Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

did microsoft services just stop for a moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

duz posted:

Am I the only flipper handed mutant that used the edge of their palm to hit the ctrl key?

i've remapped capslock to also act as lctrl an aeon ago, never looked back. capslock is such a worthless loving key hogging some prime keyboard realestate jesus christ

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

open concept office goons: What do you do to combat annoying rear end office radio? It's a small room and the office manager apparently feels the need to have music playing 24/7, even when she's in meetings or out of the office and not sitting at her desk. I can only stand to wear my over-ear headphones for so long and if I hear "Come On Eileen" one more time (it played at least three separate times today) I'm going to cut my ears off my head. If we had partitions, it would at least reflect some of the sound and make it a little quieter, but alas. Do I just need to invest in some foam earplugs?

It’s unreasonable to pump music into an open office environment so maybe start by just saying how you really can’t concentrate when there’s some garbage commercial station on that has a playlist about 16 songs long. If the headphones are uncomfortable then see if you can expense some better noise cancelling ones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

incoherent posted:

did microsoft services just stop for a moment?
yeah they poo poo the bed all over australia and new zealand.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Arquinsiel posted:

Basically yeah.

And then conduct counter-warfare with your own lovely internet radio.

Wait until they turn the volume up to drown you out, and then engage in a volume war until management brings the music-hammer down

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

klosterdev posted:

Wait until they turn the volume up to drown you out, and then engage in a volume war until management brings the music-hammer down
I see you've played knifey-spooney before.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

duz posted:

Am I the only flipper handed mutant that used the edge of their palm to hit the ctrl key?

Of course not, that's how you'd hold down run in doom on your 486.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

i've remapped capslock to also act as lctrl an aeon ago, never looked back. capslock is such a worthless loving key hogging some prime keyboard realestate jesus christ

Same, i find it much more comfortable. I also remapped left ctrl to F13, which, in combination with autohotkey, practically gives me another modifier key.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rexxed posted:

Of course not, that's how you'd hold down run in doom on your 486.

It's not IPX
There's no way it's IPX
It was IPX

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Arquinsiel posted:

Basically yeah.

And then conduct counter-warfare with your own lovely internet radio.

GBS.fm still exists! Half an hour of Merzbow, nyan cat songs, blackened death metal, GBS post-rave memes from the early 2000s and Anal oval office tracks should be enough to get office radio banned.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Entropist posted:

GBS.fm still exists! Half an hour of Merzbow, nyan cat songs, blackened death metal, GBS post-rave memes from the early 2000s and Anal oval office tracks should be enough to get office radio banned.
:catstare:

I'm... going to bookmark this for later.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Arquinsiel posted:

I've noticed a lot of people know either Ctrl + C or Ctrl + X but not both. I very rarely use Ctrl + X myself unless I have a huge list and need to track which ones I have left to action but also don't need the list to remain intact.

Ctrl-X is useful in a chat situation where you start typing something, the other person says something, and you wanna respond right away to the new message.

Also when you wanna shift your code around.

Still waiting on that prod access.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I find it weird that I seem to be the only person I know who uses Shift-Delete/Ctrl-Insert/Shift-Insert for cut/copy/paste. Was there some point where those were the only way of doing cut/copy/paste or something because I can't think why I do that instead of Ctrl-X/C/V.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mech-based affinity for the right hand side of the keyboard?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Truga posted:

Not when you use caps lock instead of shift to capitalize letters!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arquinsiel posted:

Mech-based affinity for the right hand side of the keyboard?

Nah, Mechwarrior 2 was like 95? I would have been using Windows 3.0 and 3.1/11 before that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

open concept office goons: What do you do to combat annoying rear end office radio? It's a small room and the office manager apparently feels the need to have music playing 24/7, even when she's in meetings or out of the office and not sitting at her desk. I can only stand to wear my over-ear headphones for so long and if I hear "Come On Eileen" one more time (it played at least three separate times today) I'm going to cut my ears off my head. If we had partitions, it would at least reflect some of the sound and make it a little quieter, but alas. Do I just need to invest in some foam earplugs?

Louder speakers or better headphones.

In all seriousness I have a bad habit of collecting things like headphones and keyboards, so I just bring stuff I haven't used recently to work and let my coworkers try it out for extended periods of time.
It seems to work out pretty well. It validates my addiction, and everyone gets to try out some cool gear that they wouldn't otherwise have known existed.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Entropist posted:

Was about to post this. Alternatively, load up Spotify and stream some grindcore. :black101:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GreenNight posted:

Like the old joke hit alt+f4 for all your needs to be met.

If you've never gotten a suspension in WoW for telling someone that Alt-F4 would increase their framerate by 20fps in Barrens chat, are you really a Pro Gamer?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Louder speakers or better headphones.

In all seriousness I have a bad habit of collecting things like headphones and keyboards, so I just bring stuff I haven't used recently to work and let my coworkers try it out for extended periods of time.
It seems to work out pretty well. It validates my addiction, and everyone gets to try out some cool gear that they wouldn't otherwise have known existed.

What all you got there? Looks like some Minimuses, but what's in the stack? Also the headphone holder thingy.

I'm running a Marantz 2245 on my desk.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ghostnuke posted:

What all you got there? Looks like some Minimuses, but what's in the stack? Also the headphone holder thingy.

I'm running a Marantz 2245 on my desk.

That's an old pic, so it's not my current setup but...
Teac UD-501
Teac AX-501
Minimus 12's with custom crossovers.
The headphones are Phillips Fidelio x2 but there's no headphone holder. They're just standing up on their own.
I had brought my Kef LS-50's in for a while, but they're overkill and deserve to shine on my desk at home, not waste away in an office.

