Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The other one I'd look at is the Acer XF270HU, Microcenter has been running them for $300 for a while which is a screaming deal, and it's one of the better FreeSync implementations. In-store only, but maybe you got lucky and have one near you.

That price is hard to ignore. They also have, according to the site, 10+ of them available at a store 15 miles away from me.

Since I'm kinda making myself wait until the semester is over, I'll just be feverishly checking prices for the next couple of weeks. It seems like I've got a few good choices (the high-end $500 LG and this $300 Acer steal, among others) that might go on sale later in the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Newegg also has the 3418DW for $650 at the moment, brand new.

Older screen, and 'only' 120Hz, but still a lot of screen real estate for the money.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Newegg also has the 3418DW for $650 at the moment, brand new.

Older screen, and 'only' 120Hz, but still a lot of screen real estate for the money.

Any particular reason why the only >27" IPS monitors at 1440P are ultrawides? I'm a little scared off by the nonstandard aspect ratio and the extra pixels I'd need to be powering. Any reason to believe someone will make a 32" IPS in the near future? Seems like they're getting the response time down, so they're working out at least some kinks in the tech.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
27" is a pretty drat big monitor. I personally think 32" is about the optimal size for 4k, but even at 4k we're seeing most development happen at 27".

At 1440p I would not expect to see worthwhile panels (for gaming) at anything other than 27".

The actual response times on the panels have not come significantly down in the 4+ years since AUO put out the first 27" 144hz IPS panels. You're just seeing more manufacturers make ridiculous claims again. The LG panel in the 27GL850 averages about 5ms with overdrive, vs the 6ms with overdrive that the PG279Q/XB270HU hit 4.5 years ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Racing Stripe posted:

Any particular reason why the only >27" IPS monitors at 1440P are ultrawides? I'm a little scared off by the nonstandard aspect ratio and the extra pixels I'd need to be powering. Any reason to believe someone will make a 32" IPS in the near future? Seems like they're getting the response time down, so they're working out at least some kinks in the tech.

you can get 32" IPS but then they're not high-refresh. I haven't heard of any 32" high-refresh IPS coming down the pipe.

Generally the argument is that at normal desk distances 24" is optimal for competitive gaming because you don't have to turn your head to scan the screen. I generally think 27" and 34" ultrawide is fine, I don't really turn my head at all when gaming, but there isn't a ton of appetite for going bigger than that in the high-refresh monitor segment (the LG 38" ultrawide is currently the only thing that services this market and it's $1800).

oh yeah there's some VA monitors but the motion clarity means the refresh rate is pretty meaningless.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 13, 2019

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Okay, I just need to shake this idea that a bigger monitor will be better. I'm going from 1080P 60HZ VA to 1440P 144 HZ IPS with a much better GPU behind it. That ought to be a big enough upgrade for chrissakes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Racing Stripe posted:

Okay, I just need to shake this idea that a bigger monitor will be better. I'm going from 1080P 60HZ VA to 1440P 144 HZ IPS with a much better GPU behind it. That ought to be a big enough upgrade for chrissakes.

I went from 1200p to 1440p and I love the objectively small increase in additional vertical screen real estate. Going from 1080p to 1440p will be a nice quality of life upgrade, in addition to the higher refresh rate. Enjoy playing windowed games in 1200p and having screen space left over.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 13, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
For gaming, the 27" 1440p 144/165 Hz IPS monitors are the best all-rounders on the market. The only things worth considering from there are:

• 34" 144 Hz IPS ultrawide (~$650 on sale, LG 34GK950F)
  • 27" 4K144 IPS ($900 for a reputable brand)
  • 38" 175 Hz 1600p IPS ultrawide ($1800, LG 38GL950G)

If you want to spend a bit more the 34" IPS ultrawides are really nice, ultrawide is really immersive. The 38GL950G is even taller and possibly a bit better for 4K ultrawide video content, plus a little higher refresh rate, but is also a little harder to drive and vastly more expensive. The 4K144 panels are very hard to drive and no bigger, but you get a higher PPI ("retina").

Everything taller, you are giving up refresh rate. The LG 38GL950G is the only "gaming" monitor worth considering that's taller than a 27" monitor.

Like I said I think the 34" ultrawide is worth considering if you want something "better" but the 27" 1440p is what you want for a midrange build and the 34" is what you want for a high-end-but-not-stupid build. For $650 you will probably have to hunt sales for a bit but they do come around.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 13, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I'm not going to pretend 60hz is unusable (it's not) but the first time I sat down at a 144hz monitor and moved the mouse I knew I had to buy one. Nobody told me it was 144hz when I sat down, I just knew. It's really nice, and if you haven't had an IPS display before you're also in for a treat.

