Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They shouldn't have even had a "launch" in the first place, just low-key start selling games you can play in Chrome with any controller. THAT would be a loving grand slam.

idk. it would probably be even harder to convince developers & publishers that you aren't going to kill a product when the product has no name or press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

limaCAT posted:

The only person that could save Stadia could be Elon Musk with Starlink, provided that 1) Starlink works as advertised, 2) it is released by 2020 as announced, 3) ISPs don't force Starlink out of every single market and 4) Musk does not screw up Google by throttling Stadia on it and 5) Musk as a philantrophist decides that it's ok if you want to just stream 40 gb of games per hour and does not put a data cap on it.

lmbo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

limaCAT posted:

The only person that could save Stadia could be Elon Musk with Starlink, provided that 1) Starlink works as advertised, 2) it is released by 2020 as announced, 3) ISPs don't force Starlink out of every single market and 4) Musk does not screw up Google by throttling Stadia on it and 5) Musk as a philantrophist decides that it's ok if you want to just stream 40 gb of games per hour and does not put a data cap on it.

this is more delusional and pathetic than anything hostile apostle has posted in this thread

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

limaCAT posted:

bruh you just posted cringe

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I dunno if you would even want to claim Stadia's predictive input wrote that post.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Shumagorath posted:

I dunno if you would even want to claim Stadia's predictive input wrote that post.

leftist heap posted:

this is more delusional and pathetic than anything hostile apostle has posted in this thread

Taintrunner posted:

bruh you just posted cringe

If you think that is bad Y'all would not believe his taste in pizza toppings and bearded comedic actors

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Has anybody seen a gameplay video of Thumper on Stadia yet? That's honestly the one I'm most curious about.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

idk. it would probably be even harder to convince developers & publishers that you aren't going to kill a product when the product has no name or press.

It'd be better than this poo poo show. Just have a few games at first as proof of concept and give the library time to gore. If there's so little up-front cost you don't NEED a big launch day and lineup - just sell people on the service by making it good over an extended period.

But nope. Gotta make it as embarrassing as possible, I guess.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

uvar posted:

Has anybody seen a gameplay video of Thumper on Stadia yet? That's honestly the one I'm most curious about.

I feel like if you had to play thumper with any degree of lag you would die in real life.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So Stadia uses 20 gb of data for 4k video per hour. Outer Worlds is like 40 gigs. So for two hours of download, I could have the entire game on my hard drive.

Seriously, what are the environmental impacts of that?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

So Stadia uses 20 gb of data for 4k video per hour. Outer Worlds is like 40 gigs. So for two hours of download, I could have the entire game on my hard drive.

Are bits a limited resource now also?!

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Peachfart posted:

According to service providers and their data caps, yes?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Cemetry Gator posted:

Uh, doesn't really have any environmental impact to send some light over a fiber optic. Since the hardware is shared across many users, its resource usage is actually less.

Running that gaming PC GPU in your home isn't energy-free either. Google's servers are likely also more energy efficient.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Peachfart posted:

It's not about the bits, but the energy it takes to make those bits.

See Spotify. Here's an article briefly describing a study that was done. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.factmag.com/2019/04/09/streaming-music-emissions-study/amp/

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Google actually helps conserve energy even more by running RDR2 at 1440/30

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cemetry Gator posted:

See Spotify. Here's an article briefly describing a study that was done. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.factmag.com/2019/04/09/streaming-music-emissions-study/amp/

Nah man you just gotta push that poo poo through the tube, it's just light :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if stadia is supposed to compete with playstation 5, maybe they should do better than run Destiny 2, a game from 2016, at 1080p on medium settings (confirmed by bungie)

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah anyone who thinks running massive data centers and running a bunch of PCs/switches/etc 24/7 has no environmental impact is delusional.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

Uh, doesn't really have any environmental impact to send some light over a fiber optic. Since the hardware is shared across many users, its resource usage is actually less.

