Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have asked a similar question before, but what basic/weak-looking moves are deceptively injury-prone? I got surprised upon reading that the leg drop hosed Hogan's body up, and I have several other accounts from wrestlers (some have been injured by a botched hiptoss, a lock up, or even a simple stomp on a grounded opponent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Schneider Heim posted:

I have asked a similar question before, but what basic/weak-looking moves are deceptively injury-prone? I got surprised upon reading that the leg drop hosed Hogan's body up, and I have several other accounts from wrestlers (some have been injured by a botched hiptoss, a lock up, or even a simple stomp on a grounded opponent).

Flying Headbutt is probably the most notorious. It never ever looks like it hurts the other guy nearly enough to be worth how much it looks like (and actually does) hurt the person performing it, and the 3 guys most associated with it were Dynamite Kid (horribly crippled), Daniel Bryan (forced into temporary retirement and only wrestles on the condition he get a full examination after every match), and Chris Benoit.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Every single time I see a flying headbutt I wonder why you wouldn't just do a frog splash or something instead.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

TriffTshngo posted:

Flying Headbutt is probably the most notorious. It never ever looks like it hurts the other guy nearly enough to be worth how much it looks like (and actually does) hurt the person performing it, and the 3 guys most associated with it were Dynamite Kid (horribly crippled), Daniel Bryan (forced into temporary retirement and only wrestles on the condition he get a full examination after every match), and Chris Benoit.

Flying Headbutt is incredibly underwhelming to me so yeah. Could literally do anything else on the top rope and it would look better.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Chris Benoit's diving headbutt was so stupid. He'd be like *throat cut gesture* and then jump on the guy and then roll around like "OH MY GOD WHY DID I DO THAT" and then cover the guy and he kicks out.

Does anybody have the gif handy?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shine posted:

Chris Benoit's diving headbutt was so stupid. He'd be like *throat cut gesture* and then jump on the guy and then roll around like "OH MY GOD WHY DID I DO THAT" and then cover the guy and he kicks out.

Does anybody have the gif handy?
Random question:

What is the difference between RVD's Five Star Frog Splash and a regular one? I seem to remember he always clutched at his stomach or something after doing it too, at least in the video games so I guess it even hurts him more?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in mid-air, rvd would plunge a screwdriver into his abdomen right before landing on the opponent in order to do more damage. the screwdriver handle would strike the opponent very hard, and be pushed all the way inside of rvd so that there was no evidence of wrongdoing afterward. he would briefly suffer the aftereffect of extreme pain before making the cover.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

Random question:

What is the difference between RVD's Five Star Frog Splash and a regular one? I seem to remember he always clutched at his stomach or something after doing it too, at least in the video games so I guess it even hurts him more?

It was 5 Star because RVD was doing it. He was "The Whole F'N Show", "Mr. Monday Night", so his finisher was better than every one else's.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Random question:

RVD at least pinned people with his "I HATE MYSELF" move. Benoit just hurt himself all the time and then died.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hate any move that looks like it hurts the guy doing it more than who they’re doing it to. Hated Justin Gabriel’s 450 splash for this reason.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Davros1 posted:

It was 5 Star because RVD was doing it. He was "The Whole F'N Show", "Mr. Monday Night", so his finisher was better than every one else's.

I think he also purposefully placed people slightly out of position and turned himself midair.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never really could decide if that was done on purpose or because he was just sloppy.

He also like hopped up to the top rope and did one of his big bounce sells when he hit. But it was all his athletic affectations. The move was just a froggie splash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

With Hogan it's more the carrying around massive amounts of muscle mass than the leg drop.

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Speaking of which, how they hell have they not revisited the WWE Warehouse idea? Sure, don't have Joey Styles host it, but they have that gigantic warehouse with all sorts of cool stuff. That could easily be a fifteen minute show here and there. poo poo, I was excited just to see the blimps that used to float around arenas in the late 90s.

I think they should open up an actual physical hall of fame and set up as much of the warehouse as possible to be a museum portion of it. You could have sections for the actual hall of famers with all the stuff that's associated with them and then just have a general tour through the rest. I would pay a pretty penny to able to go through there and just soak in all the wrestling history.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Schneider Heim posted:

One friend almost died taking a hiptoss and another one got concussed taking an armdrag.

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.
What are some really good CZW cards top to bottom or are there any time periods in its history that are known as the best?
I've been watching it on highspots and it seems like a lot of the shows have some great matches and then some pretty meh ones. I dont kind deathmatch stuff but I prefer the ones where they limit it to a couple death matches and the rest is a good balance of high flying and hard hitting matches

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Diar posted:

I think they should open up an actual physical hall of fame and set up as much of the warehouse as possible to be a museum portion of it. You could have sections for the actual hall of famers with all the stuff that's associated with them and then just have a general tour through the rest. I would pay a pretty penny to able to go through there and just soak in all the wrestling history.

