Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Imagine owning anything Ouya and trying to tout it as anything other than an example of being a dumbass

Hey the Ouya had its flaws but I enjoy mine quite a dang bit.

If you expected it to be some PS3/X360 killer you were dumb, but if you expected it to be a $100 android box with a reasonable collection of indie games + Emulator player, it fit the bill at the time perfectly.

Shield TV Pro Trounces it of course now, but it's still one hell of an easily portable box to bring to a party or something to play with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

univbee posted:

Nintendo still lets you redownload stuff you already purchased, and also transfer ownership to a Wii U, but they have explicitly stated these features are going to get shut down eventually (everything else about Wii's online is long-since shuttered), there's just no precise timeline yet.

Fortunately OG Wiis are plentiful and piss easy to softmod so this is largely not a concern, at least.

The old Wii shop was closed down completely, including for redownloads and system transfers, earlier this year.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can take apart an old Nintendonium Brick Gameboy with a basic set of screwdrivers. Being hard to open does not mean the Stadia controller is durable.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Schubalts posted:

You can take apart an old Nintendonium Brick Gameboy with a basic set of screwdrivers. Being hard to open does not mean the Stadia controller is durable.

That does make sense.

As someone who has never broken a gamepad yet, what exactly does seem to wear out or break in them for most people? The sticks? Buttons? Battery?

I have seen some worn stick pads, and a few broken sticks from people that treat them like it owes them money, but I still have dual shock 2's that hold a charge and work fine as well as NES and SNES pads that work like the day I got them.

Only gamepad I can complain about is the D-Pad on my Shield Portable. drat thing thinks Down is Right or vise versa. Guess that would be an instance of needing to get inside.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
So just casually reading this thread over the last day or so...... Has Hostile Apostile admitted to being a Google/Stadia employee in the past, or is he/she/they still just pretending at this point? I mean this poo poo is blatantly obvious my dude.

Side note - I gave a presentation to a group of high school kids from "girls inc" a few months ago. We took them on a tour of our IT building, let them participate in planning meetings, gave a basic explanation of what public vs private cloud is, ect. One of the questions came up regarding newer stuff was specifically Stadia, and even with me being 100% neutral after I explained how it is supposed to work the first question was "How will this ever work for fast paced games?" (Specifically smash was asked about because one of them really liked that game)

I really had no answer other than to say "we will see!"

We have seen, the high school kids were correct.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

Let's see how Reddit is doing.

Cool.

I actually went and checked 4chan's /v/ board earlier today and there was no stadia thread at all. I don't use 4chan, but you'd think on the day after the launch of a new console they would have some kind of an ongoing chat thread.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

EdEddnEddy posted:

That does make sense.

As someone who has never broken a gamepad yet, what exactly does seem to wear out or break in them for most people? The sticks? Buttons? Battery?

I have seen some worn stick pads, and a few broken sticks from people that treat them like it owes them money, but I still have dual shock 2's that hold a charge and work fine as well as NES and SNES pads that work like the day I got them.

Only gamepad I can complain about is the D-Pad on my Shield Portable. drat thing thinks Down is Right or vise versa. Guess that would be an instance of needing to get inside.
Stick drift always. Maybe my apartment is dusty.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

fargom posted:

So just casually reading this thread over the last day or so...... Has Hostile Apostile admitted to being a Google/Stadia employee in the past, or is he/she/they still just pretending at this point? I mean this poo poo is blatantly obvious my dude.

I bet they're xboxpants

NLJP fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 20, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

The old Wii shop was closed down completely, including for redownloads and system transfers, earlier this year.

lol Nintendo might want to update their support page then.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3764/~/how-to-redownload-wii-shop-channel-content

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Some people look at Stadia launch as a failure. Me? I look at it as a triumph to a man that can fail and trick CEO's to keep hiring him. Who else could pull off the launch failure hat-trick?

https://twitter.com/EdwardTurvey/status/1196864583664898051

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SOON AFTER: "Phil Harrison hired as new head of Bioware"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hey the Ouya had its flaws but I enjoy mine quite a dang bit.

If you expected it to be some PS3/X360 killer you were dumb, but if you expected it to be a $100 android box with a reasonable collection of indie games + Emulator player, it fit the bill at the time perfectly.

Shield TV Pro Trounces it of course now, but it's still one hell of an easily portable box to bring to a party or something to play with friends.

