Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I'm done. There was a lot to really enjoy about the show but the people running it are clearly the problem and that's poisoned the well for me.

If Cornette is telling the truth Lagana comes off even worse than Cornette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Seams posted:

I don't know about that. I mean, he's bad but at least he recognized the basic need for an apology even if it was insincere.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

I’ll say this for Cornette: thanks to him I put the effort in to figure out how to stop specific YouTube channels from being recommended to me.

Please reveal what dark magic you used to do this.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
Wait, hang on a second. I have a question.

So by Cornette's account of things it sounds like Lagana had his back, right? I'm not inferring poo poo that isn't there? Lagana's all "oh this is all AEW marks out gunning for ya Jim" and poo poo, no sense that he wasn't at all behind Cornette at least 80%, yeah? So if he's unrepentant and his boss is basically standing behind him, why in the name of blue gently caress did he quit?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Jim Cornette Sez AEW Making The World Better

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mal-3 posted:

Wait, hang on a second. I have a question.

So by Cornette's account of things it sounds like Lagana had his back, right? I'm not inferring poo poo that isn't there? Lagana's all "oh this is all AEW marks out gunning for ya Jim" and poo poo, no sense that he wasn't at all behind Cornette at least 80%, yeah? So if he's unrepentant and his boss is basically standing behind him, why in the name of blue gently caress did he quit?

Because they did their fake apology and he was still told he had to cool it. Not out of compassion or anything, just greed. Cornette considers himself an artist so he quit instead of having to not be racist for money.

Edit: they also wanted him to put out a fake apology and he refused.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 23, 2019

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He’s a stubborn prick who refuses to apologise rather than continue doing what he would probably consider a dream job

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Seams posted:

He’s a stubborn prick who refuses to apologise rather than continue doing what he would probably consider a dream job

It really is hilarious. It’s probably one of the easier jobs in the world, and it’s something Cornette is clearly passionate about. So why jeopardize it.

And like I get it if your job is to talk sometimes you’re going to say the wrong thing it just happens, but is your hack racist joke really so important to your art that you can’t take it out of your bag of lines? It’s a dumb joke. It was always a hack joke even back in the 80’s get some new material. He honestly deserves everything he’s getting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Good god, what a fuckwit. His schedule was two days out of like every four months in his favorite wrestling company putting out the very product he says he wants.

How do you walk away from that because you're too stubborn to apologize for being racist?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

There is naught left in him but anger and stubbornness.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I knew a guy who was always moving. "I was in New Orleans for a while and it sucked. I was in Chicago for a while and it sucked. Now I'm in Seattle and it sucks."

I asked him if he'd figured out what all those places had in common when he was in them.

He shrugged.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
while it's rightly overshadowed by everything else, cornette continues the subtle (and not-so-subtle) bits of racism against the japanese women on AEW. going off on a huge spiel about how britt baker should be the champion because she's identifiable and so well spoken and the only people hikaru shida (and probably all the japanese women in his opinion) appeals to are anime fans. it's basically boils down to shes white and speaks english and he thinks a little girl in america can't possibly identify with a japanese woman. the way he talks it's clear the only thing that he wants from a babyface womens wrestler is a pretty white woman, actual work be damned.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 23, 2019

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know about that. I mean, he's bad but at least he recognized the basic need for an apology even if it was insincere.

Nah, Lagana edited that and saw nothing wrong with it until it got released, at which point he only got concerned because people were angry and then only acted to pacify that anger instead of because anything was actually wrong.

Having a better sense of damage control doesn't really make him better, it just makes it easier to avoid getting hammered for being lovely.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I'm done. There was a lot to really enjoy about the show but the people running it are clearly the problem and that's poisoned the well for me.

same way I feel. There were people like Eli Drake or Bram that I wouldn’t watch under any circumstances but trapped in the NWA sphere I enjoyed them. It felt right they were there.

Cornette could have apologized but instead we got more flimflam. Sorry, Aldis, take it up with cornette why no one cares about the NWA again.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

It really is hilarious. It’s probably one of the easier jobs in the world, and it’s something Cornette is clearly passionate about. So why jeopardize it.

And like I get it if your job is to talk sometimes you’re going to say the wrong thing it just happens, but is your hack racist joke really so important to your art that you can’t take it out of your bag of lines? It’s a dumb joke. It was always a hack joke even back in the 80’s get some new material. He honestly deserves everything he’s getting.

