extra slots on the wand with more ammo, like spark bolt -> triple cast -> unstable crystal x6. I figured that as long as I swapped between wands after every shot to reset the wand to the top of the list, it'd be fine.

I shot it once and it blew up in my face. Turns out the wand had a built-in doublecast, so it was tossing out a crystal directly on top of the spark bolt, the crystal would explode and trigger the spark bolt to create three more crystals, and then those crystals would explode too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

rchandra posted:

Just cleared Jungle/Fungal Caverns and have made a new heavier-hitter - magic bolt trigger into 2x Giga Death Cross, I assume that will just kill me the first time I use it. Bedtime now though, so I also get to test the save/quit.

Save/quit works. The bigger problem was a) edit wands everywhere and using it when the area wasn't clear; b) not really having the instincts back after the break, especially with how each wand works.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
What's the point of Summon Hollow Egg? Does a bit of damage, then triggers another thing? But it has limited charges so hm. Seems a bit meh?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Had a pretty good run, found a Heavy Shot modifier and plenty of trigger spells and stuff, put together a simple wand with just spark bolt with trigger + lightning bolt, that's such a good combo. Tried more stuff on the lightning bolt wand but it wasn't worth the mana cost. Spark bolt costs almost nothing and is quite accurate. I also had just "Acid" but never dared to try it... with spark bolt trigger it might have been safe enough but I dunno.

In the ice caves I took a bunch of damage from the hiisi guys, almost died, down to 8 hp I proceeded to kill like a dozen more enemies without taking any damage, exit was in sight... and then a rat that I didn't notice bit me once. :v:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I made a wand once that was a standard "spark bolt with trigger into lots of explosions", but my source of explosions was a bunch of unstable crystals, which are limited to 20 shots per spell per level. So I filled in the extra slots on the wand with more ammo, like spark bolt -> triple cast -> unstable crystal x6. I figured that as long as I swapped between wands after every shot to reset the wand to the top of the list, it'd be fine.

I shot it once and it blew up in my face. Turns out the wand had a built-in doublecast, so it was tossing out a crystal directly on top of the spark bolt, the crystal would explode and trigger the spark bolt to create three more crystals, and then those crystals would explode too.

Well somehow I skimmed over the part where you said you did what I was on about.

Switch resetting is a good way to use a single speed boost mod on a wand full of black holes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

jaete posted:

I also had just "Acid" but never dared to try it... with spark bolt trigger it might have been safe enough but I dunno.
Was it just a single green circle? If so, that particular spell creates exactly one pixel of acid on a small arc away from you. :v:

It takes a bit of combining with cast/charge speed increasing spells to get any real use out of that, yeah.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Was it just a single green circle? If so, that particular spell creates exactly one pixel of acid on a small arc away from you. :v:

It takes a bit of combining with cast/charge speed increasing spells to get any real use out of that, yeah.

Or you just put it on the starting bomb wand.

(be very careful where you point that wand.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The "Water" spell at least improves either your cast time or recharge rate, I forget which, so it's worth tossing onto a wand if you have a spare slot. I bet the Acid spell is similar. I also bet that if you touch that single pixel you'll take like 20 damage.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Acid spell is weird and I'm not sure it is capable of doing direct damage until it actually hits a surface and becomes "proper" environmental acid, but don't quote me on that. I just know I've had a bitch of a time actually damaging any enemies with it, except incidentally.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

bloom posted:

Plague rats and a pool of chaotic polymorphine sure is something

https://i.imgur.com/7EoaDrY.mp4

just crashed the game with that. enemy-spawning enemies fighting infinite rats over a pool of chaotic poly

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Urrgh had my best run yet only to get hosed by running out of water

My main wand was a 6x Glowing Lance with +Crit and Necromancy and gently caress me if that thing doesn't murder everything. You can plow it through walls murdering everything safely and with Plauge Rats and Necromancy it kept generating more targets for enemies to get caught up on, and if they died it gave me more gold. If I had fire resist I'd have been golden.

I've wanted to try to beat the game without mods but now I'm extremely tempted to try the respawn mod because I hate getting this far and facing the inevitability of dying before I can really explore past what I'm used to seeing :smith:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 17, 2019

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

A great tip for when you have already angered the gods anyway, because that can't be done without doing so.

You can absolutely go in and out of holy temples without triggering the collapse or angering the gods, you just need to use a teleport spell to skip over the line trigger that causes it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Darox posted:

You can absolutely go in and out of holy temples without triggering the collapse or angering the gods, you just need to use a teleport spell to skip over the line trigger that causes it.

