Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
So last night I read Batman Universe and Superman Up in the Sky, and Batman by Bendis is great and so different from Daredevil, which is the reason anybody wanted him to write Batman.

Superman is basically all of the worst tendencies Tom King has wrapped into a story that really doesn't hang together at all.

But seriously, this page from Batman.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try Orlando's Wonder Woman this week?
It seems to just be wrapping up Wilson's storyline, so is there a point in trying it yet if you bailed on her run?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Event Leviathan was one of the most wet farts of an "event" I can think of in recent memories. 6 issues, several tie-ins*, and all that happens is we find out Leviathan (the guy) is an obscure older character, Lois' dad dies, and Talia Al Ghul retakes Leviathan (the organization)... except not really because after he escapes the guy is approached by people who tells him he's still in control and all the heroes were fools to think they'd won. So boorring. I don't know why I keep reading Bendis' Superman (and Superman related events), it's all either mediocre at best or outright bad, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

*And not even tie-ins for the right books! Batgirl disappears with them all the way back under in that year of the villain special making it look like she might have heel-turned and reappears in issue 4 saying she's been working to infiltrate them. saying that she was working with them in secret to destroy them from the inside and we never see it and no one questions it and the Batgirl book has not mentioned it before or since. jfc.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone try Orlando's Wonder Woman this week?
It seems to just be wrapping up Wilson's storyline, so is there a point in trying it yet if you bailed on her run?
I'd wait another month or so, to be honest. Unless you're desperately aching to watch WW fight Cheetah again for the fourth or fifth issue in a row.

The storyline has been...exacerbating, at this point.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, is it just finishing off Wilson's stuff, or is it Orlando's own start? I'm just going by what the solicit sounded like.
It's a six issue arc, so that's a while to wait.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

after he escapes the guy is approached by people who tells him he's still in control and all the heroes were fools to think they'd won.

That person is The Guardian so that's something-ish.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's not so much finishing off Wilson's arc as it is a direct continuation and, imo, kinda needlessly dragging it out. Wilson's arc felt finished to me. Cheetah was defeated and imprisoned on Themyscira. And then now she's just free again and wreaking havoc on the island, yay, just like Grail just got free and wreaked havoc on the island an arc or two ago. We just did this. It just feels really clumsy to me.

I dunno. Issue #750, the big one coming out in January, seems like a better time to jump back in.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Event Leviathan was one of the most wet farts of an "event" I can think of in recent memories. 6 issues, several tie-ins*, and all that happens is we find out Leviathan (the guy) is an obscure older character, Lois' dad dies, and Talia Al Ghul retakes Leviathan (the organization)... except not really because after he escapes the guy is approached by people who tells him he's still in control and all the heroes were fools to think they'd won. So boorring. I don't know why I keep reading Bendis' Superman (and Superman related events), it's all either mediocre at best or outright bad, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

*And not even tie-ins for the right books! Batgirl disappears with them all the way back under in that year of the villain special making it look like she might have heel-turned and reappears in issue 4 saying she's been working to infiltrate them. saying that she was working with them in secret to destroy them from the inside and we never see it and no one questions it and the Batgirl book has not mentioned it before or since. jfc.

About the only thing that it might have an effect on is shifting the status quo with all of the secret organizations they barely used in the first place. The really big ones taht were at all relevant to their implosion were Argus (since they were every writer's go-to for US gov't linked org to handle weird poo poo) and Spyral (everyone's go to for independent spy org handling superhero poo poo). The DEO was really only relevant for Supergirl. SHADE only existed for Frankenstien at this point and he only reappeared because SHADE imploded. Checkmate basically didn't exist after the OMAC series or something, I think. Kobra is the only other one I can think of that got blasted and that always blows up after a story arc because that's more or less their whole point. I don't recall any other org that got caught up, but it's more a less trying to shuffle the status quo in a questionable way.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Batman & The Outsiders and Justice League Odyssey are DC's undercover Really Good Team Books at the moment. I'm especially impressed at JLO's turnaround after spinning its wheels for a bit, but the latest arc is solid. BatO managing to keep Batman in the background and actually develop its cast needs to last as long as possible. And Ra's as a shadowy, deal-with-the-devil threat? Yes please!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I was pleasantly surprised by the Dark Multiverse Blackest Night. It wasn’t nearly as grimdark edgy as I expected.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheHan posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by the Dark Multiverse Blackest Night. It wasn’t nearly as grimdark edgy as I expected.

The ending was very amusing. Imagine: A universe descended from and inspired by Lobo

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Space Fish posted:

Batman & The Outsiders and Justice League Odyssey are DC's undercover Really Good Team Books at the moment. I'm especially impressed at JLO's turnaround after spinning its wheels for a bit, but the latest arc is solid. BatO managing to keep Batman in the background and actually develop its cast needs to last as long as possible. And Ra's as a shadowy, deal-with-the-devil threat? Yes please!

Yeah, BatO really turned things around once it started focusing on the team and less on the new OCs.

Also, I haven't really been following the DCeased stuff, but this cover for the new spinoff starting next year caught my eye for a very specific reason:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, DT backup account spotted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Nat posted:

Yeah, BatO really turned things around once it started focusing on the team and less on the new OCs.

Also, I haven't really been following the DCeased stuff, but this cover for the new spinoff starting next year caught my eye for a very specific reason:

Ohh Cass's old Batgirl outfit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

That person is The Guardian so that's something-ish.

