Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My first that wasn't X-Men Adventures (the fox show from 92) was Uncanny 300. It had that silver cover! I was distressed to see Colossus as a bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My first was the one right after the original Secret Wars where Storm loses her powers to that gun Forge made.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This book. This right here was my first American comic book..

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm pretty sure my first one was X-Men 269 the one with Rogue battling a zombie-looking Carol Danvers. But it might have been one of the X-Men/FF crossover books, the one with Franklin crying on the cover. I have really distinct memories of those two, actually the FF/X-Men one I always found vaguely upsetting as a kid and when I reread that series in my 30's that emotional memory really felt fresh. So yeah, one of those two.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The first issue of X-Men I ever bought - not the first I read but the first I bought - was the one that had a crucified Wolverine hallucinating and being rescued by Jubilee

that was... a hell of a start

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
It might be either UXM #321, X-Men #41 or Cable #20. All right before the Age of Apocalypse. Otherwise, perhaps a reprint of UXM #199 (Rachel is on the cover). Not entirely sure about when I picked that one up. Trying to make any sense out of either of those with only the cartoon as background knowledge was...weird but fun.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The first superhero comics I ever read were several bankers' boxes of my dad's old comics which spanned roughly 1965-1974 so as a kid I never really understood why people thought the X-Men were cooler than the Fantastic Four/Avengers/Hulk/Dr. Strange/etc. etc. etc. and the only 1980s X-Books I ever bought were whatever New Mutants comics I thought looked cool because of Bill Sienkiewicz or Brett Blevins or eventually Rob Liefeld artwork. Later I started buying X-Factor back issues drawn by Simonson or Art Adams. I think the first issue of "X-Men" I paid money for was the one with the Jim Lee gatefold cover. Me and literally everyone else buying comics in 1991.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edge & Christian posted:

The first superhero comics I ever read were several bankers' boxes of my dad's old comics which spanned roughly 1965-1974 so as a kid I never really understood why people thought the X-Men were cooler than the Fantastic Four/Avengers/Hulk/Dr. Strange/etc. etc. etc. and the only 1980s X-Books I ever bought were whatever New Mutants comics I thought looked cool because of Bill Sienkiewicz or Brett Blevins or eventually Rob Liefeld artwork. Later I started buying X-Factor back issues drawn by Simonson or Art Adams. I think the first issue of "X-Men" I paid money for was the one with the Jim Lee gatefold cover. Me and literally everyone else buying comics in 1991.

the first superhero comics I can remember reading were an issue of Ghost Rider from the '70s that I remember nothing about except "that dude has a skull for a head and also the skull is on fire this is the greatest thing ever" and... Squadron Supreme #12, for some drat reason. I don't think I read issues 1-11 for another couple of years.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The first issue of X-Men I ever bought - not the first I read but the first I bought - was the one that had a crucified Wolverine hallucinating and being rescued by Jubilee

that was... a hell of a start

Still one of the best covers ever.

My brother started getting issues of Uncanny and New Mutants from the Osco in our tiny mall in 87 or 88. I don't remember which issue I read first but I do remember him not letting me read Inferno issues because demons or something.

First book I ever bought was Groo #33.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My dad bought me three comics one day because I really liked the X-Men cartoon and all the kids at school were into X-Men cards. He picked up Fantastic Four #400 (which was CHROMIUM HOLOFOIL HELL YEAH) and, of course, X-Man #3 and X-Universe #1. My introduction to X-Men comics, outside of what I could piece together from the cards (I thought Cameron Hodge was the coolest villain and Mother Askani was WAY more important) was smack dab in the middle of the Age of Apocalypse.

Looking it up that was May 1995, so I was 9 at the time? Oh man what was I even getting into?

After that my next comic book was the Marvel Holiday Special 1991 which loving owned because Santa kills the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My first X-Men comic was Uncanny #280. It was totally inscrutable and would have remained inscrutable even if I'd been able to read-- it was just something my brother or I had grabbed off the spinner at the grocery.

This was right around the time my parents noticed I was really having fun with comics and trying to puzzle out different words from them, and that they could be an ok aid in teaching basic reading skills, and my dad was still able to work at that time so afterwards he'd occasionally stop by a little comics/cards shop on his way home and grab whatever caught his eye to pass along. So, shortly after, my brother and I also each had our own copies of X-Men #1 because my dad thought the gatefold gimmick was the coolest thing ever.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Little Mac posted:

After that my next comic book was the Marvel Holiday Special 1991 which loving owned because Santa kills the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Oh poo poo, this just made me remember that Santa is a Mutant, not just a Mutant, but the most powerful one ever recorded. Where is Santa's workshop on Krakoa? I demand a Santa series.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
The first comic I ever bought was Uncanny X-Men #205, and I got it for a dime at a garage sale. I can't imagine a worse X-Men comic for an animated-series-loving-7-year-old. The story doesn't match the cover, the POV character was someone I'd never heard of (Katie Power), the artwork was barely legible (deliberately, the story took place during a blizzard), and the only X-Man in the book is Wolverine, and he's mostly out of costume. I was so turned off that I didn't touch another super hero comic again until I was 13.

Today it's one of my favorite issues of anything.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Minister of Sound posted:

The first comic I ever bought was Uncanny X-Men #205, and I got it for a dime at a garage sale. I can't imagine a worse X-Men comic for an animated-series-loving-7-year-old. The story doesn't match the cover, the POV character was someone I'd never heard of (Katie Power), the artwork was barely legible (deliberately, the story took place during a blizzard), and the only X-Man in the book is Wolverine, and he's mostly out of costume. I was so turned off that I didn't touch another super hero comic again until I was 13.

Today it's one of my favorite issues of anything.

Oh gently caress yeah the 2nd best X-Men book (after God Loves, Man Kills).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My first comic was the one where Wolverine and Ms Marvel break into the pentagon and fight rogue.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, we doing this? My first X-Men comic, also from someone who was super into the 90's TV show, turned out to be Uncanny #276 and, boy, was I super confused.

The X-Men are in space with a ton of weird alien people, everything is super wordy (my first experience to Claremont's writing) Wolverine kills Xavier out of nowhere, the latter who turns out to walk just fine, and then at the end Psylocke (not part of the cartoon lineup) captures Jubilee and Logan and feeds them naked into some weird rear end web tree with other naked people hanging around (my first experience to Claremont's writing). I also had no idea who the hell the bigass shapeshiftting Skrulls were meant to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My first X-Men comic was the one where Magik dies from the legacy virus. The cover said "if you buy 1 X comic this month buy this one." I was heavy into the clone saga at the time, but a fan of the X-Men cartoon. I got to read a comic where a little girl I didn't know anything about died of a terminal disease. Didn't touch X-Men again until my dad got me Generation X #1.

Years later I started reading Uncanny from the start of Claremont's run, started to like Magik as a character and asked about that issue here and found out who that was

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The most incredible thing about my first X-Men comic is that it wasn't also my last X-Men comic

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Of all the mutants who have been brought back, I hope Stryfe stays dead. Or at least never appears on screen ever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Stryfe's not only alive but has been in comics recently. He was an antagonist for an arc in the last year of Gerry Duggan's Deadpool run.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gologle posted:

Of all the mutants who have been brought back, I hope Stryfe stays dead. Or at least never appears on screen ever.

Technically, he deserves a place on the Summers Compound listening to Jean take turns pegging Logan and Scott.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There should now be a young Stryfe that's an annoying brother to young Cable and constantly pranking him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

There should now be a young Stryfe that's an annoying brother to young Cable and constantly pranking him.

the main villain of Ed Brisson's X-Force featuring Young Cable ended up being Young Stryfe!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That run managed to make Stryfe's stupid loving costume look cool.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My first X-Book was the one where Rachel and Amara infiltrate the Hellfire Club to kill Selene.

But the first X-Book I COLLECTED was New Mutants, the issue right after Warlock brought Doug back from the dead.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
This was my first X-Men comic. Let's just say that the backup story where Colossus loses his virginity to a woman from the Savage Land was a little confusing to 9 year old me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I don't remember my first issue # but it was Cyclops stranded on an island by himself with bandages around his eyes...

