Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

good jovi posted:

I have a Ryobi electric and it’s totally sufficient for home use. I don’t have any other small engines, so I cannot imagine the mess of dealing with a gas engine being worth it at all.

Same here. I bought mine on sale for like 120 bucks with a 12" surface cleaner. I have the 1.2Gpm 1800 psi model. It's perfectly adequate for what I need it to do. I don't have any other gas engine tools, so I didn't want a gas pressure washer if I could avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I borrowed a Karcher at one point and it was a real fuckin hassle to wrestle with

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The "problem" with the electrics seems to be flow, not PSI. If 1.<something> GPM is adequate for what you're doing they're a whole lot easier to use and a whole lot quieter.

I don't find them particularly useful for things like rinsing a car off, or rinsing cleaner off of a patio - it just takes too long and you're better off using a hose first, but those things work just fine with a decent gas pressure washer.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

The "problem" with the electrics seems to be flow, not PSI. If 1.<something> GPM is adequate for what you're doing they're a whole lot easier to use and a whole lot quieter.

I don't find them particularly useful for things like rinsing a car off, or rinsing cleaner off of a patio - it just takes too long and you're better off using a hose first, but those things work just fine with a decent gas pressure washer.

Huh. I borrowed my son-in-law's Amazon special cheapie electric and it was fine for washing/rinsing my cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Huh. I borrowed my son-in-law's Amazon special cheapie electric and it was fine for washing/rinsing my cars.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but - well, I suppose just don't use a gas one. It's WAY faster when you're putting out over double the GPM. I'm on the fence as to whether it's actually worth the noise/hassle, even though I know how much faster it is.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Motronic posted:

One day I will make a water jet CNC with one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAIDFaKhcZE

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

fralbjabar posted:

I've got a sun Joe electric and it's perfectly adequate for cleaning siding on the house and washing my car (with a foam sprayer). It's certainly not as potent as a gas washer, but I also don't need to strip paint or the bottoms of boats or anything. Pencil nozzle is absolutely capable of drilling holes in my lovely patio blocks too so not like it has no power.

Seconding the Sun Joe. It's plenty powerful and easy to use.

For my own question: Anyone have a recommendation for some quality star bits? The ones that come in the box with the screws gets chewed up so drat fast, and every bits case for sale has eleventy million phillips bits and exactly one set of star bits, if that.

I was gonna just get a few sets of the 5-off star bits (like this https://www.amazon.com/Rocaris-Scre...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==), but figured I'd see if anyone favored a particular brand for quality.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Seconding the Sun Joe. It's plenty powerful and easy to use.

For my own question: Anyone have a recommendation for some quality star bits? The ones that come in the box with the screws gets chewed up so drat fast, and every bits case for sale has eleventy million phillips bits and exactly one set of star bits, if that.

I was gonna just get a few sets of the 5-off star bits (like this https://www.amazon.com/Rocaris-Scre...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==), but figured I'd see if anyone favored a particular brand for quality.

I get on reasonably well with the dewalt ones, though I treat them as fairly disposable (hence buying in boxes of 25)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008E6LQL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BU0IVW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like they've changed the packaging a bit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think this has been asked before, but, pressure washers? I think there was something about electric ones being considered weak by some but petrol ones being too much?

I don't need to cut through steel with this thing, just clean things and not be poo poo. Ease of storage, use, and transport more important than e.g. blasting through patio grime for 12 hours a day.

No normal household human should need more machine than a karcher K7, so just get whatever fits your budget. Here in the land of 240v they're fine. Hell you can do 95% of what the K7 will do with a £100 K2 (just slower) so pick the smallest machine you think will be suitable? I had a K2 and if the motor hadn't failed early I'd see no reason to ever upgrade.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I have several I use all the time and they all have cords and do not bother me at all, but I don't find myself bothered by cords in general really. I am however really picky about how they are balanced and feel and what features they have so definitely get into that aspect of choosing. Some feel really weird and lovely to me

I guess people are different in this regard. I can't stand cords and avoid using corded tools because of it. Since I got the cheap and small cordless Ryobi Miter saw I never touch the corded one even when I'm repeatedly making cuts that stall out the Ryobi or exceed its cut capacity.

So I say go for the cordless angle grinder. It might be annoying for a bigger job but you'll turn to it for more smaller ones.

Ferrule posted:

I've had zero problems with any of my Milwaukee tools with the exception of that cordless M12 right-angle. It can't drill through dirt.

(I suppose it's not meant for drilling through studs or joists but sometimes I need to get into a tight space where the hole-hawg can't fit).

The M12 right angle is my favorite tool! It's weaker than the others because it doesn't have a two speed gearbox but is super useful for around the house crap and fits in a toolbag really well.

