Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cavauro posted:

maybe jake hager or corey graves. jake's real name is donald hager by the way. don't know why they didn't go with that

They should call him "Donald Jr." that would be funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

new jack threw a full can of sprite at the back of gabe sapolsky's head because he asked for a 7up and not a sprite

What a psychopath.

Who the Hell prefers 7up over Sprite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

what's the opposite of daniel bryan?

BIG cASS (EAT BALLS)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do you ever use wrestling lingo in real life?

My friend used to have a cat named Popcorn and she was super sweet. But then for whatever reason the cats personality changed and she wasn't nice to guests anymore. I was gonna visit this friend and he said to me "by the way before you come over I gotta warn you, Popcorn turned heel."

(Popcorn attacked my head while I was sitting on the couch and she also pissed in my suitcase. But I still love her she's a good girl).

I find myself using Selling/No Selling in everyday life.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

what's the opposite of daniel bryan?

P. N. News

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm watching Okada vs. Omega and in the third part of the match, Omega seems to use Ibushi's move (some sort of pile driver/scary head thing), and the announcers freak out over it. They then talk about some poo poo that happened 10 years ago, something about a move done in a Japanese ring and Kota being Japanese himself (I'm not very good at the language so I might be wrong), and Omega uses (I think?) another one of Ibushi's moves.

What were they talking about re: 10 years ago (relative to 2018)? And is it really that big a deal that a wrestler uses a different wrestler's move?

EDIT: Rewatched, and I think I misheard an important verb (盗まれている vs 結ばれている), so I guess it's just them being all :swoon: over their relationship. The 10 years thing I'm still curious about.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 23, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Omega and Ibushi's relationship in wrestling goes back 10 years to 2008 when Omega did his first Japanese tour, partly because he saw tapes of Ibushi and wanted to wrestle him. They almost instantly clicked and worked as a tag team for about 5 years before Ibushi got pegged for a big singles push in NJPW and Kenny just kind of floated around the undercard.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
A few months after they broke up, Kenny, not finding much success, joined Bullet Club as a Jr. Heavyweight ace. He also costed Ibushi the IWGP title in 2015, when during a match with champion and Bullet Club leader AJ Styles, Kenny jumped up on the apron, distracting Ibushi (though unable to bring himself to actually interfere) just enough for AJ to capitalize and get the win. I don't think they interacted much, if at all, between then and the end of the 2017 G1 Climax, but Kenny using one of Ibushi's moves in that match was an example of the sort of long form storytelling you see more of in basically every promotion besides WWE.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Side note: Styles capitalising by CATCHING Ibushi's Phoenix Splash attempt and turning it into the Styles Clash is still one of the most insane spots I've seen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I find myself using Selling/No Selling in everyday life.

I first learned that one in middle school when a teacher was talking about stunt work in movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I'm watching Okada vs. Omega and in the third part of the match, Omega seems to use Ibushi's move (some sort of pile driver/scary head thing), and the announcers freak out over it. They then talk about some poo poo that happened 10 years ago, something about a move done in a Japanese ring and Kota being Japanese himself (I'm not very good at the language so I might be wrong), and Omega uses (I think?) another one of Ibushi's moves.

What were they talking about re: 10 years ago (relative to 2018)? And is it really that big a deal that a wrestler uses a different wrestler's move?

EDIT: Rewatched, and I think I misheard an important verb (盗まれている vs 結ばれている), so I guess it's just them being all :swoon: over their relationship. The 10 years thing I'm still curious about.

To elaborate on the second part of your question, actually. It depends on the wrestler that's being emulated. Some people use certain moves as tribute to popular wrestlers that they looked up to (a lot of Latinx wrestlers do a rolling series of vertical suplexes which was a signature spot of Eddie Guerrero who was very influential), some moves become just common bread-and-butter things (the DDT was original a devastating finishing move that was never kicked out of, but is now a bog-standard move) but sometimes it's a sign of a very specific part of storytelling. Omega's adopted a couple of Ibushi's moves (the foldy-piledriver thing you noticed, the Phoenix Splash which he used at Full Gear) and Ibushi's also started to do a couple of things reminiscent of Shinsuke Nakamura.

By the way, assuming you're watching on New Japan World, please check out some of Nakamura.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
nakamura is so cool he got the coolest WWE theme in decades and it's still less cool than his NJPW theme

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nah his njpw theme was way too racist

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Pollyanna posted:

Kenny and Kota have one of the best long form storylines going in wrestling. The story is that they're shoot in love and are horny as hell for loving each other because they're both impossibly hot dudes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Kenny and Kota have one of the best long form storylines going in wrestling. The story is that they're shoot in love and are horny as hell for loving each other because they're both impossibly hot dudes.

relatable

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Side note: Styles capitalising by CATCHING Ibushi's Phoenix Splash attempt and turning it into the Styles Clash is still one of the most insane spots I've seen.

