Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Solitair posted:

I blame Araki locking him in the Mystery Box for most of the plot. Jury's still out on JoJolion, but hopefully this won't be as big a problem there as it is here.

It's not that he was a late arrival, so was Kira to a big extent, it was the failure to develop him in any serious way. He must be a billionaire, but he acts like a dirt poor stardust crusader villian of the week. He's a mafia don, but other than sending out a few guys, we never seen that. He's just there to be an obstacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Alaois posted:

nobody is offended by what you are saying, they just want you to stop talking because you are incredibly stupid and massively annoying to deal with

there is actually a difference.

Incredibly stupid? I say I disagree with something, and I say why. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Spark That Bled posted:

Incredibly stupid? I say I disagree with something, and I say why. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

You've never made a single post that isn't some moronic question that you think is incredibly clever. Actually make an argument or I'm going to hit you with a folding chair.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Fun fact: instead of hypothesizing about what queer representation marvel movies may or may not have in the future, it's possible to watch films created by and about queer people, like The Watermelon Woman, a film Kyle Kallgren covered a while back in a video with a depressingly low view count:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFdsT5roD4Y

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

buddhist nudist posted:

You've never made a single post that isn't some moronic question that you think is incredibly clever. Actually make an argument or I'm going to hit you with a folding chair.

I've actually posted links to videos I liked, pretty recently in fact.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I regret participating in this argument for even a single post.

Here's something better. A little while back someone in this thread posted Kruggsmash's short forts series where he plays through Dwarf Fortress setting up gimmicky forts. He spices up the presentation a bit with some fun illustrations throughout the videos.

I've been watching a few of them and they're oddly relaxing and generally pleasant. I've been enjoying his latest Skullhorror series, which starts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG3e3wYCQU4

Thanks, I like it.

I've never really gotten into Dwarf Fortress as a game or any of its stories, but the interstitial drawings is bringing me back to some childhood TV that's making it a lot more tolerable. I'm thinking of the 80's PBS series Read It/Cover to Cover, where the host introduces a YA novel, then illustrates dramatic passages while a voice actor reads out the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PglgCTH9YcA

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

If the next Thor movie comes out and has a scene where Valkyrie and Jane Foster kiss, I'm putting these words up with a screencap of that kiss.

I NEED an explanation for this nonsensical take. Saagonsa’a assertion that having two character supposedly be gay, but not putting that into the movie in any way shape or form, is an even worse form of LGBT representation than just making some nameless extra gay. How would this refute that point in any way, shape, or form?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Spark That Bled posted:

If the next Thor movie comes out and has a scene where Valkyrie and Jane Foster kiss, I'm putting these words up with a screencap of that kiss.

Hey you wanna :toxx: on that? Disney loves Chinese money too much to put any real LGBT representation on screen.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ariong posted:

I NEED an explanation for this nonsensical take. Saagonsaa assertion that having two character supposedly be gay, but not putting that into the movie in any way shape or form, is an even worse form of LGBT representation than just making some nameless extra gay. How would this refute that point in any way, shape, or form?

Because I thought Acute Grill made up the nameless grieving extra, because they didn't refer to the movie by name.

And Tessa Thompson made a comment about Valkyrie needing to find her queen, and I don't imagine Taika Waititi not going to let that be forced into the background over worries about selling to China.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

LBGT representation in Marvel films is pretty similar to in something like Overwatch -- it's all in side content and not in the main product so it can be easily ignored when sold to homophobic markets. And of course Marvel films are products rather than, as Scorsese said, the cinema of people conveying emotional experience to other humans.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Spark That Bled posted:

Because I thought Acute Grill made up the nameless grieving extra, because they didn't refer to the movie by name.

Spark That Bled posted:

Just do a little bit of research next time?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

And Tessa Thompson made a comment about Valkyrie needing to find her queen, and I don't imagine Taika Waititi not going to let that be forced into the background over worries about selling to China.

See, this is the problem. You alter opinions that you disagree with into unreasonable nonsense, and then you’re surprised when nobody sees you as the reasonable one.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ariong posted:

See, this is the problem. You alter opinions that you disagree with into unreasonable nonsense, and then youre surprised when nobody sees you as the reasonable one.

You think I do this deliberately?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spark That Bled posted:

Dude, or dudette, please let this go.

professor metis posted:

LBGT representation in Marvel films is pretty similar to in something like Overwatch -- it's all in side content and not in the main product so it can be easily ignored when sold to homophobic markets. And of course Marvel films are products rather than, as Scorsese said, the cinema of people conveying emotional experience to other humans.

I think the former is true, or truth enough that it's worth discussing and pushing for that content to be no longer mere subtext but text; while the later is total boomer yelling at clouds bullshit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

No. Neither does everyone else, that’s why people are saying you’re dumb. We think you are failing to grasp what the people you respond to are saying, which is why your responses are ridiculous at best and nonsense at worst.

