Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Per my earlier post, I would love to run this as a Shadowrun campaign where certain parties in the background are going :jerkbag:

Presumably, people like mages in WoD are doing the same thing for most of that narrative. If anything, it sounds like a really fun story to be approached from the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

God i forgot how loving silly the various end-times stuff for all of white wolf's WoD lines were. Nothing beats how loving insane it was when New Bremen tried to run all of them at the same loving time though.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

citybeatnik posted:

God i forgot how loving silly the various end-times stuff for all of white wolf's WoD lines were. Nothing beats how loving insane it was when New Bremen tried to run all of them at the same loving time though.

Go on ...

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
One of the additional dangers (and for me, clearly the biggest one) of open warfare with, or open domination of, humanity is that any significant change to the status quo might just be what wakes up the Antediluvians too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Are there any detailed descriptions of how exactly the Second Inquisition slaughtered the Tremere Prime Chantry and all its old and powerful vampires? This is what gives the Tremere their weird position in Bloodlines 2, being only recently allowed back into the city but still hated/distrusted, but I'm curious how it was described as being pulled off. I mean specifically the kinds of weaponry etc. used. Special ops guys with incendiary rounds? More explicitly supernatural tricks?

Khanstant posted:

Are there any good videogame versions of their version of werewolves, that sounds really rad honestly. Always love worm god battles and earth defender beasts sound righteous.

I was going to say there was one a long time ago they were working on, but actually a quick search turned up this... thing: Werewolf the Apocalypse: Earthblood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qDwyhSpIRI

It's being made by Cyanide, who've made some okay-ish Warhammer games in the past. I wouldn't get too interested though as their record is pretty spotty.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lassitude posted:

Are there any detailed descriptions of how exactly the Second Inquisition slaughtered the Tremere Prime Chantry and all its old and powerful vampires? This is what gives the Tremere their weird position in Bloodlines 2, being only recently allowed back into the city but still hated/distrusted, but I'm curious how it was described as being pulled off. I mean specifically the kinds of weaponry etc. used. Special ops guys with incendiary rounds? More explicitly supernatural tricks?

I was going to say there was one a long time ago they were working on, but actually a quick search turned up this... thing: Werewolf the Apocalypse: Earthblood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qDwyhSpIRI

It's being made by Cyanide, who've made some okay-ish Warhammer games in the past. I wouldn't get too interested though as their record is pretty spotty.

That trailer was going places until that music came on. Whaaaat the gently caress.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Norton the First posted:

Per my earlier post, I would love to run this as a Shadowrun campaign where certain parties in the background are going :jerkbag:

Presumably, people like mages in WoD are doing the same thing for most of that narrative. If anything, it sounds like a really fun story to be approached from the outside.

This was back when the lines were pretty independent. If the players knew Werewolves the book recommended having them all sod off to the spirit world to fight the Wyrm. Changelings heading off to find Arcadia. Just suggest their world is going to burn too. Mage was the weirdest though as their ascension war ending was not prophesied about much at all and their conflict is more metaphysical though I believe there was a Mage ending scenario that ended in a post apocalyptic dystopia ruled by the Technocracy.

citybeatnik posted:

That would have been......interesting. How do you keep the various apocalypses separate?

TV Man from Bloodlines:

"In other news two more vampire gods have arisen and are devouring Europe demanding that all humanity and their childer give up their blood to them immediately."

"From NASA a giant Wyrm-like creature was spotted heading in from Outer Space this morning. Upon landing in Africa at around 3 PM hordes of wolfmen jumped on it and started trying to tear it apart."

"In Switzerland a New World Order was declared yesterday promising to bring all of humanity to something called Ascension. When the UN balked gigantic cyborgs with particle beam rifles wiped out the entire Assembly."

"A group of people calling themselves Kithain have declared that the Tuatha de Danaan are coming to exterminate them all and they are fleeing to what they call 'boring places' in hopes of hiding. They vanished before psychological help could be mustered."

"Worldwide there have been a spate of attacks by a terrorist group calling themselves the Fallen who are attacking people and buildings worldwide. They claim that Lucifer has called on them to expel the Archdukes of Hell from Earth."

"With the increasing number of alleged monster attacks a group known as the Imbued have rallied mobs to wipe out the scourge of the supernatural and are burning down several major cities."

"A rash of spontaneous combustion has started in China with many of those afflicted screaming about the 'coming of the Yama Kings' before expiring. Friends of the deceased talk of doors opening and then run in terror."

"In Egypt a group of people calling themselves 'the Undying' insist that they must gather to stop the rise of Apophis who is coming to consume something called 'bane mummies' to subsume their power and rule on earth."

"In local news, an apparent third victim of the Southland Slasher has prompted the closing of the Santa Monica pier, where the body was found earlier tonight. Investigators say the scene closely mirrors those of slayings in Glendale and Longbeach. In both cases the bodies of the victims were described as 'ripped, torn, bloody entrails smeared upon the walls, splatter on broken windows, feet in weird places – murder, murder, murder.'"

"And now over to Julie for the weather"

Basically, I also want you to:

Vavrek posted:

Go on ...

:frogon:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tetrabor posted:

I mean, I get why people would want to become Tzimisce. I just don't understand how the Camarilla, Werewolves, Kuei-jin, Holy Church, and Humans would not make it a singular purpose to obliterate a hostile faction that wholely lacks and opposes humanity.

It'd be like the world finding out that pod-people exist, collectively shrugging about it and then going back to their merry ways as if nothing changed.

As a vampire I could potentially live forever. I'm not going to risk that just because some jackass likes to play with his food.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of oWod Werewolf games was how it quickly became "SAVE THE PLANET... AND I'LL loving KILL YOU"

My least favorite part was how things like vaccines, modern medicine in general and society were murdering Gaia so burn everything and reestablish Werewolves culling everything while people died after brutish and short lives

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Organ Fiend posted:

I guess what I was getting at was that Vicissitude shouldn't also be a designated villain discipline.

Like I said, its just a logical conclusion of protean and alot of the powers associated with it fit right into protean, and vice versa. There's no need to make it some kind of infestation of the antediluvian or whatever. Just say that the Tzimisce were able to dig deeper into the dicipline because of koldunic sorcery or whatever.

There are also plenty of non-cenobyte/body horror monster things you could do with vicissitude. You could have a vampire spy that could change its appearance to almost anyone. You could have one that, for a price, makes Nosferatu able to mingle with humans (presumably they revert to their cursed appearance after day sleep). You could have a vampire that works as a world famous plastic/reconstructive surgeon (or the surgeon is the ghoul, and the vamp is posing as the assistant, but is doing all the work). Hell, you could have a vampire healer that could reconstruct grievous injuries in humans and animals.

Its really kind of ridiculous that there's only one "shapeshifter" player character clan when shape shifting is such a big part of vampire lore/fiction. Its also ridiculous that the one shapeshifter player character clan doesn't really match up with freaking Dracula.

You probably could do the whole fitting in with humans thing. Just remove your skin and replace with a humans. Same with eating food. Just a normal human digestive tract in place of your vampire one you ripped out and left on the coffee table.

I never got why Tzis didn't do more skin suits stuff. Its like an exo suit for the mortal world.

Also they can do things like falsify DNA evidence by growing bits of people.

When i could play tabletop games I tended to have novel ideas for problem solving.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

This is not the silliest Gehenna scenario either. Sorry, I did not mean to write a novel but I was bored on a long car ride.

Thank you for writing this up. It is the most amazing fever dream and I loved reading every word of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

citybeatnik posted:

Werewolf's was okay by simple virtue of the developer actually putting stuff in fans of the game line wanted.

