Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

What tag team had the biggest disparity in talent? And proper tag teams only don’t just say Okada and Yoshi Hashi

Andre the Giant and Haku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I wouldn't say Gibson and Morton were better than the other, each was just different and complimented each other really well. I think the thought in the 80s was that Gibson was more complete and could do better in singles. He clearly lacked something, as did Morton.

It's unfair but life isn't fair:

Misawa and Kobashi.

It's still probably falling short, but my go to was Omega and Ibushi.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I about poo poo myself laughing when Ricky bust out the Canadian Destroyer

that's from a place of love, though, I grew up watching them

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jesus WEP posted:

What tag team had the biggest disparity in talent? And proper tag teams only don’t just say Okada and Yoshi Hashi
Jerry Lawler and Plowboy Frazier (Uncle Elmer) did quite a few tag matches together.

Great Khali and Fit Finlay. Sometimes they did 3-mans with MVP, too.

The Ultimate Warrior and Sting, and the Road Warriors, and I think sometimes all three. Not that they were the greatest technicians, but they could fuckin' go and Warrior was the drizzling shits.

El Gigante and Sting. Again, not that Sting is the best worker, but Gonzalez was one of the all-time worst.

JYD and Ricky Steamboat.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Beyond Wrestling used to run in a bar with a giant brick wall on one side and I thought that, in addition to the very close and intimate feeling of everyone standing right next to the ring was pretty cool. The wall even came into play at least once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBca70LMSI

I dont know what random rear end indie it was and I cant find the vid but chuck taylor was in a match in this hall that had a huge painting of a lake and said "IM GONNA THROW HIM INTO THE LAKE" and threw his opponent into the painting on the wall

e vv thank u

shiksa fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 22, 2019

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

shiksa posted:

I dont know what random rear end indie it was and I cant find the vid but chuck taylor was in a match in this hall that had a huge painting of a lake and said "IM GONNA THROW HIM INTO THE LAKE" and threw his opponent into the painting on the wall

Chikara! It was him vs Archibald Peck in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDw0ivvq9Nk

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
It's not bound to one promotion, but Kyoto's KBS Hall is gorgeous. Wrestling in front of the giant stained glass gives everything a very dramatic feel.

One thing I've really enjoyed since getting into Japanese wrestling is how distinctive Korakuen is and how long its history is. It's fun to be able to get a feel for the space and watch people 20 years ago taking bumps on the same parquet floor they're getting slammed on today.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Holy poo poo that looks awesome.

I used to wrestle in a working men's club where the top rope was so close to the ceiling I couldn't perform my finisher.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

YMZ have their shows in what I think must be a renovated house because it's in the middle of a quiet renovated neighbourhood. The ceiling is so low they can't do high spots (but did a spot last week where a wrestler tried to jump of all four ring posts only to get frustrated about the low ceiling). They also did a ladder match where Isami Kodaka just walked up and snatched the towel hanging from the ceiling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
HBK and Diesel. Even then, Nash was basically useless in the ring, and even though I think Shawn's a bit overrated, he's still way better than Nash.

Mark Henry and D-Lo Brown: Henry became a capable worker eventually, but man he sucked during the Nation days. Whereas D-Lo was pretty good, which made the Droz incident shocking (I think there was liquid on the mat that made him lose his balance).

The Havana Pitbulls: Rocky has been pretty good for a long time. Ricky Reyes has done one thing that entertained me: Rick Noon goes to Chicago.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Do you ever use wrestling lingo in real life?

My friend used to have a cat named Popcorn and she was super sweet. But then for whatever reason the cats personality changed and she wasn't nice to guests anymore. I was gonna visit this friend and he said to me "by the way before you come over I gotta warn you, Popcorn turned heel."

(Popcorn attacked my head while I was sitting on the couch and she also pissed in my suitcase. But I still love her she's a good girl).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dell_Zincht posted:

Holy poo poo that looks awesome.

I used to wrestle in a working men's club where the top rope was so close to the ceiling I couldn't perform my finisher.

I used to see Chikara in a lovely firehall in Reading and even with the short rear end ring the wrestlers couldn’t do any top rope moves and people kept hitting the tile ceiling with their shoes. Claudio Costsgnoli came out and was literally raising the roof with both hands during his entrance

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

My friend used to have a cat named Popcorn and she was super sweet. But then for whatever reason the cats personality changed and she wasn't nice to guests anymore. I was gonna visit this friend and he said to me "by the way before you come over I gotta warn you, Popcorn turned heel."