AJ Styles in New Japan is legit one of the best wrestlers ever. He still did some really amazing stuff in WWE but holy gently caress his run as leader of the Bullet Club and the way they turned The Styles Clash into such a death move that OTHER WRESTLERS SIMPLY TEASING IT still gets Japanese fans freaking out is astounding.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do independent wrestling promotions also scope out storylines and plan matches and stuff? I feel like that would be harder when you are dependent on random indie wrestlers who may or may not be available. Are those matches real?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yeah, sure. They have to scrap them more often than bigger promotions, but usually if an indie promotion is trying to build around someone for a while they get them signed up for all the dates they need them for. AIW's podcast talks about this a lot, indies still plan pretty far ahead. What do you mean by "are those matches real?"

It's harder now that WWE and AEW are trying to sign up everyone with a name than it was a couple years ago, though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

nakamura is so cool he got the coolest WWE theme in decades and it's still less cool than his NJPW theme

it's true, we stan a king for a reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aTg6weUBqc&t=35s

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Do independent wrestling promotions also scope out storylines and plan matches and stuff? I feel like that would be harder when you are dependent on random indie wrestlers who may or may not be available. Are those matches real?

yup. as mentioned, guys and gals getting poached hurt companies, but before the UK scene was monopolized by WWE, PROGRESS had some really great storytelling. They had a years long angle with Jimmy Havoc, the formation of British Strong Style was great there, and the Jinny/Laura Di Matteo storyline. Once WWE started to dip their fingers in, PROGRESS dropped quite a bit in quality to where I just gave up on it, but they did their best for a good while.

CHIKARA is probably the best example of this if I had to guess. I haven't kept up with them in a long time, but they did a whole time travel storyline that I remember sticking out pretty well, someone more well versed in CHIKARA can probably explain it better than me.

PWG used to do stories back in the day and fairly recently too, but once everyone started getting poached, they just dove deeper into the "We book independent dream matches and that's it" territory.

You'll also find smaller independents that don't register on many radars will do a lot of story stuff in their main events usually, maybe relying on one bigger independent name or two to carry it. like the company near me, their main story is their head trainer/#1 babyface beating decently sized indie names every month on his path to winning the big belt.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nakamura’s WWE theme is better you’re just nostalgic

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I absolutely love Nakamura's WWE themes (I love the heel version even more) but his NJPW theme is fantastic too. They're good themes, Brent.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Here's a great documentary on a multi-year story line and feud in a independent promotion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgzRUaPiv0

Also check out Over The Top Wrestling's Starr vs. Devlin series.

In terms of realness, wrestling is pre-determined but there's a varying degree of pre-planning. The latest Kenny Omega interview with the Observer includes a moment where he says that in AEW the Young Bucks sometimes do a match "PWG Style" where they go in with the absolute barest of planning, just trusting in their knowledge of their characters and abilities to carry a match and spot opportunities. Zack Saber Jnr. is famous for calling the match "in ring" i.e. improvising. (As a side note: this seems to be the case for many technical/mat wrestlers, Josh Barnett is a big supporter of that improvisory style of wrestling and his Bloodsport events are designed to showcase it). On the other hand, I've heard that Luchadores are exacting pre-planners.

WWE typically have exacting rehearsals as shown in this Vice news article about leaked rehearsal footage:
https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/43k9m9/wwe-hid-a-pre-show-rehearsal-to-youtube-a-glitch-exposed-it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Even in WWE there are people who will have matches with zero planning. For instance the fantastic Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura NXT match was, as far as we know, called entirely on the fly.

Then there are people like Randy Savage who would insist on rehearsing his matches to absolute perfection, and if you saw his match at a house show and later on PPV, it would literally be the exact same match.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

As someone who heard his WWE theme first, it's really not. Subconscious is a loving banger.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fez_machine posted:

Here's a great documentary on a multi-year story line and feud in a independent promotion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgzRUaPiv0

I love this guy’s videos. Is there anything along the same lines others would recommend?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

It's true. I loving loved his NJPW theme, but I went so long without hearing it that when I finally did again I was surprised at how much bigger and more epic his WWE theme seemed in comparison.

Both themes are great, though.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Once again, imagine the hell world where Nakamura gets Glorious and Bobby Roode got Nakamura's theme.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Deathlove posted:

Once again, imagine the hell world where Nakamura gets Glorious and Bobby Roode got Nakamura's theme.

