Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is how it worked in Sun and Moon

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/pokemon-sun-moon-breeding-guide/ posted:

Trade bottle caps and you can raise Pokemon's IVs above their actual levels. However these increases apply only in battle and not while breeding; so Pokemon who've had their IVs increased through Hyper Training will still pass on their original IVs if used to create eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/Irmrith/status/1198509728621424640
This happened earlier today, had to do a double take then hit the capture button to double check that yes in fact that did just happen.

Nintendo just has the best online, guys, the best.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, one detail I like in the Postgame Plot.

In the Max Raids alongside Hop and the Gym Leaders, Hop will Dynamax if you pass on it. However, if he somehow gets rekt before he gets a chance (like his Rillaboom did against the Torkoal in Motospoke for me), Piers will not, for obvious reasons. However, the OTHER Gym Leader in slot number 4 will Gigantamax, if the battle lasts that long.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Why did they put tall grass in front of the breeding house in the Wild Area aaaaaaagh

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't think mints or bottle caps actually change natures or IVs themselves rather than altering the stats they affect accordingly. It wouldn't matter for the purposes of passing down those traits with breeding.

Figured, thank you!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

So let me get this straight

I can catch/breed a Pokémon I want to use for competitive, bottle cap the IVs, mint the nature, stuff it with vitamins and save a ridiculous amount of time compared to the bad old days?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Beasteh posted:

So let me get this straight

I can catch/breed a Pokémon I want to use for competitive, bottle cap the IVs, mint the nature, stuff it with vitamins and save a ridiculous amount of time compared to the bad old days?

Yes but you have to level the mon to 100, get a bottle cap, farm BP for the mint and possibly the ability capsule, get like 500k for the vitamins. I'm not convinced it's actually faster, just easier.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Avalerion posted:

Yes but you have to level the mon to 100, get a bottle cap, farm BP for the mint and possibly the ability capsule, get like 500k for the vitamins. I'm not convinced it's actually faster, just easier.
I was confused by this part until I realized "oh yeah, without a connection to pokebank making it stupidly easy to generate thousands of BP, you actually have to like, win those through fights"

...yeah, 50 BP is actually a decently high amount to pay, isn't it. crap.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blaziken386 posted:

I was confused by this part until I realized "oh yeah, without a connection to pokebank making it stupidly easy to generate thousands of BP, you actually have to like, win those through fights"

...yeah, 50 BP is actually a decently high amount to pay, isn't it. crap.

If it helps you don't need to actually train any real Pokemon for the battle tower you can use the Skill rental team. Also you get a random mint whenever you go up a rank so if you're lucky you don't need to pay any BP at all.

Also pokedollars are insanely easy to farm in this game thanks to Gigantamax Meowth. Use G-max move 3 times in a match and you get 100k+the money from the trainer. With the 3 champion cup fights that's 350k+ per run, assuming you don't get some of the ghost type trainers or Leon.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: Unless you get lucky finding them elsewhere, the only unlimited source of reliable Bottlecaps is... buying them from the Battle Tower for 25BP each. And each regular bottlecap only Maxes out *one* IV. So you need up to six per mon, if you want to max out all six IVs.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
For all the help we've been given for making competitive Mons I can't believe there's nothing to get an IV down to zero. Making a Trick Room team is harder than it needs to be.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/AshitanoGin/status/1198547626867732480

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

BlazetheInferno posted:

Worth noting: Unless you get lucky finding them elsewhere, the only unlimited source of reliable Bottlecaps is... buying them from the Battle Tower for 25BP each. And each regular bottlecap only Maxes out *one* IV. So you need up to six per mon, if you want to max out all six IVs.
ughhh

why is it with all these QoL changes, the easiest way to go about these things is still a 6IV ditto?
I suppose they're helpful for shiny/gigamax pokemon though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Polteageist is my favorite new pokemon, partially because it's actually very good (Shell smash, Stored Power + Shadowball for the rest is ridiculous)

Partially because it's a tiny, floating teapot

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BlazetheInferno posted:

The left digging brother will dig them up occasionally so dumping your Watts into him is a decent way to amass bottlecaps. So much hitting A my finger got tired though.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I think the biggest thing bugging me about this game is its story, yes I know "who plays pokemon for story lmao you idiot, you fool", but coming from Sun/Moon which had interesting characters and pretty good villains, Lusamine and Guzma, Sword/Shield has nobody even half as good as them, Rose and Oleana are complete jokes who have stupid motivations and they exit the story almost as soon as they enact their grand plan.

Hell, even if Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon was weaker storyline wise as it changed Lusamine's motivations there was still the looming threat of Necrozma told to you by the Ultra Recon Squad throughout the game, it's just such a disappointment that Sword and Shield dropped the ball so hard with its story and took three giant steps backwards.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I somehow caught a 6 IV, Gigantamax, Hidden Ability (Swift Swim) Drednaw and traded it to a friend

Apparently G-Max are not allowed in ranked? He was not happy

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Blaziken386 posted:

IIRC, in gen 7, if you gave a normal meowth an everstone, its kids would likewise be normal meowths, not alolan ones. The same should hold true here?
Oh my god it worked

It works for Yamask, too, so you can still get your living Dex!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Strangers just don't join raids at all :( If my friends are playing at the time it's the only way I can get non NPCs. God this system sucks

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Haven’t seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but the ev power hold items work with pokejobs and seem to triple the output.

Did a half day attack ev job with two mons. Normal one got 48 evs and the one holding the power bracer got 144. I have a speed ev item still on a full day job, so this evening ill confirm if it gives 252. If this is true its only 2 day to max ev train a mon.