(Popcorn attacked my head while I was sitting on the couch and she also pissed in my suitcase. But I still love her she's a good girl).

Cats' personality changes sometimes when they get fixed

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Which tag teams had equally good members?

It's like, I've heard Dynamite was way better than Davey, I know Bret was way better than Jim, Shawn was way better than Marty and right now I'm listening to Retro Nitros where Vinny said Robert Gibson and Scotty Riggs were the lesser halves of their tag teams.

Plenty of "neither of them was all that noteworthy" but on the "both were really good" end of things, I'll suggest Steve Austin & Brian Pillman.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hollywood Blondes owned

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd also dispute the Rockers thing because Marty was pretty close to Shawn's level at the in-ring stuff, even if not necessarily at the other parts, mostly just that his substance abuse issues got the better of him and he wasn't Vince's guy in the same way Shawn was.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hellblazer187 posted:

I will forever use the term shoot job to talk about my job

Thanks Ian

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The best part of this clip will always be Icarus hanging out randomly at ringside. Shirtless of course, to show off his terrible back tattoo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cats' personality changes sometimes when they get fixed

Or get old. Cats get dementia too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sometimes a cat will fake its own death and hire a lookalike actor cat to take its place. the cat will drop subtle hints that it's taken place so keep an eye (and ear) out

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Some of the biggest disparities in talent I can think of in a tag team are:

Shane McMahon, Batista and HHH
Shane McMahon and Drew McIntyre
Shane McMahon and The Miz
Shane McMahon and Vince McMahon

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PublicOpinion posted:

It's not bound to one promotion, but Kyoto's KBS Hall is gorgeous. Wrestling in front of the giant stained glass gives everything a very dramatic feel.

One thing I've really enjoyed since getting into Japanese wrestling is how distinctive Korakuen is and how long its history is. It's fun to be able to get a feel for the space and watch people 20 years ago taking bumps on the same parquet floor they're getting slammed on today.

KBS Hall is gorgeous!

Without A Cause wrestles at a place I've seen pictures of that has a cool look but I haven't been to any of the shows myself.

https://twitter.com/Producer_Rob/status/1188911681495130112

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Some of the biggest disparities in talent I can think of in a tag team are:

Shane McMahon, Batista and HHH
Shane McMahon and Drew McIntyre
Shane McMahon and The Miz
Shane McMahon and Vince McMahon

It's a bit unfair to compare middling talents like that to The Best In The World.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hellblazer187 posted:

Didn't either Meltzer or Bryan once refer to a play-action pass as a "worked handoff"?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shine posted:

Didn't either Meltzer or Bryan once refer to a play-action pass as a "worked handoff"?

Bryan did!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan did, yeah :)

It was the year Seattle made the Superbowl I think and it was all Vinny wanted to talk about and Bryan, bless his heart, tried his best to engage at least briefly.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bryan called a handjob to completion by an old person a “dusty finish”

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

does anyone have some good secret wrestling info that not a lot of people know about?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

does anyone have some good secret wrestling info that not a lot of people know about?

Gabe Sapolsky started chucking coasters at a wall after the sound guy played the wrong music at an FIP show.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nice. keep em coming

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

anarchy pro out of austin runs The Mohawk, a fairly small and outdoor concert venue. wrestlers used to be able to do dives and flips from the balcony but the owners don't let that happen anymore since they can't afford an ambulance on standby.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SG Bamboo posted:

The best part of this clip will always be Icarus hanging out randomly at ringside. Shirtless of course, to show off his terrible back tattoo.

I wasn't sure who it was until he turned around.

And did he steal Peck's shoe? Or was he making him smell his shoe? Either way, very on brand.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what rwestler do you think drinks a lot of pop? drinks a lot of soda

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just assume every Chikara regular is really into Jones Soda.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CM Punk's Pepsi tattoo suggests that he does, or did at one time. Something tells me Marko Stunt is a big soda drinker as well.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

oof that throw into the stacked chairs could have gone so badly

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

new jack threw a full can of sprite at the back of gabe sapolsky's head because he asked for a 7up and not a sprite

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if that guy drank a lot of pop he probly would have drank that sprite. ASSUMING sprite is a pop. i don't know. i'm talking about soda for you non northern/eastern kentuckians. moscow mitch

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Cavauro posted:

what's the opposite of daniel bryan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

maybe jake hager or corey graves. jake's real name is donald hager by the way. don't know why they didn't go with that