I've definitely drilled large holes in studs for electric work and it stalled a ton of times but it did it when the bigger drill couldn't fit.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Makita has the best widely available bits I've found. Not a fan of Milwaukee, DeWalts are decent but not as good as Makita.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Makita has the best widely available bits I've found. Not a fan of Milwaukee, DeWalts are decent but not as good as Makita.

As someone who spent all summer building a massive deck, they are all poo poo. Not a single one no matter the brand lasted more than 75 screws.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

No normal household human should need more machine than a karcher K7, so just get whatever fits your budget. Here in the land of 240v they're fine. Hell you can do 95% of what the K7 will do with a £100 K2 (just slower) so pick the smallest machine you think will be suitable? I had a K2 and if the motor hadn't failed early I'd see no reason to ever upgrade.

Karcher stuff seems to get a lot of bad reviews these days, and the K7 relies on bluetooth :negative:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It loving what? I retract my recommendation then, get the first one that pops up in Aldi or Lidl.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

It loving what? I retract my recommendation then, get the first one that pops up in Aldi or Lidl.

The "wand" bluetooths to the unit for some unfathomable reason, and apparently breaks, often leaving it stuck on soap mode and/or unable to pair.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

The "wand" bluetooths to the unit for some unfathomable reason, and apparently breaks, often leaving it stuck on soap mode and/or unable to pair.

Jesus loving Christ that’s so dumb.

‘Try the new Bluetooth enabled SmartHammer today! Automatically pairs with your Apple Watch to count calories burned while hammering nails! Unfortunately, hammer will not function if unpaired or while software is updating. Only $299.99!’

PYF dumb smart tools

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Jesus loving Christ that’s so dumb.

‘Try the new Bluetooth enabled SmartHammer today! Automatically pairs with your Apple Watch to count calories burned while hammering nails! Unfortunately, hammer will not function if unpaired or while software is updating. Only $299.99!’

quote:

I noticed that the LCD Display remains on the Detergent Mix mode irrespective of where i turn the vario spray lance. As a result, i cannot regulate the pressure in the dirt blaster and soft mode. This is quite disappointing. I have been on the line with Karcher Helpline all day and i have followed every troubleshooting instruction ..... to no avail. The LCD Display screen on the trigger gun remains on the Detergent mix mode permanently.

quote:

I don't see the point of the full control system and I found that getting a simple jet of water out of the thing incredibly difficult! I'm struggling to find a good reason why any manufacturer would want to connect the lance to the machine via Bluetooth and have a dozen settings for simply washing a car or driveway down etc?!

quote:

I’ve only used this 2 times and it’s developed the known fault of being stuck in soap mix mode. No matter what I do it’s still only stuck to soap mix mode. Tried all the advice online of removing the battery’s, unpairing to repair, flush to remove air locks. Nothing works.

quote:

Bought this as it was the most powerful machine for the money. Nothing but trouble from the start. Wireless controls failed within 8weeks....warranty repair.....8 months later machine would not pair to lance and the pencil jet would not spin anymore.

These are not experiences I want to.. experience.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

PYF dumb smart tools

I spent some time going back and forth on which sous vide circulator to buy and wound up with an IoT one, and I heavily regret it, because debugging poo poo is not what I want to be doing when I'm trying to get something done.

This is also why I didn't get the Bose noise-cancelling headphones because they stop functioning entirely if the battery dies.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 16, 2019

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

canyoneer posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-5-Amp-Corded-7-in-Table-Top-Wet-Tile-Saw-R4021/301127383

Home Depot has a decent tile saw for $99. I did a backsplash and another ~300 square feet of flooring with it. Wasn't quite as nice as the one with a pump I borrowed from my coworker but it got it done.
I also have, and moderately approve of this saw. It is worth exactly 99 dollars. You should buy it at this price, but at no higher price.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I also have, and moderately approve of this saw. It is worth exactly 99 dollars. You should buy it at this price, but at no higher price.

This is honestly one of the most helpful reviews I've read in recent months.

Also I want to say my K2 pressure washer worked out to about £0.20/minute considering how long I used it before it ate itself. I wasn't happy with that result but at least I only had to pair it with my house power and water using standard connectors.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's kind of funny actually. In-fact I can believe its cheaper to run a wireless link these days than a physical cable harness but somehow its 2019 and Bluetooth still sucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They're all loud as gently caress so get some good ears too.

Jaded Burnout posted:

100% on this.

Use earpro on every tool*, imo.

(*yes, the vacuum cleaner is a tool.)

--------

As for pressure washers, my opinion is that the electric ones are fine for cleaning your car and undercover-area pavers.