Having been a New Bremen regular at one point in time, I can only imagine how many vampire PCs - for example - tried to claim they were immune to the Withering for reasons.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Dawgstar posted:

Having been a New Bremen regular at one point in time, I can only imagine how many vampire PCs - for example - tried to claim they were immune to the Withering for reasons.

What's New Bremen? I've never heard of it (only done WoD stuff with close friends). Search results just get me a couple towns named that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Apparently a server for roleplaying WoD games.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xenocides posted:

This was back when the lines were pretty independent. If the players knew Werewolves the book recommended having them all sod off to the spirit world to fight the Wyrm. Changelings heading off to find Arcadia. Just suggest their world is going to burn too. Mage was the weirdest though as their ascension war ending was not prophesied about much at all and their conflict is more metaphysical though I believe there was a Mage ending scenario that ended in a post apocalyptic dystopia ruled by the Technocracy.

That would have been......interesting. How do you keep the various apocalypses separate?

TV Man from Bloodlines:

"In other news two more vampire gods have arisen and are devouring Europe demanding that all humanity and their childer give up their blood to them immediately."

"From NASA a giant Wyrm-like creature was spotted heading in from Outer Space this morning. Upon landing in Africa at around 3 PM hordes of wolfmen jumped on it and started trying to tear it apart."

"In Switzerland a New World Order was declared yesterday promising to bring all of humanity to something called Ascension. When the UN balked gigantic cyborgs with particle beam rifles wiped out the entire Assembly."

"A group of people calling themselves Kithain have declared that the Tuatha de Danaan are coming to exterminate them all and they are fleeing to what they call 'boring places' in hopes of hiding. They vanished before psychological help could be mustered."

"Worldwide there have been a spate of attacks by a terrorist group calling themselves the Fallen who are attacking people and buildings worldwide. They claim that Lucifer has called on them to expel the Archdukes of Hell from Earth."

"With the increasing number of alleged monster attacks a group known as the Imbued have rallied mobs to wipe out the scourge of the supernatural and are burning down several major cities."

"A rash of spontaneous combustion has started in China with many of those afflicted screaming about the 'coming of the Yama Kings' before expiring. Friends of the deceased talk of doors opening and then run in terror."

"In Egypt a group of people calling themselves 'the Undying' insist that they must gather to stop the rise of Apophis who is coming to consume something called 'bane mummies' to subsume their power and rule on earth."

"In local news, an apparent third victim of the Southland Slasher has prompted the closing of the Santa Monica pier, where the body was found earlier tonight. Investigators say the scene closely mirrors those of slayings in Glendale and Longbeach. In both cases the bodies of the victims were described as 'ripped, torn, bloody entrails smeared upon the walls, splatter on broken windows, feet in weird places – murder, murder, murder.'"

"And now over to Julie for the weather"

Basically, I also want you to:

:frogon:
I could hear his voice reading every word. :allears:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vavrek posted:

What's New Bremen? I've never heard of it (only done WoD stuff with close friends). Search results just get me a couple towns named that.

It was the official, White Wolf run chat server that had all the various game lines going. All at once. In the same megacity.

It was goofy as all hell.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Norton the First posted:

Has anyone ever folded VtM into a Shadowrun campaign? The secret machinations of ancient vampire clans would be fun as heck in a setting where they're three steps ahead of most but two steps behind those who matter.

Not that I know of, but that sounds like a super fun setting, especially when I imagine vampires being a thing even before the reemergence of magic and thinking that they’re hot poo poo, only for loving dragons to show up who are not only super powerful individually but turn out to be extremely good at this whole "amass wealth and power" thing and they even can do so freely and publicly. That’s gotta smart :v:

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

System Metternich posted:

Not that I know of, but that sounds like a super fun setting, especially when I imagine vampires being a thing even before the reemergence of magic and thinking that they’re hot poo poo, only for loving dragons to show up who are not only super powerful individually but turn out to be extremely good at this whole "amass wealth and power" thing and they even can do so freely and publicly. That’s gotta smart :v:

That was exactly my thought. I need a group...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd imagine Kindred would look down on Shadowrun vampires because they all got turned by a virus.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
There's a Kickstarter with 10 days left for a sanctioned VTM game set in New York. Seems to be a strategy boardgame mixed with VTM lore.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I'd imagine Kindred would look down on Shadowrun vampires because they all got turned by a virus.
A magical virus. :eng101:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

That trailer was going places until that music came on. Whaaaat the gently caress.

