Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Blast Fantasto posted:

I literally can’t imagine a Todd Phillips helmed Darkseid movie so I hope it’s that

Remake The Hangover except it's Darkseid, Steppenwolf, and Desaad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jose Oquendo posted:

Remake The Hangover except it's Darkseid, Steppenwolf, and Desaad.

Make this a movie:
https://imgur.com/gallery/VsDAU

http://plasticfarm.com/new-comic-in-the-gallery-thanosdarkseid/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Max Landis's Bueno Excellente.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deadline is reporting the whole "Joker 2 and other origin stories" thing is just clickbait from The Hollywood Reporter.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The oscar screener for Endgame looks like a fake criterion cover.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ruddiger posted:

The oscar screener for Endgame

I know it would probably be nominated for special effects anyway but this phrase still makes me lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy A. Person posted:

The article makes it seem like the opposite of that: Phillips himself approached them right after the big opening weekend to secure multiple rights which they were hesitant to do, but gave him "at least" one (which makes sense depending on what character(s), since he was able to make a billion off a relatively super small budget).

It's also unclear whether the request was for multiple villain origin stories; the opening paragraph just mentions origin stories in general but later in the article they speculate on possible villains.

Honestly this doesn't worry me yet. If in the next few months they announce Phillps helmed gritty standalone films "Luthor", "Riddler", and "Cheetah" I'll laugh my rear end off, but "give the guy who made us a shitload of money a sequel and another character or two" is about the most no-brainer next step they can do. I would be curious to hear an argument why any other studio wouldn't do the exact same thing.

What if they meant multiple srand alone Joker origin story movies

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

What if they meant multiple srand alone Joker origin story movies

That would actually be a great twist:

“In addition to the Joker, I’d also like to do movies of the Joker and...the Joker :smug:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

That would actually be a great twist:

“In addition to the Joker, I’d also like to do movies of the Joker and...the Joker :smug:

The second one will be about Joker from Full Metal Jacket and the next will be about Joker from Persona. Then they team up.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

There must be an example of an artist doing a series of works that are only related in an intentional, superficial, and obvious manner.

It seems so obvious that it must exist.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 21, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

There must be an example in artist doing a series of works that are only related in an intentional, superficial, and obvious manner.

Michael Fassbender starred in Prometheus, Shame, and A Dangerous Method. These are all movies involving the penis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

The second one will be about Joker from Full Metal Jacket and the next will be about Joker from Persona. Then they team up.

Enter the Jokerverse

You'll never see it coming

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There must be an example of an artist doing a series of works that are only related in an intentional, superficial, and obvious manner.

Final Fantasy?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
The Cornetto Trilogy, sort of?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think the closest thing is probably when a storyteller creates a character or mcguffin that is purely the vehicle to a series of somewhat abstract, or at the very least, independent vignettes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

John Carpenter's "Apocalypse" Trilogy: The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In The Mouth of Madness.

Also "The Man with No Name" Trilogy. Joe, Manco, and Blondie are different people. As is Col. Mortimer and Angel Eyes.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 21, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Shane Black

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ruddiger posted:

The oscar screener for Endgame looks like a fake criterion cover.

Have a link? Google isn't helping me.

I mean, I'm not speaking to their quality, but Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse certainly fits. Jay and Silent Bob are in all of them, but usually just as side characters, once just as a one scene cameo, but there are plenty of connections beyond even them. They're all the same universe, but not in a way that (usually) matters in any meaningful way.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 21, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

The Cornetto Trilogy by Edgar Wright

Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The End of the World

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Talks of a Joker sequel may have been premature.

Don’t Dress For ‘Joker’ Sequel Yet; Insiders Say Todd Phillips Never Pitched Origin Film Series On Other DC Characters

quote:

Those sources add that the linchpin of today’s THR story — that a week after Joker‘s opening, Phillips met with Warner Bros film chief Toby Emmerich to pitch a portfolio of DC character origin stories — is as flat false as earlier stories that Martin Scorsese contemplated directing the first Joker (Scorsese was originally going to be a producer but dropped out because of his crowded schedule). Multiple sources said no such October 7 meeting between Phillips and Emmerich occurred, and that Phillips doesn’t want to follow Joker by overseeing other DC character films. What he has talked about in interviews is that when Joker was in its inception, there were discussions of a DC Black initiative. He instead focused on Joker. That was a long time ago.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/joshuatrank/status/1198055599222726657?s=19

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

This is really nice, honestly. I’ve never seen F4 2015 and know nothing about Trank really but it’s cool to just see someone be like “yeah I probably hosed this up”

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 23, 2019

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I believe in the Trank cut.

Because honestly, it is two movies put together, and one of them was interesting.
The weirdest thing about the obvious reshoots is rather than aping the MCU, it's more like they were going for the 2004 FF.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

wyoming posted:

I believe in the Trank cut.

