Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

That is certainly embarrassing, considering where Google came from.

They come from advertising. Cloud services, hell any services where they arent a monopoly, doesnt come natural to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They were a search company first, and one of the very first entities to scale out large with datacenters around the world. Certainly before Microsoft, anyway. And they still hosed it up.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
one view I've heard a few times: 'we had the first public cloud in 2008 with appengine but people weren't ready for it / didn't understand it.' which is both true and pretty ignorant of what customers actually wanted

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

hostile apostle posted:

State Share isnt available at launch, but its coming - devs have to enable it and develop it for the platform which was not done for titles in the launch catalog. John Justice video on this today

https://stadia.dev/blog/the-magic-of-state-share-explained/

so...state share isn't a stadia thing, it's "if developers build a save-state feature in their game, you can also use it on stadia"

google will host the state save file with a video / description for you though. I guess that's something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So we're talking regular game saves now? When it first was introduced, I expected it to save the state of the whole VM.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah thats what I thought too. Which was why their well hold you stream for 10 minutes promise made no sense to me. Like, my home consoles can go into rest mode for days and resume exactly where I left it unless theres an online component at which point the game complains.

The amount of features that are getting cut or delayed from their prominent demos (plus the ones they technically never promised but implied) is fascinating to me.

I guess it comes down to different ethos of what a demo announcement is for. Ive gotten used to the big three game console makers and Apple who typically dont announce features until they are certain they can ship them and its big news when they fail (AirPower). Id forgotten about Googles tendency to pre-announce promising concepts and speculative tech.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I mean, with graphics, they'd probably still need to explicit support for waking up a VM, to restore the GPU state. Then again, Google could do it on their side within the OS, I figure.

But if it's just some loving savegames that you can load directly into, it's just a shortcut that bypasses the intros and saves you a click on Load Game. Essentially much ado about nothing.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
With something online like Destiny I can see why they can't just save the whole game state, because you need to login again each time or whatever. But with RDR2 story mode it's really nice to just jump right back in. As a PC gamer that was one of the things I was most impressed by playing on PS4 and using rest mode.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Finally, a console that has a save feature. Thank you Phil Harrison

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

doingitwrong posted:

Yeah that’s what I thought too. Which was why their “we’ll hold you stream for 10 minutes” promise made no sense to me. Like, my home consoles can go into rest mode for days and resume exactly where I left it unless there’s an online component at which point the game complains.

The amount of features that are getting cut or delayed from their prominent demos (plus the ones they technically never promised but implied) is fascinating to me.

I guess it comes down to different ethos of what a demo announcement is for. I’ve gotten used to the big three game console makers and Apple who typically don’t announce features until they are certain they can ship them and it’s big news when they fail (AirPower). I’d forgotten about Google’s tendency to pre-announce promising concepts and speculative tech.

It's not different ethos, it's bad business. Google is trying to sell an already risky proposition, and if reality doesn't meet the expectations that they set then Stadia comes out the door looking half-baked. The initial response will be confusion and disappointment, leading to the service selling poorly and getting shut down before the 2022.

And what I find hilarious is the lack of a killer app. RDR2 is not a killer app, since millions of people have played it already. How many people are out there who haven't played it yet, and don't have the means to play it currently, are Google going to get?

How are you supposed to drum up support for a half-baked games service if all you have are games I can easily get cheap on the PS4 and not have to worry about my internet connection not being perfect at all times?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1196200450011385857

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Coming in 2020 is doing a lot of work for Google considering its less than two months away. Its pretty laughable to believe all that poo poo is coming in January.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Coming in [time_region] can mean a lot. Typically when studios announce games to be released in a specific quarter, it tends to be at the end of it. Google announcing general availability of Stadia for 2020 may practically be the second half of the year.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Whoa now, local edgelord is coming in with a HOT TAKE?

The guy is Australia - how is he even holding the controller? More like he's talking out his rear end for "engagement".

EDIT: also, Stadia added a ton more titles to the launch line up today, 22 total now:
* Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
* Farming Simulator 2019
* Final Fantasy XV
* Football Simulator 2020
* Grid (2019)
* Metro Exodus
* NBA 2K20
* Rage 2
* Trials Rising
* Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Samurai Shodown has also been added as a Stadia Pro "free" game

Nothing show stopping in the added titles, but 22 total titles is pretty good for day one. Good to see at least some sports and racing to the catalog.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 18, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

okay taking my trash talk hat off for a second and just speaking honestly, the addition of more launch titles feels like google underestimated what microsoft would announce with xcloud and so they scrambled to try and score some positive pre-launch news... because realistically speaking, the launch units are already sold, so they don't HAVE to do ANYTHING at this point to improve their launch because the initial investment's already been locked down. so they're just looking for positive PR in general

the biggest problem for google is that microsoft and sony both have already put together their infrastructure ahead of time and have a huge headstart. so google is going to have to add dozens of games each week if they want to catch up, and add a lot of games to the premium freebie library. because xcloud will support gamepass and gamepass has a ton of games, and PSNow, despite its lack of day-and-date sizzle, has hundreds of games across PS2-PS3-PS4 (so maybe it won't have the avengers game at launch, but it does have asura's wrath, and that has to count for something imo).

and I still think that google is going to have to consider doing what Epic did with their first Epic Store sale, and go REALLY deep with their discounts. launching before black friday, I would assume that they'd have something planned for the black friday-holiday calendar. if they're just like "we have no sale on black friday, FFXV is $60" and PSN/Steam has it for like $12 and Xbox GamePass subscribers are getting it for free in a few months along with several other FF games... that's no good

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 18, 2019

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

the biggest problem for google is that microsoft and sony both have already put together their infrastructure ahead of time and have a huge headstart. so google is going to have to add dozens of games each week if they want to catch up, and add a lot of games to the premium freebie library. because xcloud will support gamepass and gamepass has a ton of games, and PSNow, despite its lack of day-and-date sizzle, has hundreds of games across PS2-PS3-PS4 (so maybe it won't have the avengers game at launch, but it does have asura's wrath, and that has to count for something imo).

Xcloud is 720p on Android phones only, and from most accounts nearly unplayable for many games like FPS due to latency. PSNow has the same latency issues. Sounds more to me more like the biggest problem for Microsoft is that they have to play catch up. Google was ahead of where they are today a year ago with Project Stream.

Google is absolutely behind in content, but tech is certainly not the weak point. In the end this is a content business, but the tech has to be there too.

Google are not morons - they're not going to sell games for $60 when other stores are selling them for $12.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Good grief lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sonys tech works great

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't really understand why the Google people keep hand waving away the major problems with broadband infrastructure in the US which is going to make it difficult for them to be able to grow this service. There's a massive problem in this country where many areas only have one major broadband provider, which means that provider can control customers with data caps and/or high pricing and there's nothing they can do about it. The response from the Google people has been basically 'well, they won't be stupid and alienate their customers', but as mentioned they ignore the fact that a lot of companies have monopolized broadband access in major areas.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
We're finally breaking him down.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hostile apostle posted:

Xcloud is 720p on Android phones only, and from most accounts nearly unplayable for many games like FPS due to latency. PSNow has the same latency issues.
It's almost like that's an inherent drawback of the technology, which is why both companies consider it a supplementary service rather than a primary one.

quote:

Google is absolutely behind in content, but tech is certainly not the weak point.
Let's see how it actually functions in the real world in a variety of situations rather than in carefully-arranged demonstrations before acting like Google has the magic dust Sony and Microsoft failed to discover.

quote:

Google are not morons - they're not going to sell games for $60 when other stores are selling them for $12.
They will absolutely 100% try to justify higher prices for older games on the basis of the cost of porting and the "added value" their platform brings, just like on the Switch, combined with the typical new platform idea that your audience doesn't have much choice so they'll pay more for what's there. They want to portray these games as something everyone wants with inherent value, not a bunch of years-old also-rans, and they'll be priced accordingly.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

sethsez posted:

It's almost like that's an inherent drawback of the technology, which is why both companies consider it a supplementary service rather than a primary one.

Let's see how it actually functions in the real world in a variety of situations rather than in carefully-arranged demonstrations before acting like Google has the magic dust Sony and Microsoft failed to discover.

Project stream literally demonstrated that is not the case when its done well. Yea of course Stadia is not going to perform well for the people trying to play in the faraday cage in the bank vault thats 20 feet below ground on 802.11b wifi from a potato router.

sethsez posted:

They will absolutely 100% try to justify higher prices for older games on the basis of the cost of porting and the "added value" their platform brings, just like on the Switch, combined with the typical new platform idea that your audience doesn't have much choice so they'll pay more for what's there. They want to portray these games as something everyone wants with inherent value, not a bunch of years-old also-rans, and they'll be priced accordingly.

They've have stated multiple times publicly to the contrary but you can make up whatever narrative you want. See here for the latest of many examples:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/dvv3tv/hi_reddit_andrey_from_the_stadia_team_here_and_im/f7ezj3r/

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

hostile apostle posted:

Project stream literally demonstrated that is not the case when its done well. Yea of course Stadia is not going to perform well for the people trying to play in the faraday cage in the bank vault thats 20 feet below ground on 802.11b wifi from a potato router.

Do you think Google invented some sort of magic to prevent latency issues that Sony and Microsoft don't possess?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Peachfart posted:

Do you think Google invented some sort of magic to prevent latency issues that Sony and Microsoft don't possess?

It's called input prediction, dumbass.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

heeheex2 posted:

:google:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Peachfart posted:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, but before you thought of the question.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

heeheex2 posted:

This rules lol

Stadia's so broken it also breaks people's brains before it even comes out.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hostile apostle posted:

Yes, that is the bandwidth and latency limitation they need to overcome.

quote:

They've have stated multiple times publicly to the contrary but you can make up whatever narrative you want. See here for the latest of many examples:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/dvv3tv/hi_reddit_andrey_from_the_stadia_team_here_and_im/f7ezj3r/
Nobody ever says "we're going to charge more than other platforms" and yet that's how new platform launches always seem to turn out.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider currently costs $19 on Xbox One if you buy it on Amazon, and Rise of the Tomb Raider is $12. They're both $60 on Steam. Given that this is a closed system and the publisher's price preference is obvious, I'm willing to guess which of those prices they'll "be competitive" with.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

sethsez posted:

Yes, that is the bandwidth and latency limitation they need to overcome.

Nobody ever says "we're going to charge more than other platforms" and yet that's how new platform launches always seem to turn out.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider currently costs $19 on Xbox One if you buy it on Amazon, and Rise of the Tomb Raider is $12. They're both $60 on Steam. Given that this is a closed system and the publisher's price preference is obvious, I'm willing to guess which of those prices they'll "be competitive" with.

*hides employee badge and does a different high voice* actually I read that the tomb raider trilogy is sold as a bundle on stadia so it's not a bad deal

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

Xcloud is 720p on Android phones only, and from most accounts nearly unplayable for many games like FPS due to latency. PSNow has the same latency issues. Sounds more to me more like the biggest problem for Microsoft is that they have to play catch up. Google was ahead of where they are today a year ago with Project Stream.
we're talking about anecdotal evidence here (and I can contribute mine, that PS4 streaming, Steam Link, and the Project Stream latency were all about the same for me)

why would you want 4K streaming on a phone, that's loving buckwild for so many reasons. unless you were saying that xcloud is also android phone only, which won't be the case and it's already been explained before that xcloud supports xbox one and will support PC in 2020 (the same target for Stadia btw)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sethsez posted:

I mean, even in their own on-stage presentations you could see visible input lag and that should be near best case unless Google is full of idiots who can't set up a tech presentation properly. Of course, they could have been faking it all for the demo for all I know :shrug:

hostile apostle posted:

:lol:
802.11b is like 5-ish Mbit/s throughput at the best of times. Might be hard to get even HD Netflix streaming running reliably on that without a lot of buffering.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
i've been calling the Stadia the STAD.O.A

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Staid-ia

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

heeheex2 posted:

There will be a toggle labelled "Should Stadia always predict you'll do the right thing when using input prediction? Y/N"

Speedrunning is going to be a Stadia only pursuit from now on.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Once they have enough player data they'll start storing the frames that a player is most likely to see. Then they won't even have to render the game in real-time anymore, they'll just figure out which frame the player needs next and send it from their database of pre-rendered frames. They could use spare computing power to improve the visual fidelity of the stored frames in a way that would be impossible in real-time.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Maybe they could even predict Star Citizen into a real game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've just used frame prediction on a macro level to determine that stadia is discontinued by 2022

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

nightwisher posted:

i've been calling the Stadia the STAD.O.A

:respek:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
So this thing is supposed to be working today? Has anyone here got one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
No the release is tomorrow.