:monocle: goddamn, why didn't I ever think of that?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I just chaotic polymorphine myself after the perk pick.

Mind you I've never actually come back from those Holy Mountain areas that I "skipped" but I still keep an eye out for those flasks.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
This is an amazing game that I am terrible at.
My most successful run so far I found a want with like sixteen charges of black hole, used it to break into the pyramid and somehow lucked into killing some sort of bossmob that dropped this:

I hadn't seen a wand with anything more than six slots at that point so I was pretty stoked, but I eventually died to something or other. My furthest run I picked up teleportitis early on, after which I almost immediately fell into some acid and then teleported approximately 60 times before i managed to douse myself and ended up on level 7 or something where even rampant blinking couldn't save me from the monsters. Good times.

I never seem to get far enough to build any interesting wands myself though, the most impressive I've managed was a gunpowder burning trail spark wand that was basically a sparkler and about as effective. Pretty though!
Anyway; anyone have any early-game tips aside from putting a spark in the bombwand?

Either way, looking forward to dying a hundred more times as i figure this out!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Darox posted:

Huh. I was under the impression that the collapsing ceiling is triggered by picking up your perk for that area, but I suppose this would make more sense.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I made a wand with always cast matter Eater, longer duration, triple cast bouncing balls with a super quick re-charge rate and turned the game into downwell. Too bad I didn’t have any good wands to pair it with, I was on the run after accidentally melting the Hiisi base holy temple after one test fire way above it and didn’t get any other perks or wands after that. Managed to get to some place called The Work underneath a bunch of lava before a bunch of big floaty boys who didn’t take kindly to me deleting the world finally shot me down.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I was exploring the magic temple feeling like I was on top of things. Then a ghost grabbed an earthquake wand and dropped the entire loving place on my head.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Darox posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake

I was wondering how people could explore so freely, why did I always throw away teleport wands?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's really also because the game map is one contiguous place and there are other ways you can shortcut up or down through the layers, some of them pre-made and in the game by default. For example, there's one huge cliff off the side of the first zone where you can just jump down and end up right in the ice caves, or the other way around of course. It's doable even with no specialized spells, just a bit more time-consuming.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Anyway; anyone have any early-game tips aside from putting a spark in the bombwand?

The basic one is to find a non-shuffled wand and put Spark Bolt (or Magic Arrow) With Trigger -> some kind of multicast -> a bunch of basic projectiles. Shoot an enemy with it and the trigger will spawn the basic projectiles on top of the enemy, dealing a bunch of extra damage. You can also put projectile modifiers before the multicast and they'll apply to all of the spells the multicast fires. Something like "Spark Bolt With Trigger -> Damage Plus -> Critical Plus -> Triplecast -> Energy Orb x3" can easily carry you through the game. This is also a fairly safe way to make use of the Summon Disc spell, so long as the multicast you use doesn't launch anything backwards. Just be aware that if you miss your target and hit terrain, the discs will bounce back immediately, so it's not completely safe.

The main difficulty with this, typically, is finding both a nonshuffled wand with 6+ capacity and decent accuracy, and the trigger spell. Everything else tends to be reliably available. If you head all the way left in the Coal Pits, you'll find the Fungal Caverns; they're hideously dangerous, but have lots of wands that tend to have good stats and useful spells.

Another game-winning wand is Homing Shot (either the spell on the wand, or the perk) -> Explodes on (stained) Enemy -> (relevant liquid) Mist. For example, Explodes on Drunk Enemy -> Mist of Spirits. Or Explodes on Slimed Enemy -> Slime Mist. What this does is create a mobile cloud that seeks out enemies, hovers on top of them, and repeatedly explodes. You can amplify it by putting more projectile modifiers before the mist, but it's really not necessary.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

The fungal caves is really just wall to wall bastards.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Been a while since I had such a great run. Found tons of wands with chainsaws, recharge modifiers and more mana modifiers, made a wand that shot those triple bullets infinitely and as fast as the game could handle, plus some damage/critical modifiers = Shower of Death. For some reason the game chugged something fierce in the snow biome the whole way through, but before and after it was a-ok.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The fungal caves is really just wall to wall bastards.

gently caress those tiny little levitating frog mushrooms! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the risk/reward of fungal caves is extremely good and fun, it's always exciting to try to venture in far enough to grab what you can while trying to avoid the extreme danger