Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Even by length you can’t really compare Gervais to mauler, mauler makes like twice as long stuff with a fraction of the insight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Alaois posted:

i feel like mandalore managed to get across what makes Pathologic brilliant with 2 videos that are each about 20 minutes long

yeah I'm gonna skip this one, sry hbomb

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if nobody watches that Face Full of Eyes video i just want to bring up a thesis statement from it I find particularly relevant in these days of media analysis, and that is Symbolism Is Not Depth

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah I'm gonna skip this one, sry hbomb

i would also recommend just reading this blog post that i feel very accurately captures what makes Pathologic special

https://beesmygod.tumblr.com/post/188755246670/i-am-playing-pathologic-2-review

Alaois fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 19, 2019

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Alaois posted:

i feel like mandalore managed to get across what makes Pathologic brilliant with 2 videos that are each about 20 minutes long
Is he still signal boosting the 4chan irony racist though?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Watching Noah it makes me wonder if games are really as clever and insightful as he analyzes or if it's just a big coincidence.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Noah makes extremely long videos but he manages to actually assess the games he's reviewing as coherent texts. Mauler is like a weird mix of a channel awesome angry reviewer and sargon of akkad and all he does is give simple plot summaries while pausing and yelling at minor details

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Nyx Fears seems a lot happier in her videos now and I’m really happy for her, but man her new videos has a lot of not funny goofing around in them

The good parts are still really good tho and I’d much rather have happy awkward than depressed concise

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Noah and Hbomb aren't dumping twitch vods with a custom thumbnail that overviews something trendy they fully address on 10% of a 6 to 8 hour vid + mostly try to make the content something you can follow on your time. So a VHS tape you can rewind and check for segments vs a whole radio program one listens to on their commute or whatever one does that requires background chatter.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Eschenique posted:

Watching Noah it makes me wonder if games are really as clever and insightful as he analyzes or if it's just a big coincidence.

A lot of them certainly try to be, and I appreciate Noah's work for celebrating that. As works of art, most video games awkwardly bolt together a system with a story, music and graphics and call it a day. There are very few games that really take advantage of the medium and produce a piece that is using the medium cleverly and not just trying to make a movie.

Stanley Parable, Gone Home, Her Story and Passage are four that get it right. I wouldn't call them the best games, but they are the best artistically imo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sarcopenia posted:

Is he still signal boosting the 4chan irony racist though?

highly doubt it, he's buddies with Joseph Anderson now

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

highly doubt it, he's buddies with Joseph Anderson now
I just checked and he still has the ss dude who uses the words retard, trap and referers to patron as "giving him shekels" in his recommended channels.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Eschenique posted:

Noah found the glimmer of worth in Clive Barker's Jericho, so he can work wonders.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
"Long critique does not equal good critique."

*later*

"Long critique is good critique, but it hinges on who making the video."

Outside of HBomb, Mauler, Anderson, and Gervais, there's lots of other people who have done long videos on games.

Here's one video on TESIV: Oblivion that's five hours long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4-9G47uF0

Here's a Fallout 4 video that's three hours long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRUy_VVD1vQ

Many A True Nerd put out on Fallout 76 that's two-and-a-half hours long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W31mxU9s6MI

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the topic of long videos, I dread Joseph Andersons Witcher video.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

"Long critique does not equal good critique."

*later*

"Long critique is good critique, but it hinges on who making the video."

Outside of HBomb, Mauler, Anderson, and Gervais, there's lots of other people who have done long videos on games.

Here's one video on TESIV: Oblivion that's five hours long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4-9G47uF0

Here's a Fallout 4 video that's three hours long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRUy_VVD1vQ

Many A True Nerd put out on Fallout 76 that's two-and-a-half hours long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W31mxU9s6MI

The urge to make 1+ hour long videos must be some kind of infectious madness, good god

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Archer666 posted:

Someone needs to set up some kind of youtube-editors-for-hire company goddamn. I'd rather just play the game myself than listen to a 2 hour video on it.

Hbomb has an editor, her name is Shannon Strucci and she has her own channel as well. (Her Fake Friends series is the reason every dipshit online moved to using "parasocial relationships" as an insult instead of just calling people white Knights)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

The urge to make 1+ hour long videos must be some kind of infectious madness, good god

I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is to appease ~The Algorithm~ in some manner.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I am always hype for long videos from some people, like InnuendoStudios.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

Noah found the glimmer of worth in Clive Barker's Jericho, so he can work wonders.

I never played that game but I looked up videos of it and it looks amazing and fun.

I like the part where in the middle of some lovecraftian apocalypse tornado. After having fought the legions of hell. The priest asks the girl if she wants to pray with him and she goes "Sorry I'm an atheist"

I feel sorry for Clive Barker because he was a really early adopter of games as art and he got burned pretty badly trying his hand at video games.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 19, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Archer666 posted:

Oh I'm just going purely by length and not by the content. Content wise Noah tends to be more insightful and actually have a point while Mauler just makes a million points and occasionally stumbles onto something good.

I prefer DS1 -> Bloodborne -> DS2 =DS3

I still love all the games a lot, but DS2 and 3 just don't click that well with me.

DS1 is the one I have trouble getting into. It's obviously great, but it never clicked for me. Meanwhile Demon's Souls is the one that got me into the series and Boletaria remains one of my favourite video game worlds, Bloodborne is brilliant and DS2 was just plain fun.

I haven't played much of DS3 but I'm also liking it better than 1 so far.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The secret to hour-long videos is that there are ones engaging enough to keep you watching and enjoying them but it's not because the creator has figured out what the secret to entertaining 2 hour videos are but rather because it appeals to you personally in some way.

Like I generally enjoyed Gervais take on the IE games, or HBomb's Dark Souls stuff (even when he's really wrong) but that's because they're about games that I really enjoy. I've watched other long-form content for poo poo that I'm invested in as well. On the other hand I've never had an ounce of interest in Pathologic or games of its genre(s) so you cannot pay me to watch a 2 hour video on that. Same for uh...the Red Dead series video that is apparently the last thing NCG uploaded. Although that is 4! hours so I might not have bothered anyway...sure hope he has timestamped chapters in the description of that monstrosity.

E: And like, that's fine and all but also I kinda feel like the people who are really invested in Pathologic to the point of wanting to watch a 2 hour video are probably not the people who need Pathologic explained to them. Same for the videos I mentioned above. For me at least it's like the video equivalent of comfort food, it might not be healthy or exciting or something you're proud to admit to consuming but it does feel good I guess.

E: Sorry forgot IE was actually Chris Davis. I get them + Joseph Anderson mixed up all the time, they all do long-form gaming videos that I rarely watch and have voices that don't super stand out to me.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 19, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I didn't have interest in the Red Dead video for the same reasons.

Think I've watched every other video of Noah's though. 4 hour video with half of it about a game I actively hated after playing? No thanks.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I’ve never touched a red dead game and I loved that video :shrug:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's the first time I'd thought about GUN since the Gamecube days so I'll give the video that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

MonsieurChoc posted:

DS1 is the one I have trouble getting into. It's obviously great, but it never clicked for me.

Dark Souls had a less-than-stellar technical launch that I won't fault players for skipping, the original PC port especially. Now that the rerelease have cleared that up and with a few QOL features it is a game much easier to recommend.
Character builds are simpler than they look, parrying is very generous, and there are very few boss bottlenecks. The Capra Demon is cheap, unfair, and totally optional. I usually kill him when I have +10 gear for a quick catharsis.

The game's a classic but I won't deny the second half is a bit like Full Metal Jacket after Pvt. Pyle chooses to clean his rifle with his mouth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Hbomb has an editor, her name is Shannon Strucci and she has her own channel as well. (Her Fake Friends series is the reason every dipshit online moved to using "parasocial relationships" as an insult instead of just calling people white Knights)

Her videos about parasocial relationships are quite good though, insofar as the analysis actually contextualizes the sloppy aesthetic of, say, Best of the Worst in a compelling way and makes sense of YouTube as a form vs as a platform for other forms.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Her videos about parasocial relationships are quite good though, insofar as the analysis actually contextualizes the sloppy aesthetic of, say, Best of the Worst in a compelling way and makes sense of YouTube as a form vs as a platform for other forms.

Oh I'm not dissing, her videos are very good and she's very funny and informative in general (she's great as an occasional co-host on Struggle Session,) I was just making a gag about how her best known video has had enough cultural penetration to take a previously obscure psychological term and have it partially displace one of the classic internet insults in the common vernacular.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Strat-Edgy is also pretty good for longer videos, though he hasn't done anything in 2 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpRyA_wQ7AI

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is to appease ~The Algorithm~ in some manner.

From what I've heard, you want to make 10-12 minute videos for The Algorithm. You can see a few channels that have taken this to heart and hit the number with every video they do. All the lunatics putting out hours long videos are doing it sincerely.

I don't mind them, but it would make a lot of sense to split them into parts, like Lindsey Ellis's Hobbit series.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nah, usually the reason why a video is in the 10-12 minute range (most infamously, 10:01) is because the video needs to be over 10 minutes long so that the creator can stick midroll ads into it. Since YouTube started using watch time in minutes as opposed to views as their main metric, it generally pays to make videos long.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

Nah, usually the reason why a video is in the 10-12 minute range (most infamously, 10:01) is because the video needs to be over 10 minutes long so that the creator can stick midroll ads into it. Since YouTube started using watch time in minutes as opposed to views as their main metric, it generally pays to make videos long.

I watch Funhaus irregularly but I did catch some of their most recent podcast where latest Youtube happenings came up and they claimed apparently this is passe now or something and Youtube has moved onto something way more vague than watchtime now as their primary metric. Given they run their channel extremely business-like and often talk about ad and revenue-related stuff I'm inclined to believe it. I imagine the midroll ad part is still valid though.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Kim Justice posted:

Pretty much this, the other reason a lot of creators keep to 10-20 minute videos is just so they can crank them out at higher velocity. AFAIK the algorithm still rewards consistency and frequency in uploads and it's much easier to create a loyal audience if you have something for them to chew on every two days instead of whatever day of the month you happen to be done.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

Is there a video that compiles all of the bullshit that YouTube's rules incentivize people to do? I honestly find this nonsense really interesting.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The algorithm is purposefully opaque to prevent people from gaming it

Also does Shannon Strucci edit non-scanline videos? That series is a collaboration between them and I don’t think she does her normal stuff

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

watho posted:

The algorithm is purposefully opaque to prevent people from gaming it

Also does Shannon Strucci edit non-scanline videos? That series is a collaboration between them and I don’t think she does her normal stuff

She was also heavily involved in the Ctrl Alt Del video, though I don't think she's his editor regularly.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just feel like for your own benefit to break up a video so you have a content buffer that allows you to work on future content at a less frantic pace. I mean plopping out a nine hour video in one go seems ridiculous.

Also, the Google Maths are irrelevant in this case since so many of these channels rely more and more on Patreon for income, so they aren’t has beholden to whatever software solution Google thinks will finally replace human oversight this month.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Jesus gently caress long critique =/= good critique wasn't making the point that anything over a certain length is automatically bad it was making the point that making a longer video doesn't automatically make for a better critique especially if your level of analysis is basically cinema sins.

Also Pathalogic is like a 20 hour game theres plenty to talk about there.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Also hbomb talks a lot about doing multiple passes on the script where he takes away a lot of stuff so they end up with very little fluff despite the length

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hbombs video was good, never heard of Pathologic, but seems cool and painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a series I've always meant to check out, but never got around to. I'm looking forward to it! Although I thought he said his next video was going to be on Night in the Woods, my favourite game of 2017, so I must admit I'm a little disappointed.