Because honestly, it is two movies put together, and one of them was interesting.
The weirdest thing about the obvious reshoots is rather than aping the MCU, it's more like they were going for the 2004 FF.

Yeah, this is why I can't fully say that FF42K15 was bad. Because on the one hand, it is without a doubt pretty bad on the whole. But there are enough glimpses of a much more interesting movie within it that it's worth watching at least once to see those bits.

I still hold that Trank's career being destroyed over that movie while Simon Kinberg survived to keep failing upwards is an amazing maneuver on Kinberg's part.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Trank has an Al Capone movie with Tom Hardy in post production so maybe he’s not quite calling it a career yet.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Besides being bad, it was really odd to see how much body horror was in that Fantastic Four movie, it was completely missing the point of the property.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The point of the fantastic four is that there's nothing horrific about being turned into an orange rock monster?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

For real, the Thing hating how repulsive he is was a major storyline throughout Lee and Kirby's original run and through the franchise as a whole. Mark Waid did a pretty good comic where Reed Richards told baby Franklin the FF origin story from his point of view, where everyone was scared after their rocket accident and how they were mutating, and how Richards invented superhero personas for them in order to avoid stigma. It was a pretty good way of analyzing the original story through a lens of psychological realism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a reason the Venture Bros version of the F4 is basically their original powerset minus the required secondary powers to make it remotely useful. (Taking 'invisible skin' horribly literally and such) And the whole 50s patriarch idea being a horrible combination with that.

Actually, the Batman Beyond take on them isn't too different, though having all their powers be both legitimately useful and involve horrific physical mutation. (And playing up the idea of only having 3 out of 4 transformed and the repercussions)

One of the strengths of classic superheroes is that they've been around for so long that there's lots of different angles you can take with legitimate roots in the source material, and a director can and should be able to pick and choose what elements they'd like to play with. Especially since a seemingly minor change in tone can produce new and interesting results providing a breath of fresh air to even a stale franchise.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Whatever MCU is gonna do with the FF I hope they just have them established somehow without making an origin story.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oasx posted:

Besides being bad, it was really odd to see how much body horror was in that Fantastic Four movie, it was completely missing the point of the property.

Trank exploring the body horror aspect of the FF4 heroes was the main draw for me. I wanted more of that. I wanted the whole movie to be about body horror since I get my fill of superhero cookie cutter poo poo from the MCU.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Oasx posted:

A movie should do whatever is interesting when adapting material and not be beholden to some strict rubric that keeps it perfectly in line with what it's adapting. I think exploring the horror of their bodies being radically altered is an interesting place to take things and as mentioned is even covered pretty extensively in the comics with The Thing.

It's just a shame the back half of the movie falls apart so quickly and doesn't follow through on the more promising first act.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

teagone posted:

Trank exploring the body horror aspect of the FF4 heroes was the main draw for me. I wanted more of that. I wanted the whole movie to be about body horror since I get my fill of superhero cookie cutter poo poo from the MCU.

I think themes of body horror could definetely be an interesting part of a superhero story, my problem is that that theme is completely unsuitable for the Fantastic Four. I would say that they are pretty much the most family friendly Marvel property, and turning FF into a horror movie is completely missing the point of making a FF movie.
If you want to explore those themes then something like X-Men would be much more appropriate, even the now dead New Mutants movie seemed to go for something similar and that would have worked fine.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
How bout a version of the FF4 where Ben becomes John Carpenter's The Thing?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SimonCat posted:

How bout a version of the FF4 where Ben becomes John Carpenter's The Thing?

Thing vs. The Thing sounds like it should have been one of those 90s intercompany crossovers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't give a poo poo about 1950s era happy housewife perfect family fantastic four, give me body horror poo poo since I'm more familiar with the venture Bros version than whatever ff was known for a century ago that doesn't resonate

Alternatively give me a good movie about Doom, one of the only compelling villains in marvel not named magneto

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Oasx posted:

I think themes of body horror could definetely be an interesting part of a superhero story, my problem is that that theme is completely unsuitable for the Fantastic Four.

Except it's obviously not unsuitable for the Fantastic Four because that part of the movie worked really well.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oasx posted:

I think themes of body horror could definetely be an interesting part of a superhero story, my problem is that that theme is completely unsuitable for the Fantastic Four. I would say that they are pretty much the most family friendly Marvel property

This is some rich poo poo when Marvel has regularly has Reed Richards as a part of an Illuminati group wiping people’s memories and launching the Hulk into space against his will and stuff

Edit: here, here’s how Marvel Studios will “do right by the property”; they’ll make a big PR push about how this is Marvel’s first real family movie and then it will be exactly the same as the preceding 30 movies but with like one scene of a group hug

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tim Burton directs and his whole MO becomes "we're gonna. Like, blow the LID off of the idea that the 50s was normalcy, man. Get real deep into the HORROR of the atomic family."