Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

iospace posted:

:qq:

Seriously, stop being mad at video games

Out of all the posts that guy and Blaziken made you had to choose the one where they were completely right to respond to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the mods are so bad on this forum lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Super No Vacancy posted:

the mods are so bad on this forum lol

It's a requirement :negative:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Polderjoch posted:

Glad people are using Hoenn as examples of having good location design, in terms of exploration original Hoenn is one of the best examples I can think of for progression out of really any linear game period. It's amazing how every single time you hit a milestone like a bike or a gym you basically get the choice to either beeline to your objective or spend hours faffing about and exploring all the new stuff that opens up to you while also ultimately bringing you to your destination.

Sinnoh had that too sort of but sinnoh also had a garbage progression from like gym 4 to 8

The acro bike and the mach bike were sick

Instead of putting on a dorky rotom uniform why can't they just give every Pokemon with the ability to learn an HM the ability to use it with the gym badge? Forget making it a move, just let them always have that ability. That makes more sense and would be more fun. Let me surf on my dudes, drat it

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
why are so many of you dipshits taking "linear" to mean "has an entrance and an exit". thats like every area in every non-open world game. the complaint is that the routes have nothing to do except travel from that entrance to that exit basically until you get the water bike upgrade

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Zodack posted:

The acro bike and the mach bike were sick

Instead of putting on a dorky rotom uniform why can't they just give every Pokemon with the ability to learn an HM the ability to use it with the gym badge? Forget making it a move, just let them always have that ability. That makes more sense and would be more fun. Let me surf on my dudes, drat it

I think my favourite bit about the mach/acro bike is that every time you pass by mauville you can swap your bike and be ready because the next area you reach will need the bike you just swapped to, as long as you start with mach.
I still think having two bikes is dumb and unnecessary but at least they made the bad mechanic as good as possible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i have got to catch them all

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

absolutely anything posted:

why are so many of you dipshits taking "linear" to mean "has an entrance and an exit". thats like every area in every non-open world game. the complaint is that the routes have nothing to do except travel from that entrance to that exit basically until you get the water bike upgrade

Thank you.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kirios posted:

r/pokemon is utterly devastated by the news that Sword/Shield is a sales success. If you enjoy reading schadenfreude, I highly recommend lurking there this morning.

I've done it because I'm a horrible human.

"Honestly, even my own boycott was only meant to last for the initial few weeks because I just didn't want to contribute to their key opening sales."

lmao

Also there's a whole thread of posts of just people posting that they are replaying the old pokemon games instead. It's so good.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 21, 2019

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm divided on the Wild Area.

Positives: Huge Pokémon variety -- it's a delight to see the sheer number you can find in the wild, including some that have normally been trade evolution only, and there's tons of unexpected surprises
Robust rotating set of Pokémon, berries, and items to come for daily
Some TRs were traditionally move tutor moves always reserved for the second, later versions, but are present in this baseline version and that is awesome
Raid battles provide a reasonable way to fish for good IVs and hidden abilities
It's immersive to see other players out and about, and to see their unique outfits and nicknamed Pokémon in raid battles

Negatives: Pokémon selection rotating daily means that you'll miss out on all sorts of Pokémon, some of which have very specific spawn conditions. If you don't trade with someone or get lucky with raid battles, you will miss out
The landscape itself is very bland; just forest, boulders, plains, and ponds
The wild area itself is surprisingly small and never expands -- I thought it would stretch further north
The sudden weather shifts, N64 trees sprinkled everywhere and choppy performance kills my immersion
The NPC partners for raids tend to utterly suck and will sabotage harder raids with their underpowered Pokémon
It's surprisingly hard to get into online raids; even if you've just refreshed the list, the ones you want will probably give you an error message and boot you out

I think that the wild areas' existence has compromised the quantity of traditional routes or dungeons in the game. I would have preferred a more robust selection of Pokémon out of the wild area to reduce the amount of RNG involved in filling the Pokédex.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Have hackers figured out how to watch the Pokemon breed yet?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

What pokemon really needs is more minigames again. Not just bringing back the slot machines or Mantine surfing, but so much more.

Come on, let me earn cash by mowing the lawn with Rotom-Mow or play whack-a-mole with some Diglett

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I had a moment where I remembered the announcer from Stadium 2 and thought it would be really cool to have that for the League battles in SwSh. I didn't expect the lack of voice acting to hit so hard on a console game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pikachu should have a loving gun

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gotta say I'm kinda sick of hail and how omnipresent it seems

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Cavauro posted:

I'm the only one who isn't mad. but i'm secretly kind of mad about not having a grookey. Smell ya later!

do you want one?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I've done it because I'm a horrible human.

"Honestly, even my own boycott was only meant to last for the initial few weeks because I just didn't want to contribute to their key opening sales."

lmao

Also there's a whole thread of posts of just people posting that they are replaying the old pokemon games instead. It's so good.

I'm not entirely sure why anyone thought a boycott would do anything, especially in this case. If every adult fan boycotted the game it still would be a top seller since kids would be getting it anyways.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

DemoneeHo posted:

What pokemon really needs is more minigames again. Not just bringing back the slot machines or Mantine surfing, but so much more.

Come on, let me earn cash by mowing the lawn with Rotom-Mow or play whack-a-mole with some Diglett

even though it was kind of janky i really enjoyed flying through the portals for the legendaries

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm not entirely sure why anyone thought a boycott would do anything, especially in this case. If every adult fan boycotted the game it still would be a top seller since kids would be getting it anyways.