I'm moving towards a more slender setup though. I'm using my Focusrite 2i2 + headphones currently.
Once I switch to my new monitors, I'll be mounting a QSC SPA2-60 on the underside of my desk to power a pair of Realistic Minimus 7's for maximum desk real estate availability, and using the Focusrite as a headphone amp and monitor volume control.
All that's left to do is figure out where to store all my headphones and install my clamp style boom mic stand for my LDC mic.
I'm trying to get as much stuff off the 4'x3' desk as possible.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Truga posted:

tHIS SEEMS LIKE IT COULD HAVE UNINTENDED SIDE EFFECTS.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I use capslock all the time :colbert:

(it's a fantastic push to talk button)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Anyone have any job openings? Someone on the enterprise security team decided the Windows vulnerability here needed to be fixed:
https://www.tenable.com/plugins/nessus/65057

They decided to do so by sending a command to find every .exe that's not in System32, write the file path to a text file, then iterate over the text file to...

...wait for it...

Use icacls to Deny all permissions to Everyone, Authenticated Users, Domain Users, and Users.

Also, it's :yaybutt:'s big annual convention is happening right now. It's called Dreamforce. You might have heard of it. It's kind of a big deal.

poo poo only got out to a few hundred users, but most of them are developers, and holy poo poo this is a disaster. Like, my team isn't responsible, but we're the only ones who seem to know how to potentially unfuck it. I'm already getting my max raise/bonus for the year, but I'm going to be asking for some kind of recompense for the amount of stress this is causing.

Entropist posted:

Holy gently caress, you listen to Merzbow?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Got a helpdesk opening in Chicago, just awaiting the job spec/posting and I'll share it in the job fair thread.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Use icacls to Deny all permissions to Everyone, Authenticated Users, Domain Users, and Users.
everytime i come in here to complain about something there's a post like this that makes my problems seem so incredibly insignificant.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Got a helpdesk opening in Chicago, just awaiting the job spec/posting and I'll share it in the job fair thread.

Hey, these folks seem like good people to work for.

Did you guys ever get an admin/engineer? Supposedly, your manager and head of HR liked me but :someone: balked at the salary I was looking for. (I'm now making 10k more than what I asked for from your company)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

I actually don't have any content. Just pure :catstare:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MF_James posted:

Hey, these folks seem like good people to work for.

Did you guys ever get an admin/engineer? Supposedly, your manager and head of HR liked me but :someone: balked at the salary I was looking for. (I'm now making 10k more than what I asked for from your company)

Yes, he just started last week. Not sure what he's making, but he commutes all the way in from Sycamore, IL (to downtown Chicago).

That someone who balked at salary left a long time ago. Would be nice if we could have people in HR who aren't literally working their first job out of college.

On top of that, my incredibly toxic co-worker got his rear end fired two weeks ago today after going AWOL and claiming he slept until 5pm. Hence the opening, and I'm glad he's gone. Now I like working here even more :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yes, he just started last week. Not sure what he's making, but he commutes all the way in from Sycamore, IL (to downtown Chicago).

That someone who balked at salary left a long time ago. Would be nice if we could have people in HR who aren't literally working their first job out of college.

On top of that, my incredibly toxic co-worker got his rear end fired two weeks ago today after going AWOL and claiming he slept until 5pm. Hence the opening, and I'm glad he's gone. Now I like working here even more :)

Nice! Glad to hear it, that dude is loving crazy for commuting from sycamore, that's at minimum 1.25hrs without traffic.

I'd probably have re-applied there if I had known all that, I'd rather be internal somewhere than at another MSP.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well he's taking the Metra, and has chosen the trains with the shortest travel times, so it seems to suit him. And he's planning to move closer to the city in the next 2-3 years.

Should he decide to move on, I'll let you know! :)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Panthrax posted:

Not when you use caps lock instead of shift to capitalize letters!

my boss does this, it unsettles me in an indescribable way

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bell jar posted:

my boss does this, it unsettles me in an indescribable way

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

I use capslock all the time :colbert:

(it's a fantastic push to talk button)

i use the rightmost button on my mouse for that. the third one, that most mice don't have anymore nowdays :v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Truga posted:

i use the rightmost button on my mouse for that. the third one, that most mice don't have anymore nowdays :v:

I use one of the 2 thumb buttons all but the cheapest mouse has nowadays

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Anyone have any job openings? Someone on the enterprise security team decided the Windows vulnerability here needed to be fixed:
https://www.tenable.com/plugins/nessus/65057
This is one of the reasons that Qualys is worth the cash if you've got it. Holy gently caress that's uninformative.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

This is one of the reasons that Qualys is worth the cash if you've got it. Holy gently caress that's uninformative.

Ehhh that's just the baseline for it.

It's pointing out an issue that a windows service has the noted groups with full control, it will specifically state the exe (or service, I forget which) in question in the scan output. It's not hard to deal with in a sane manner, which obviously did not happen in that instance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And we got annoyed when Keep Blue caused security to block RDP to any workstation except from whitelisted jump boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MF_James posted:

Ehhh that's just the baseline for it.

It's pointing out an issue that a windows service has the noted groups with full control, it will specifically state the exe (or service, I forget which) in question in the scan output. It's not hard to deal with in a sane manner, which obviously did not happen in that instance.
I've generally found Nessus to be a little bit less specific than Qualys anyway. This would likely be a unique finding for every instance of a vulnerable .exe in Qualys. Obviously I can't say for certain without seeing the scan, but I have access to both and I know which one I use.