I have a 1440p TN next to a 1440p IPS next to each other at work and the difference in color quality is visible just from the windows login screen. 1080->1440 and TN->IPS are both really nice quality of life upgrades.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

repiv posted:

Nvidia doesn't support Freesync over HDMI and probably never will. There's two different protocols - Freesync over HDMI is an AMD proprietary extension on top of HDMI 2.0, which apparently works by jamming a DisplayPort signal down the HDMI cable, and HDMI 2.1 VRR which is part of the official HDMI 2.1 standard. Nvidia only supports the latter and only on Turing cards (including the 16xx ones).

I actually do want FreeSync cos a 1080 can’t quite squeak solid 60hz & 4K all the time. I guess I’ve gotta figure out switchresx or get used to plugging / unplugging cables until my MBP dies.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I’m upgrading to an RTX 2800 TI and need a new monitor to take advantage of that. It’s to my understanding that my options are a monitor that supports 4K, or a gsync monitor that supports 1440p at 144hz. I like the sound of the latter.

I can’t work with a dual monitor set up at the moment. Is there a particular monitor I should go for?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
if you have a microcenter near you just buy the Acer XF270HU for $299

otherwise look up the Nixeus EDG v2

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

You could drop down to an EVGA 2080 super for $720 instead of $1100 for a 2080ti and essentially get the monitor for free. And still pay for almost a full year of disney plus.

I say this as a 2080ti haver with the same type of monitor. But I got it second hand for way below retail because it has a terrible curse.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 14, 2019

rasputron
Oct 21, 2013

charity rereg posted:

You could drop down to an EVGA 2080 super for $720 instead of $1100 for a 2080ti and essentially get the monitor for free. And still pay for almost a full year of disney plus.

I say this as a 2080ti haver with the same type of monitor. But I got it second hand for way below retail because it has a terrible curse.

What is the terrible curse?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

rasputron posted:

What is the terrible curse?

It is this model with the stock cooler: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GV-N208TTURBO-11GC-GeForce-RTX2080Ti-DisplayPort/dp/B07L1P4KWQ/

That's its terrible curse. An idiot bought it for a project and ruined its returnability by using it, but the stock cooler was insufficient for their long term needs. The department that bought it allowed them to resell it to me for a song just to recoup some money back into the pizza fund rather than shelve it (which happens a lot, I'm wildly underpaid but it's a nice little perk) There aren't even any reviews of it online, because almost noone is stupid enough to buy a 2080ti with a single fan blower :gonk:

It is _incredibly_ loud, and if I didn't have a huge full ATX case that lets me play with airflow I'd worry about it cooling itself at all.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Have you considered popping an Accelero, Morpheus ii, or Kraken G12+H55 on there? They'd all be under $100 and hugely improve cooling!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 14, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Or go all Linus Tech Tips on it and put a full CPU tower on it, lol

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Stickman posted:

Have you considered popping an Accelero, Morpheus ii, or Kraken G12+H55 on there? They'd all be under $100 and hugely improve cooling!

Vaguely but I didn't realize it would be that cheap, which is why I didn't pass up the card when it was offered. Right now I'm just underclocking it a bit because it's wild and crazy overkill for my needs, and as (once again, I removed the useless GT 1030) the only card in my huge ATX case it does alright now. But holy hell it sounds like an actual jet engine. I sold my 1080 very quickly for cash and this card out of pocket was certainly not Smart With Money but wound up being cheap enough that I just treated myself.

I get 2 weeks off from Xmas->NYE (yay academia!) so this sounds like a fun little project and a perfect thing to ask for christmas.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 14, 2019

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
My friends looking for a 24" 144hz monitor for pretty much exclusively playing pubg. Is there a general consensus on which ones are good now?

I have no idea since I'm still using those old Asus vg248qe monitors

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Aver VG240Y pbiip is still the only 1080p 144hz IPS monitor as far as I know.

The real question is, why does he not want a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor? They're really the price/performance sweet spot these days, so it's always a good idea to look at them.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
He's cheap, that's about it. But.. those monitors on the past couple of pages seem nice for me. I didn't know how ugly my Asus looked until I saw some modern screens recently.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

charity rereg posted:

Vaguely but I didn't realize it would be that cheap, which is why I didn't pass up the card when it was offered. Right now I'm just underclocking it a bit because it's wild and crazy overkill for my needs, and as (once again, I removed the useless GT 1030) the only card in my huge ATX case it does alright now. But holy hell it sounds like an actual jet engine. I sold my 1080 very quickly for cash and this card out of pocket was certainly not Smart With Money but wound up being cheap enough that I just treated myself.