This is why I'm boycotting having kids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of the "old Pokemon wasn't like (x)" stuff genuinely comes across as "new games don't make me feel the same way I did when I was 12" more than anything.

Admittedly I am biased because Pokemon Let's Go and SwSh having Pokemon walking around and part of the environment was ten billion times more exciting to me than anything in the last 3 mainline games.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Are the trade names for Sawk and Throh (Bluebop and Reddos) references to Bebop (Spike) and Thanos, since those guys are respectively lanky and liney-faced?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Are you folks just running end to end? I spend about 45 minutes on each route just chasing TMs and catching Pokemon, and I'm sure I'm missing some. What else do you want? To select a Pokemon to Cut a tree from time to time?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't think a boycott would do anything because the boycotters are more childish than kids.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
The route between Slateport and Mauville (1) and the Road to Treefort (2) I think are the peak of GameFreak's route design. Returning to areas with new tools to make new discoveries is fun especially when you given one path and can just see this other path and items you can't access yet.

1. The cycling road being just overhead and you can only get on it after you go through the lower path is effective. Once you get the bike here's an entire strip to battle along. (I don't remember the sequence of the game if you have to go back down to Slateport to really hammer this part home.) This route also has surf and access to an entirely optional power plant dungeon.

2. The same is true here with the winding ascend alongside waterfalls and an area for the acro bike, which is you didn't bring is yet another reason to return here. And if you didn't bring the bike... you get fly access from the closest town. I think its the 'upper' and 'lower' paths to the area that help build up a traversing atmosphere. BW and XY have this in places, and it just works for the adventure. The goon who pointed this out about BW nailed it, a straight shot with rewarding detours works great.

But really, having Hoenn as a large loop for the first 5 gyms improves the journey of point A to point B since between them you saw but couldn't dive into points AA, AB, AC, AD...

Seems unfortunate if Galar doesn't have that.

The real crime is dependent on this question:
Can you pet the pokemon when you camp?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/SakugaBlog/status/1197624749943394304?s=19

Cool article about animation production.

Also bw1 has the best routes. Short n direct with a ton of stuff on the side.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Are you folks just running end to end? I spend about 45 minutes on each route just chasing TMs and catching Pokemon, and I'm sure I'm missing some. What else do you want? To select a Pokemon to Cut a tree from time to time?

call it a hunch but i'm sure a post or two in the last several pages could help you find the answer to your question, they're about as well hidden as those tms too so you shouldn't have any problem finding them

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

So, on Serebii, it says some pokemon are "underground". How does one get there in the wild area?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-P5JX_DIQQ

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of the "old Pokemon wasn't like (x)" stuff genuinely comes across as "new games don't make me feel the same way I did when I was 12" more than anything.

Admittedly I am biased because Pokemon Let's Go and SwSh having Pokemon walking around and part of the environment was ten billion times more exciting to me than anything in the last 3 mainline games.

For all my bitching I think SwooSh added some awesome and overdue features like pokemon being visible in the overworld or music that's actually good instead of sounding like a robot farting through a brass section's worth of trumpets (looking at you sapphire/ruby). The problem is that we lost a lot in the process.

Now, not everyone enjoys finding hidden legendary poke hideouts long after completing the game or doing optional dungeons on the way to gyms, but it was a huge part of why I loved the GB and DS games.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 21, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:golfclap:

That said, it turns out "underground" is "large expanse of dirt without tall grass on it that has overworld spawns on it regularly".

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

call it a hunch but i'm sure a post or two in the last several pages could help you find the answer to your question, they're about as well hidden as those tms too so you shouldn't have any problem finding them

Goddamn, you convinced me. Drop GameFreak into a pit, every last lazy developer. How dare they disrespect their fans like this?

#GameFreakLied
#BoycottPokemon
#PokemonDeservesABetterGame

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Abundant Atrophy posted:

The real crime is dependent on this question:
Can you pet the pokemon when you camp?

Unless it's in the toys the currydex unlocks...you can play fetch or wave a feather thing that they get angry at...and that's it. There is no petting.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Goddamn, you convinced me. Drop GameFreak into a pit, every last lazy developer. How dare they disrespect their fans like this?

#GameFreakLied
#BoycottPokemon

definitely what i said, and what others in this thread have been saying too :rolleyes:

gently caress off loser

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Y'all talking way too much about boycotts and not enough about whimsicotts

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

#GameFreakLied
#BoycottPokemon

why is it whenever someone brings up any sort of complaint with the game people feel the need to create a strawman like this instead of just responding like a normal person

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
press f to pay respects to all the cool features gamefreak adds, then immediately abandons for features that will themselves get summarily axed

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ibram Gaunt posted:

why is it whenever someone brings up any sort of complaint with the game people feel the need to create a strawman like this instead of just responding like a normal person

Because half the people doing it are doing it in bad faith?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Syenite posted:

press f to pay respects to all the cool features gamefreak adds, then immediately abandons for features that will themselves get summarily axed

I will trade every good feature implemented into current Pokemon as we know it in order to have Pokemon follow + ride for the full dex

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

iospace posted:

Because half the people doing it are doing it in bad faith?

I am going to assure you, my entire posting in this thread is in good faith.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Eimi posted:

Unless it's in the toys the currydex unlocks...you can play fetch or wave a feather thing that they get angry at...and that's it. There is no petting.

My heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I don't understand why we can't let our Pokemon follow us again if they were capable of adding all these overworld Pokemon :sigh: