Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I used to get that but not anymore. I have no more insight than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is anyone else getting random rainbow colored boxes on the right side of their screen after one of the most recent patches? My build is an i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI for reference. It started around 2 days ago, when I also found that the patch had reset my graphics settings.

I had that exact same issue with a 1080Ti just after launch but only in snowy scenes. Not sure what caused it or if a driver update fixed it. But it's gone

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Transmogrifier posted:

Also: Agarita only appears at night.

I'm aware (using this helpful map), but it can spawn in several different locations. I got it immediately when I logged on after posting that.

Completed the tarot cards, too. Thanks to whomever recommended the Collector certification, now I got a big wad of cash. How much do bounties pay on average?

Any particular guns to beeline for?

Also, where can I find the Klan? I wanna try out some dynamite.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Capn Beeb posted:

There's no incentive to help people not in your posse other than XP and corpse looting.

I had a dude revive my rear end after getting 1-shot by an NPC (apparently they can get headshots too :v:) right as I was finishing up clearing a stranger event. I freed the stranger but told him to go ahead and loot everything since he saved my rear end.

So you may get free loot by being a good dude too!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Elendil004 posted:

How are folks taking nice screenshots online?

I just use the Windows key + PrntScn and it saves a png right to the windows pictures/screenshots folder.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Is there any way for me to hunt the Legendary Pronghorn? if I'm still in Chpt 3? Tried going near Blackwater but I get murdered by bounty hunters everytime. I really want the talisman it makes (carcass doesn't rot on your horse anymore)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Nah, things out west are story gated. I wonder if one could use a trainer to turn off the insta-wanted level and invisible snipers, though...

Also I hope single player gets some things from Online ported over

https://i.imgur.com/0Pq7EO3.mp4

I really like spinning my gun, but Arthur doesn't do fancy tricks :(

Noirex
May 30, 2006

That sucks, but at least I can stop wasting my time trying. On a positive note, I have 3 satchels made already, so making good process. Hunting in RD2 is surprisingly addictive, getting food/gear ready and setting off without a map, setting up camp, making coffee and smoking while waiting for the prey etc is so wonderfully atmospheric.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

I'm aware (using this helpful map), but it can spawn in several different locations. I got it immediately when I logged on after posting that.

Completed the tarot cards, too. Thanks to whomever recommended the Collector certification, now I got a big wad of cash. How much do bounties pay on average?

Any particular guns to beeline for?

Also, where can I find the Klan? I wanna try out some dynamite.

Bounties don't pay a lot, and it depends on when you turn them in since, for some stupid rear end reason in this game, you get more XP and cash the less time there is on a clock. Grab the varmint and bolt action if you have not already as they are going to be your go-to hunting ones.

Klan does not appear to exist in multiplayer afaik. You'll find them out in Lemoyne and even out in West Elizabeth in single player.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Transmogrifier posted:

Klan does not appear to exist in multiplayer afaik.

That sucks. I promised my friend we could hunt klansmen together if he'd join me. :sigh:

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

SplitSoul posted:

That sucks. I promised my friend we could hunt klansmen together if he'd join me. :sigh:

Plenty of players find it funny to dress as klansmen. You may yet keep your promise.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

So everyone talks about how the collector is the best way to make money. I went to the collector chick and she wants 15 gold bars....I have like 1. Is there a painfree way to get the remaining 14 that doesn't involve the rockstar store?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Nope.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Why did I seem to have enough gold to sign up for all 3 roles at the start? Was it from preordering the cheapest version of the game or one of those activities we could do in gta5 that gave you benefits in rdr?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Preordering the cheapest version on the rockstar store gave you enough gold to unlock all three roles if you weren't seduced by the dark side and bought awesome hats and dusters.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Sigh. Here I go, being a paypig again....

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

FileNotFound posted:

Sigh. Here I go, being a paypig again....

If it makes you feel better, I dropped $10 to get some gold and got a badass shotgun and the collector bag. :buddy:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FileNotFound posted:

So everyone talks about how the collector is the best way to make money. I went to the collector chick and she wants 15 gold bars....I have like 1. Is there a painfree way to get the remaining 14 that doesn't involve the rockstar store?

Do daily objectives for about two weeks. r/RedDeadDailies

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Saul Kain posted:

If it makes you feel better, I dropped $10 to get some gold and got a badass shotgun and the collector bag. :buddy:

I don't mind spending the $ - but it does feel slimy that it costs so much to get a profession. I just didn't expect it, I have been playing it casually and when I logged in it told me to "Go to soadnaso and become a collector!" and I was thinking "Hey neat, I was thinking about doing exactly that...I'll go talk to her!" - 10 minute ride later I get to her and she says I got to pay - no worries I got like $200 - that ought to be enough...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Do daily objectives for about two weeks. r/RedDeadDailies

Yeah. Sounds like I'm paypigging.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When people say they make money via collector, they mean they stare at an interactive map/cheat sheet and go from blip to blip for what I assume is several hours. Probably the least fun thing I can think of, aside from Long Distance Trade runs

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Collector is definitely worth the investment if you like that kind of thing. With hunting (small + large game, good+ pelts/carcasses) you can get about $40 - $70 per trip of half an hour, which is not shabby. Collector however is a different ballpark entirely; I started collector on Friday and between stuff I've randomly found while hunting and from maps, and following one cycle's full route (about 6hrs over 3 days) I made 20 collector ranks and about $3000 in a week.

Compared to the bounty hunter or trader grind its simply no contest even if you're only doing the odd collector map combined with hunting. As a huge bonus, unlike trader you don't have to putz around with trying to set up Camp, or having deliveries get jacked/bug out/disconnect, or for bountyhunters having to sit outside the jail to max out your bounty. It's relatively hasslefree.