Holy poo poo I never thought I'd see an Ouya defender in 20-freakin-19 lmfao

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
:lol:
GamersNexus pretty much starts their Stadia "review" video with

quote:

Google's old motto used to be "Don't be evil", but to be fair to Google they never had any rules about not being incompetent.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BexGu posted:

Some people look at Stadia launch as a failure. Me? I look at it as a triumph to a man that can fail and trick CEO's to keep hiring him. Who else could pull off the launch failure hat-trick?

and people say that capitalism isn't a meritocracy

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

gschmidl posted:

SOON AFTER: "Phil Harrison hired as new head of Bioware Sumpo Food Holdings'"

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Surely THIS complete shitshow will usher in a new age of economically responsible, quality-demanding g@mers

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BexGu posted:

god dammn this guy must show up to board room meetings with donuts and coffee and tickets to t*m br*dy games or something

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EdEddnEddy posted:

well, at least I have a Chromecast Ultra and a unique and nigh indestructible gamepad.

If the stadia controller had bluetooth I might have looked to pick one up because it seems pretty good. (Other than the non-repairable bit.) Xbox-ish ergonomics and face buttons, full cross d-pad, but DS4 style symmetrical sticks, and long battery life.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

BexGu posted:

Failure isn't really a problem for the corporate aristocracy. On the contrary, I've seen numerous examples of "He has learned the important the hard way - those failures are service medals." and similar bullshit excuses - on the other hand, someone who has never failed (or managed to jump ship before it started sinking) will be lauded for being able to guarantee success. Connections, nepotism, trading favors, or simply being a familiar face, is what decides who fills a vacant corporate fief - meritocracy is for the plebs. Losing a power play or pissing off the wrong people can get you ostracized, but bungling a product launch? Just shift the blame and move on.

The powers-that-be at Google are going to evaluate the launch of Stadia with a different perspective than the gaming media and the consumers/gamers. It can be a colossal commercial and technical failure, but if Wall Street decides it was a bold move that put Google ahead in the race to secure the gaming market of the future, everything is a-ok. If it's a commercial and technical success, but Wall Street feels like it isn't a potential massive growth enabler, then it's going to get retooled into whatever weird abomination can generate the most hype.

Until the world economy becomes a more sane place, products and services from the big corporate players will be surreal pantomime of trying to rustle the jimmies of investors - not produce actual value. And whatever innovation comes out of the tech industry underbrush is going to be bought up or IPO'ed into oblivion. Sorry for the rant and digression, but the Stadia situation is just another example of how the messed-up global economy ruins good things.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Klyith posted:

If the stadia controller had bluetooth I might have looked to pick one up because it seems pretty good. (Other than the non-repairable bit.) Xbox-ish ergonomics and face buttons, full cross d-pad, but DS4 style symmetrical sticks, and long battery life.

Being Nvidia uses the Shield Remote in the same way (WiFi Direct of sorts), I wonder if it can work with the Shield TV with other games.

If its completely wired only for use anywhere but Stadia then yea I may just return the kit. Guess we will see.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Any update on possible devs/publishers jumping ship yet, or was that just some random Twitter dude trying to get in on the dogpile for some clout?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EdEddnEddy posted:

If its completely wired only for use anywhere but Stadia then yea I may just return the kit. Guess we will see.

Well it's got a bluetooth radio in it, and google is like "functionality may be implemented at a later date".

But when they've failed at doing things they actually promised, the maybes look pretty dim.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

American McGay posted:

Any update on possible devs/publishers jumping ship yet, or was that just some random Twitter dude trying to get in on the dogpile for some clout?

Naughty Dog is confirmed as of this morning to not be developing for Stadia.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

American McGay posted:

it was the latter but he's probably right

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Imagine hanging out with all your friends and having a blast and then someone comes in with wine coolers and the loving OUYA like hey let's party.

Just kidding OUYA owner in 2019 certainly does not have friends

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

While the tech seems unfeasible to us all currently, the main draw I can see with Stadia, GeforceNOW, and Xbox's future implementation of streaming games, is mainly all these companies trying to cash into the gaming market, without having to develop and support physical hardware that is sold to consumers. The gaming industry is worth Billions and everyone wants a piece of that pie. The first company that can Crack that Streaming goldmine and successfully replace users going out to buy Consoles or dedicated gaming PC's is supposedly going to be the "winner" however the technology, while improved from years past still has the limitation of latency/internet access/data caps/etc.

It's not like they don't know that its all a gamble and most gamers would still prefer a local run game over a remote streamed one, but if they could somehow crack that boundary, they could potentially really shift the landscape.

Is now that time? Doesn't look like it, but, it is getting better slowly and someday it may actually happen. Hell the cloud service industry was a pipe dream in the early 2000's and now is pretty much everywhere, Steam has almost completely replaced physical purchase games, Streaming may eventually at least go side by side physical systems for a lot of users that don't have the physical hardware, but want to play some of the latest games without the investment.

