Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Hing instinctively knowing the importance and alignment of Ben's characters based on their voice is a real through line for the Dragon Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1181748154003148801

really looking forward to the release of this one now

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

professor metis posted:

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1181748154003148801

really looking forward to the release of this one now

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1182067825449431041

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/492774859

This morning's twitch stream was Dave, Ben, and Edan planning the one-shot for PAX this weekend. You get to see how the sausage gets made, and frankly I'm impressed with the amount of thought and planning that goes into it.

I mean, if I had a group as rowdy and dumb as the Dragon Friends, I definitely would resign to barely planning anything and just improvising everything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/492774859

This morning's twitch stream was Dave, Ben, and Edan planning the one-shot for PAX this weekend. You get to see how the sausage gets made, and frankly I'm impressed with the amount of thought and planning that goes into it.

I mean, if I had a group as rowdy and dumb as the Dragon Friends, I definitely would resign to barely planning anything and just improvising everything.

I know he hates the nickname dungeon daddy Dave, but there is a real masochistic element to carefully arranging the china in the shop before inviting the bulls in each week. They must be very close friends outside of the game

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know he hates the nickname dungeon daddy Dave, but there is a real masochistic element to carefully arranging the china in the shop before inviting the bulls in each week. They must be very close friends outside of the game

The Sydney comedy scene seems incredibly interconnected and supportive of each other, and based on FtaGH most of them have lived in share houses together or known each other for years.

But Dave's also the GM of the Giant Dwarf so he could just cancel all their other gigs if they revolt.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Psychepath posted:

The Sydney comedy scene seems incredibly interconnected and supportive of each other, and based on FtaGH most of them have lived in share houses together or known each other for years.

But Dave's also the GM of the Giant Dwarf so he could just cancel all their other gigs if they revolt.

yea I have zero actual clue for this but just going on podcasts like FtaGH it sounds like 90% of the Syney comedy community has shared at least one living situation and are the godparents of eachothers' kids and poo poo like some kinda comedy commune.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Dragon Friends did a live show at PAX Australia, and there's a VOD:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/493801956?fbclid=IwAR0QYoBv4EKiAuVFZOzaxz-sZf46fETRw_-H1JAWSCLpiR59upf1GqU_OQs&sr=a&t=18049s

I'm not far in yet, but I love it when Ben just drinks straight from the carafe and Dave yells at him "THAT WAS FOR EVERYONE"

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

inthesto posted:

I'm not far in yet, but I love it when Ben just drinks straight from the carafe and Dave yells at him "THAT WAS FOR EVERYONE"

I loved this too especially because as he was drinking from it I was having an Everything I Know About The World Is Wrong moment thinking that actually those things are sometimes meant to be drunk directly from so I was very grateful for Dave's yelling.

It was quite something going from watching the planning session on D&D twitch yesterday to watching the stream today, it's probably good either way around but I very much enjoyed watching everyone flail around with full knowledge of what they were meant to be doing.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
"We were told people were dressing up" was such a good joke in the first D&D event stream and I'm secretly disappointed when they don't all wear suits.

Alex and Edan really let the team down.

e: I can't believe they're doing intentional PvP on a day Hing wasn't available.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 13, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

"We were told people were dressing up" was such a good joke in the first D&D event stream and I'm secretly disappointed when they don't all wear suits.

Alex and Edan really let the team down.

e: I can't believe they're doing intentional PvP on a day Hing wasn't available.

It really is exactly Hing's wheelhouse yeah, it's tragic that he couldn't make it. Very fun stream though, the tripod guys fit the mood very well

e: the bit towards the end where baston and philge keep beating the poo poo out of each other out of pettiness even after crown of madness wore off was my favorite part I think

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 13, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I have to say, going into a stream where you know the rough beats Ben & Dave are going for is pretty interesting.
I really hope they do more of those pre-show-planning sessions for various one-offs and the like in the future.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Was on the DF website today, and their photoshoot pic on the 'about' page is killer.

On a random note, I think I'm past due for a new avatar, and am kind of tempted to use one of the character images from the OP.
I'm thinking Freezo or Baston, but just need to come up with an accompanying quote. Anyone have any faves?
E: Nevermind, sorted.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 15, 2019

Chibberwocky
Nov 14, 2012

I made a bunch of pins for the Dragoes including a Dungeon Daddy Dave pin which he wore on stage at PAX so I think his hatred of his nickname is losing out to their kindness to their fans :P

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

inthesto posted:

The Dragon Friends did a live show at PAX Australia, and there's a VOD:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/493801956?fbclid=IwAR0QYoBv4EKiAuVFZOzaxz-sZf46fETRw_-H1JAWSCLpiR59upf1GqU_OQs&sr=a&t=18049s

I've been listening to the main podcast, and I'm on their patreon so I get the recordings of Beef Babes... but have I been missing out on a bunch of content by not paying attention to Twitch?

Fake edit: Checked their website and there's a whole Twitch section there and plenty of other specials I somehow missed. Hoo boy, I'm set for a while.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

uvar posted:

I've been listening to the main podcast, and I'm on their patreon so I get the recordings of Beef Babes... but have I been missing out on a bunch of content by not paying attention to Twitch?

Fake edit: Checked their website and there's a whole Twitch section there and plenty of other specials I somehow missed. Hoo boy, I'm set for a while.

Yeah, and the Beef Babes is up to it's 14th episode per today.

I'm super glad they're doing a good job of giving an overview of everything on their site, since it's pretty scattershot the various one offs they've done, and where to find them.

(Apparently the site's even gotten updated since last I checked.)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Latest episode was pretty rough

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Someone recently said something about Dave not letting Demi and Tom play together on the same episode and I think we saw shades of that with Guy and Tom this episode, creating two dipshit characters who desperately, immediately wanted to die.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dave mentioned it on the master class ep yeah. He said something like “Tom alone, great, Demi alone great; the two of them together, absolutely not”

I believe the phrase “itchy energy” was used

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dave mentioned it on the master class ep yeah. He said something like “Tom alone, great, Demi alone great; the two of them together, absolutely not”

I believe the phrase “itchy energy” was used

Yeah, having listened to the entirety of bst.png, they would absolutely just take over any ep and grind it to a halt riffing

They'd need their own side thing

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So I assume Hing was unavailable and won’t be in next episode either?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Tom and Demi did a D&D one-shot with other members of the Sans Pants Radio crew, but you have to buy the episode:

https://sanspantsradio.podkeep.com/product/wet-parents/

Considering the third player is Jackson, I have to assume the show devolves into total chaos before it even starts.

Also, Hing being co-DM with Dave is loving hilarious and I hope they do it again for a weird special.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

inthesto posted:

Also, Hing being co-DM with Dave is loving hilarious and I hope they do it again for a weird special.

Yeah this was extremely good, Hing's brand of attempted-mastermind-but-not-paying-enough-attention was fantastic when turned against the party instead of trying to help the situation, and also Dave giving him essentially free rein to create whatever he wanted in the world just because he thought it would be funny.

That is *absolutely* not what the prisoner's dilemma is though and I'm surprised no one called him out on it. That was just some other weird torture game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

New episode out today and Alex really brings out the Philge in this one

Totally lost it at Baston, we the dukes!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I 100% genuinely could not breathe at the end of this episode

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
What do you suppose the Magic Mouth trigger was?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ulf posted:

What do you suppose the Magic Mouth trigger was?

the word 'oval office' seemed likely to me

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sometimes the Dragon Friends pull back the curtain a bit and it's really heartwarming

https://twitter.com/hingers/status/1194220020726763522

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1194483460150218752

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

inthesto posted:

Sometimes the Dragon Friends pull back the curtain a bit and it's really heartwarming

not everyone agrees

https://twitter.com/tomwalkerisgood/status/1194222970207518720

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

inthesto posted:

Yes a heartwarming group of folks.
https://twitter.com/daveharmon/status/1194844948949946369
Yes indeedy.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Neckwarming

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do not want this

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Is next episode the FINAL final episode, or just the season finale?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Season finale I’m sure. The draggos still seem to be expanding and building their audience, I’d be stunned if this was the end of the podcast; i assume someone would mention in the dragon huddle if it was.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Yeah, one of the cast mentioned that they're going to do a show in New Zealand next year, so I can't imagine ending the show is in the cards anytime soon.

For once, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the break between seasons. I've only been listening to When Hell Freez-Over as background noise, so I only have a very vague and spotty outline of the plot. The break will give me a chance to really give the series a deep listen so that my understanding of the plot can only get more confused.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah the twitch stream is kind of a weird one; it was meant to be a freezo-centric plot but hing’s been touring and has had to miss a lot so I feel like it’s more of a Bethany arc at this point. I also feel bad that edan has to play both a player and the NPCs, I feel like he forgets that bushu is there sometimes.

Still, more draggo content in my ears every week is unquestionably a good thing, but I don’t find myself rushing to watch the twitch vods like I do the podcast episodes. It also doesn’t help that I’d have to get up at 4am to watch live, being in the chat does look fun

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

poor life choice posted:

Is next episode the FINAL final episode, or just the season finale?

Dave and Ben mentioned on the recent patreon Q/A that they've started planning Season 6.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It's just a weird thing to call it the Grand Finale in the closing credits. I had the same thought, but then also saw a new episode of the stream on the Patreon feed, so figured it was just Grand as a big modifier.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I'm so far behind on their streaming stuff but I just watched watch Shak, Jordan, Edan and Carlo Ritchie play Heroquest and that was very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

inthesto posted:

Yeah, one of the cast mentioned that they're going to do a show in New Zealand next year, so I can't imagine ending the show is in the cards anytime soon.

Oh snap, when did they say this?