Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

Jango calls him Darth Tyranus when he's talking with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan brings it up to Yoda who confirms it is a Sith title. "With the forename Darth, a Sith he must be."

I must have blocked it out, on account of how dumb that sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Obi-wan didn't actually know Dooku was Tyranus though, he didn't learn that until late in the Clone Wars show

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yoda is high as gently caress in that scene though

hes high as gently caress in every scene though

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

I must have blocked it out, on account of how dumb that sounds

So did Lucas, because the line's not actually in the movie (but was in the script).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is the girl from the Starlight Brigade video a so much better character than Rey?

Primarily directed at SuperMechaGodzilla.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 23, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Darth TearMyAnus

Also god drat are all the jedi really loving dumb

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

hes high as gently caress in every scene though

He must've been high even when conceiving, and later giving birth to, The Child.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Horizon Burning posted:

Jango calls him Darth Tyranus when he's talking with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan brings it up to Yoda who confirms it is a Sith title. "With the forename Darth, a Sith he must be."
Despite what some published versions of the script say, in the movie Jango only ever referrrrd to Dooku as "Tyranus" and never with the "Darth" title.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

darth tyrannosaurus would've been way cooler

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is Dooku ever actually called Darth Tyranus in the movies?

He is - but he’s a clear contrast to Maul and Vader, who go exclusively by their Sith names.

Vader considers Anakin an entirely different (dead) person, while Dooku goes by Dooku in most interactions & treats ‘Tyrannus’ as a silly code-name.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
How does shooting lightning out of your hands factor into this? Or is that something you get to do when you're evil regardless of your political and religious affiliations

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

ungulateman posted:

How does shooting lightning out of your hands factor into this? Or is that something you get to do when you're evil regardless of your political and religious affiliations

Sith don't have a monopoly on hate and anger and the electrical-conducting abilities thereof.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There's no such thing as Sith, Palpatine just made them up to play on the Jedi's superstitions. That's why he dropped the whole Sith name and persona as soon as he won. He never told Anakin because he thinks it's hilarious to watch the idiot have to go along with the Sith nonsense.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

ungulateman posted:

Is finger lightning a dark side thing or a Palpatine thing?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Skrill.exe posted:

Is finger lightning a dark side thing or a Palpatine thing?

Dooku did it

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dooku and Snoke both used finger lightning. Yoda used cloud lightning to blow up a tree, which is kind of a dick move but not necessarily evil.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cloud lightning is a Cleric spell so it's cool

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In the EU and NuCanon Force Lightning is always described as being powered by the Dark Side and the all the negative emotions that fuel it. In the EU non-Sith could use it but only the Coke-Zero version because only the Sith were bad enough mofo's to unleash its true power. In RotJ it just seems to be something Sheev does because he's an evil wizard and killing people with lightning bolts is what evil wizards do. I suspect he could also have thrown a fireball or shot a petrification ray out of his eyes. The Prequels seem to go with Lightning being some kind of Dark Side power since Dooku whipping it out happens alongside Yoda sensing the Dark Side in him and him making proclamations about surpassing Jedi power.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I will say its a genuine pity that force lightning got so diluted in star wars, it really softens how loving wild it is to see the emperor break that poo poo out in Return of the Jedi for the first time

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah imagine seeing ROTJ with no clue what’s going to happen, in theatres, and a fucken wizard shows up and starts shooting lightning.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Rewatching TLJ and the script is so bad. It takes over 40 mins for Rose to be introduced and the chase/tracking situation to be set up. By this point we still have no idea what Luke’s problem is, what Snoke wants, but we get the Maz union dispute scene, lol. There are so many scenes that are just full of redundant exposition.

Look at the Luke and Rey scenes. It’s just endless variations of the same conversation. Any new ideas that the film seems to be playing with are negated by the end or undermined with cheap irony (“it’s not just about lifting rocks”, etc).

It’s almost like the filmmakers are so unconfident and their ideas so thin that they are just trying to fill time with images that are just empty enough to be diverting without having to commit to meaning something.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

nemesis_hub posted:

Rewatching TLJ and the script is so bad. It takes over 40 mins for Rose to be introduced and the chase/tracking situation to be set up. By this point we still have no idea what Luke’s problem is, what Snoke wants, but we get the Maz union dispute scene, lol. There are so many scenes that are just full of redundant exposition.

Look at the Luke and Rey scenes. It’s just endless variations of the same conversation. Any new ideas that the film seems to be playing with are negated by the end or undermined with cheap irony (“it’s not just about lifting rocks”, etc).