And what, pray tell, should the music have been?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

I mean, you'd probably fold that part out of a game you folded the WoD into. Kindred and werewolves would count as the sort of Awakened creatures who survived in low-magic times, like the immortal elves.

e: And this has nothing to do with WoD, I just kinda love the idea of the self-serious apocalyptic tones of WoD transplanted into a cyberpunk setting where even an antediluvian barely matters in the grand scheme of things.

Norton the First fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 16, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

From the ten page magazine supplement explaining how to run VtM-Cyberpunk 2020 crossover games. It was called the "World of Future Darkness."

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vavrek posted:

From the ten page magazine supplement explaining how to run VtM-Cyberpunk 2020 crossover games. It was called the "World of Future Darkness."

:hmmyes:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Entorwellian posted:

Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life

:hmmyes:

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
What is a vampire if not a weirdly supernatural methhead?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Norton the First posted:

I mean, you'd probably fold that part out of a game you folded the WoD into. Kindred and werewolves would count as the sort of Awakened creatures who survived in low-magic times, like the immortal elves.
...and Antediluvians were all in torpor because they were waiting for the magic to come back. :ohdear:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ephemeron posted:

...and Antediluvians were all in torpor because they were waiting for the magic to come back. :ohdear:

Every Pentacle and Seer and Nephandus comes together for a huuuuge party!

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, the general vibe I got was that human governments know. They are trying to figure out what to do about this, while also dealing with other geopolitical issues.

Average people don't know.

Sounds pretty similar to what they did in nWoD with its “Hunters” line, which was slightly more “You and your friends vs evil” rather than oWoD’s “God had chosen you to fight vampires” approach.

There were some really cool ideas in that line such as a group of internet activists putting evidence of the supernatural on YouTube, a medical company vivisecting Vampires/Werewolves/etc and putting bits of them into their employees to make them better as well as a group of blue collar workers who communicate through an internet message board.

Although I’m most reminded of Task Force Valkyrie which was a secret arm of the US Military with all sorts of cool gadgets in it’s armoury.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ephemeron posted:

That's great. I need to find a group.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The vampires becoming completely irrelevant because the Megacorps and Dragons are around now would be a fitting capstone to the crumbling edifice of Metaplot.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Gehenna stuff mostly just reminds me of why I ended up souring so hard on oVampire, which is that, real fast, it just...stops being about vampires.

Like all that stuff is buckwild but even on a less goofy level, Vampire is a 90's conspiracy game with a lot of metaplot to read on the toilet, far more then an actual game of personal horror. It's substantially more Deus Ex then Nosferatu.

nVamp "solved" it by not being a 90's conspiracy game. Vampirism isn't a worldwide conspiracy, it's all local. Which turned a lot of people off because, as it turns out, a 90's conspiracy game deep in metaplot that you read on the shitter is what they actually wanted.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
V:tM still wasn't as bad as Mage: The Ascension for not ever managing to figure out what it was actually about.

Hell, the main issue I have with all the games from that era was that sourcebooks had to introduce new and cool things in order to be worth buying, but that introduced power creep and too much cruft. Shadowrun was bad for that; the base 2E game was amazing. By the end of the 2e line, when you'd introduced concepts like security and other variant riggers, cyberzombies, whatever the hell the psychic deckers were called, let alone ridiculously over-specialized deckers thanks to Virtual Realities 2.0, adepts and metamagic, bioware, hell, grafting on an entirely new points-based character build system…..

quote:

a 90's conspiracy game deep in metaplot that you read on the shitter is what they actually wanted.
I still love Conspiracy X. Oddly enough, Conspiracy X 2e kinda went in the other direction, and compacting things down a bit too much for my tastes. I should really get around to finding physical copies of Sub Rosa and The Hand Unseen to complete my collection.