“What’s the problem?! I’m just saying Irish babies are born drunk and people who grind them up to make grain alcohol have to be strong! Because they’re fortified by the potatoes and money they stole from real Americans! That joke killed in 1862!”

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mods please filter Jim Cornette to Old Racist gently caress

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I did but Old Racist gently caress got autocorrected to Jim Cornette for some reason before I could hit the submit button :thunk:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

thefncrow posted:

Nah, Lagana edited that and saw nothing wrong with it until it got released, at which point he only got concerned because people were angry and then only acted to pacify that anger instead of because anything was actually wrong.

Having a better sense of damage control doesn't really make him better, it just makes it easier to avoid getting hammered for being lovely.

I'm definitely not saying Lagana is a good guy. But like Cornette's version is basically making the case that his/NWA's apology was insincere and he agrees with Cornette, but he's just apologizing to save face. Which from Cornette's perspective makes Jim the good guy because he's "real" and not offering any "fake" apologies that Lagana expected him to make to keep his job. But like from my perspective it just makes Cornette the even bigger rear end in a top hat because Lagana at least on some level understands that an apology is necessary even if he doesn't think its warranted. That still makes Lagana a bad guy but like one tick closer to "reasonable" than Cornette, IMO.

So like, they're in the same area when it comes to the actual racist comment, airing it, and thinking they're victims that anyone finds offense in it. But Cornette's extra bad because he's also an rear end in a top hat who can't swallow some pride to offer a fake apology. That's not worst than racism, its just an add on.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 23, 2019

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I did but Old Racist gently caress got autocorrected to Jim Cornette for some reason before I could hit the submit button :thunk:

Dang

We must all band together to defeat both racism and autocorrect

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I have to say, the most surprising thing about this to me is Lagana. Maybe I missed or just never paid attention to chatter about him but I always assumed he was a pretty level-headed guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I have to say, the most surprising thing about this to me is Lagana. Maybe I missed or just never paid attention to chatter about him but I always assumed he was a pretty level-headed guy.

Ring of Hell claimed he was sexually harassing wrestlers in WWE.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, he's a guy who has bounced around the corporate level of every major wrestling company for the last 20 years. I didn't have any expectations he was a good guy.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Court Bauer inferred that on the old MLW podcast a few times as well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think I ever got all the way through that book, I remember it being a Babinsack-tier mess. But point taken that he's been in so many rotten places that he's probably rotten too

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It rules watching old pieces of poo poo like Jim get shoved further and further into being irrelevant.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What promotion is going to pick up Jim next?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

fatherofmustard posted:

What promotion is going to pick up Jim next?

probably some outlaw indie mudshow bullshit

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mulaney Power Move posted:

probably some outlaw indie mudshow bullshit

Yeah I also think he’ll go back to ROH

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Jim Cornette is NOT gang affiliated!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What can Jim do now for a living? Can he survive on podcast money?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Jim Cornette is NOT gang affiliated!

maybe yang gang

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

What can Jim do now for a living? Can he survive on podcast money?

Well apart from the fact I assume he's already got a lot of money saved, doesn't he make good cash from sales of old merch he's picked up over his decades in wrestling?

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Jimmy's going to KSA and then to the pay windah. That is of course, if he can make it to the pay windah, after heeling it up with some textbook Cornette brand islamophobia.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cornette’s going to convert to Sunni Islam and cut a promo on the hidden imam.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Seams posted:

Based on the thing from a week ago where he was enthusiastically quote tweeting this racist poo poo from Discount Jordan Peterson (which he eventually deleted), Lagana is clearly the one closer to outright white supremacy, so I didn't even need Cornette's side to get there:

https://twitter.com/GadSaad/status/1195850040973176833

(And that's even before you get into the sexual harassment thing, which certainly feels like it informs that "Kayfabe Cocktail" bit.)

