Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone please make a half life Alyx thread for me to get really hype in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone please make a half life Alyx thread for me to get really hype in

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904199&pagenumber=14#lastpost

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Taintrunner posted:

This may actually end up being the killer app, this looks really loving tight.

Half-Life got my attention but this exact video got me to seriously consider getting an Index.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

treat posted:

Half-Life got my attention but this exact video got me to seriously consider getting an Index.

I mean, problem is, think about your day to day real life of your hands. Think about trying to individually manipulate your ring fingers (next to your pinkie). It’s weird, isn’t it?

You never really do it! Outside of like, flipping the bird, you don’t need to individually tap your fingers unless you’re using a keyboard. So honesty I can live without finger tracking and the Knuckles, the grip button does essentially the same job.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, problem is, think about your day to day real life of your hands. Think about trying to individually manipulate your ring fingers (next to your pinkie). It’s weird, isn’t it?

You never really do it! Outside of like, flipping the bird, you don’t need to individually tap your fingers unless you’re using a keyboard. So honesty I can live without finger tracking and the Knuckles, the grip button does essentially the same job.

The force sensor is the feature that boneworks really sells

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Twibbit posted:

The force sensor is the feature that boneworks really sells

To do what?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

GreenMan Gaming has some good deals on for VR stuff at the moment:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/vr-titles/

Older titles, but I'm going to pick up Raw Data and Arizona Sunrise; what else is worthy on their list?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Older titles, but I'm going to pick up Raw Data and Arizona Sunrise; what else is worthy on their list?

SUPER

HOT

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oh natch, was I think the second vr title I bought :o:

Anything not 'VR AAA'? :D

Bottom of the page states there's a few more deals upcoming on the 26th including Fallout 4 and Skyrim; I know there's not a lot of love for them ITT but I got some solid gaming hours out of both, if the discount is good I would still recommend.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bridge Crew is really good if you 1) love star trek and 2) have people to play with cause I doubt anyone is online anymore

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It's not particularly popular or content-rich but I always found Eagle Flight a pleasant diversion. ~75% off is about the right price to pay for it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I bought Bridge Crew at launch and then got to play it. Real bummer that.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Just got the quest. Has anyone done magic casting right? I saw some indie dev made what I think is a non-vr game a while back where you just walk around effing things up casting magic. Looking for a single player experience.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

bobua posted:

Just got the quest. Has anyone done magic casting right? I saw some indie dev made what I think is a non-vr game a while back where you just walk around effing things up casting magic. Looking for a single player experience.

Waltz of the Wizard is supposed to be out for the Quest in early december, I think.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Arizona Sunrise is one of the "+5" titles you get on some of the other deals; I think R6 is slightly cheaper but you'd get Arizona and 4 others you can choose from 10 with any of the +5 titles if you're comfortable with giving Intel your email address. I got Forager as it's a bit like an idler. Bad controller mappings though.

As long as they still have stock of course. Five of the titles are VR ones (Rock Band, Killing Floor, Star Trek, Sprint Vector, Arizona) but Rock Band needs special hardware or something and I couldn't get it working.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bobua posted:

"The Wizards" is a single player experience where you, well, cast magic. Journey of the Gods is mostly mele and bow combat, but theres also magic powers and stuff you get as well, sort of kind of a cut down zelda type game a bit. OrbusVR is definitely *not* a single player game, but its worth mentioning since its the only MMO out on the quest (cross play with PC), and you can obviously play as a wizard class and cast spells.

If you have access to a vr capable PC however, you can also look into some more things. The Mage's Tale is a dungeon crawler single player game, about 10+ hours, tons of secrets, mixing and creating your own spell combinations and is definitely worth a look if you want a single player experience. Also on PC if you catch The Unspoken on sale, it has a single player campaign, though is primarily a multiplayer game, and has really fun mechanics for spell casting but, its also pretty limited in gameplay other than the spell casting.

EDIT: Oh, worth mentioning on PC as well I guess, skyrim VR (with lots of mods) is the same old skyrim but in VR, however it can be fun roasting people with your hands and such.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

uiruki posted:

Arizona Sunrise is one of the "+5" titles you get on some of the other deals; I think R6 is slightly cheaper but you'd get Arizona and 4 others you can choose from 10 with any of the +5 titles if you're comfortable with giving Intel your email address. I got Forager as it's a bit like an idler. Bad controller mappings though.

As long as they still have stock of course. Five of the titles are VR ones (Rock Band, Killing Floor, Star Trek, Sprint Vector, Arizona) but Rock Band needs special hardware or something and I couldn't get it working.

Yeah I was just coming back to post and humph about that, buy Arizona Sunshine, get offered free key for... Arizona Sunshine. I checked to see if there were any cheap +5 games so folks could buy and then grab five freebies.

Don't know if everyone gets the came choice on the Intel site, but I got offered:

AdVenture Capitalist
Arizona Sunshine
Gas Guzzlers Extreme
Guns of Icarus Alliance
IPIP
Killing Floor: Incursion
Last Tide®
Neverwinter
Rock Band™ VR
Sprint Vector
Star Trek™: Bridge Crew
TERA
There Came an Echo
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

bold for VRness

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Doh!!! Sorry about that, wish I'd seen it earlier. I guess you get... some items for a F2P MMO?

