Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Every GCW show has an incredible anything could happen energy to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

GCW is easily the most influential indie in the US.

it still blows my mind that nick gage of all people has become the wrestling taste maker. turns out deathmatches can draw.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coconono posted:

it still blows my mind that nick gage of all people has become the wrestling taste maker. turns out deathmatches can draw.

I realized that Nick Gage is truly a great worker after I started thinking about how I’ve never seen a Gage match where the fans are sitting at the end of it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nick Gage is a modern day folk hero.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nick Gage is a modern day folk hero.
Cheap plug: https://victoryjournal.com/stories/there-will-be-blood/

(I know the spacing is weird; they took it from the print version and didn't re-space it accordingly.)

davidbix fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 18, 2019

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

FullMetalJackoff posted:

Now the crowd don't move to that bump from '81
What might get heat for you, may not get heat for some
Cornette is scorned, he's a man of screams
Then along comes Ru, they're the worst creative team

But they got, Backstage Stroke
It takes, Backstage Stroke
It takes, Backstage Stroke to work the boys

Everybody's got some stupid kind of gimmick
Everybody gets a slap or fine
It don't matter Bucks have got better spots
So what
"They're self-marks" Cornette remarks the fourteenth time
Now Matt Morgan gets to shine

Because it takes, Backstage Stroke to work the boys
Yes it does
It takes, Backstage Stroke to work the boys

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Same with Bea Priestley (who I generally like, but her AEW program with Britt hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire, to say the least), who Corny once described in one of his AEW rants/reviews as being "hotter than a blowtorch in a microwave". Bea and Britt are both attractive women, but building your women's division around physical attractiveness instead of things like the ability to work and connect with an audience is how we ended up with WWE Divas for so goddamn long.

Jimmy C and Johnny A are kindred spirits.

CombineThresher posted:

Unlike Jim Cornette, Kikutaro is the coolest and the best.

Still hoping for another appearance by Ebesstan Hansen.

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 18, 2019

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I don’t know why people are so weird about Excalibur’s mask

When I've had my non-wrestling-fan friends watch AEW, the announcer that is the most off-putting at first glance is Jim Ross, because the way he looks when he talks is very unusual if you're not used to it. The next person that stands out is Tony, because he looks too normal next to JR and Excalibur.

STAC Goat posted:

Apparently I should be paying more attention to this GCW thing.

GCW rules. It's got that 'anything can happen'/'wouldn't be surprised if the cops show up' energy that hasn't been around since the prime of ECW.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
gcw is the poo poo and i’m very excited for their shows this upcoming mania weekend. effy’s big gay brunch is gonna rule and we will be drinking mimosas

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

FullMetalJackoff posted:

Still hoping for another appearance by Ebesstan Hansen.

Human Kikutornado would be fun too.

WatermelonGun posted:

gcw is the poo poo and i’m very excited for their shows this upcoming mania weekend. effy’s big gay brunch is gonna rule and we will be drinking mimosas

GCW's themed shows in particular sound really fun and I hope they run in or near Baltimore someday.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

For anyone that watches “Wrestling with Wregret” on YouTube, Cornette blocked Brian Zane.

https://twitter.com/thejimcornette/status/1196415503046266881?s=21

https://twitter.com/zmanbrianzane/status/1196448150908571651?s=21

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what kind of man blocks his own drat son on twitter

the lowest of the low.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wish Jim Cornette would block himself IRL and save us all the disappointment.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GCW's 4th of July backyard wrestling show is easily the show of the year. A dude accidently shot himself point blank in the face with a Roman candle. Twice. There were multiple trampoline spots. They had an above ground pool. Everyone worked as their backyard characters so Nick Gage came out as hardass Nick. An absolutely wasted Joey Janela got on commentary and talked about how awful Trump and America is.

gently caress, now I want to watch it.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
The first time I saw Riho was her match with Nyla Rose. I had a really hard time buying Riho's offense because of what Cornette said. There didnt seem to be any weight behind her strikes. I felt like she couldnt even hurt me, much less Nyla. Her later matches helped me accept her much more since she was paired up with less size disparities. So I guess Cornette is right there? However it sounds like he made that point and then went nuts right after. Who knows I havent listened much to him since hes gone mental on AEW.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're trying to hit the piss out of a much larger opponent, you're doing it wrong. That's not wrestling that's just being a stubborn idiot.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, considering her move set is a lot of stomping and rollups I think she also knows her strikes don't look impactful. A forearm at her size might not look good but a double foot stomp from the top rope always will.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sionistic posted:

The first time I saw Riho was her match with Nyla Rose. I had a really hard time buying Riho's offense because of what Cornette said. There didnt seem to be any weight behind her strikes. I felt like she couldnt even hurt me, much less Nyla. Her later matches helped me accept her much more since she was paired up with less size disparities. So I guess Cornette is right there? However it sounds like he made that point and then went nuts right after. Who knows I havent listened much to him since hes gone mental on AEW.

You should look at the fact that Cornette agreed with you as evidence you are wrong and that perhaps you need to re-evaluate your life.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cornette blocked me when i pointed to him that the guy cosplaying as himself 30 years ago into a z league youtube show shouldnt talk about AEW in their broadcast. what a loving moron

i tried to watch the first episode but that hick babbling about real wrestlers doing real wrestling i mean gently caress off

MassRafTer posted:

You should look at the fact that Cornette agreed with you as evidence you are wrong and that perhaps you need to re-evaluate your life.

yeah no joke, the climax of that match was riho elbowing nyla to death and then stomping on her

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, considering her move set is a lot of stomping and rollups I think she also knows her strikes don't look impactful. A forearm at her size might not look good but a double foot stomp from the top rope always will.

Her strikes at the end of that Nyla match won me over because it looked like she was throwing absolute death at Nyla and the crowd was going insane for it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is there anyone as knowledgeable about wrestling but as hated for his opinions like Cornette? I think that the knowledge part is why we listen to him at times until his opinions are so caustic that we can't take anymore.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Riho works noticibly less stiff in the US than she does in Japan so part of it is the old “wait I can’t work stiff” second guessing that a lot of Japanese talent struggle with. Not saying that she’s Yumiko Hotta or whoever in Japan but it’s a noticible thing.

I don’t get the Riho criticism but I think that’s me being a longer time fan of hers who’s watched her grow up the last few years. I don’t see an unknown small wrestler who’s dwarfed by everyone else who doesn’t seem to have stiff strikes: I see Riho; one of my favourite wrestlers making it big in the US which is really very cool. Everyone has their blind spots and that goes every way!

davidbix posted:

Don't apologize. I'm super uninformed about the current Japanese women's scene so this is all very useful!

As is probably obvious it’s sort of something I’m passionate about so it’s nice to see that someone is interested! They upload at least a match a day with English commentary onto YouTube (something they started when Emi Sakura and Riho were announced for Double or Nothing and have kept on doing) so if you’re interested in seeing somewhat niche Indy Joshi then it’s the easier to find really.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never saw Riho before AEW and I'm pretty well sold. I don't have the same perspective as "smaller wrestlers look fake when they strike bigger ones" people do, though. I've seen plenty of good small man vs big man stuff and intergender stuff and whatever. That feels in some ways like an idea that is gonna be more set in with people watchinG WWE and using that as a standard while I think the US Indy scene has largely trained me past it over the last decade or whatever. Which isn't to say that when a smaller wrestler hits a bigger one there isn't a "david vs goliath" aspect. But I think that's a match I love because I enjoy the story that the smaller wrestler needs to find ways to hurt the bigger one.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Can we start calling Cornette "Jimmy Corncob" and make it a thing in the greater wrestling community.

I mean if anyone can appreciate calling someone you don't like a dismissive nickname it's old Jimmy Corncob.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

From what I remember Riho’s wild forearms to Nyla were what woke up the crowd and got them really into the last third of that match

I love her strikes, personally. They don’t look strong in a traditional sense, but they do look like she’s going crazy and putting her all into them, and that’s a good part of her firing up sequence.

It’d be one thing if Nyla or Britt were selling them like them like Ishii’s chops, but they’re not.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I guess Riho isnt really for me. I liked Shida's offense much more.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Takuan posted:

Can we start calling Cornette "Jimmy Corncob" and make it a thing in the greater wrestling community.

I mean if anyone can appreciate calling someone you don't like a dismissive nickname it's old Jimmy Corncob.

I am all for this.

Can we get a thread title change to 'The Jimmy Corncob Experience'?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

stop acting like a corncob is bad because of some tweet

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned I say as I slowly turn into Jim Cornette."

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
ol’ Jimmy Cornhole

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I get wanting the moves to have more oomph but Riho is good at everything else too. So that's just nit picking.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

This is very sad, because Brian Zane was so good, and everybody made that comparison because "geeky guy as manager" - I can't wait for Jim to start poo poo-talking him on the podcast saying "he's a dweeb with a youtube following" and Zane just reminding him "he gets things wrong all the time"

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

stop acting like a corncob is bad because of some tweet

Cobvauro

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

http://www.greenproducts.com/greentru/why-corncob.aspx

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

This is very sad, because Brian Zane was so good, and everybody made that comparison because "geeky guy as manager" - I can't wait for Jim to start poo poo-talking him on the podcast saying "he's a dweeb with a youtube following" and Zane just reminding him "he gets things wrong all the time"
He had also gotten on Jim's good side originally for doing an (actually kind of lovely, but loving) impression of him. Yeah.

As much as my resolve was beaten down (I've unsubscribed from JCE), I did listen to Drive Thru to see how they handled the Justin Roberts thing. Answer: Jim pretending that he said nothing implying that Justin "looks like" a pedophile while Brian acted like it was just fans being shook and overprotective, with the implication being that it didn't bother Justin or his friends.Uh...let's just say that's not the case. That segment got weirder when Jim read an email from a fan—I think a cop turned PI who also had a criminal justice degree and was explaining, in liability terms, why saying what he said was a terrible idea—who was renouncing his "Cult of Cornette" membership over the Roberts "joke."

I should note, too, in the part of the last JCE where they took aim at his actual announcing, Corny's only actual comment about anything Justin did was "Why is he so Goddamn cheerful all the time?" and he suggested that AEW try to spend big money to get Bruce Buffer of all people. He also called Bruce the good Buffer. I know Michael was famously aloof and poo poo in WCW, but good lord, when I think "great ring announcers," I definitely think "guy who messes poo poo up at his job all the time." (Personally, I also don't understand the hate for Justin Roberts outside of the of how he says "John," anyway.)

Also, given the language parsing aspect of this topic, it has me wondering again if he genuinely thinks Marko Stunt is a child.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bruce really is the nicer of the two Buffers. He's big in pet adoption and hates fascists. Michael likes money and having sex.

And Justin Roberts could make announcing turds hitting the toilet bowl and it'd be the coolest.

And for comparison's sake, I thought Lillian Garcia was the worst wrestling announcer ever. And its just a tonality thing. She was very clear and calming. Not really what wrestling announcing should be: excited and anxious.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
jim cornette: miserable old bitch

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

WatermelonGun posted:

jim cornette: miserable old bitch

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the young bucks used to legitimately draw more people to their backyard wrestling fed than Jim could draw in some towns for smoky mountain

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

WatermelonGun posted:

jimmy corncob: miserable old bitch

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/ceehawk/status/1196936758363119618