Mmmm, and Ray Winnegar's Underground. Go back and read all about how the main political party in the US of A is the Plutocrats, and weep.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mendrian posted:

Yeah, "Vampires take over humanity" is extremely risky.

It's basically impossible to get there without exposing yourself; if you fail, humanity now knows about vampires but you hosed up your coup, so you're dead.

I think a bigger open question for the setting is how the gently caress hasn't some crazy vampire managed to deliberately nuke the masquerade by now? Like yes I understand the Cam is powerful and rich beyond all sense but the internet is instant transmission and it gets easier and easier to expose massive numbers of humans to indisputable proof.

Also Carthage is a cautionary tale about exactly that, isn't it?
I think the answer to this is that when oWoD was first written dialling into BBSes on your 9600-baud US Robotics modem was some Neuromancer-level futurism and SchreckNET was cutting-edge. Most people had barely heard of email and if you were a time traveller attempting to describe Twitter to them you might as well have been speaking ancient Greek.

(ie it's an anachronism they're stuck with)

edit: oops, seems I left this tab open for longer than I thought

To contribute: you could maybe rationalise it in 2019 by saying that the internet is so full of kooks and weirdos between the antivaxx crowd, the flat-Earthers, furries, EBM types, off-the-wall fetish sites etc that a few people posting about how the vampires live among us just get lost in the noise. If anyone does start to get traction, it's the local Prince's job to whack them. That feels like a good enough patch provided you don't think about it too hard.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 20, 2019

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I think they eventually updated schrecknet to existing on the dark web, or being a separate parallel network running off the same wires but with a different network infrastructure/communication above layer 2 or 3.

But even that was kinda stupid.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TheCenturion posted:

V:tM still wasn't as bad as Mage: The Ascension for not ever managing to figure out what it was actually about.

Hell, the main issue I have with all the games from that era was that sourcebooks had to introduce new and cool things in order to be worth buying, but that introduced power creep and too much cruft. Shadowrun was bad for that; the base 2E game was amazing. By the end of the 2e line, when you'd introduced concepts like security and other variant riggers, cyberzombies, whatever the hell the psychic deckers were called, let alone ridiculously over-specialized deckers thanks to Virtual Realities 2.0, adepts and metamagic, bioware, hell, grafting on an entirely new points-based character build system…..

Back in the day, we called it Uncle Al's Syndrome, named for the Uncle Al's Catalogs for CarWars, each of which added new toys and vehicles that made everything that came before it, including the older Uncle Al's books, obsolete.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Shadowrun security riggers are great. Originally a rigger is a dude with a Vehicle Control Rig, a bit of cyberware that lets you basically integrate the car you're driving into your sensorium so that your nervous system understands the car to be part of you, allowing super-fine control over the car, operating it with the same ease and skill that you'd move your body with. Security riggers have VCRs with a software package that lets you do that but with an entire building and all its integrated systems, including security, power, etc. Very neat development of the underlying idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pope Guilty posted:

Shadowrun security riggers are great. Originally a rigger is a dude with a Vehicle Control Rig, a bit of cyberware that lets you basically integrate the car you're driving into your sensorium so that your nervous system understands the car to be part of you, allowing super-fine control over the car, operating it with the same ease and skill that you'd move your body with. Security riggers have VCRs with a software package that lets you do that but with an entire building and all its integrated systems, including security, power, etc. Very neat development of the underlying idea.

nWoD had a Bloodline that could do this specific type of thing with their entire Haven. Was a really neat idea.