Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CommieGIR posted:

We looked at Defender, we like it, but yeah pricing was kinda sharply steep considering their just enering the market.

We are looking at CarbonBlock and Crowdstrike, and Crowdstrike is looking more likely to be ahead of the pricing/feature curve. We just signed Deepwatch/Splunk for SIEM/MSS.

We're corporate enough these days that I had to lean heavily gartner bullshit for vendor justifications since there are so many offerings out there, but CrowdStrike is up there along with Sophos, Trend, and Eset. Wouldn't mind kicking the tires on carbon black but I doubt I will have enough time unless they want to sweep in with a really competitive bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol 3des isn't broken its just slow as hell today, the problem is going to be in the non-ephemeral rsa key exchange
According to NIST it'll be disallowed, not just deprecated, in 2023 - so it shouldn't be implemented for anything new, and existing 3DES uses should be moved to something else within four years.

EDIT: And again, according to NIST, 3DES has an effective key length of 80, which is no longer considered secure - which is similar to how SHA1 is no longer considered secure because its effective key length is also below 80.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 18, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

No, that's 2DES which was fundamentally broken from day one because you could attack it from both the plaintext and ciphertext ends as those rounds used the same key. It was a terrible idea and it was almost never used, the world jumped from DES to 3DES. 3DES has a effective key strength of 112bit and in practical terms is just as strong as AES-128

quote:

Federal applications shall only use three distinct keys whenever using TDEA for applying cryptographic protection after December 31, 2015; see Table 2 in Section 5.6.1 and [SP800- 131A] for further guidance.

Still permitted until 2030

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 18, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

2DES is only as strong as single DES, and 3DES is as strong as 2DES, if it weren't broken.

Meet-in-the-middle attack y'all.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

No, that's 2DES which was fundamentally broken from day one because you could attack it from both the plaintext and ciphertext ends as those rounds used the same key. It was a terrible idea and it was almost never used, the world jumped from DES to 3DES. 3DES has a effective key strength of 112bit and in practical terms is just as strong as AES-128

It's also 3DES with key 1 = key 3, the most common configuration. Here, the actual key size is 112 bits, but you can do the same meet in the middle attack as in 2DES, reducing the effective key size to 80 bits. With 3 keys, you have 3 * 56 bits, but again meet in the middle brings you down to 112 bits.

The difference between 112 and 128 bits is a factor 65536, or just enough to protect you short term on a nearly broken cipher (assuming DES takes the same time as AES, which I am fairly certain isn't the case).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Still permitted until 2030

What about this section?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, you can't stand up a new application that encrypts with 3des after 2023 and you have until 2030 for existing stuff to spin it down and move it to AES or whatever is newer. And you wouldn't want do since its slow as poo poo compared to any AES option because every processor supports aes-ni now.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
seems like it's been a bad day for offshore banking
https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1195947063990771715
from what I can tell this is part Panama papers, part massive theft

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Heavy_D posted:

You left out the best part

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it’s not the Panama Papers until some reporters get murdered.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I do think another encryption mechanism that's not even remotely related to Rijndael but able to be accelerated in hardware like it would be a good idea.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Heavy_D posted:

Ahaha they used psr.exe to capture screenshots/keystrokes, that's brilliant. I love these writeups of J Random Hacker that are just like 'yeah I used metasploit and some googling' but it's fun gems like this that I appreciate.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

stay strong, gay skeleton hacker :skeltal:

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
any folks here have a good link or something for a college student asking "maybe i want a career in security?" (other than "no dont", "buy a million alcohol", "you will want to die", etc)

i have a lot of deep dive stuff on specific topics, but all the high level stuff i turn up is from poo poo like "mynewcodingcareer.biz"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stabby McDamage posted:

any folks here have a good link or something for a college student asking "maybe i want a career in security?" (other than "no dont", "buy a million alcohol", "you will want to die", etc)

i have a lot of deep dive stuff on specific topics, but all the high level stuff i turn up is from poo poo like "mynewcodingcareer.biz"

I don't think you want to start in security. You start doing some other type of software or IT work, and end up in security.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think you want to start in security. You start doing some other type of software or IT work, and end up in security.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Twerk from Home posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fundamentally security is not something you bolt on, it has to be integral to whatever system it is in question

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Twerk from Home posted:

that is how i started, but, personal opinion:

getting people with non standard backgrounds into security is useful and productive for those of us already in security.

all else being equal i'd rather hire someone who has a good security mindset ("doing things that way seems dangerous, here's why i think that!", or "what happens if someone puts something you don't expect here?", etc) vs someone who has 5 years of experience writing ansible playbooks or lovely flask apps or whatever.

Stabby McDamage posted:

to answer this question: yes i gotcha.
https://tisiphone.net/2015/10/12/starting-an-infosec-career-the-megamix-chapters-1-3/

^^ this woman is rad. there's a bunch of good stuff all over her blog, but if you just want the "what is each job role kinda like give me more context" then you want the next post in the series:
https://tisiphone.net/2015/11/08/starting-an-infosec-career-the-megamix-chapters-4-5/

Jowj fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 18, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

An almost more important question is how does that student want to spend their day to day life on the job. Lots of ways to “be in security” from academia to dev to consulting to just doing math all day. But if you know you don’t want to code all day or that you value in person group work, that is really helpful when trying to find a career path that works for you.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Stabby McDamage posted:

My dude, have you heard of Bitcoin?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Jowj posted:

that is how i started, but, personal opinion:

getting people with non standard backgrounds into security is useful and productive for those of us already in security.

all else being equal i'd rather hire someone who has a good security mindset ("doing things that way seems dangerous, here's why i think that!", or "what happens if someone puts something you don't expect here?", etc) vs someone who has 5 years of experience writing ansible playbooks or lovely flask apps or whatever.

https://tisiphone.net/2015/10/12/starting-an-infosec-career-the-megamix-chapters-1-3/

^^ this woman is rad. there's a bunch of good stuff all over her blog, but if you just want the "what is each job role kinda like give me more context" then you want the next post in the series:
https://tisiphone.net/2015/11/08/starting-an-infosec-career-the-megamix-chapters-4-5/

Thanks, that's absolutely perfect!

Trabisnikof posted:

An almost more important question is how does that student want to spend their day to day life on the job. Lots of ways to “be in security” from academia to dev to consulting to just doing math all day. But if you know you don’t want to code all day or that you value in person group work, that is really helpful when trying to find a career path that works for you.

For context, I work with a lot of masters students with very little conception of what a computing career can be beyond "do software". They all want to work at Facebook/Apple/Google/Amazon/etc with a vague notion of programming, and if you ask what sort of programming, they just say "backend" or "frontend" (not realizing that they're just referring to web and not the rest of all of computing). I'm trying to get them to see that computing is actually broad and diverse and that most jobs you'd want are ones you've never heard of yet. As one part of this, I'm trying to introduce students to a variety of different areas, one of which is security, but it was difficult, because security has a larger-than-average shrieking buzzword mill surrounding it, which makes finding good introduction stuff hard.

Incidentally, I also teach intro security, and this thread is the best thing ever for that. If YOSPOS ever goes away, getting a constant stream of secfucks to jam into my course is going to become actual work.

Like, every year I tell students that Symantec is trash, and every year there's a new insane vulnerability posted here within a week or two of me saying that that reinforces my point.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Edit: Wasn't on the last page

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 19, 2019

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

strong candidate for new sa emote

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:ck5:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

:skeltal:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I got into security nearly accidentally, I was a huge tinkerer and loved breaking and fixing things, but I started in IT as a Unix guy, and then got introduced to doing CTF events, then Red Teaming, then Blue Teaming.

Only thing Id say is it helps to know a little about each part of IT go see the big picture of infrastructure and how security and its controls fit into it.

I just came back from coaching Red Teams at a DOE event. We had a ton of fun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks for the crop, now it's a gang tag

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

so the wife is currently evaluating some third-party service for where she works. her login wasn't working so they reset her password and told her that it was probably because she had a space in her previous password. after replying with a polite version of "wait what" they said "oh no you see it's okay because we encrypt your password before storing it in the database. but of course we can also decrypt that password"

:allears:

what do spaces get rot13-ed to?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

security fuckup megathread: be gay, do crimes

Achmed Jones posted:

thanks for the crop, now it's a gang tag

nice

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jowj posted:

Lesley is the lick

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sereri posted:

so the wife is currently evaluating some third-party service for where she works. her login wasn't working so they reset her password and told her that it was probably because she had a space in her previous password. after replying with a polite version of "wait what" they said "oh no you see it's okay because we encrypt your password before storing it in the database. but of course we can also decrypt that password"

A dash? Why would that matter?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

security fuckup megathread: be gay, do crimes

this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this emote is haraam

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

she should suggest that they use rot180 as in rotate 180 degrees and get the gently caress out of here

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

We're corporate enough these days that I had to lean heavily gartner bullshit for vendor justifications since there are so many offerings out there, but CrowdStrike is up there along with Sophos, Trend, and Eset. Wouldn't mind kicking the tires on carbon black but I doubt I will have enough time unless they want to sweep in with a really competitive bid.

wait, the company that trump keeps going on about is... an antivirus company? lomarf

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

so the schizophrenic guy from last month is back with 3 new gmail accounts spamming a bunch of people with his pdf "book" that he appended another 400 pages to. great poo poo, love to deal with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

so the schizophrenic guy from last month is back with 3 new gmail accounts spamming a bunch of people with his pdf "book" that he appended another 400 pages to. great poo poo, love to deal with it

i have to do a big report and i wish i could do just 10 pages. writing is hard :(