Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Stormland got a patch

Stormland Version 003

- Addressed an issue where the save file could become corrupted when joining a friend further behind in progress.

- Tuned the hand menu to turn off more consistently based on players' hand orientation.

- Addressed an issue where some objects would be floating in the Cycling World.

- Addressed an issue where players could become stuck on the Shield Bracer mission.

- Addressed an issue where Aeon Bud collection could become stuck at 1/2.

- Various co-op progression improvements.

- Various stability improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I get the disappointment over HLVR if you don't already own VR. But honestly I wouldn't be excited in the slightest for a normal rear end Half Life 3. Games have moved so far beyond what Half Life stuck out for.

VR is the perfect place for them to do some groundbreaking stuff. To prove it's worth the money finally. Here's hoping they deliver.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Calipark posted:

I get the disappointment over HLVR if you don't already own VR. But honestly I wouldn't be excited in the slightest for a normal rear end Half Life 3. Games have moved so far beyond what Half Life stuck out for.

VR is the perfect place for them to do some groundbreaking stuff. To prove it's worth the money finally. Here's hoping they deliver.

The things that HL1 stuck out for are not the things that HL2 stuck out for, assuming that HL3 wouldn't do anything new is real strange op

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

The things that HL1 stuck out for are not the things that HL2 stuck out for, assuming that HL3 wouldn't do anything new is real strange op

My point was that they tried for 10 years to find something new to base the game around and couldn't make it work until VR gave them the opportunity to make a Half Life rear end Half Life game innovation and all.

If they did a flatscreen Half Life 3 tomorrow it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as a Half Life in VR, is what I'm getting at.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Calipark posted:

My point was that they tried for 10 years to find something new to base the game around and couldn't make it work until VR gave them the opportunity to make a Half Life rear end Half Life game innovation and all.

If they did a flatscreen Half Life 3 tomorrow it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as a Half Life in VR, is what I'm getting at.

That's not remotely true? They have not been toiling away year after year on HL3 and finding it impossible to make any headway.

HL3 development got derailed because Steam is making more money than it ever could, and because TF2, CS:GO and DOTA also each made more than it ever could through microtransactions.

They made portal and portal 2 in between now and HL2, and those both featured innovative gameplay too.

Its not that they just can't do anything new...

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not remotely true? They have not been toiling away year after year on HL3 and finding it impossible to make any headway.

HL3 development got derailed because Steam is making more money than it ever could, and because TF2, CS:GO and DOTA also each made more than it ever could through microtransactions.

They made portal and portal 2 in between now and HL2, and those both featured innovative gameplay too.

Its not that they just can't do anything new...

No. It's entirely true. Half Life 3 has been in development in many forms since before Episode 2 shipped. Episode 3 was in production at Warren Spector's studio before Disney bought them and it got canceled.

It's been canned and remade an unknown amount of times due to them not finding something that worked or felt like "Half Life".

They never stopped development because "Steam was making too much money" or whatever. The concept never left the ground because it wasn't good enough to get the full weight of the studio behind it, so everyone gravitated toward their experiments in Free-to-play and esports.

Had a real game concept formed around a 3rd half life game, it would have gotten the attention it deserved. And that's exactly what just happened in the past 3 years that HLVR has *supposedly* been in active development.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Didn’t the writer dumped what HL3’s story would have been life after being told it wasn’t happening? I know it covered portals and the missing ship (borealis?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Calipark posted:

Had a real game concept formed around a 3rd half life game, it would have gotten the attention it deserved. And that's exactly what just happened in the past 3 years that HLVR has *supposedly* been in active development.

Your extreme confidence here is weird. Do you work for Valve? Even if you did, I don't think you could make this claim definitively. Basing it on hearsay is even more ridiculous.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn’t the writer dumped what HL3’s story would have been life after being told it wasn’t happening? I know it covered portals and the missing ship (borealis?)

Yeah I've heard that story, but I dunno, I assume any rumors about HL3 are probably made up BS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think Marc Laidlaw released an outline, but who knows if that's what it really would have been.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

Your extreme confidence here is weird. Do you work for Valve? Even if you did, I don't think you could make this claim definitively. Basing it on hearsay is even more ridiculous.