E: See also: the person saying that everybody who likes marvel movies is a Nazi who you inexplicably took at face value. That was very dumb.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 24, 2019

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Spark That Bled posted:

No, we think you're a loving moron. Shut the gently caress up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I want to clarify on my earlier post re: the MCU eating my baby.

The MCU really did eat my baby. Just gobbled it right up and left the diaper and baby onesie on the floor all neatly folded.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there hasn't been a good movie made in America since the 1970s

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

while the later is total boomer yelling at clouds bullshit.

Why do you think that? I think it's pretty accurate. Marvel films are far more product than they are attempts to communicate ideas about humanity.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Alaois posted:

there hasn't been a good movie

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alaois posted:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ariong posted:

No. Neither does everyone else, thats why people are saying youre dumb. We think you are failing to grasp what the people you respond to are saying, which is why your responses are ridiculous at best and nonsense at worst.

E: See also: the person saying that everybody who likes marvel movies is a Nazi who you inexplicably took at face value.

I've been lurking here for a few years, and just reading this thread quietly, and I kind of expected people to talk down to me, treat me like I'm dumb when I post. I didn't expect it to be this easy, though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Spark That Bled posted:

I've been lurking here for a few years, and just reading this thread quietly, and I kind of expected people to talk down to me, treat me like I'm dumb when I post. I didn't expect it to be this easy, though.

The normal response would be to not post like the biggest loving dumbass but apparently that's beyond you

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Alaois posted:

What makes a good movie for you? I know it's easy to be dismayed by the dominance of shallow blockbusters but there have been some pretty great movies made in recent years - Moonlight, Lady Bird and Carol are all ones that come to mind immediately for me.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

Acting like being treated like a dumbass was your secret plan all along is a very old strategy, and it’s never been a good look. Dance puppets dance, etc.

professor metis posted:

What makes a good movie for you? I know it's easy to be dismayed by the dominance of shallow blockbusters but there have been some pretty great movies made in recent years - Moonlight, Lady Bird and Carol are all ones that come to mind immediately for me.

It’s all been downhill since all this sound nonsense became all the rage.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

professor metis posted:

Why do you think that? I think it's pretty accurate. Marvel films are far more product than they are attempts to communicate ideas about humanity.

professor metis posted:

And of course Marvel films are products rather than, as Scorsese said, the cinema of people conveying emotional experience to other humans.

It's because you didn't put qualifiers in your original statement, you made it a binary between the value of a movie being a product or not product, of cinema or not cinema. All films are cinema, and all films are products and all products are cinema. But just as all not all films are equally good, or enjoyable, or even equally good or enjoyable to all audiences, afterall the only scene I liked from the Godfather is the pasta sauce recipe scene. Ergo, some films are more products than they are cinema, but they are still "cinema" because cinema is just a construct with no reasonable definition that would also exclude "products".

I can concede that depending on the given MCU film it's more of a product created to result in profits and deliver mainly spectacle or act as a mere touchstone for the grander project; but some clearly successfully delivering emotional experiences that people value and find meaning in. I tear up whenever I rewatch Kungfu Panda, it's art, it's cinema.

As such, taking Scorsese at face value that a genre he doesn't likes is somehow not cinema is just the new Roger Ebert with "video games are not and can never be art"; it's out of touch and you'll be dead and six feet under the ground and no one will remember what you've said except to chuckle.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Alaois posted:

It’s all about Indonesia right now

e: this is not a joke btw some of my favorite movies this decade has come out of Indonesia

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Spark That Bled posted:

serious question, how is "I expected you all to treat me like an idiot" as a response to people calling you an idiot supposed to help in any way? Is this supposed to be a "I was trolling all along and you fell for it" kinda gag?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ariong posted:

Acting like being treated like a dumbass was your secret plan all along is a very old strategy, and its never been a good look. Dance puppets dance, etc.

If I knew how to not get treated like a dumbass whenever I post to this thread, I wouldn't be talking about this right now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

professor metis posted:

listen you seem okay so i'm not gonna go off at you but c'mon lol

watho posted:

e: this is not a joke btw some of my favorite movies this decade has come out of Indonesia

hell yeah

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Spark That Bled posted:

If I knew how to not get treated like a dumbass whenever I post to this thread, I wouldn't be talking about this right now.

I've only read like 10% of the things you've posted in this thread and I already regret it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's because you didn't put qualifiers in your original statement, you made it a binary between the value of a movie being a product or not product, of cinema or not cinema. All films are cinema, and all films are products and all products are cinema. But just as all not all films are equally good, or enjoyable, or even equally good or enjoyable to all audiences, afterall the only scene I liked from the Godfather is the pasta sauce recipe scene. Ergo, some films are more products than they are cinema, but they are still "cinema" because cinema is just a construct with no reasonable definition that would also exclude "products".

I can concede that depending on the given MCU film it's more of a product created to result in profits and deliver mainly spectacle or act as a mere touchstone for the grander project; but some clearly successfully delivering emotional experiences that people value and find meaning in. I tear up whenever I rewatch Kungfu Panda, it's art, it's cinema.

As such, taking Scorsese at face value that a genre he doesn't likes is somehow not cinema is just the new Roger Ebert with "video games are not and can never be art"; it's out of touch and you'll be dead and six feet under the ground and no one will remember what you've said except to chuckle.

What I think matters is the primary aim of a movie. Is the objective of a Marvel movie to communicate a particular idea, or to sell itself? What about Kung Fu Panda, as you say, or the Lighthouse, or Moonlight?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois posted:

fuckkc yu The Incredibles ru.lled

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ariong posted:

Acting like being treated like a dumbass was your secret plan all along is a very old strategy, and its never been a good look. Dance puppets dance, etc.

If I knew how to post without people treating me like a dumbass, I wouldn't be saying that. None of this would be happening.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

serious question, how is "I expected you all to treat me like an idiot" as a response to people calling you an idiot supposed to help in any way? Is this supposed to be a "I was trolling all along and you fell for it" kinda gag?

Because that's been my experience with most things related to these forums since forever? I got the impression that this wasn't some nice, amiable "hugbox" where people can discuss things in a friendly manner. I get the impression that posting on SA is expecting a fight, otherwise everyone else would eat you alive.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Alaois posted:

listen you seem okay so i'm not gonna go off at you but c'mon lol

I mean I agree that the American film landscape is kinda depressing, but there's still good stuff! Don't lose hope!

I just like cinema, ok!!

But also yeah other countries are making really really great films that get totally ignored. China in particular has really great movies on industrial alienation.

Edit: please everyone watch Angels Wear White. Thanks.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 24, 2019

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

watho posted:

Spill the deets. Gimmie the good Indonesian movies!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

every time I watch an American western movie with few exceptions I basically just think to myself “yeah this is good but it’s not the raid movies or the night comes for us”. Also gonna check out that one cut of the dead movie Jay talked about in the second part of the HITB movie recap

e: ^^^^ the raid 1 and 2 are some of the best action movies of all time. They’re extremely tense, and absurdly well shot and choreographed. The Night Comes For Us is not as good but still incredibly fun if you like/don’t mind absurd ultraviolence. It’s also a Netflix original so very easy to find

watho fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 24, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Spark That Bled posted:

If I knew how to post without people treating me like a dumbass, I wouldn't be saying that. None of this would be happening.

Because that's been my experience with most things related to these forums since forever? I got the impression that this wasn't some nice, amiable "hugbox" where people can discuss things in a friendly manner. I get the impression that posting on SA is expecting a fight, otherwise everyone else would eat you alive.

Going off of everything you've posted here and that exchange in the Anthem thread: the reason this is your experience on Something Awful is you read something and grossly misunderstand it. Then you leap to really-out-there conclusions and that leads to people laughing and prodding you in return. Then you just keep escalating by switching between more wild leaps of logic and embarrassing comebacks that convey you're still misreading everything.

You're right SA isn't a "hugbox" but the aggressive replies and mockery aren't coming out of nowhere and most people here are capable of having normal exchanges with people who are putting forth the effort to start a normal conversation. Nothing you post sounds like you're paying any attention or are worth more than a sassy one-line comeback, and that's why your entire posting experience is apparently permeated with this. SA is unlike a lot of other forums in that most people aren't posturing over civility, instead it's over who can get in sick burns on dumb poo poo the fastest.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 24, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

professor metis posted:

What I think matters is the primary aim of a movie. Is the objective of a Marvel movie to communicate a particular idea, or to sell itself? What about Kung Fu Panda, as you say, or the Lighthouse, or Moonlight?

Who are you to decide that they don't aim to convey a emotional experience? Does James Gunn go into work on Guardians of the Galaxy being like, "I'm just here to cash a cheque"? No, he wants to make a kickass movie that he feels reaches out and connects to people. He, the writers, the producers, the actors; in the aggregate want to make a good movie.

When a T-34 comes off the assembly line from Tankograd and we say, "This machine kills fascists!" it isn't because some bureaucrat decided it; but because that T-34 is like the spirit bomb of the proletariat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're right SA isn't a "hugbox" but the aggressive replies and mockery aren't coming out of nowhere and most people here are capable of having normal exchanges with people who are putting forth the effort to start a normal conversation. Nothing you post sounds like you're paying any attention or are worth more than a sassy one-line comeback, and that's why your entire posting experience is apparently permeated with this. SA is unlike a lot of other forums in that most people aren't posturing over civility, just over who can get in sick burns on dumb poo poo the fastest.

That's why when I post, I post expecting somebody to poo poo on me. Because that's how SA works, right? Because it's just people making burns on one another. I was expecting people to poo poo on me when I talk about how much I don't like Jim Sterling, or about how sick I am about hearing about bitching about microtransactions, or whatever it is that people hate about the MCU. I expect to be poo poo on because I don't agree with what everyone else is saying.