This actually sounds loving awesome, and now I'm mad cause it'll never happen.

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

This actually sounds loving awesome, and now I'm mad cause it'll never happen.

I would straight up work for a can of chef boyardee a day and cramped corner in the back somewhere to sleep as security there just to be around the endless supply of wrestling history. Hell I would probably do it for a pack of ramen I know my worth and it's not much.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

baseball slide dropkicks are apparently the number 1 way to break your leg doing something that isn't all that impressive

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Alaois posted:

baseball slide dropkicks are apparently the number 1 way to break your leg doing something that isn't all that impressive

See Neville, Adrian

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Seams posted:

I hate any move that looks like it hurts the guy doing it more than who they’re doing it to. Hated Justin Gabriel’s 450 splash for this reason.

I actually like it when they act like the move hurts, it really sells that it's a high risk maneouvre that you only pull out now and again. I actually liked Benoit's headbutt for the same reason. Then of course I found out it wasn't an act

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

See Neville, Adrian

Yup.

The clip I'd saved has been deleted, but PAC (fka Neville) snapped his poo poo doing a baseball slide against Jericho. Jericho improvised and rolled him up, but the ref didn't seem to realize what was happening and only counted two. Jericho very audibly yelled "he's hurt, HE'S HURT" and shoved the ref, who then called for a DQ.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Cena tore his pectoral on an arm drag if I remember right. Or a hip toss. Either way he just sold it bad and got hosed up.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheKingslayer posted:

Cena tore his pectoral on an arm drag if I remember right. Or a hip toss. Either way he just sold it bad and got hosed up.

Wasn't that because Kennedy did it all weird?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't that because Kennedy did it all weird?

Honestly I'm not sure, I've only heard Meltzer talk about it but I wouldn't be shocked if it was Kennedy's fault.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cena got injured doing a hiptoss to Kennedy because he took it weird and I guess it sandbagged Cena a bit?

Anyway the best answer is Shane McMahon's punches.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kennedy had a habit of hurting his opponents so it certainly tracks, him hurting Orton coupled with his Signature Pharmacy stupidity is what got him fired

I've always wondered what they had planned for Kennedy vis-a-vis the McMahon's illegitimate son angle, was he gonna get an insufferable mega push?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 18, 2019

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

there was a brief tease that Sandman was the illegitimate McMahon and god that would have been very briefly very entertaining

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Wasnt that because Sandman legit didnt know to get the gently caress out of the ring

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kennedy had a habit of hurting his opponents so it certainly tracks, him hurting Orton coupled with his Signature Pharmacy stupidity is what got him fired

Kennedy thought he could sell staple moves in different ways to make them look more realistic and didn't stop to think maybe there's a reason in like 100 years of pro wrestling nobody else did it that way.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Tweak posted:

Wasnt that because Sandman legit didnt know to get the gently caress out of the ring

IIRC he just happened to fit every single clue that was supposed to reduce it down to HHH (and Hornswoggle) and just didn't leave because he was still technically a candidate.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

FunMerrania posted:

One friend almost died taking a hiptoss and another one got concussed taking an armdrag.
re: extremely common moves, I saw an extremely scary back-bodydrop in a class and I'm honestly surpised there haven't been more injuries off that one.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I think Trent's big injury last year was off of one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Draxion posted:

I think Trent's big injury last year was off of one.

It was onto a ladder though

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

CVagts posted:

IIRC he just happened to fit every single clue that was supposed to reduce it down to HHH (and Hornswoggle) and just didn't leave because he was still technically a candidate.

The way I remember it being told is that he was wrestling someone just prior to the segment (I think Santino?) and he somehow ended up getting concussed during the match. During the segment you can see him on the outside trying to get his breath back, including when the lawyer reveals that Vince's son is not EXTREME.

Some of this may have come from Sandman himself, who bizarrely enough may not be the best source.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

while it may have been a mistake on the part of a man with a history of cookware-induced head trauma, it's still better than the actual outcome, which was "look at this small man, he is littler than is typical" which further somehow led to a Wrestlemania match where JBL hucked a trash can at a small man

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sandmahon would have been way better if only because those two would have been forced to coexist in TV segments for at least three weeks.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Didn't Sandman also almost become the RAW GM before it wound up being Regal or someone else? I feel like Sandman had a couple of real close calls of doing things in WWE that would have been interesting in a new and bizarre way, but then he missed out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Honestly that TV lawyer delivering his info via a drawn-out riddle is one of my favorite dumb wrestling things. Like the angle itself is played for stupid comedy but that aspect of it was handled relatively straight with no one in-universe really questioning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Didn't Sandman also almost become the RAW GM before it wound up being Regal or someone else? I feel like Sandman had a couple of real close calls of doing things in WWE that would have been interesting in a new and bizarre way, but then he missed out.

Wonder why that happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2uCHRR8_uk