Of all the stuff I rattled off there the fact that HL3 wasn't being made because they couldn't get people excited about it internally is what's tripping you up most?

That's pretty basic undeniable stuff. If someone at Valve had a pitch and idea for HL3 good enough, obviously they'd get behind it. And you don't need to take my word for it, because they just announced the fruits of that exact line of thinking.

They're a privately owned game company with more quarterly rev than god, they'll do whatever makes them happy.

Good concepts and good leadership are what get games off the ground and keep it on course. You'd be surprised how short a supply both are at any company. Without either nobody gets excited and produces high end content. Modern day EA is a great example of what happens when you have neither but still force a studio to push out a game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Not suprising in the slightest that people are mad about Valve finally making another halflife thing but its for VR only. God only knows what would have happened if they stuck a 3 at the end of the title lol.

Excited to have a company with infinty money do something in VR, but unless its somehow as groundbreaking as HL2 was I feel like people are going to be disapointed no matter what. I'm not much of a Valve fan though tbh, don't get me wrong Portal 2 had great writing but outside of that Halflife is like the most boring thing to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Calipark posted:

That's pretty basic undeniable stuff. If someone at Valve had a pitch and idea for HL3 good enough, obviously they'd get behind it. And you don't need to take my word for it, because they just announced the fruits of that exact line of thinking.

No part of this is undeniable, lmao. That isn't obvious. There's a lot of corporate factors at play.

"They just decided to make a VR game so ergo they definitely would have made HL3 if at any point in the last several years they had a good concept for HL3"

Like what on earth, this is a massive leap of logic lmao.

But we should just stop this, we're just going in circles now. You think its obvious, I don't, neither of us has anything else to put forth. But I could just as easily declare "this is undeniable stuff, they weren't interested in making HL3 for many reasons, obviously they weren't...." it doesn't make it true.

E: My uncle is GabeN and he told me that they already made HL3 but it was so good people quit their jobs and so Obama made them delete it to avoid the collapse of society :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 20, 2019

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

E: My uncle is GabeN and he told me that they already made HL3 but it was so good people quit their jobs and so Obama made them delete it to avoid the collapse of society :cheeky:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

That Italian Guy posted:

How's the Quest display/audio/comfort compared to the Oculus Rift(the old one, not the S)? If the Link is legit I may consider upgrading to it if there is a visual improvement.

Display is higher resolution and sharper, but only 72 Hz instead of 90 Hz. Audio sucks rear end. Comfort is worse, too, as the strap design isn't as good and it is more front-heavy.

Audio and comfort can be solved a bit with a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap + some 3d printed parts, but it will still be heavier. Plus the Vive DAS is becoming hard to find. Plus it's an extra $110 for the DAS + 3d printed parts.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
In other news, I resolved my Quest Link audio issues! I *believe* the culprit was the NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver.

I turned off my speaker exclusive mode, disabled my Yeti microphone "output" device (wtf Yeti), and uninstalled the NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver. Sound then started to come through the headset.

I turned exclusive mode back on and enabled my Yeti microphone "output" device and sound is still working, so it is possible it was NVIDIA's fault.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
konami has announced a new metal gear solid game but it's a VR exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjp8Ldld5YE

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nalin posted:

Audio and comfort can be solved a bit with a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap + some 3d printed parts, but it will still be heavier. Plus the Vive DAS is becoming hard to find. Plus it's an extra $110 for the DAS + 3d printed parts.

Eh, use earplugs and tie an usb power bank to the back of the strap and you're 90% there for 1% of the cost of that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I found a DAS cheap on ebay ($60-ish I think) and didn't buy any of the 3d printed kits. Some velcro straps like you probably have lying around for computer crap and any sort of D/O/whatever ring is all you need. A ring is absurdly cheap at a hardware store. You could probably also pry the frame off an old belt and use that. I've been using it with the DAS for many months (I think I did the conversion a month or so after release) and its never had any problems.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Let's see, Valve has been heavily involved in the VR space since the Vive, currently makes VR hardware, AND announced they were developing VR titles. Meanwhile they have never even hinted they were working on any kind of flat screen Half Life follow-up.

but yeah how could they betray us with this shocking news??

