Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

NtotheTC posted:

Everything is inbred to hell at this point so I don't even know why they bother trying to separate these things into "flavours" of *nix other than ancient tribalism

Package managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

AmigaOS/Workbench 1.3 or get the gently caress out!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve used all these OS and more

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
windows 10

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve used all these OS and more

I'm struggling to think of an OS I haven't used. :corsair:

Probably quite a lot, but still....

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

It still has a poo poo load of protocols and utilities from GNU. If you want an OS* that doesn't have Stallmans gross cheeto-fingerprints all over it your only option is Windows
MaxOS has nothing in common with Linux at the kernel level, which is what the comment is about.
Mac OS is a micro kernel (their original pre-NeXT OS) and a monolithic kernel heavily based on FreeBSD, but essentially copied the architecture rather than lifted the code wholesale.
Linux was written after this, based on neither, and is a single monolithic kernel. It's why it's vastly more effecient and runs most of the servers in the world.
Windows is essentially the MacOS model but without the monolithic kernel and cobbles together everything one should do out of higher level components. This is why it's largely slower, larger, and fundamentally insecure by design.

Saying they're all the same because some userland tools and switches share the same name is like saying every car is "basically the same" because they have a steering wheel and a button that says air conditioning.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

MaxOS has nothing in common with Linux at the kernel level, which is what the comment is about.
Mac OS is a micro kernel (their original pre-NeXT OS) and a monolithic kernel heavily based on FreeBSD, but essentially copied the architecture rather than lifted the code wholesale.
Linux was written after this, based on neither, and is a single monolithic kernel. It's why it's vastly more effecient and runs most of the servers in the world.
Windows is essentially the MacOS model but without the monolithic kernel and cobbles together everything one should do out of higher level components. This is why it's largely slower, larger, and fundamentally insecure by design.

Saying they're all the same because some userland tools and switches share the same name is like saying every car is "basically the same" because they have a steering wheel and a button that says air conditioning.

Nerd

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Khablam posted:

Windows had a monolithic kernel until like win2k or something.

But yeah, the major difference between most flavours of *nix is the package manager.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

Same tbh.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I use TempleOS

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Custard Undies posted:

AmigaOS/Workbench 1.3 or get the gently caress out!

TOS 1.62

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Them's fighting words! Atari sucks! Amiga (Commodore) forever! :boom:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

I'm gonna bet you have at least at one point in your life installed Gentoo.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Khablam posted:

Appreciate the big dumb effort post. If they'd taught you reading comprehension at your fancy private school you'd see that I didn't say "all OS's are the same" I said "they're inbred" which is something I'd have thought you'd be familiar (:haw:) with. The original point was that Richard Stallman, noted toe-scab eater, has a load of involvement in MacOS just the same as in Linux and has that has nothing to do with the specific kernel the OS uses so not sure why you brought it up?

e: oh you brought it up because wicka said BSD-derived which was entirely not the point we were talking about so that's another indictment of your expensive education. the kernel is a component of an OS not the OS itself.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 23, 2019

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Also if you care about Linux more than "I use it for work" you're a nerd hth

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

Appreciate the big dumb effort post. If they'd taught you reading comprehension at your fancy private school you'd see that I didn't say "all OS's are the same" I said "they're inbred" which is something I'd have thought you'd be familiar (:haw:) with. The original point was that Richard Stallman, noted toe-scab eater, has a load of involvement in MacOS just the same as in Linux and has that has nothing to do with the specific kernel the OS uses so not sure why you brought it up?
Do you think anything opensource is inherently the work of Stallman, and therefore bad, or how are you coming to these misconceptions?
Your statement parses as "all versions of linux, unix BSD and MacOS are essentially the same because they use opensource somewhere".

Which is dumb, so feel free to make an actual statement that isn't just you walking it back whilst trying to throw in some 'gotchas' AKA all your posting.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Custard Undies posted:

Them's fighting words! Atari sucks! Amiga (Commodore) forever! :boom:

Thanks for that Eric Schwartz

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

shut the gently caress up khablam

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Khablam posted:

anything opensource is inherently the work of Stallman, and therefore bad,
How can a morally grounded and rational citizen doubt this obvious fact? Open source is literally the Jeffrey Epstein's plane of software

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
some of y'all need to chill the gently caress out and accept rms as your personal saviour

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

Do you think anything opensource is inherently the work of Stallman

This would piss Stallman off so much, good job.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Can someone help me program in Holy C? All this loving OS has is bible hymns

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
i loving hate nerds

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rhopunzel posted:

i loving hate nerds this thread

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMRLFJh0TVs

I mean is it even The Chain when the instrumental is gone?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theophany posted:

this is trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF-hMABAr74 this is good

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

can one of you nerds please tell me how I fix this.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the kentucky quid posted:

Bin your laptop and collect some tyres whiilst you're in there.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Do I need to get a new laptop for this?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't realize VirtualBox ran on Windows 3.1

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Do I need to get a new laptop for this?

My friend, you need help.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Custard Undies posted:

I'm struggling to think of an OS I haven't used. :corsair:

Probably quite a lot, but still....

BeOS

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

so who's going to sack up and fork this so we can have #blessedOS

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

so who's going to sack up and fork this so we can have #blessedOS

Can you write an OS in Powershell?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Sorry to bring this turd after a curry of a thread back to racing, but holy lmao:

https://grist.org/article/ford-v-ferrari-is-the-climate-change-horror-film-nobody-needed/

I am watching the 24 Hour War on Netflix as I post this and it loving owns.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I didn’t know Grandma in Miami knew how to computer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Theophany posted:

Eat chain

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I'm not retarded so I'm not sure what this means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Theophany posted:

I'm not retarded so I'm not sure what this means