Also supposedly pokerus doubles that so you could full ev a dude in 2 half day missions.

Anyone got pokerus yet to trade? Ive got some 5?iv adamant drilburs made up to trade.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Is Nintendo making game boy/gba games available for switch? I want a Pokémon fix but don’t want to spend sixty bucks on the new ones honestly

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What do you want for it :stare:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Is Nintendo making game boy/gba games available for switch? I want a Pokémon fix but don’t want to spend sixty bucks on the new ones honestly

You can get Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver and Crystal on the 3DS Virtual Console, as for coming to the Switch, that's a huge no.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't Let's Go just a remake of Red and Blue?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/KirbyCheatFurby/status/1198426420042616836?s=20

Feb 2, 2005
Anyone having an issue with days not ticking over? The guys in Stow-on-side have been stuck for me for the last 3 days. Is it because I've been transferring my save data back and forth between my switch and my lite?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Quote posted:

Anyone having an issue with days not ticking over? The guys in Stow-on-side have been stuck for me for the last 3 days. Is it because I've been transferring my save data back and forth between my switch and my lite?

Wait, the save can transfer? Why can I not seem to do so with either SwSh or Let's Go?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quote posted:

Possibly. The same thing happens when you change the system clock. It takes like 24-36 hours for time based stuff to reset back to normal.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Me watching Hattrem evolution animation only to find out that she turns into this generation's weird sexy woman Pokémon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JordanKai posted:

Me watching Hattrem evolution animation only to find out that she turns into this generation's weird sexy woman Pokémon.

Not sure how you find an ice cream cone sexy but ok

Feb 2, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Possibly. The same thing happens when you change the system clock. It takes like 24-36 hours for time based stuff to reset back to normal.

drat that sucks. My wife and I were enjoying taking turns on the big screen :-/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Why does every vaguely feminine Pokemon have a bunch of people drop thier game to post about how sexy it is to them, nobody wants to know about your fetish

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RatHat posted:

But enough of Alcremie

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

women only exist for one reason so if a pokemon looks like a woman well we all know what it's for

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RatHat posted:

That's obviously not what I meant.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone talks about wanting to have sex with Lopunny, but nobody wants to feel all of Machamps hands on them.

He has No Guard. :wink:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Can you not synchronize the box legendary?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I miss pokeamie or whatever in sun where half the pokemon evolved into grown men and their fav tickle spot was always the groin.
I'm with you there incineroar

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

JordanKai posted:

That's obviously not what I meant.

Welcome to hell kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Just beat the champion and I have really enjoyed the game alot. I have about 43 hours played because I really enjoyed just messing around in the wild area. I haven't played any pokemon games since Black so there were a lot of pokemon that were new to me. Its kind of amazing to me that a lot of people seem to poo poo on the game because so far its my favorite since gen 1 and 2.

Things I love about the game:
-Wild areas are amazing and I hope this is the future of the franchise. I would love it if in future games there aren't even routes anymore, and the whole world is just one huge wild area.
- Way less npc trainers and getting exp for catching pokemon. I loved that I can level up dudes just by filling up my dex and get from town to town faster thanks to not having to fight a bunch of crappy trainers.
- Exp share. At first I wasn't sure about this mechanic since I literally never used exp share in any of the other games, but after playing with it I really like it. I had a much bigger "core" of guys to use for gym fights in this game than I normally do.
-Raid battles are really fun and I am excited to see what kind of builds people come up with for raids. I tend to enjoy playing support type characters in co-op games so I hope raids give underused support type pokemon a place to shine in pve. The rewards for the raids are also sick and I literally do every raid I can even if its not a pokemon I care about bulding.
-As far as the story goes I don't really care too much about the story in these games, but I liked the gym challenges and the sports theme. I also liked having multiple rivals and it was seeing the gym leaders use their real teams at the end.
-Seems like breeding good pokemon is much less time consuming now thanks to raid battles giving good IV pokemon, plus you have the bottle caps and mints to boost rare pokemon like shinies or legendaries.
-The main legendary being poison type because that has always been my favorite type.
-Online stuff is cool and I like being able to see other players riding around even if I can't interact with them much. I hope the multiplayer features will be expanded on in future games.
-Grookey. He is my favorite starter from all the games and I am tempted to make another save on a different switch account where I just use him to beat the story.

Things I didn't like about the game:
- Didn't like that the level of pokemon you could catch was gated behind badges. I had about 25 hours in the game before getting the third gym badge because I was having so much fun doing raids and catching as many pokemon as I could. The pokedex pointing you to areas where you hadn't caught everything was awesome, but eventually I hit a wall where I couldn't catch anything new without getting more badges. This kind of took me out of the game because I had to stop doing what I was enjoying to go do the story, and so I ended up just blitzing through the rest of the gyms and I feel like I got rushed through and didn't fully explore a lot of the zones since I just wanted to be able to catch guys. There's nothing stopping me from going back now, but I was in a groove and I don't like being forced out of it, plus now that I have beaten the story I want to focus on breeding guys for pvp.

The team I ended up using for most of the story was
Rillaboom
Mudsdale
Wishiwashi (kept waiting for him to evolve but he never did)
Grimsnarl
Toxtricity
Centiskorch

Right before doing the last fights before the champion I swapped out Wishiwashi for a Gigantimax level 70 Corviknight from a raid and Toxtricity for Eternatus who I used all my money and exp candies on so he was at level 100 with max EVs when I fought the champion. I do think its a little bullshit that they let you have him before the final fight, but its also kind of fun just to completely stomp the champion.