It’s almost like the filmmakers are so unconfident and their ideas so thin that they are just trying to fill time with images that are just empty enough to be diverting without having to commit to meaning something.

have you considered the themes, though?

y'know, the theme of... not questioning authority ever? or freeing the animals but not the children? or that it's about not fighting what we hate but saving what we love?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

well why not posted:

Yeah imagine seeing ROTJ with no clue what’s going to happen, in theatres, and a fucken wizard shows up and starts shooting lightning.

For real, by this point you're five+ hours into this saga, and characters have mentioned that the Emperor is a bad dude with some incredible powers, but also the most you've seen the force do up to this point is see and sense things from far away and also lift heavy stuff. So you get to the very climax of the entire trilogy and this guy has been sinister, yeah, but he hasn't done anything yet you've not seen elsewhere. How is he gonna show off? Psychic attack? A really powerful force choke? Telekinetic lightsabers? Nah bro, he just up and starts blasting loving lightning from his hands like he's a goddamn DnD wizard. It's completely divorced from anything you could expect.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ungulateman posted:

Sith only power up until Rey does it in which case it was never sith only

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Angry Salami posted:

There's no such thing as Sith, Palpatine just made them up to play on the Jedi's superstitions. That's why he dropped the whole Sith name and persona as soon as he won. He never told Anakin because he thinks it's hilarious to watch the idiot have to go along with the Sith nonsense.

Sith was a euphemism for force user. The great sith wars where between forces that used the force not some evil empire. The jedi were once force wielding pacifist monks that considered using the force for violence and personal gain to be evil thus the sith. Then they corrupted their dogma to justify becoming agents for a liberal state and kill any one (mostly children) that wield the force yet doesn’t adhere to their rigid dogma.

I just wrote TOR trilogy synopsis.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ungulateman posted:

Or is that something you get to do when you're evil regardless of your political and religious affiliations

I think people assume that the Jedis aren’t allowed to shoot lightning, but I’d argue it’s more that the all simply can’t. They’re not powerful enough.

Again, note the parallels between Dooku and Yoda/Windu. Both Yoda and Windu fry Palpatine with lightning when they try to assassinate him (as Dooku hoped they would) - but neither of them has Dooku’s clarity of purpose, so they can only do those halfassed reflection attacks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Horizon Burning posted:

have you considered the themes, though?

y'know, the theme of... not questioning authority ever? or freeing the animals but not the children? or that it's about not fighting what we hate but saving what we love?

Dont forget the theme of letting the past die... except not really

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Also Yoda burning the sacred texts except psyke Ray already took them.

What a loving disaster of a movie

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s an issue of literacy. The film is so bizarre as a result of all the edits and reshoots that, when asked what the theme is, fans just start quoting random characters. I don’t know what’s going on, but surely Kylo does. It’s about ‘letting the past die and killing it if you have to’, right?

No, the moral - the preferred reading - is to not let the past die.

Luke was already letting the past die by keeping the books a secret from the rest of the universe: “I came here to die.” The burning of the dead tree represents the dead past coming back to life, to influence the present.

Poe learns to trust Leia instead of doing his own thing. FN learns to be a Rebel instead of doing his own thing. Ren tries to do his own thing, so he goes crazy-stupid and poops himself & everyone laughs at him.

In the end, they have “everything they need”:

-Millenium Falcon
-Lightsaber
-Chewbacca
-C3PO
-R2-D2
-Rebels
-Jedi
-Luke Skywalker
-Princess Leia

That’s the moral. It’s a big, sloppy tribute to the Star Wars franchise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Dont forget the theme of letting the past die... except not really
This isn't the theme of the movie.

This is best demonstrated through Yoda's quote...

YODA: Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery, hmm… but weakness, folly, failure also. Yes: failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters.

Also, by the guy who keeps talking about destroying the past being full of poo poo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:laffo:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qphC39PJf4

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Knights of Ren on Passana further confirms the reddit leaks.

Also in the other TV spot it confirms the leak of the Falcon and Rey escaping Kylo on the Star Destroyer scene

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the end, they have “everything they need”:

-Millenium Falcon
-Lightsaber
-Chewbacca
-C3PO
-R2-D2
-Rebels
-Jedi
-Luke Skywalker
-Princess Leia

- Nien Nunb

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The past isn't dead. It isn't even past.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Colin Trevorrow has said that the Emperor returning was not part of his plan for Episode 9.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

porfiria posted:

The past isn't dead. It isn't even past.

How can it be dead if it was never alive to begin with?

:thunk:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

weekly font posted:

Does the universe where we get Colin Treverrow's Episode 9 see a better or worse movie?

Horizon Burning posted:

Colin Trevorrow has said that the Emperor returning was not part of his plan for Episode 9.

Thanks for the answer Colin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

"what about a huge death star"
"jj... you did that in the force awakens"
*massive anime sweat drop rolls down jj's forehead*
"what about... ten thousand star destroyers then"