I do appreciate that, most of the time, collector items can be found in logical places and points of interests like shacks, distinct trees, etc

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

When people say they make money via collector, they mean they stare at an interactive map/cheat sheet and go from blip to blip for what I assume is several hours. Probably the least fun thing I can think of, aside from Long Distance Trade runs

The returns per hour invested appear to be several times higher and more consistent. That's why I'm drawn to it. I don't intend to make it "the thing that I do in the game" - I intend to make it a way to earn money in the game to deck myself out and do fun stuff like bounties.

I see it like ratting/mining in EVE - not fun, but use it to fund fun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

I don't mind spending the $ - but it does feel slimy that it costs so much to get a profession. I just didn't expect it, I have been playing it casually and when I logged in it told me to "Go to soadnaso and become a collector!" and I was thinking "Hey neat, I was thinking about doing exactly that...I'll go talk to her!" - 10 minute ride later I get to her and she says I got to pay - no worries I got like $200 - that ought to be enough...

Yeah. Sounds like I'm paypigging.

Yeah if rdo is going to follow the trajectory of gtao, you can expect more of this. The online and associated updates are “free”; however, participating in the cool new content that comes out will require either grinding out the currency or dropping real $$$ to save some time.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

You get Treasure Maps in your mail every 5 levels, and you can get more from random treasure hunter NPCs and occasionally gang hideouts, and they usually give at least 1 gold bar for solving them. That and daily challenges is how I got my 15 for Trader and Bounty Hunter in only a few days.

e: oh, and in the area between Blackwater and McFarlane Ranch look out for random lanterns on the ground next to trees. You'll find a treasure map stuck to the tree with a knife if you find one of those. Not sure if it's anywhere else on the map but that's the only place I've seen them

Icedude fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 22, 2019

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Icedude posted:

e: oh, and in the area between Blackwater and McFarlane Ranch look out for random lanterns on the ground next to trees. You'll find a treasure map stuck to the tree with a knife if you find one of those. Not sure if it's anywhere else on the map but that's the only place I've seen them
I've found one of those in the hills in southern New Austin, one up in Ambarino and one somwhere around Emerald ranch, I think.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I kinda feel like you either like this game or you don't. They are definitely not hiding the fun content in the roles, I feel like the idea of getting money to get to the 'fun part' is just going to lead to constant disappointment. I can't figure out how to convey this idea without sounding like a huge dork, so I apologize for that

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Collector is only as grindy as you make it. You can use the interactive maps like you said or you can just passively find collectables as you fart around the map doing other things.

Personally I take the passive route, then when I see a collection only needs one or two more things then I'll look it up on the map.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
For me the best parts of this game are either using the cheat map online to ride around getting rich (because getting rich is ancillary to spending an evening riding around a beautiful gameworld), having wacky shenanigans with chill goons on discord, and doing actual missions with goons because sometimes it's fun to shoot npc non-animals.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

For me the best part of the game is bola-ing a player trying to put his perfect 3 star elk hide on his horse then tying them up with a reinforced lasso. Taking said skin and dropping it into deep enough water that it can't be targeted. Then you release your victim to tie him up again that way they can't give up.

Do this for 20 minutes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And they wonder why people want private lobbies

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Stupid singleplayer question: still haven't progressed in the story enough to unlock fishing :v:, but have found assorted melee weapons to pick up - but it looks like the game is allowing only three weapons and the lantern in that spot? (Even on the horse, not just afoot.) Is this functioning correctly, or at some point will everything I've found suddenly become available when I unlock Bag o' Knives?

Took down the Legendary Bighorn and Bison last night, ground out some looting/dino bones/rock carvings way the hell up in the snow zone, faffed about near the Legendary Buck zone and, once loaded down with a shitload of assorted pelts on-horse, got cougar'd about 100 yards from the Trapper. :argh: Did "find" the Auto-5 shotgun, and a whole shitload of O'Driscolls, though.

And for some reason Wednesday's Horseman progress wasn't registered, so I had to take someone for a drag again. Pay no attention to the man in the all-hairy-white-fur outfit towing a dead O'Driscoll down the railroad tracks, he's wearing a bandanna so his identity :iiam:.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

And they wonder why people want private lobbies

carebears can play something else

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That’s what a company trying to build a player base wants to hear

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ygolonac posted:

Stupid singleplayer question: still haven't progressed in the story enough to unlock fishing :v:, but have found assorted melee weapons to pick up - but it looks like the game is allowing only three weapons and the lantern in that spot? (Even on the horse, not just afoot.) Is this functioning correctly, or at some point will everything I've found suddenly become available when I unlock Bag o' Knives?

Hmm, searching online suggests they're available, and can be swapped using the ammo-select keys. Can't verify for four more hours, though, unless I go full Hosea and hack up a lung...

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

someone flicked a cigarette at me after i said howdy partner, then their head disappeared after my sawed-off shotgun accidentally went off

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

toggle posted:

someone flicked a cigarette at me after i said howdy partner, then their head disappeared after my sawed-off shotgun accidentally went off

Same but in multiplayer and the person was trying to casually RP walk to the gun store. Lol not on my watch

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Please let me play the online multiplayer game alone I'm being bullied by a man wearing only overalls and no shoes!!!!!

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
The best part of this game is jacking someone's 80 material wagon and getting away with it

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I think my dude looks like a tacky bandit everything is gaudy black and silver and I'm constantly red in HIGH HOSTILITY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

FileNotFound posted:

If you set up two factor authentication on your Rockstar Social Club profile you'll get 10 gold bars after a couple days.