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just want a VR experience where I'm in a monastery with a large beautiful cathedral, far up in the mountains. Tasks include tending garden, cutting hay, lightning candles, listening to choral chant, feeding animals, reading old manuscripts, brewing beer, meditation/prayer. Maybe I'll befriend a bird. I want that in real life too.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Origami Dali posted:

I just want a VR experience where I'm in a monastery with a large beautiful cathedral, far up in the mountains. Tasks include tending garden, cutting hay, lightning candles, listening to choral chant, feeding animals, reading old manuscripts, brewing beer, meditation/prayer. Maybe I'll befriend a bird. I want that in real life too.

Township tale isn’t tooooo far off. Gardening / farming isn’t in yet nor is raising animals but they recently added more complex non-weapon/tool item crafting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

You can just quit your job and do that today too

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I feel like an alien sometimes w/ my VR game preferences. I'm pretty OK with the shorter indie side of things. It reminds me of times where you'd buy a game, and that was the game. It didn't try to become the only thing you did forever, it didn't have endless DLC and promises of the game Getting Better All The Time. It feels less intrusive on my adult-rear end life where "hundreds of hours of gameplay" being a back of the box or storefront feature is an immediate turnoff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I feel like an alien sometimes w/ my VR game preferences. I'm pretty OK with the shorter indie side of things. It reminds me of times where you'd buy a game, and that was the game. It didn't try to become the only thing you did forever, it didn't have endless DLC and promises of the game Getting Better All The Time. It feels less intrusive on my adult-rear end life where "hundreds of hours of gameplay" being a back of the box or storefront feature is an immediate turnoff.

No, I largely agree. I kinda like that most VR games are all-killer-no-filler, get in, have fun, get out.

Especially since in VR I'm much less patient. I hear people saying there's a few hours of tutorials in Stormlands? IN VR? Dude after like 30 minutes of tutorial I'm gonna want to sit down.

That said, I can understand wanting more content and more progression in VR games. The fact that most of them don't have many unlocks, or some any unlocks at all, works against them.

Its nice that you can just jump into Pistol Whip and Beat Saber and have fun on whatever track you want, I'm not sure I'd want a Guitar Hero campaign where you have to unlock songs. But... feels like some kinda progression mode would be nice to have.

So I'm kinda in the middle, where I do wanna see VR games grow, but... just not necessarily the way some posters ITT seem to where they'd just be full on flatscreen game experiences. poo poo, I don't even like some of that fluff when I'm playing flatscreen games, much less in VR!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nalin posted:

I turned off my speaker exclusive mode, disabled my Yeti microphone "output" device (wtf Yeti),

It has an audio jack on the bottom. Its quite handy for some people actually.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

EbolaIvory posted:

It has an audio jack on the bottom. Its quite handy for some people actually.

Yeah my headphones are plugged into my mic because that's just the best place for it with my setup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The final level for I Expect You To Die is out and... it's merely okay. Some neat puzzles, but it expects you to sit through a brief 10-second cutscene before the panels unlock and you can actually start playing. Which, if you know how the game works, gets frustrating real fast on your third or fourth attempt. There's also a bit towards the end that expects a few pieces to fall into place that quite easily won't and gets frustrating through no fault of your own. More specifically; Trying to catch the tossed nuclear waste with the electromagnet arm.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Trip report on Oculus Link with a 1060 and 3m of random cheap USB 3 cables and extensions:

It seems good. Tracking and visual fidelity are, for me, indistinguishable from Quest-native. Quick and easy setup, no problems running SteamVR or other non-Oculus software; it just behaves like a Rift and Touch with slightly different controller models. I did have a period of unusably poor performance with no obvious cause for a few minutes after I first set it up, but after that cleared up it has been fine since.

If I swap to 4m of otherwise identical USB cables from the same manufacturer it doesn't work at all. While the PC reports the connection is fine Oculus Link consistently fails to start or exits immediately. So if you want the kind of freedom and cable lengths you can get with other PC headsets then it seems like the crazy expensive official cable may be a necessity.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

NRVNQSR posted:

So if you want the kind of freedom and cable lengths you can get with other PC headsets then it seems like the crazy expensive official cable may be a necessity.

Not at all. Many people, myself included, are using this 16 foot active extender with no issues:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MXKU8/

I've stuck a 3 foot USB 3 cable on the end of it for a total of 19 feet of cord. Tomorrow, I'll get a 10 foot cable that I'll also try to stick on the end of it. If that works, I'll have 26 feet of cable. I think somebody on reddit got it up over 30 feet.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
So I just got back from a few weeks leave and got immediately into all the pistol whipping I've been missing. I quite like it, you feel VERY badass at times John Wicking all over the place. I would prefer if there were a few more clues on how the scoring works, I've gone through and finished every map on hard now, so now I'm doing some highscore chasing and it seems incredibly hard to get a rating of more then B. I'm in the top 20 on hard on one of the songs, 90% accuracy and similar score for beat, and it's still just a B rating. Not getting hit obviously helps by not messing up your multiplier, but i'm still not sure exactly what I should be aiming for for getting a higher rating. Not that a higher rating has any real impact on anything other then my OCD.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That Italian Guy posted:

How's the Quest display/audio/comfort compared to the Oculus Rift(the old one, not the S)? If the Link is legit I may consider upgrading to it if there is a visual improvement.

Nalin covered the display and audio pretty well, but the comfort is a trade-off because while the Quest is more front-heavy, it also has a significantly wider and slightly deeper opening for the facial interface (which is an absolute godsend if you wear glasses) and uses much better material than the Rift's foam. I find the Quest overall significantly more comfortable than the Rift, even with its weight distribution issues.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll consider getting a Quest during Black Friday/Cyber Monday then. Has anyone tried traveling with a Quest through an airport security point? One of the main things I like about the Quest is the fact that I could bring it with me and have my family have a go at VR during the Holidays, but I am a bit afraid about being stopped from bringing it on a plane since it's a relatively unknown piece of technology.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is there a way to filter steam view to show only non VR-only titles? I don't have any reason to look at them unless I'm in the headset.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

That Italian Guy posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll consider getting a Quest during Black Friday/Cyber Monday then. Has anyone tried traveling with a Quest through an airport security point? One of the main things I like about the Quest is the fact that I could bring it with me and have my family have a go at VR during the Holidays, but I am a bit afraid about being stopped from bringing it on a plane since it's a relatively unknown piece of technology.

I can't promise you anything but they did Xray you carry-on electronics. It should be instantly apparent that it isn't weaponized. I bought a Gear VR on a plane before without issue.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

That Italian Guy posted:

I flew with it a couple of times just after it was released and had no issues at all. Also seen reports of people using them to watch movies and poo poo while in the air.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so here's a dumb question: how dead is phone/cardboard VR? i finally have a phone that was built in this decade. are there any comfy cardboard-compatible headstraps or is the only way to do that decently a quest?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Truga posted:

so here's a dumb question: how dead is phone/cardboard VR? i finally have a phone that was built in this decade. are there any comfy cardboard-compatible headstraps or is the only way to do that decently a quest?
No one is making poo poo for that stuff anymore, but if there's something in particular you want to do with them you can still do it, they still work. Even Daydream being discontinued, the store still works and you can download and run stuff, just there's nothing new. If you got a Samsung, I think a Gear VR is still relatively worth having even though its in the same boat, because at least it has broad system level support and you can just run whatever app you want in VR theater mode, and the Oculus browser is pretty good. For what it is anyway, a 3dof hmd

But yeah if you want new poo poo or good poo poo untethered, you're gonna want a Quest, not even an Oculus Go

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Truga posted:

so here's a dumb question: how dead is phone/cardboard VR?
It's very dead. Google gave up on it. Oculus stopped working on Gear VR. I guess recent Samsung phones still work with it? But personally I wouldn't bother with anything that doesn't support 6DOF. I have a Daydream and honestly it sucked.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Truga posted:

It's :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just want it for watching poo poo in bed more comfortably, so 6dof isn't needed at all. looking online it looks like my phone won't fit most decent cardboard headmounts tho since it's too long :rip: