Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i just re-watched canelo / floyd and it's a much different fight to what i remember - probably because i can hear the commentary and the crowd reaction instead of the general atmosphere of wherever i was at the time. i could see how - if you listened to the crowd pop - you could score the fight much closer for canelo then the near-shutout i had it if you scored the 'bodywork' canelo was putting in in the first six rounds. the commentary team and the crowd were delighted at canelo's work to the body but nearly none of them were scoring shots.

it was an utter domination by floyd. first time through i scored it 119-109, this time i had it 118-110. really good fight, really watchable. floyd stood in the pocket for much of the fight but had canelo so gun shy because of the insane accuracy of his counters. extremely good poo poo. sort of miss floyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2QFkXNkWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

I think I'm coming round to Canelo tbh. Obviously the bullshit with his scorecards can leave a bad taste in the mouth, but he's a pretty engaging fighter to watch, and seems genuinely willing to go after big fights against risky opponents. Could he be accused of ever ducking anyone? Genuine question, I've only been a very casual boxing fan up until the last year or so.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1195344945814659072?s=19

LMAO he just cannot help himself

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Still B.A.E posted:

I think I'm coming round to Canelo tbh. Obviously the bullshit with his scorecards can leave a bad taste in the mouth, but he's a pretty engaging fighter to watch, and seems genuinely willing to go after big fights against risky opponents. Could he be accused of ever ducking anyone? Genuine question, I've only been a very casual boxing fan up until the last year or so.

Not currently. He definitely delayed the Golovkin fight for a year, going so far as to drop a belt instead of fighting GGG, who was the mandatory opponent at the time.

He's an excellent fighter really staking out a big legacy right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i hope ruiz knocks him out again

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1195415544943525889

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh no 25 whole currency that must be terrible wow, I’m so sorry that PPVs are getting so expensive over there. Hope you survive

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

To save everyone else the hassle, at the current exchange rate, that's $32 and a quarter.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The continued success of $75 PPVs is the biggest mystery of boxing to me.

How many people even have 5 friends into boxing enough to chip in and split the cost? These aren't megafights either.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monday Bandele posted:

The continued success of $75 PPVs is the biggest mystery of boxing to me.

How many people even have 5 friends into boxing enough to chip in and split the cost? These aren't megafights either.

If Fathom events is showing the PPV, a friend and I always get tickets. It’s usually $20 per person and fun as hell.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Anybody ever gone to a movie theater to watch a fight?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

GalacticAcid posted:

Anybody ever gone to a movie theater to watch a fight?

I've done it for quite a few (a few Mayweathers, basically every Canelo fight while he was on pay per view) and enjoyed it. Either the theater is empty and it's like watching it at home a big screen or the place is packed which tends to give a good-but not overwhelming like being in an arena-energy.

Assuming you are talking about Wilder-Ortiz II Saturday I would think it's more the latter but I would recommend it either way.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Nice, thanks! Idk if I can do it for Wilder but I’d like to try it out at some point.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm not planning on writing anything up for Wilder-Ortiz II by the way.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm not planning on writing anything up for Wilder-Ortiz II by the way.

Everyone please flood this man's private messages with
TO THIS DAY copied for as long as the message allows

EDIT: Look what you've done. No write-up and the a fight is already canceled. MGM might as well start issuing refunds now

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1198061926703493120

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 23, 2019

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCFZzpWC1w8

Really enjoyed this

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm home sick and bored as poo poo. Is the Wilder Ortiz card worth ordering if I'm just a dumb mma fan who rarely watches boxing?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Chichevache posted:

I'm home sick and bored as poo poo. Is the Wilder Ortiz card worth ordering if I'm just a dumb mma fan who rarely watches boxing?

there is bellator going on right now if you can handle non-ufc mma

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Robbery of the year alert: John Ryder beat the poo poo out of Callum Smith but didn't even get the courtesy of a split decision loss.

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013

Wikipedia posted:

John Ryder (boxer)

John the hitman Ryder (born 19 July 1988) is a British professional boxer who has held the WBA interim super-middleweight title since May 2019. At regional level he has challenged twice for the British middleweight title in 2013 and 2015, and once for the British super-middleweight title in 2017. On the 24th November 2019, Ryder was robbed by the corrupt Matchroom Boxing.
If this was Hearn's brilliant plan to set Smith up for a Saunders or Alvarez challenge, he could have at least tried to put in a unanimous decision grade performance, or even a split decision performance, instead of just walking out and getting pushed around for twelve rounds.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
WBC implementing system to evaluate judges in real time

quote:

"Basically, it's a system that is aimed at evaluating ring officials," said Mauricio Sulaiman, the head of the WBC. "We're doing live evaluations, live scoring by judges working in other countries, judging that fight on television, some judges working on site.

"And this will create a full evaluation of every single title fight, and the performance of judges is evaluated and graded. That will lead to a more complex, a more realistic accountability of actions and performances of ring officials," said Sulaiman, who made it clear that these five select judges, whose scores are not official in any real capacity, will be handing in their cards as the fights take place.
When asked if the scores of the five unofficial judges will be broadcast as the fights are taking place, Sulaiman said: "We are contemplating a diversity of outlets for that information to go out, because it's unofficial, but it's five real top-notch officials scoring the bout."

So what happens to a judge who has a scorecard that is highly contentious and debatable?

"We can all have bad nights in life," Sulaiman said. "What we usually do is, they have a report to fill out after every fight. The (WBC) supervisor also fills out a report. We constantly get feedback on the judges and reference their performance. So if there's something really, really bad, we have even met in person and gone over the situation and reviewed it, think about it and talk about it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Anyone watching the wilder PPV?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

Anyone watching the wilder PPV?

Yup. Making a go at getting more into this boxing thing.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheKingslayer posted:

Yup. Making a go at getting more into this boxing thing.

I don’t know a whole lot about it, but these two boys are going at it, and it’s entertaining as hell

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Boxing in the 2010's is a major blind spot for me.

But yes these guys are whipping rear end.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheKingslayer posted:

But yes these guys are whipping rear end.

They’ve just been standing and trading for 3 rounds. It’s kinda nuts.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Figueroa vs Ceja was a great, phonebooth fight. Both those dudes gonna be pissing blood.

Edit: Draw seems fair.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 24, 2019

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Surprised they actually gave the draw. Seemed right, though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone else get the commentary complaining about the red corner audio drowning him out? lol

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Can’t watch, wish I could.

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013
Been a great undercard so far. I'm going to regret having not gone to the movie theater for the Fathom showing of this one.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m this random one man broadcast crew announcer calling everyone chiseled.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It will be poetic if Wilder gets beaten up tonight after he, Fury, and Joshua all avoided making the big fight happen. Joshua gets KOed, Fury gets his face turned into hamburger by a nobody... Wilder deserves some comeuppance.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m also this corner translator who only translates 3 words and then awkwardly lets the rest of the break go by.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/FloydMayweather/status/1198110538418384896

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol Wilder looks like a white Power Rangers zord

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
What if an elementary schoolgirl was really into both pretty princesses and warhammer? They'd cosplay as Wilder tonight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think Wilder's outfit is really cool even though it's extremely gaudy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Geez Wilder's record is getting pretty impressive numerically speaking even if he did crush some cans along the way.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The single PBC commentator keeps talking about how sweaty both fighters are and its the funniest poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

The single PBC commentator keeps talking about how sweaty both fighters are and its the funniest poo poo.

Both men are... chiseled.