I get 2 weeks off from Xmas->NYE (yay academia!) so this sounds like a fun little project and a perfect thing to ask for christmas.

I personally did the G12+H55 combo on my 2070 Super and holy hell it is amazing

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Looking for a square screen, for machining. It must be perfectly square, so that the tool paths on the screen are also square. 1:1 or 2:2. 15" or smaller.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

What do you mean by tool paths being square? Virtually all screens have square pixels even though their aspect ratios are not square, because the resolution has the same aspect ratio as the physical display. Things are the right shape on them by default.

We're going to need more information to try to find you something. How do you intend to drive this display? What kind of resolution do you need? Is it going to be mounted on a machine? I doubt a normal display's cooling solution would allow it to stand up for long in a shop.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I feel like this is the sort of question you should be asking your machining supplies vendor instead of hoping for Secret Goon Insights and Deals.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I think my Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch monitor is dying after 7 years. Screen keeps turning on and off for a few seconds every few minutes. I'm going to unplug it over night to see if there's any change, but so far I've tried turning it off for 30 minutes and updating drivers.

Is there something close to a current day equivalent? I saw the Acer XF270HU 27 recommended a few times the past few pages, but that's a little more than I'd like to spend. Would like to keep it around $200 if possible.

As for what I use it for, it's apart of a dual display setup for my PC. The other display is a 4k Samsung TV that I primarily use for PC gaming, although I also did use my Ultrasharp occasionally when the text was too hard to read on the TV. The monitor was generally for internet browsing and whatnot. My PC has a i7-8700k and a GTX 1080ti.

Also is this a purchase I should wait to see what happens for cyber Monday?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can probably fix that yourself, sounds like bad capacitors in the power supply.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Speaking of the U2412M, mine is also giving out slowly from the looks of it. I have to have the brightness cranked to almost maximum to match my primary monitors 200 cd/m2 and I also have to dial the red channel down 20% and blue channel down over 30% or the screen is so blue tinted it melts your face off. My colorometer straight up can't get it to match the white point of the other display without horribly crushing the lighter grays, and even when it does say the white point is 6500k it looks obviously off/different from the other monitor. It isn't doing any flickering or blanking or other obvious power supply issues but do the WLED back lights in these things blue shift as they age or something? If the back light is delivering a crap spectrum the symptoms would make sense.

Oh well, I'm hoping to upgrade to dual 27" 1440p screens in the next year or so (waiting for a new wave of AUO panels to hit the market).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

I think my Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch monitor is dying after 7 years. Screen keeps turning on and off for a few seconds every few minutes. I'm going to unplug it over night to see if there's any change, but so far I've tried turning it off for 30 minutes and updating drivers.

Is there something close to a current day equivalent? I saw the Acer XF270HU 27 recommended a few times the past few pages, but that's a little more than I'd like to spend. Would like to keep it around $200 if possible.

As for what I use it for, it's apart of a dual display setup for my PC. The other display is a 4k Samsung TV that I primarily use for PC gaming, although I also did use my Ultrasharp occasionally when the text was too hard to read on the TV. The monitor was generally for internet browsing and whatnot. My PC has a i7-8700k and a GTX 1080ti.

As someone already mentioned, it's almost definitely a doable repair. The U2412M is common enough that you can probably even find extra help to remove most of the guesswork.
Most of the monitors we talk about are 27" 1440p 144hz IPS gaming monitors because they're by far the best value for playing games on. For your budget, there are a few options :

A cheap $100 1080p IPS display.
One of the new 24" 1080p 144hz IPS gaming monitors. These are right around $200, but they're honestly not a great deal compared to the 27" 1440p options.
A 60hz 1440p display. You can find some of these right around your budget, but they aren't a great value either.

Losing the 120 vertical pixels from 1200p to 1080p kinda sucks, but the way the monitor market is there aren't a lot of worthwhile options above 1080p until your budget gets higher. Given your relatively high end PC, and depending on what kind of games you play, it does seem like you are budgeting for a below-par monitor. That said, there are typically some crazy monitor sales and who knows what will pop up between now and new years.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...=BI%3A514&smp=y

The U2415 has been on sale recently for $199.

