Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite series
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
Samurai Showdown
King of Fighters
Other
View Results

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
My much younger goon buddy recently got super into Tekken 7, but wasn't much of a fighting game player previously, having dabbled in MK and Street Fighter (and Smash, but that's different). We were on a walk yesterday, and he was lamenting that he'd like to get into a different fighter, but he's not sure what. I'd been reading this thread, and it gave me an idea: We're going to do a day where I create a list of classic fighting games, he picks one for that day, and we drink, BBQ, and just play it all afternoon.

This is going to be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

TMNT Tournament Fighters is one of my favorites on the SNES. A surprisingly diverse cast, great control, super moves, a cool single player mode and an awesome soundtrack make this one of the best fighting games on the SNES IMHO. Balance was non-existent but that's to be expected on old fighting games. The NES version is also pretty decent, but avoid the Genesis version at all costs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVqKJWI9uc

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I am pretty sure this song is seared into my head for all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lencho posted:

TMNT Tournament Fighters is one of my favorites on the SNES. A surprisingly diverse cast, great control, super moves, a cool single player mode and an awesome soundtrack make this one of the best fighting games on the SNES IMHO. Balance was non-existent but that's to be expected on old fighting games. The NES version is also pretty decent, but avoid the Genesis version at all costs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVqKJWI9uc

SF2 wasn't balanced, but it wasn't terribly unbalanced, iirc. You could still win with Dhalsim and Zangief

edit: og SF2, obviously, before Dhalsim was top tier in the later iterations

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That song was a frequent inclusion on the CDs I would burn for driving to school music.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Only 90's kids will remember playing Lazer Tag (in a Stargate-themed arena, for some reason) while this was played at the highest volume imaginable over the PA system

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or smoking weed and playing UMK3 while listening to it when I was like sixteen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The cheatiest thing about SF2 is the AI gets things like faster moves than you and unmarked unblockables. Thats just quarter theft.

Get your friend to play powerstone 2 with you and 2 other friends.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am entirely too hype for the new Mortal Kombat movie. I loved the original movie to tiny bits, even as dumb as it is.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I am entirely too hype for the new Mortal Kombat movie. I loved the original movie to tiny bits, even as dumb as it is.

Same. Loved the first, hated Annihilation.

The first was just the perfect blend of cheesy one-liners and bad special effects. Great soundtrack, too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first MK movie is still the best video game movie

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juaunbIGCcw

loving quality.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Techno-Syndrome is not even the best song on Mortal Kombat: The Album!

...actually, it very much is, but I just wanted an excuse to post Mortal Kombat: The Album by The Immortals (a.k.a. two dudes from Lords of Acid)

Speaking of kickin' rad 90s music albums based on fighting games, Killer Cuts was bundled with the SNES version of Killer Instinct and contains remixes of the arcade game music. It was also the first CD I ever owned.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 8, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

The first MK movie is still the best video game movie

It's got some strong competition from Street Fighter II: The Animated movie. The Vega/Chun-Li fight is still pretty awesome, even if they felt the need to shower scene and panty shot (repeatedly) Chun-Li during it (I just kinda learned to deal with a degree of that in most anime that made it my way, mid to late 90s). Vega's my favorite SF character to play as, but watching him get dunked on is still fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuB8fB_Cr40

She throws a whole drat couch at him.

The live action movie for similar to the MK movie reasons, is also preeeeetty great. (also featuring an old rear end meme, because why not?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn51OEK-L3M

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
These neogeo fighters are on sale on switch rn. Which one should I get if I'm just looking to play single player every now and then? Idc about things like balance etc... I'm a completely casual player.

Garou mark of the wolves
Fatal fury
Fatal fury special
Kof 95
Kof 97
Kof 2000

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

saltyslug posted:

These neogeo fighters are on sale on switch rn. Which one should I get if I'm just looking to play single player every now and then? Idc about things like balance etc... I'm a completely casual player.

Garou mark of the wolves
Fatal fury
Fatal fury special
Kof 95
Kof 97
Kof 2000

Garou or 98 absolutely. FFS is fine, but those two are top of the list.

EDIT: Garou is more modern and pretty, but 98 is top of a lot of KOF lists (2002UM and 98UM typically kinda fighting for top pick, with a lot of fans of 94 as well), and it has a HUGE roster. If you can get both, do.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Thanks. I grabbed Garou Last night and had some fun with it. Kof98/02 are not on sale but I may grab them at some point

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

These two games are one of the few reasons I downloaded MAME back in the day, until they became available through the Mega Man Anniversary Collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbIjksXp6RI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxsoq3Fqu6U

They were considered fighters at the time, though they play very much like MM games instead of your usual fighter.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Been playing various Saturn and Dreamcast games on emulators recently, and had a lot of fun going back to Fighters Megamix and Fighting Vipers 1 and 2. The latter pair in particular have a goofy charm that appeals to me, even though I'm crap at actually playing them. (The breakable armour system is pretty nifty as well.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXumdz-0LXY

I'm sad I was the only one to vote Killer Instinct. Out of all the games on my MAME cabinet, it's the game I play the most. To this day I don't understand how the backgrounds work. They are 3-d renders converted to 2-d video, but somehow rotate as you move along the stage?? I also think the graphics are better than KI which is kind of weird when you think about it.

