Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

he doesn't because xcloud is expected to offer the same thing along with the crazy huge gamepass library

the only question is what xcloud pricing will be, since we already know stadia and psnow pricing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Streaming on Chromecast has always been a really good idea (at least in areas with good internet). A home run even. Google managed to gently caress it up by over-promising and loving up the launch. The messaging has been awful too - most people don't even realize you won't need a subscription in 2020.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So the goal now is to compete with the PS5? I thought the whole time this thing was supposed to compete with a high end PC?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I really don't understand why Stadia didn't just launch as a chrome extension. "Play the hottest games, right in your browser" is a simple sales pitch that makes sense. No hardware needed! But when it's all tied in to a "Chromecast Ultra", or a pixel phone, then you do kinda need hardware... so... why not just get a playstation if you need to buy hardware?...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

I really don't understand why Stadia didn't just launch as a chrome extension. "Play the hottest games, right in your browser" is a simple sales pitch that makes sense. No hardware needed! But when it's all tied in to a "Chromecast Ultra", or a pixel phone, then you do kinda need hardware... so... why not just get a playstation if you need to buy hardware?...

because it does 4k

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

leftist heap posted:

So the goal now is to compete with the PS5? I thought the whole time this thing was supposed to compete with a high end PC?

they should probably slow down because its barely competing with a ps4 pro

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

He should ask some guys at microsoft how many years it took to overcome a thorough public roasting of a product.

Or hell, ask Phil Harrison!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

The really odd thing is that Pixel sales across four generations are in the middle single-digit millions and the first generation just went out of support. I know that's a lot more consoles than anyone ever sold on launch day, but it seems like an odd limitation until you consider Google might have actually been worried it would look worse on non-stock Android.

This is shaping up to be the worst launch since the Saturn and only because the up-front cost isn't $400.

Klyith posted:

He should ask some guys at microsoft how many years it took to overcome a thorough public roasting of a product.

Or hell, ask Phil Harrison!
That's hardly fair since the XBox One could at least play a fighting or racing game at launch. Stadia... likely won't, ever.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 18, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

leftist heap posted:

Goalposts are easily moved in the cloud.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

quote:

“Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo. They’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top, then that one’s on top and on and on it spins...I'm not going to stop the wheel, I'm going to break the wheel.” -- Stadia Targaryen

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/06/07/can-we-talk-about-how-stadia-absolutely-nailed-its-pricing-model-opinion/

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Polo-Rican posted:

because it's run by loving idiots

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I made a crude-as-gently caress video to showcase what PSNow latency is like for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAV9IpgwRp8

I should probably make another with a loud clacky fight stick.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

univbee posted:

I made a crude-as-gently caress video to showcase what PSNow latency is like for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAV9IpgwRp8

*scribbles "has left hand with at least 1 thumb and finger" into notes*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Other people have speculated that the extremely restrictive requirements for hardware to run it at launch is due to google not having enough cloud servers to fit a wide launch. I think that's probably right. If everyone was seeing Stadia as it is now, and there were 30 minute queues to get a server before you could play, how much worse would the chatter be?

Probably the Pixel phones getting access as well is so:
1. There aren't that many Pixel phones out there, so it still restricts the audience especially when only a portion will try it
2. Google can throw a high-end phone at reviewers that they have to play on for the mobile testing, which has the best possible showing
3. As a thing for Pixel owners to feel good about since the Pixel 4 has gotten poo poo on by reviewers

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

pixaal posted:

But that doesn't evenly scale, 720p upscaled to 1440p looks great, and 1080p scaled to 4k looks great. It's not as good as native, but it looks better than trying to display 720p on a 1080p screen.
There's a bunch of ML driven upscalers for still imagery, and at least one for video. They do an OK job. But it's still worse than rendering the content in the final output resolution to begin with. Then add video compression on top of that, which fucks up anything the upscaling gave to begin with.

Also I don't see a point of upscaling client side, because you'll be amplifying the compression artifacts, which ought to be considerable, given this is one-pass realtime encoding.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a bit strange that Google (of all things) shouldn't have enough servers for something, though. They've made it their business to have a bunch of always available online services that are used by probably billions of people all day every day, after all.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Polo-Rican posted:

Now is the paid beta, real launch that doesn't require any hardware is next year.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lambert posted:

Now is the paid beta, real launch that doesn't require any hardware is next year.
Why would you ever do a paid beta for a free service? And don't say hardware because the whole point of this is low up-front cost.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a bit strange that Google (of all things) shouldn't have enough servers for something, though. They've made it their business to have a bunch of always available online services that are used by probably billions of people all day every day, after all.
State-less highly-compressible web services or pre-recorded video are the complete opposite end of what Stadia is asking those cloud servers to do in at least one dimension.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

pixaal posted:

But that doesn't evenly scale, 720p upscaled to 1440p looks great, and 1080p scaled to 4k looks great. It's not as good as native, but it looks better than trying to display 720p on a 1080p screen.

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at, but 2160p is exactly 9x 720p as well as 4x 1080p.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Stadia Targaryen

The more he played the more he shat. The more he shat the blurrier he got.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shumagorath posted:

Why would you ever do a paid beta for a free service? And don't say hardware because the whole point of this is low up-front cost.

If you can find chumps to pay you for it AND defend you on the internet, why wouldn't you?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

Because 15 years ago you didn't have a gmail account until 2 months after all your friends and you were so uncool!

There are plenty of nerds who want to have things before anyone else does and love some retail therapy. They are easy marks for this type of horseshit. And because the retail therapy is as important as the product itself, they don't even care that much when it is totally busted.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The real :pcgaming: experience.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Shumagorath posted:

State-less highly-compressible web services or pre-recorded video are the complete opposite end of what Stadia is asking those cloud servers to do in at least one dimension.
I suppose that's true, I just find it hard to imagine a corporation with the kind of revenue stream and technical experience that Google has to either be unable to buy enough servers or fail to correctly estimate how many they're actually going to need.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

What point? To get laughed at for one long year by the whole hardcore gaming community, the same community towards which Stadia was targeted at?

Cardiovorax posted:

I suppose that's true, I just find it hard to imagine a corporation with the kind of revenue stream and technical experience that Google has to either be unable to buy enough servers or fail to correctly estimate how many they're actually going to need.

4 seconds of input lag and stuttering is not a problem of servers.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

limaCAT posted:

4 seconds of input lag and stuttering is not a problem of servers.

Totally wrong. I have an inside source that Stadia is running on clusters of decommissioned Google Search Appliances.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
The only person that could save Stadia could be Elon Musk with Starlink, provided that 1) Starlink works as advertised, 2) it is released by 2020 as announced, 3) ISPs don't force Starlink out of every single market and 4) Musk does not screw up Google by throttling Stadia on it and 5) Musk as a philantrophist decides that it's ok if you want to just stream 40 gb of games per hour and does not put a data cap on it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

shadow puppet of a posted:

Totally wrong. I have an inside source that Stadia is running on clusters of decommissioned Google Search Appliances.

I'm the blood spatter on the right.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

limaCAT posted:

The only person that could save Stadia could be Elon Musk with Starlink, provided that 1) Starlink works as advertised, 2) it is released by 2020 as announced, 3) ISPs don't force Starlink out of every single market and 4) Musk does not screw up Google by throttling Stadia on it and 5) Musk as a philantrophist decides that it's ok if you want to just stream 40 gb of games per hour and does not put a data cap on it.

as someone who worked with satellite internet

lmao amazing joke pal

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

The more he played the more he shat. The more he shat the blurrier he got.
Guy forgets the bloodline was Search Targaryen, Gmail Targaryen, Maps Targaryen and a legion of inbred failsons. Maybe Youtube and Fitbit are Liana and Elia.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

lmao amazing joke pal

Because you believe that the other 4 points are surely happening, right?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

limaCAT posted:

Even I think you're batshit

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Then they probably should have marketed it as a beta. Instead they're going to get dragged by critics and consumers for a full year and go into the 2020 holiday season with one foot in the grave.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Imagine Elon musk trying to save this piece of poo poo tech by building an ISP around it instead of just admitting you're a colossal moron who bought something on the wispiest hot fart of a promise that was barely advertised.

I've never before seen such a product targeted at rube tunnel visioned gamers. It's like a honed in precision strike missile

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Trying to remember where in the final season of GoT this was and how hilariously apt that adapted quote turned out to be.

The $10 subscription gets funnier and funnier to me as we come to grips with the fact that what you are paying for is a lottery ticket to 4K 60fps gaming in a carnival midway that’s rigged such that many of the games can never pay out since the mighty hardware that Google is running this on is already inadequate for some games to hit the target.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cabbit posted:

Then they probably should have marketed it as a beta. Instead they're going to get dragged by critics and consumers for a full year and go into the 2020 holiday season with one foot in the grave.

They shouldn't have even had a "launch" in the first place, just low-key start selling games you can play in Chrome with any controller. THAT would be a loving grand slam.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao at this atrocious service. Cloud gaming loving sucks balls and google don't know how to market for poo poo. A winning combo!

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

lmao amazing joke pal

Don't worry, Google's predictive input only has to guess 4 seconds into the future to match those satellite response times!

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 19, 2019

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

With xCloud, Microsoft is essentially installing Xbox 1Ses into custom racks so I wonder if they'll do any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

shrike82 posted:

With xCloud, Microsoft is essentially installing Xbox 1Ses into custom racks so I wonder if they'll do any better.

The technology probably won't be better but it'll make far more sense as a supplementary option for an already-existing user base rather than as the sole method of operation that's starting from scratch.