As far as I understand, it’s the same as the 2412M in terms of resolution and whatnot, just newer and thinner bezels.

thiazi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 17, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Monitors with a huge backlight degrade over time, they are (slow) consumables. I wouldn't put a lot of repair into a 7 year old monitor with dying backlight personally. I have two of those at work - one was purchased new and one was used and reclaimed and the difference between them is extremely noticeable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wibla posted:

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can probably fix that yourself, sounds like bad capacitors in the power supply.

Just because one *can* do a thing doesn't mean one *should*. :supaburn:

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

K8.0 posted:

What do you mean by tool paths being square? Virtually all screens have square pixels even though their aspect ratios are not square, because the resolution has the same aspect ratio as the physical display. Things are the right shape on them by default.

We're going to need more information to try to find you something. How do you intend to drive this display? What kind of resolution do you need? Is it going to be mounted on a machine? I doubt a normal display's cooling solution would allow it to stand up for long in a shop.

The machine runs LinuxCNC, so standard stuff. 120V/60Hz and DVI. It's mounted next to an A/C motor though, and its VFD, which both put out significant EMI, which I currently shield with copper braid. LinuxCNC is running on kernel 3.6.xx so supported resolutions are less than 4K. How do I check the squareness of the pixel elements? I called Toshiba, who a coworker told me makes the best screens, but they said they can old sell widescreens like 4:3 or 16:9.

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 17, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mofabio posted:

The machine runs LinuxCNC, so standard stuff. 120V/60Hz and DVI. It's mounted next to an A/C motor though, and its VFD, which both put out significant EMI, which I currently shield with copper braid. LinuxCNC is running on kernel 3.6.xx so supported resolutions are less than 4K. How do I check the squareness of the pixel elements? I called Toshiba, who a coworker told me makes the best screens, but they said they can old sell widescreens like 4:3 or 16:9.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding going on here. The size or shape of the screen has absolutely nothing to do with the shape of things displayed on it. If you draw 100x100 pixel rectangle it's going to look perfectly square on any monitor you show it on, regardless of how big it is or what the shape of the monitor is. A monitor with more pixels in one direction or another just gives you more area to draw on. You don't need a square piece of paper to draw square shapes, do you?

Non-square pixels was only really a thing on old SD televisions. It has never been a thing on computer monitors.

e: caveat: it is of course possible to go out of your way to build software that is dependent on screen aspect ratio, but if you do that the most common way is to design for a specific resolution. 1:1 is an extremely uncommon screen aspect ratio though so it'd be very weird to design for that.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 17, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just because one *can* do a thing doesn't mean one *should*. :supaburn:

If it works well otherwise, why not? :sun:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

v1ld posted:

It's been so good to work with that I'm holding out for the next gen of 3840x1600 ultra-wides to come out for the next monitor upgrade.

I would be grateful to hear more about the best upcoming monitor tech if anyone feels like sharing.

I’m in the market for a really good productivity monitor and just trying to figure out if waiting for something in particular is the best call. I haven’t followed the market for a while. Price is generally not a concern, within reason.

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 18, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Non-square pixels was only really a thing on old SD televisions. It has never been a thing on computer monitors.
Not never, 320x200 on a 4:3 display was once a common resolution for PC games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_13h

Though this is obviously a bit out of scope for the context of this thread :v:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Taima posted:

I would be grateful to hear more about the best upcoming monitor tech if anyone feels like sharing.

I’m in the market for a really good productivity monitor and just trying to figure out if waiting for something in particular is the best call. I haven’t followed the market for a while. Price is generally not a concern, within reason.

What kind of productivity? If you just want to blanket the world in spreadsheets or something there are enormous ultrawides that have recently started to become available - LG has some 32:9 monstrosities, for example.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

TheFluff posted:

What kind of productivity? If you just want to blanket the world in spreadsheets or something there are enormous ultrawides that have recently started to become available - LG has some 32:9 monstrosities, for example.

Mostly a lot of real estate along with resolution/image quality. Just want to make sure there isn’t something great on the horizon, where I’ll be kicking myself for not waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Llamadeus posted:

Not never, 320x200 on a 4:3 display was once a common resolution for PC games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_13h

Though this is obviously a bit out of scope for the context of this thread :v:
AFAIK the last time non-square pixels were relevant to anything close to the mainstream market was back in the mid '00s when for whatever reason plasma TV manufacturers had a thing for 1024x720 16:9 panels. Before that, the 4:3 CRTs that for whatever reason advertised 1280x1024 (5:4) instead of 1280x960.