Running that gaming PC GPU in your home isn't energy-free either. Google's servers are likely also more energy efficient.

lol this is magic thinking. 4k video over fiber optic happens with no electricity? You are talking out of your rear end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what kills streaming for me, is not so much the lag, but that it's not consistent

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

uvar posted:

Google not sending out that or samshow to reviewers is a real sign of cowardice.

OTOH MK11 seemed to work ok (for people in san fransisco who are probably within a 15 minute drive of the server farm)

hostile apostle posted:

lol Vega GPUs were anything but energy efficient. AMD pushed them to Ludicrous Watts in desperate attempt to stay competitive.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Pathos posted:

Yeah anyone who thinks running massive data centers and running a bunch of PCs/switches/etc 24/7 has no environmental impact is delusional.

And the cost of running a PC or console in your home is? What about the production of all that waste that went into making that console packaging or the console itself and shipping it around?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
And what about the people that run their rigs off gasoline generators?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think the fact that stadia is running Destiny 2 at 1080p on medium settings and RDR2 at 1440p 30fps on medium settings is not getting enough chuckles

for a service that is supposed to be about the power of the cloud and providing an experience the Poor Gamer can't normally afford

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
To be fair that's Google's fault and has been from the start. Cloud gaming has always been about ease and convenience. Starting your press conference by comparing teraflops is just completely misunderstanding the market.

They should have just piggybacked off of the success of the Switch and shown numerous b-rolls of users seamlessly switching between gaming on their phone on the bus to gaming on their TV to gaming on their laptop when the wife wants to watch the new Grey's.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 19, 2019

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

The 7th Guest posted:

i think the fact that stadia is running Destiny 2 at 1080p on medium settings and RDR2 at 1440p 30fps on medium settings is not getting enough chuckles

for a service that is supposed to be about the power of the cloud and providing an experience the Poor Gamer can't normally afford

The stream is 4K/60, not the render

lmao

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

They managed to do that with many of their services through waiting lists for beta sign ups. Google practically invented the marketing move of the exclusive beta to build anticipation.

Instead, they chose to over promise while taking peoples money and failing to deliver a product on time.

Imagine a world where Stadia was an ultra exclusive they rolled out slowly over time. You signed up, they took no money. If you got in, you were eligible to buy a founders controller for a limited time. Maybe you could register for the beta as a clan, so that friends could play multiplayer together (since cross platform wasnt in). They sold it as 1080p gaming with no console but sometimes, people reported getting higher(!) resolutions.

Word spreads that the system works well if you have good Internet and hints at a future of console free 4k60 gaming, once the world gets its poo poo together with broadband. Surprise new features come online during the beta. Google remains tight lipped about future plans but people keep getting delighted. If any of the (announced in out world) features never happen, were none the wiser. We dont miss em.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 19, 2019

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

And the cost of running a PC or console in your home is? What about the production of all that waste that went into making that console packaging or the console itself and shipping it around?

Did you loving read the article, or is your head so far up Google's rear end that you're actually getting food before it hits the digestive system?

Music - the thing that comes in little plastic discs that are shipped to retailers has less ecological impact than Spotify does.

Also, hardware is still involved. LOL if you actually think Google won't try to sell you some physical doodad to play Stadia.

Also, keep in mind that to use Stadia, you have to use your PC/TV with a Chromecast. Now, yes, it's less power, but still, you're not cutting the PC out of the market.

But add onto that the thing running the game, the thing compressing the video stream, the thing shooting the data out, the thing receiving the data, and you're doing that at a high level anytime you play a game?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

quote:

Baseline Scenario: Of note, given that energy efficiency is not considered in this case and despite an increase in total installed base, total electricity consumption decreases by 6percent from 2016 levels. This is due to structural shifts in the installed base towards less energy-intensive gaming systems, that is, increased market share of consoles and declining electricity use among the newer consoles, as well as projected improvements in internet electricity. As in the 2016 baseline conditions, consoles remain the highest electricity-using component (in aggregate), followed closely by electricity use in associated networks and data centers. Efficiency options result in a 22 percent reduction in aggregate demand.

Surge in High-fidelity PC Gaming and Virtual Reality: The greatest demand growth from 2016 levels (114 percent) occurs through the Surge scenario, in which high-fidelity PC gaming becomes more popular and PC electricity use consequently comes to dominate the landscape. Meanwhile, network and cloud-based gaming electricity eclipses that of consoles. Efficiency options restrain the growth to 48 percent

Strong Uptake of Cloud-based Gaming: In the scenario where cloud-based gaming becomes wildly popular, overall computer gaming electricity demand grows by 17 percent. Aggregate network and data electricity is larger than that used locally by consoles or PCs. Efficiency options constrain the growth to 2 percent.

Shift to Consoles: Electricity demand declines by 18 percent in the scenario where consoles replace half of the more energy-intensive PCs. Consoles become the largest segment of electricity use, but in the context of lower combined demand across all gaming activity. Efficiency options reduce the demand by 28 percent. Other possible outcomes: A combination of increased cloud-based gaming and the transition to more PC gaming, could yield a far higher electricity demand trajectory around 11 TWh/year.

https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/2019publications/CEC-500-2019-042/CEC-500-2019-042.pdf

It took roughly 2 minutes of Googling to find

Cloud gaming is less efficient than the status quo and dramatically less efficient than consoles (and Google's offering is probably even worse than most). As for all the waste involved in packaging and shipping consoles, do you think server farms just grow out of the ground all around the world?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Did you loving read the article, or is your head so far up Google's rear end that you're actually getting food before it hits the digestive system?

Music - the thing that comes in little plastic discs that are shipped to retailers has less ecological impact than Spotify does.

Also, hardware is still involved. LOL if you actually think Google won't try to sell you some physical doodad to play Stadia.

Also, keep in mind that to use Stadia, you have to use your PC/TV with a Chromecast. Now, yes, it's less power, but still, you're not cutting the PC out of the market.

But add onto that the thing running the game, the thing compressing the video stream, the thing shooting the data out, the thing receiving the data, and you're doing that at a high level anytime you play a game?

Cool story, tell me more about when you played your vidya games on vinyl

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

Cool story, tell me more about when you played your vidya games on vinyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAVuvXlbs4Q

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

wonder how the number of hours listened in 2000 and now compares.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

leftist heap posted:

https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/2019publications/CEC-500-2019-042/CEC-500-2019-042.pdf

It took roughly 2 minutes of Googling to find

Cloud gaming is less efficient than the status quo and dramatically less efficient than consoles (and Google's offering is probably even worse than most). As for all the waste involved in packaging and shipping consoles, do you think server farms just grow out of the ground all around the world?

You no longer need a full desktop PC, which is where the real inefficiency comes from, anymore so where is the efficiency gain from that? Seems like a major oversight from that papers author.

Who has a desktop these days between gamers and olds? In the cloud gaming shift, you no longer need that desktop.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hostile apostle posted:

You no longer need a full desktop PC, which is where the real inefficiency comes from, anymore so where is the efficiency gain from that? Seems like a major oversight from that papers author.

Who has a desktop these days between gamers and olds? In the cloud gaming shift, you no longer need that desktop.

shut the gently caress up, dumbass

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

lmao it was only a few pages back that you were complaining nobody was engaging you in good faith.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hostile apostle posted:

People who are not gamers are the target audience for a service to play video games. Well, that explains a lot about stadia!

leftist heap posted:

lmao it was only a few pages back that you were complaining nobody was engaging you in good faith.

It was only a few pages ago that he was adamant that stadia would play games at far higher levels of quality than a console could achieve. :mmmhmm:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Amazed Apostle has time to post in this thread in between enjoying all the incredible experiences on their Google Stadia Founders Edition.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

why did google okay this in the first place? it's gotta be a massive investment for a risky undertaking.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 19, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

why did google okay this in the first place? it's gotta be a massive investment.
They're the most cash rich company in the world. They literally can't burn money quick enough. Apple decided to waste billions of dollars failing at premium streaming content production, Google decided to try and crack the gaming field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Cloud services are huge money makers. Not really a difficult pitch to dumbass executives about converting consumers from sporadic game purchasers to paying a monthly subscription service forever