I am also another one ITT that loves Mortal Kombat Trilogy but I am pretty bummed there is no definitive version. The PC version runs like poo poo in Win 10 (plus it's lower resolution than the arcade), the PS1 version looks and sounds the best but has atrocious load times (even when running it from an SSD) and the N64 version has the most characters and zero loading but sounds like dog poo poo.

I'd do drat near anything for someone to mod the arcade version of UMK3 into MKT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Garou was such a good fighting game I did not remotely grasp a drat thing about and was gorgeous.

Also a character is named Butt

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I know it aged like dogshit, but I would probably have loved a fighting game based off WMAC Masters. Ho Sung Pak in MK doesn’t count

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXumdz-0LXY

I'm sad I was the only one to vote Killer Instinct. Out of all the games on my MAME cabinet, it's the game I play the most. To this day I don't understand how the backgrounds work. They are 3-d renders converted to 2-d video, but somehow rotate as you move along the stage?? I also think the graphics are better than KI which is kind of weird when you think about it.

I am also another one ITT that loves Mortal Kombat Trilogy but I am pretty bummed there is no definitive version. The PC version runs like poo poo in Win 10 (plus it's lower resolution than the arcade), the PS1 version looks and sounds the best but has atrocious load times (even when running it from an SSD) and the N64 version has the most characters and zero loading but sounds like dog poo poo.

I'd do drat near anything for someone to mod the arcade version of UMK3 into MKT.

Trilogy is broken as hell, not balanced at all, but I played the hell out of it with the fellas back in the day.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've always been poo poo at beat 'em ups and always will be I think. I've played many of them but I never get to that point where I can go "ah, I will now use my anti air combo against this character" or whatever, it's just mashing buttons and knowing a few combos here and there. I don't think I've ever finished the Street Fighter 2 campaign mode.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Randaconda posted:

Trilogy is broken as hell, not balanced at all, but I played the hell out of it with the fellas back in the day.

funnily enough, a guy who does competitive analysis of MK games just did a video on Trilogy a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It2w5vCsy3k

tl;dr: you're not quite right, it's a lot more balanced than you'd figure. the only things that throw it off are Rain, Noob Saibot, some jank with the retro characters on PS1 (and jank with Sub-Zero on N64), and a PS1-exclusive nasty bug relating to the Aggressor feature. past that, it's basically just UMK3 But Moreso, and UMK3 is a pretty decently balanced game.

e: specifically, the retro characters are just flat out loving wonky and are usually kind of gimped compared to everyone else, with the exception of Kung Lao who's fine either way; if you play the N64 version, though, Sub-Zero is a complete dick because he's MK2 Sub-Zero but with MK3 Sub-Zero's moves added, meaning he has like 20 billion different ways to freeze you, some of which can stunlock

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 22, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

funnily enough, a guy who does competitive analysis of MK games just did a video on Trilogy a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It2w5vCsy3k

tl;dr: you're not quite right, it's a lot more balanced than you'd figure. the only things that throw it off are Rain, Noob Saibot, some jank with the retro characters on PS1 (and jank with Sub-Zero on N64), and a PS1-exclusive nasty bug relating to the Aggressor feature. past that, it's basically just UMK3 But Moreso, and UMK3 is a pretty decently balanced game.

Yeah, I can see that. I was mainly thinking about Rain and Noob, who are broken as hell, as well as the bosses, who aren't balanced with the other characters at loving all.

UMK3 still has a small competitive community, last I heard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Virtua Fighter love where? :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who remembers this port?

The SNES struggled mightily with it, even with stripped down frames and sprite size. The only SNES game I ever played with loving load time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

The only SNES game I ever played with loving load time.

Batman Forever had this too lol

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Batman Forever had this too lol

Was that the one with the Mortal Kombat control scheme for some reason?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

Yes, it was absolutely terrible and I still have no idea why it had load times on an snes game

My guess is poo poo programming

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Randaconda posted:

Yep, it was developed by the studio that did the MK SNES ports so it appears they just repurposed the engine

No clue on the load times. Maybe all those digitized photo sprites take up a lot of memory?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Alpha 2 port was one of two games that embedded the S-DD1 chip into the cartridge, where it handled decompressing large (by SNES standards, anyway) amounts of graphics data (which had all been crushed down to fit on the cartridge).

I don't know why Batman Forever has load times. I don't think it has any custom chips, so it might be decompressing its graphics in software or something like that.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Randaconda posted:

Who remembers this port?

The SNES struggled mightily with it, even with stripped down frames and sprite size. The only SNES game I ever played with loving load time.

This game was very flawed, but I still loved it before I got my Playstation, because holy poo poo! Alpha 2 on the SNES!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mickey Mania had load times for some reason too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Mickey Mania had load times for some reason too.

That and the snes Sim City I believe are it for snes games with loading.

I'm guessing Mickey Mania was made for a different platform first and they just got lazy with the port.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That and the snes Sim City I believe are it for snes games with loading.

I'm guessing Mickey Mania was made for a different platform first and they just got lazy with the port.

I think Jon might have talked about it on his channel at some point but if I had to guess, TT were probably doing all sorts of stupid SMD tricks to load graphics quickly and that just didn't transfer easily to the SNES and they were probably pressed for time to port it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I bought this game in a little box set for the PS2 with Deception and Deadly Alliance, and it was by far the worst loving MK game I've ever played. No wonder they had to reboot the series. (and go back to 2D, thank god)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Deadly Alliance is one of the best Mortal Kombat games.