I am also a lifelong Cyke stan, lol

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Dreqqus posted:

I don't remember my first issue # but it was Cyclops stranded on an island by himself with bandages around his eyes...

I am also a lifelong Cyke stan, lol

Sounds like when he and his boss/lover Lee discover magnetos creepy water castle.

The first issue I remember reading was 270-72 I think. loving scary arc with masque where forge and banshee find the Jean doppelganger.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My grandma would randomly buy me comics. I think the only X-Men one she got me had Polaris in the desert, after the siege perilous stuff? I don't remember anything about it even after my full X-Men readthrough a few years back. I used to stop at the small town grocery store looking for new issues of the Marvel Transformers on the way to grade school. I didn't get into X-Men until X-Men #1. It didn't make much sense, but I liked the Jim Lee art, and Age of Apocalypse, Peter David's X-Factor and the full run of Excalibur kept me interested later along with a few crossover trades I got my hands on, until I dropped the superhero stuff for Sandman in high school.

My first comic I owned period was a hardcover collection my great aunt got me that included issues of The Shadow, Plastic Man, Scrooge McDuck, and a parody called Shazoom. (Ox, power of. Ox, power of another.) I wish I knew what happened to that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's entirely possible that the first X-men comic I owned was the Dark Phoenix trade, and even if it wasn't I'll just say that it was. Now my first exposure to the X-men period was almost definitely Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
First exposure to the X-Men? This, baby!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

BrianWilly posted:

First exposure to the X-Men? This, baby!

Oh yeah. That and the "AMERICA! Still needs your help!" arcade game for the Avengers. "Thank you WONDERMAN!" It's crazy how I can still hear the voice barks when I barely played that one. I at least got X-Men on the xbox arcade a decade or so ago and played through it a few times with my niece and nephew. They made me proud by fighting over Colossus.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

danbanana posted:

First book I ever bought was Groo #33.

I do have that one but I think the first comic I bought when I started buying them regularly was Groo #57. So once I fell in love with the genre of "slashing a million dudes to pieces" Wolverine was my next stop, who had recently started his own title and obviously uncanny x-men he was in too. When I graduated from "local record store comic book rack" to an actual comic book shop, that's when I started grabbing 80's x-men stories. But man, those Groo issues are timeless. Which I guess is a nice way of saying Sergio hasn't changed the formula at all in 35 years, but I still love them.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

davebo posted:

I do have that one but I think the first comic I bought when I started buying them regularly was Groo #57. So once I fell in love with the genre of "slashing a million dudes to pieces" Wolverine was my next stop, who had recently started his own title and obviously uncanny x-men he was in too. When I graduated from "local record store comic book rack" to an actual comic book shop, that's when I started grabbing 80's x-men stories. But man, those Groo issues are timeless. Which I guess is a nice way of saying Sergio hasn't changed the formula at all in 35 years, but I still love them.

I've had to go back and get the last couple series after release, but other than about 20 issues in the first portion of the Epic run, I've got them all. One of my favorite books ever.

I even had some letters published!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i started reading comics last year

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Alaois posted:

i started reading comics last year

Nerd

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

My first X-Men comic was this multimedia CD with Giant X-Men #1 and Incredible Hulk #181 on it that had buttons you could click to make the sound effects go off. It was rad as hell if you were 8.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My first X-Men was the Essential collection, starting with Giant Size #1. Somewhat inexplicably, Banshee was my favorite character.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

bagrada posted:

My first comic I owned period was a hardcover collection my great aunt got me that included issues of The Shadow, Plastic Man, Scrooge McDuck, and a parody called Shazoom. (Ox, power of. Ox, power of another.)

Sounds like that hardcover included some of Mad #4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cloks posted:

My first X-Men was the Essential collection, starting with Giant Size #1. Somewhat inexplicably, Banshee was my favorite character.

Banshee is pretty cool TBH. Wolverine and Storm are obviously the coolest of that first new class, but there's a good argument for any of them being someone's favorite.