That'd be something if it were a big shocking turn for a character currently being written but I can't remember Guardian being written in much of anything since Final Crisis. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's been here and there but if they want their shock stinger moment to be "Gasp! The good guy's gone bad!" they should choose a hero that's either been in the book before the end (for example Elongated Man, Question, and someone in a Deathstroke suit that isn't Slade for example if you don't want to interfere with any other characters with active books) or maybe at hero that's a little closer to A-list (just saying, there's like 3 green lanterns not currently in a book)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Feb solicits: https://www.newsarama.com/47882-dc-comics-february-2020-solicitations.html
The new Justice League team (for now?) is Robert Venditti and Doug Mahnke
DCeased follow-up focusing on villains
Bendis/Maleev Leviathan special one-shot
Bendis/Fraction/Rucka/Jody Houser Superman Villains special
Flash #750 special w/ various creators incl Johns and Wolfman
GMo GL starts up again
Amy Reeder's Amethyst starts
Nick Derrington is drawing the second arc of Batman/Superman
Si Spurrier apparently back on The Dreaming for at least an issue (edit: Huh. Apparently Wilson's first issue hadn't been solicited yet.)
David F Walker now co-writes Young Justice with Bendis

e: Ram V is co-writing this issue of JLD, then takes over from Tynion
https://twitter.com/therightram/status/1195403518665994248

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 15, 2019

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also Batman/Catwoman has not been solicited

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Feb solicits: https://www.newsarama.com/47882-dc-comics-february-2020-solicitations.html
The new Justice League team (for now?) is Robert Venditti and Doug Mahnke
DCeased follow-up focusing on villains
Bendis/Maleev Leviathan special one-shot
Bendis/Fraction/Rucka/Jody Houser Superman Villains special
Flash #750 special w/ various creators incl Johns and Wolfman
GMo GL starts up again
Amy Reeder's Amethyst starts
Nick Derrington is drawing the second arc of Batman/Superman
Si Spurrier apparently back on The Dreaming for at least an issue
David F Walker now co-writes Young Justice with Bendis

e: Ram V is co-writing this issue of JLD, then takes over from Tynion
https://twitter.com/therightram/status/1195403518665994248

I am currently re-reading Soule's Swamp Thing (which is excellent and everyone should read it) and was wondering what ever happened to Animal Man since Rebirth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Batman/Catwoman has not been solicited

King's said that they've pushed it back so Clay Mann can draw all of the issues.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Ugh, DT backup account spotted.
Awww. Did Darktitsanime get popped??? :ohdear:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Awww. Did Darktitsanime get popped??? :ohdear:

A while ago when some hosed up "lesbians just need some good dick" poo poo he said got brought up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

A while ago when some hosed up "lesbians just need some good dick" poo poo he said got brought up.

don't be ridiculous, that's not what happened

what happened was it came to light thanks to endorph i think that DT moderates an imageboard dedicated to the idea of lesbians being hosed straight by men.

completely different.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What a wonderful person

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He once posted that Jason Todd's fictional death by crowbar was the equivalent of an actual woman being raped.

gently caress him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Darth Nat posted:

While it probably takes place before the arks take off, I like to think Damien specifically left Jason Todd there.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
This month's Jimmy Olsen was wonderful. I was going to post some panels but there was a lot of lead up to most of the gags so you'll just have to trust me.

Dex-Starr is a good kitty.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Latest issue of Batman isn't going to win King any fans, especially with his extremely slow moving story arc, but I thought it was a touching tribute even though it took an entire issue to tell it. You could say the issue is everything that is wrong with King's run, and you wouldn't be wrong, but I liked it all the same.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I just wonder how many more poems or songs we would have been subjected to if he'd have gotten his additional 15 issues.

I guess we might find out in the Bat/Cat book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
People reviewing Watchmen: "By adding epigraphs from great literary works and songs into the book, Alan Moore elevates the comic book to literature."

Tom King: THE TIME HAS COME, THE WALRUS SAID, TO HOLD MY loving BEER

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

First there was Dr Seuss's "The Cat in the Hat"

Now...

Dr King's "The Bat in the Cat"

This joke just came to me so I had to post it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love Tom Kings work, but the poems and poo poo is like the type of stuff would make a comic a more serious piece of literature when I was a teenager. I probably have an old Myspace somewhere with pictures of Batman captioned with song quotes.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

First there was Dr Seuss's "The Cat in the Hat"

Now...

Dr King's "The Bat in the Cat"

This joke just came to me so I had to post it.

I laughed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

God I wish the interiors for Flash Forward looked even a quarter as good as the covers do.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This month's Jimmy Olsen was wonderful. I was going to post some panels but there was a lot of lead up to most of the gags so you'll just have to trust me.

Absolutely and completely incredible. I never expected to see Batman get so thoroughly annihilated.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Roth posted:

God I wish the interiors for Flash Forward looked even a quarter as good as the covers do.

If the comic had Shaner art it'd be a must buy because Shaner draws speedsters so dang well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think borrowing great poetry to illuminate parallels in your work can be a really good literary technique, but if it's undercooked the whole thing comes off as callow. King has great taste in poetry, but he usually fails to make his use of it feel integral or necessary to the stories he's using it for.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage feels great in print. Black Label's square format is larger than any digital format I could reasonably find and looks fantastic. Finally, print DC issues with no ads! I appreciate this take on Vic who'll save people and harshly judge them -- doubly appreciate that Vic's allies openly call out his rigid worldview while supporting his drive to save lives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC's old prestige format had no ads, was printed on glossy stock and was generally squarebound. I have a dozen or more of them on my bookshelf.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Question was great, and I am happy he gets a book again. Getting the 80s art team back is a nice touch (and always a good spin on not being able to get new talent at DC)

Between this and Last God, maybe Black Label won't just be for Batman and derivatives! :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I know the guy who is assisting Cowan on the art for the book (uncredited as usual). Dude can perfectly replicate Cowan's style and has drawn a lot of his credited work. I guess his hands are an ongoing issue for him so he farms out the work.