Nakamura would have still gotten it over and Roode would have signed with TNA again after surfing catering for a few years.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Huntman posted:

CHIKARA is probably the best example of this if I had to guess. I haven't kept up with them in a long time, but they did a whole time travel storyline that I remember sticking out pretty well, someone more well versed in CHIKARA can probably explain it better than me.

Yeah, that one worked out mainly because it focused on one guy.

A good example of a lengthy story written ahead of time affected in parts by the chaos of indie wrestling is the whole BDK storyline. The whole thing was essentially a three-year angle. 2009 was about Chikara having a bunch of minor angles where nothing seemed to stand out as the focus, only for everything to culminate in a year-ending segment where Claudio Castognoli was revealed to be a heel and had a full-on nWo stable at his beck and call. It was immediately understood why all those guys were working for him against Chikara due to their own arcs. 2010 was about the BDK dominating the company in pretty much every possible way, only for Chikara to gradually fight back and get some major wins towards the end that took away the BDK's mystique and power. In 2011, they were a top heel faction, but no longer what they used to be. A round robin tournament was held to crown the first ever Grand Champion and it led to the BDK imploding, all while top face Eddie Kingston won the tournament during the season finale.

There's a lot of people involved in that and while things ultimately worked out, there were still some issues and hiccups that needed to be worked around.

1) In 2009, there was a mysterious masked man named Vokoder showing up to stalk and threaten UltraMantis Black. The original plan was that he was Sami Callihan, which made plenty of sense. Even some close-up photos from fans made it apparent that Callihan was under the mask. Then some kind of falling out happened and he stopped showing up. Afterwards, Vokoder was changed to being Tim Donst (again, you could sort of tell it was him if you saw a close-up pic). Still made plenty of sense when he unmasked, but Callihan probably would have made for a better twist.

2) King of Trios 2010 was supposed to have the BDK's A-team defeat Team Mexico in the opening round. Team member Skayde was basically Quack's RL mentor and was in charge of getting the teammates together. He not only failed to secure them (they took other bookings that weekend), but he kept demanding more money over the phone. Quack ended up cutting ties with him for good and they instead had the BDK face a team "randomly selected" by a corrupt authority figure where Amasis and Ophidian were forced to team up with BDK member Sara Del Rey, who kept trying to throw the match. It ended up getting the BDK over a bit more as heels and gave us a few good hope spots.

3) In 2010, they were building towards a mask vs. mask match between Equinox and BDK's Lince Dorado. Not only did Lince start no-showing events, but Quack got pissed at him for showing up on a Scott Hall YouTube documentary with no mask while identifying himself. Not sure which of those events happened first. Either way, Lince was gone and his existence/feud was swept under the rug.

4) Eddie Kingston and Claudio Castagnoli never got to have their blowoff match. The original idea seemed to be to have them be the finals for the Grand Championship tournament, but instead it became apparent that Claudio was signing with WWE. Instead, he jobbed out a bunch in the brackets and his final in-ring appearance was losing to Sara Del Rey, putting the focus on her. They instead did Quack vs. Eddie as the finals and at least had Claudio do a talking heads segment about why it was such a big deal.

There was also the tragic blow of Larry Sweeney's suicide in early 2011, but that shockingly had no effect on anything story-related, unless they intended on having him feud with Pinkie Sanchez.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

When did wrestling fans start repeating "one fall"?

Seems like I stepped away from watching indie wrestling around the time ROH went on HDNet and then came back 5 or 6 years later and you heard it a lot and it seemed a really odd thing to chant along with.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ONE FALL! is so bad

it's not as bad as when the wrestlers do a grappling exchange and someone yells WRESTLING! when it's finished

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Why do they still bother announcing that it's one fall? Like, that's the default, you don't need to tell us.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

rujasu posted:

Why do they still bother announcing that it's one fall? Like, that's the default, you don't need to tell us.

Because there are match types that involve multiple falls or no falls.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fatherofmustard posted:

Ah, the famed Can’t Be Stopped For Any Reason match.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kennel posted:

Ah, the famed Can’t Be Stopped For Any Reason match.

Look, sometimes you just have to get a pinfall, send your opponent to a penalty box, and then climb a ladder to hang the belt above the ring if you want to win. See? No fall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Look, sometimes you just have to get a pinfall, send your opponent to a penalty box, and then climb a ladder to hang the belt above the ring if you want to win. See? No fall.

My ringside confession is that I kinda like the King Of The Mountain match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

fatherofmustard posted:

Sure, but they're rare. They might as well say, "The following contest is not a cage match!"