Jerusalem posted:

Well apart from the fact I assume he's already got a lot of money saved, doesn't he make good cash from sales of old merch he's picked up over his decades in wrestling?
Yes, even before the ad sales on the podcast really took off. YouTube helped, too, but it seems like his ability to contextualize, package stuff, and hype stuff, especially to people new to checking out historical stuff has made it a shockingly lucrative business for him. I say "shockingly" because, well, look at his inventory: There's not much there, he's stopped selling some of the most interesting stuff (Rookie Year and Midnight Express house show matches DVD sets) for some reason, the Wrestling Gold DVDs have been around forever for low prices (although less so the last few years), his in-stock books are also on Amazon, the burger towel, restraining order, and especially Cult of Cornette membership certificate are entirely gimmicks, etc.

Hell, a few years ago I tried to explain to him how it might be worth his while to look into getting the Mid-Atlantic films—arguably the gem of his inventory—re-transferred because they're 16mm and thus would massively benefit from an HD or better scan/Blu-Ray release. His tech-averseness meant that he didn't really get it, the most immediate hurdle being that he didn't understand how natural film grain etc. would even benefit compared to a 30 year old transfer to SVHS on an iffy setup. Looking at the success of everything else more recently, with what a cool and unique product that would be, he'd probably make a massive profit on pre-orders alone.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Wasn’t there a taped house show set he was selling for a while?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I believe there was a promotion that literally just threw all their old house show tapes out on the curb in boxes, and Cornette found out and rounded them up and took them home, then eventually transferred them to DVD (?) and sold them. From memory they included a bunch of guys who would go on to be big stars just as they were first getting started.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So two of the worst people in wrestling owe their livelihoods to saving old tapes that were going to be destroyed

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I believe there was a promotion that literally just threw all their old house show tapes out on the curb in boxes, and Cornette found out and rounded them up and took them home, then eventually transferred them to DVD (?) and sold them. From memory they included a bunch of guys who would go on to be big stars just as they were first getting started.
I'm not sure if coconono was talking about that or the Midnight Express house show matches set.

With the Mid-Atlantic house show matches set, Cornette had asked the JCP janitor to call him if there was ANYTHING wrestling related that TBS didn't take when they bought the company. There was: Some posters and a bunch of boxes of film reels, the latter of which had old chicken bones mixed in because they were in the promo room and the remnants of the catering/fried chicken would get thrown in those boxes for some reason. He had the transfers done in 1989, so the best quality format he could have them transferred to with the most versatility was SVHS. He started selling DVD sets—the first time it was available direct from his copies in any form—a few weeks ago.

The MX set consisted of previously unavailable matches from Philly that Cornette had a friend shoot on a camcorder and stuff that aired only on Japanese TV, usually as matches exclusive to World Pro Wrestling. (A show on TV Tokyo that aired stuff from North America, sometimes with exclusive matches. No, I don't know why it had the same name as NJPW's main TV show.) I don't know why he pulled it, though Crockett's crew shot the WPW stuff, so I could see there maybe being a WWE issue, even if the set was worth it just for the handhelds. I have no earthly idea why he stopped selling the rookie year set, as that was all stuff that has seemingly fallen into the public domain (Memphis with a little Chattanooga).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I'm definitely not saying Lagana is a good guy. But like Cornette's version is basically making the case that his/NWA's apology was insincere and he agrees with Cornette, but he's just apologizing to save face. Which from Cornette's perspective makes Jim the good guy because he's "real" and not offering any "fake" apologies that Lagana expected him to make to keep his job. But like from my perspective it just makes Cornette the even bigger rear end in a top hat because Lagana at least on some level understands that an apology is necessary even if he doesn't think its warranted. That still makes Lagana a bad guy but like one tick closer to "reasonable" than Cornette, IMO.

So like, they're in the same area when it comes to the actual racist comment, airing it, and thinking they're victims that anyone finds offense in it. But Cornette's extra bad because he's also an rear end in a top hat who can't swallow some pride to offer a fake apology. That's not worst than racism, its just an add on.

This could just be a difference in what we value, but to me, this isn't really describing anything that makes Lagana better. I think we're basically on the same page their racist attitudes themselves are probably similar. The difference between the two is just mask on or mask off. Lagana's able to backtrack and try to keep himself ingratiated but without actually having to demonstrate any sort of real desire to change. He just hollowly repeated some PR bullshit and is going to go back to expressing the same sorts of rationales in different manners.

I don't think Lagana's bad faith performative apology does anything to make it better than Cornette's refusal to apologize. They're both bad but just in different ways.