Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Holdo is like Hillary in that she had no plan and lots of people died, and the bad guys won

more 👏 women 👏 in 👏 charge 👏 of 👏 being 👏decimated 👏 by 👏 nazis

sponges posted:

I wonder if it was deliberate. Like see how TFA is received and just go from there? Maybe?

If there's any answer to this, I think it's ultimately that good things take time and the disney star wars machine started in a big loving hurry. The suits wanted the star wars investment to start printing money as soon as humanly possible and waiting for a good and polished script with a thought out plan for future films was not on the table. There was probably also a (perhaps justified) belief that the IP would carry them through a period of rushed material while things spun up to a point of producing "quality". If you ever listen to JJ talk about TFA (don't recommend it though) he basically just says the movie was rushed over and over in different ways

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Holdo had a plan. Her plan was that no one in the first order would look out the window

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Boba Fett’s Corvette finally gets paid off in Episode IX.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

more 👏 women 👏 in 👏 charge 👏 of 👏 being 👏decimated 👏 by 👏 nazis

If there's any answer to this, I think it's ultimately that good things take time and the disney star wars machine started in a big loving hurry. The suits wanted the star wars investment to start printing money as soon as humanly possible and waiting for a good and polished script with a thought out plan for future films was not on the table. There was probably also a (perhaps justified) belief that the IP would carry them through a period of rushed material while things spun up to a point of producing "quality". If you ever listen to JJ talk about TFA (don't recommend it though) he basically just says the movie was rushed over and over in different ways

What’s insane is that THIS is the franchise that’s rushed. They could’ve tapped dozens of people or metres of EE stories but instead it’s slap shot and rough shod. How is this franchise only slightly more organised than loving x-men?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I legitimately find the the relatively benign assertion that Holdo should have explained her plan to Poe like has some entitlement to know kind of icky.

A lot of Last Jedi is about deconstructing the unhealthy notion of a chosen one: Luke's depression because he can't reconcile a moment of weakness with his reputation as the savior of the galaxy or Kylo trying to shove his anger and abusiveness into a hero's journey. Poe's story is one of humility, one where he learns that he's not necessarily the hero of the story and that there are bigger things than him.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
He deserves an explanation because he's a commanding officer on board the ship that's currently under attack.

And the movie itself kind of forgets that if he hadn't ordered the bombers to attack the dreadnaught, it would have followed them and killed them all.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Holdo on her own isn't necessarily the problem, the problem is in the context that The Force Awakens is a movie that exists purely in the liminal headspace of post-obama, pre-trump liberals, and The Last Jedi is in many ways an angry response to that headspace getting absolutely loving curbstomped by the ugly boot of reality. Hux, Ren, and Snoke were supposed to be these useless, impotent clowns that couldn't pose a threat to real people, just the extras, but then their real-world counterparts took control of the American government and destroyed the status quo. So you have to show that you're loyal to the leadership, refuse to admit the failure of your ideology, and we world be at brunch right now if all these loving hot headed berniebros ace pilots had just known their loving place instead of going out and actually done what people wanted. Holdo is not "a subversion of movie heroism by injecting real world hierarchical structure," she's a representation of the old establishment scold demanding respect for previous acts without feeling the need to respect in turn.

E: the game is really given away by the fact that of the four named antagonists in The Force Awakens, the only one with actual teeth is Kylo. Hux, Phasma, and Snoke are respectively a white supremacist, a cop, and a businessman, and all three of those are forces accepted as normal parts of societal functioning in American liberal democracy, so they all ultimately either amount to nothing (snoke) or are revealed as a paper tiger of no real threat to the heroes (Hux, phasma). But Kylo? TFA Kylo is an ersatz school shooter, the evil that comes home, the 21st century boogeyman who's gonna kill your precious children. He's the only one of the four that doesn't "fit" in liberal America, and he's the only one who is seen as approaching a real threat by the narrative.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 19, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

He deserves an explanation because he's a commanding officer on board the ship that's currently under attack.
He was just demoted, she's in charge, and she is really transparent about why she's not interested in him being involved. It's also important to note that Poe's sexism isn't subtextual. He has a passing respect for Holdo's reputation, and only questions her based on how she appears.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does he mention anything about her appearance at any point?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does he mention anything about her appearance at any point?
Yes. His first reaction to her is implicit respect for her reputation followed by "Not what I expected."

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The funny thing about the "Holdo's Secret Plan" debate is that Holdo eventually tells Poe half of her plan. Holdo's full plan is that they can cloak the shuttles for a little bit and hide out in the mine while the First Order flies right on by. Holdo, though, only tells Poe the part of the plan where they fly out into space in undefended shuttles. That's actually what prompts the coup. We can fight all day about whether Holdo was right to keep Poe out of the loop after his demotion, but it's undebatable that if she was going to fill Poe in she should have told him the whole plan and not just the part that was stupid and didn't make any sense. I'm willing to be corrected on this, but I don't think there was ever a reason given for Holdo just leaving the main part of the plan out.

Also, I think the "lesson of humility" that Poe is supposed to learn is really insidious. It's not humility that Poe is meant to learn, but submission. Poe's not supposed to question authority, even when the people in charge don't respect you and say things that don't make sense. TLJ creates a scenario where Poe's disobedience leads to disaster, but in reality it's those with authority that should hold accountable, not just some grunts.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 19, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

pospysyl posted:

The funny thing about the "Holdo's Secret Plan" debate is that Holdo eventually tells Poe half of her plan. Holdo's full plan is that they can cloak the shuttles for a little bit and hide out in the mine while the First Order flies right on by. Holdo, though, only tells Poe the part of the plan where they fly out into space in undefended shuttles. That's actually what prompts the coup. We can fight all day about whether Holdo was right to keep Poe out of the loop after his demotion, but it's undebatable that if she was going to fill Poe in she should have told him the whole plan and not just the part that was stupid and didn't make any sense. I'm willing to be corrected on this, but I don't think there was ever a reason given for Holdo just leaving the main part of the plan out.
No and it was stupid

He could have actually helped her or made the plan more successful but he wasn’t told everything

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Holdo is coded like the Rebels in Rogue One who were down with surrendering to the Empire and stuff, which no one ever really mentions, either.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes. His first reaction to her is implicit respect for her reputation followed by "Not what I expected."

This is so dumb, dude. Holdo is wearing what amounts to an evening gown on the bridge of a starship where virtually everyone else is wearing military uniforms. In fact, I feel pretty safe in saying that she's the only character except Leia, who is a political leader and figurehead, to do so. Even Leia, with her overcoat-esque cloak and dark colors brings to mind a revolutionary leader (in-exile or otherwise). Is Lieutenant Connix suffering from internalized misogyny, too?

People draw comparisons to Mon Mothma, but she was also a political leader giving a high-level strategic briefing to a massive organization at its height. I doubt she was wearing that during the Battle of Endor. I doubt she was even at the battle. Princess Leia doesn't go around in her white robes during battle situations. Holdo showing up in that clothing during a crisis situation is flat out weird and bizarre. You've got all these dusty, dirty grunts who're shocked and mourning after a devastating engagement... and here comes Admiral Holdo, who looks like she's just come back from an evening ball.

"Not what I expected" is positively benign.

It's weird that Poe wouldn't have any idea what Admiral Holdo would look like anyway - the Resistance is not a big organization, and there can't be too many flag officers within it!

SolarFire2 posted:

And the movie itself kind of forgets that if he hadn't ordered the bombers to attack the dreadnaught, it would have followed them and killed them all.

Pretty much. Poe is seemingly the ranking pilot and presumed CAG of all remaining fighter pilots in the Resistance. People acting like he has no right to know are just absurd. You'd think he'd be the person to involve given her plan involves shuttles, people to fly them, and so on.

It's funny, too, if you look at the novel. When the First Order fleet shows up, Poe goes to detail his plan of attack to Leia, who actively tells him not to bother her with it and do what he thinks is best. But then I guess she gets cold feet and demotes him when people start to die? Even in the film, Poe had to surely get some level of clearance to launch all those bombers and fighters. And it's ignoring that by the time Leia tells him to retreat, the enemy TIEs are already out and the bombers are slow as poo poo and vulnerable. It also ignores that the cruiser could just jump away and the Rebel fighters could jump away, too, given how they've always had hyperdrives.

The need for the fighters to come back before they could jump is just another thing Johnson lifted wholesale from Battlestar Galactica without trying to make it work in Star Wars.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 19, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The debate over Holdo’s Plan is a red herring because, even though the plan is objectively bad (she could have, at any point, instantly sent a team to activate the radio using the hyperspace pod(s)), it’s a distraction from the context that the Resistance are basically Contras. Arguing over who should lead them is pointless.

Because of franchise thinking, everyone ignores that The Last Jedi opens with an assault on an isolated military base. A nonzero number of people in the audience are watching this as their first-ever Star Wars film. So: what is expressed here? Why are we to support this military base?

(Why doesn’t the base have anti-aircraft shields when those were evidently standard issue 40 years earlier? Why don’t they have a radio?)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The debate over Holdo’s Plan is a red herring because, even though the plan is objectively bad (she could have, at any point, instantly sent a team to activate the radio using the hyperspace pod(s)), it’s a distraction from the context that the Resistance are basically Contras. Arguing over who should lead them is pointless.

Because of franchise thinking, everyone ignores that The Last Jedi opens with an assault on an isolated military base. A nonzero number of people in the audience are watching this as their first-ever Star Wars film. So: what is expressed here? Why are we to support this military base?

(Why doesn’t the base have anti-aircraft shields when those were evidently standard issue 40 years earlier? Why don’t they have a radio?)

Not that this hasn't been pointed out before, but it's really notable how grounded the first two trilogies are in political conflicts with extremely clear real world analogues (democracy falling into despotism and insurgency/civil war). What is the ST even depicting? The closest thing seems to be Weimar Germany but, like, really dumb.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s like Saturday morning GI Joe vs Cobra levels of bad jingoism, but in favor of the political machine that wages war in general rather than commenting on any specific ideology.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

well why not posted:

What’s insane is that THIS is the franchise that’s rushed. They could’ve tapped dozens of people or metres of EE stories but instead it’s slap shot and rough shod. How is this franchise only slightly more organised than loving x-men?
And for their efforts, they were rewarded with a massive ROI with TFA. Nearly $2b, right?

Out of their 4 movies, only Solo was a mis step in terms of returns.

I personally think their movies have been underwhelming in most measurable regards, but for what matters to Disney as a corporation and it's interests, half assing the franchise is a success.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ruddiger posted:

It’s like Saturday morning GI Joe vs Cobra levels of bad jingoism, but in favor of the political machine that wages war in general rather than commenting on any specific ideology.

Imagine the Gi Joe episode the weekend after an IRL Cobra Commander did 9/11 and you'd have a good analog to The Last Jedi.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 19, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

This is so dumb, dude. Holdo is wearing what amounts to an evening gown on the bridge of a starship where virtually everyone else is wearing military uniforms. In fact, I feel pretty safe in saying that she's the only character except Leia, who is a political leader and figurehead, to do so. Even Leia, with her overcoat-esque cloak and dark colors brings to mind a revolutionary leader (in-exile or otherwise). Is Lieutenant Connix suffering from internalized misogyny, too?
It is sexist to judge lady in the workplace for wearing lady clothes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

People draw comparisons to Mon Mothma, but she was also a political leader giving a high-level strategic briefing to a massive organization at its height. I doubt she was wearing that during the Battle of Endor. I doubt she was even at the battle. Princess Leia doesn't go around in her white robes during battle situations. Holdo showing up in that clothing during a crisis situation is flat out weird and bizarre. You've got all these dusty, dirty grunts who're shocked and mourning after a devastating engagement... and here comes Admiral Holdo, who looks like she's just come back from an evening ball.

Do you think Mon Mothma, who stays aboard the ship, put on some camo pants and a tactical vest during the space battle of Endor?

Do you think that during the space battle above Yavin that Leia simply didnt have any extra fatigues to change into?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Its unprofessional as gently caress.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's actually loving insane just how good Respawn takes all of the dreck from the Prequels like Order 66 and turns it into an actually engaging plot tool by cutting out all the bullshit and focusing on a limited range of characters you might actually care about, instead of a lovely montage including sexy midriff Twilek Jedi-lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7oFeDJpUaI

It's not amazing or perfect per se, but base competency is like a breath of fresh air after all these years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So is Fallen Order's story actually good? I get bored so fast thinking that I have to play as a generic white guy Jedi.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

kills me dead every time

He forgot to make a joke

Classic CAD problem

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Do you think Mon Mothma, who stays aboard the ship, put on some camo pants and a tactical vest during the space battle of Endor?

Do you think that during the space battle above Yavin that Leia simply didnt have any extra fatigues to change into?

I'd assume Mon Mothma, being purely a civilian leader, didn't give any orders during the battle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Leia wasn't a military member until Empire after which she wore military clothing. They put Holdo in a flowing dress because they were trying to evoke something from the previous films they failed to understand. She could very well be a civilian leader in charge of the fleet though, that could have been more interesting.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Timeless Appeal posted:

Do women in the military wear 'lady clothes?'

No?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Was Leia participating in the battle and giving orders?

No?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

She's a military officer. She's supposed to be wearing a uniform unless the Resistance has Casual Fridays.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SimonCat posted:

She's a military officer. She's supposed to be wearing a uniform unless the Resistance has Casual Fridays.

TLJ is a fictional movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General solo wore an army uniform in ROTJ

(He didn’t)

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

TLJ is a fictional movie.

Oh, so it doesn't have to have consistent internal logic?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

General solo wore an army uniform in ROTJ

(He didn’t)

Solo is a "captain" in the sense that Jack Sparrow is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SimonCat posted:

Oh, so it doesn't have to have consistent internal logic?

The picture you posted isn’t from a Star Wars movie

Not sure what this point is you are making

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SimonCat posted:

Solo is a "captain" in the sense that Jack Sparrow is.

No he was a General like Holdo is an Admiral

Also Jedi generals don’t wear uniforms. General Kenobi didn’t wear a uniform

Also maybe Holdos outfit is a uniform in her culture?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

The picture you posted isn’t from a Star Wars movie

Not sure what this point is you are making

It's a picture of a woman who is an officer in the Navy. She looks professional and that she belongs on the bridge of a ship. If she was wearing an evening dress no one would assume she was in the command structure. I used a picture of an actual uniform as it was easier to find.

Have you even been following the conversation?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Also maybe Holdos outfit is a uniform in her culture?

What culture is she from?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Holdo doesn’t look professional now ?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Holdo doesn’t look professional now ?

No, she doesn't.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SimonCat posted:

No, she doesn't.

Lmao. That’s what I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

Also Jedi generals don’t wear uniforms. General Kenobi didn’t wear a uniform

Yes they do. It's their robes. Because they are warrior monks.

Sequel defenders are so dumb lmfao