For cleaning your driveway you can use an electric but you're gonna be there for literal days with the 0° setting.
Much better to get a petrol model and then you can hopefully use a setting as wide as one paver.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 17, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

For cleaning your driveway you can use an electric but you're gonna be there for literal days with the 0° setting.
Much better to get a petrol model and then you can hopefully use a setting as wide as one paver.

Cakesmith raises a good point that I have 230VAC everywhere, so performance may be better than you're used to.

Edit: for example, the aforementioned Ryobi/honda unit is 210bar and 2.5GPM, while the Wilks-USA RX550i is 262bar and 2.24GPM, $60 cheaper, and no faffing with fuel.

If I had any significant amount of land the combustion version would win, but for (literally) around the house an electric one should be fine.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 17, 2019

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, with 230VAC, you can get electrics with performance numbers just as good as low end gas models, there's less of a reason to go gas.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm kind of hoping Ego makes a battery one, though I don't know how feasible that'd be. I love their other lawn equipment and the snow blower seems to have decent reviews?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

~Coxy posted:

Use earpro on every tool*, imo.

(*yes, the vacuum cleaner is a tool.)

A quiet Miele canister vac needs no ear pro :ssh:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, with 230VAC, you can get electrics with performance numbers just as good as low end gas models, there's less of a reason to go gas.

*wonders what amazon.uk shipping rates would be*

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, I should have mentioned this. The gigantic diesel-fired steam one we have at the fire house is a 240v pump and it puts my little gas one to shame, even before you turn on the heat.

Mr. Mambold posted:

*wonders what amazon.uk shipping rates would be*

They're absolutely available in the US, just uncommon since most people don't have an easy way to use one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I should have mentioned this. The gigantic diesel-fired steam one we have at the fire house is a 240v pump and it puts my little gas one to shame, even before you turn on the heat.

They're absolutely available in the US, just uncommon since most people don't have an easy way to use one.

I'ma check it out. I'm really ok with just borrowing my son-in-law's little sprayer, but hell, I too am a toolaholic. It's been a month since I, uh, had a relapse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'ma check it out. I'm really ok with just borrowing my son-in-law's little sprayer, but hell, I too am a toolaholic. It's been a month since I, uh, had a relapse.

I think this is the one we have, it's just got a different brand sticker on it: https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/BravePro-BRP4030HCA-Pressure-Washer/p16340.html It sure looks the same.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Does anyone have any experience/opinion they could offer on oscillating tools? Makita, or the OG FEIN?

I have some projects coming up that will require one, and more in the future.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Petite Dinklage posted:

Does anyone have any experience/opinion they could offer on oscillating tools? Makita, or the OG FEIN?

I’ve got a cordless Rigid that I really like. It’s got a quick change chuck of sorts. Pick up some carbide Bosch blades and you’ll be good to go for a while

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The variable speed harbor freight works great. I started with a Dremel multi max, but it sucked and died after a year. Definitely agree about the Bosch carbide blades, they're far more durable than anything else I've used. If you're using it in drywall, just used a dull blade, as it'll dull anything you use anyhow.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Petite Dinklage posted:

I bought a cheap one and it's worked fine for a lot of jobs so far. Make sure it has a way of detaching the star lock easily if you want to use the fully enclosed type of blade, as some will only accept the "quick change" 3/4 circle ones.

It is by far the loudest tool I own.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Jaded Burnout posted:

It is by far the loudest tool I own.

Yeah, ear protection is mandatory with OMTs.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
My gas-powered back-pack leaf blower final died (it was free, came with the house).

Any recommendations? I don't have a ton of leaves to clear, mostly grass clippings. I've used a Stihl before but not really looking to go that pricey.

I do have a ton of Milwaukee tools and I saw they have an M18 blower. Any good? Most battery blowers stink in my experience.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I went from a corded Toro blower to the Milwaukee M18 blower. The M18 is ever so slightly less powerful but it actually ends up being quite a bit more useful since it doesn't blow nearly as much of my gravel away.

Zero regrets, would gladly never deal with a two-stroke again. You will likely want the big-rear end battery if you expect to need a half hour or more of runtime. I got mine in a combo kit with the string trimmer and a 9AH battery and even for my dinky front yard 9AH isn't always enough.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, ear protection is mandatory with OMTs.

That and a rotary tool are probably the two tools that put me at highest risk for vibration injuries. The good news is that I'm usually not using them for extended periods of time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

canyoneer posted:

That and a rotary tool are probably the two tools that put me at highest risk for vibration injuries. The good news is that I'm usually not using them for extended periods of time.

I think I'll add my compressor for primo ear pro necessity, which is rated at 97dB

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I work with headphones in, the music drowns out all the tools :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

I work with headphones in, the music drowns out all the tools :downs:

Except the ones in this thread heyoooo