They aren't just throwing $ into the void here, they are just trying to time a market that may or may not materialize which is the gamble each streaming service is going to do until one actually hits and sticks. Sadly while the idea is there, they really are lacking the correct people to advise them (or are just blatantly ignoring them) on what to put on the service and how to go about marketing it. (EG the on display failures of their time, twitchy multiplayer games that depend on low latency to actually play well, etc. Hell Battletech would have been an excellent launch title on Stadia.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'm impressed by how thin on the ground Stadia news is. There's no technical analysis for the bulk of the games out there, probably because no codes were provided and every reviewer is refusing to throw money Google's way.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

While the tech seems unfeasible to us all currently, the main draw I can see with Stadia, GeforceNOW, and Xbox's future implementation of streaming games, is mainly all these companies trying to cash into the gaming market, without having to develop and support physical hardware that is sold to consumers. The gaming industry is worth Billions and everyone wants a piece of that pie. The first company that can Crack that Streaming goldmine and successfully replace users going out to buy Consoles or dedicated gaming PC's is supposedly going to be the "winner" however the technology, while improved from years past still has the limitation of latency/internet access/data caps/etc.

It's not like they don't know that its all a gamble and most gamers would still prefer a local run game over a remote streamed one, but if they could somehow crack that boundary, they could potentially really shift the landscape.

Is now that time? Doesn't look like it, but, it is getting better slowly and someday it may actually happen. Hell the cloud service industry was a pipe dream in the early 2000's and now is pretty much everywhere, Steam has almost completely replaced physical purchase games, Streaming may eventually at least go side by side physical systems for a lot of users that don't have the physical hardware, but want to play some of the latest games without the investment.

They aren't just throwing $ into the void here, they are just trying to time a market that may or may not materialize which is the gamble each streaming service is going to do until one actually hits and sticks. Sadly while the idea is there, they really are lacking the correct people to advise them (or are just blatantly ignoring them) on what to put on the service and how to go about marketing it. (EG the on display failures of their time, twitchy multiplayer games that depend on low latency to actually play well, etc. Hell Battletech would have been an excellent launch title on Stadia.)

There haven't been massive positive changes to the actual core gameplay of games in the last decade, I can count on one hand the games on PS4/XB1 that would have been completely impossible to make on the PS3 or XBox 360 with a talented team without serious gameplay compromises; remember the PS3/360 had very playable versions of games like Destiny, Grand Theft Auto V, and both parts of Metal Gear Solid V, to name a few titles. And this is especially true when thinking about what's in store for the next generation. Most people are still happily plunking away at 1080p on the PS4's and aren't really chomping at the bit for an upgrade. Many are also happily playing tons of "demastered" titles on Switch and having a blast.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Imagine hanging out with all your friends and having a blast and then someone comes in with wine coolers and the loving OUYA like hey let's party.

Just kidding OUYA owner in 2019 certainly does not have friends

Ouya has provided many good Bombsquad, YDKJ, and Super Indie Karts Evenings.

It's not about having friends, it's having friends that don't know any better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

univbee posted:

Most people are still happily plunking away at 1080p on the PS4's and aren't really chomping at the bit for an upgrade. Many are also happily playing tons of "demastered" titles on Switch and having a blast.

People said the same thing about the PS3/360 generation. There was constant doomsaying about how the PS4 generation might be the last one for proper consoles because people don't want more of them.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 20, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

shadow puppet of a posted:

Naughty Dog is confirmed as of this morning to not be developing for Stadia.
Right after (I assume) Sony slid a nice check across the desk to them

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ouya has provided many good Bombsquad, YDKJ, and Super Indie Karts Evenings.

It's not about having friends, it's having friends that don't know any better.

Also Ouya funded the development of towerfall which is one of the best couch multiplayer games ever

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

univbee posted:

There haven't been massive positive changes to the actual core gameplay of games in the last decade, I can count on one hand the games on PS4/XB1 that would have been completely impossible to make on the PS3 or XBox 360 with a talented team without serious gameplay compromises; remember the PS3/360 had very playable versions of games like Destiny, Grand Theft Auto V, and both parts of Metal Gear Solid V, to name a few titles. And this is especially true when thinking about what's in store for the next generation. Most people are still happily plunking away at 1080p on the PS4's and aren't really chomping at the bit for an upgrade. Many are also happily playing tons of "demastered" titles on Switch and having a blast.

Oh I totally agree. What I am saying is they all hope/think this will be the future. I am not saying it is or will be, but the Corp's at Be want it to be so they don't have to create any future Switches/Xboxes/PS#'s and everyone can just use a gamepad and their Phone/TV/etc that is platform agnostic and play their games.

What I forsee though if it happens, is once one company sort of Breaks the market and people start adopting, we are going to get yet another friggin Streaming service for each of the "Exclusives" like our Current Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney+/Hulu/HBO/CBS/NBC/Halmark/whateverthefuck apps that you have to subscribe to to watch/play the game you want.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

People said the same thing about the PS3/360 generation. There was constant doomsaying about how the PS4 generation was going to be the last one for proper consoles because people don't want more of them.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens with the next gen systems. The PS3 and 360 had issues, especially on the OS level since both systems went through a level of changes neither company had foreseen due to the rise of digital downloading and streaming, and things like social media, not to mention there was an avenue for production with the PS4 and XB1 to be more efficient, but hardware costs haven't changed that much so making some fancy-pants new console late 2020 that's supposed to do things the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X can't do is a somewhat questionable pitch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Oh I totally agree. What I am saying is they all hope/think this will be the future. I am not saying it is or will be, but the Corp's at Be want it to be so they don't have to create any future Switches/Xboxes/PS#'s and everyone can just use a gamepad and their Phone/TV/etc that is platform agnostic and play their games.

What I forsee though if it happens, is once one company sort of Breaks the market and people start adopting, we are going to get yet another friggin Streaming service for each of the "Exclusives" like our Current Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney+/Hulu/HBO/CBS/NBC/Halmark/whateverthefuck apps that you have to subscribe to to watch/play the game you want.
Possibly, although I think it is more likely that each console has one since they are expensive to operate and I don’t think some of these companies could pull that off by themselves

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

The biggest thing that is missing is a must have title that you need Stadia for.

It's going to be hard to convince someone to buy Stadia on 22 games, when almost all of them are games you can easily get elsewhere and for systems with more games, which the market likely has.

This to me is the biggest problem. The Nintendo Switch launched with only nine games, one of them Just Dance. But Just Dance fits the Switch thanks to the joycons, and two of the other five games were 2017's Game of the Year Zelda Breath of the Wild and 1-2-3 Switch which, although a poor game, is an excellent demonstration of things you can do with the Switch that you can't with any other console. Also of the nine titles five were exclusive. Meanwhile of the 22 Stadia games I don't think I've seen the Stadia experience of any of them talked about positively, and some have been jokes (mostly lag related, but there's needing two phones for Just Dance and the emptiness of Destiny). Stadia offers nothing exciting to early adopters with Gylt on 69 on Metacritic.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

EdEddnEddy posted:

We already have that, it's Origin, Uplay Plus or whatever it's called, Game Pass, PS Now, PS Plus, etc.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, I think Game Pass/PS Now are going to grow in the future as a business model, but with the caveat that they will always offer an avenue to run that poo poo locally as well as stream. Cloud-only is making your service extra complicated for what's almost invariably a worse experience for the end user.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

univbee posted:

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens with the next gen systems. The PS3 and 360 had issues, especially on the OS level since both systems went through a level of changes neither company had foreseen due to the rise of digital downloading and streaming, and things like social media, not to mention there was an avenue for production with the PS4 and XB1 to be more efficient, but hardware costs haven't changed that much so making some fancy-pants new console late 2020 that's supposed to do things the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X can't do is a somewhat questionable pitch.

And essentially Consoles have gotten a lot easier since both of the big ones are literally just specific custom PC's and look to continue that trend into the future. This both has the benefit of having upgraded hardware come out mid lifecycle that doesn't completely screw up your current game collection, but also makes maintaining backwards compatibility essentially easy as hell going forward (We all hope with Scarlet/PS5 right?)

I would think it would be extremely advantageous to allow your shiny new console play all the games of the previous one, either the same or better, as well as provide the platform to play whatever new experiences you have planned or may have come up down the line, but I am a PC guy mostly so what do I know. (boot's up a dos game from 1994 to shot down some ME262's in a P51).

Overall the Gaming market itself has gotten pretty drat broad with the rise of Mobile tech, consoles getting better at providing proper 60FPS gameplay at actually 1080P and eventually 4K, and even new tech like VR actually catching on nicely. Where Streaming actually fits in will be anyone's guess currently. Will it just be a Niche, or can it actually find a place among the crowd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'm going to enjoy waiting for the PS5 to drop, building a computer that kicks the poo poo out of it, than not having to get another computer for like 7 years.