That's the same list I see on the site so I guess it'll probably stay the same next week once the rest of the deals kick in. Thanks to the Link this'll be my first Steam sale with PC VR so I suspect it might get expensive.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

uiruki posted:

Arizona Sunrise is one of the "+5" titles you get on some of the other deals
Speaking of which, I still have 2 free games to pick remaining, but I'm not interested in any of them. These are the games you can choose from:

AdVenture Capitalist
Gas Guzzlers Extreme
Guns of Icarus Alliance
Last Tide
Neverwinter (25$ worth of ingame content; mount, starter pack, etc.)
Rock Band VR
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
TERA (40$ worth of ingame content; no idea)
There Came an Echo
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Whoever wants any of these can post here with contact info or drop me a PM and I'll send you the code on a first come, first served basis (assuming all the offers produce some kind of key or promo code, like the ones I already used did).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I played Arizona Sunshine up until the mineshaft. I don't want to keep playing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Same. I really don't like things reaching out and trying to touch me in VR. More specifically, my brain does not like getting the input from my eyes that something horrible is jumping out to try and grab the rest of my body.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Taintrunner posted:

The big deal isn't individual finger movement so much as it's the ability to manipulate objects in VR naturally, by opening and closing my hands around a thing, especially without having to maintain grip on some fat wand. I've spent a lot of time with the original Vive and those clubs they call controllers and I've been pretty apathetic about VR for the most part, but it's the little things like this that seem like a natural way to interface that have me excited.

Index question: can anyone comment on watching movies on the Index, particularly WRT the resolution and the stock headphone quality? Is it worth it? I don't own a TV or large monitor and I'd love to be able to emulate the theater experience with a fat, hot brick strapped to my face.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I haven't watched movies on it, but the Index has loving superb headphones, better than any headset I've ever owned.

Regarding the grip stuff, I can see the appeal of Index grip coming from the Vive wands, which have a lovely grip button designed for 6" fingers, but coming from the Oculus Touch, the Index sensors are a neat gimmick, but thus far no more gameplay functional than Touch's very ergonomic grip button trigger, and *makes hundredth post a out how lovely Index is for Echo Arena*

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ha same. I did the same with a spidery-cave in one of the Serious Sams. VR games need level select cheat codes.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It doesn't have headphones, it has "ear speakers" and they sound amazing: https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/deep-dive/ear-speakers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh lawdy there are some scorchingly hot bad takes in that thread

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
All the good games on that GMG sale are already out of stock. What the hell, did they only have like 100 codes each?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

treat posted:

Index question: can anyone comment on watching movies on the Index, particularly WRT the resolution and the stock headphone quality? Is it worth it? I don't own a TV or large monitor and I'd love to be able to emulate the theater experience with a fat, hot brick strapped to my face.
If you want a large screen experience, it works pretty well. Don't expect the highest resolution, tho. The horizontal resolution is 1440 pixels, and a virtual theater screen typically spans most of it. Minus the overhead for lenses. Ideally you don't have glasses and your headshape allows to pull the lenses close for maximum FOV. Personally I find it plenty acceptable, but I'd still like a 50% resolution boost on both axes eventually.

I watch occasional TV show episodes on it. Gizmo VR is a floating screen. Skybox VR has actual theater geometry, but it requires the motion controllers for controlling it. Bigscreen is also an alternative, it has plenty of settings and seating positions. There's also other players, but I haven't tried them yet.

The three quoted can also deal with 3D movies in varying formats.

--edit: Netflix doesn't work in Bigscreen, but Primevideo does. YMMV.

Shine posted:

I haven't watched movies on it, but the Index has loving superb headphones, better than any headset I've ever owned.
Yeah, I'd love the Index headphones as standalone option.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 25, 2019

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

treat posted:

The big deal isn't individual finger movement so much as it's the ability to manipulate objects in VR naturally, by opening and closing my hands around a thing, especially without having to maintain grip on some fat wand. I've spent a lot of time with the original Vive and those clubs they call controllers and I've been pretty apathetic about VR for the most part, but it's the little things like this that seem like a natural way to interface that have me excited.

Screen clarity is good enough to enjoy a virtual theater screen, IMO. Resolution can be an issue, in order to fully resolve every pixel of 1080p+ you'll need the virtual screen to be close enough that you have to physically look from left to right in order to view the entire screen. You'll still want to stick to HD media, since downsampling that will look better than trying to upsample SD media. You wont be able to appreciate 4k or HDR stuff with this.

The index speakers have good frequency response with minimal distortion all the way from 50 to 20,000hz or so. The store page claims 24,000hz, I can't verify it because I can't hear that high myself. It technically produces sound with frequencies as low as 40hz, but there's a pretty linear roll-off between 40 and 50hz. Of course, you're not going to get the "theater level thump", but what's there is going to sound pretty good.

Comfort-wise, whether or not you can wear a VR headset that long depends, but given the band style and how adjustable it can be, the index is most likely to fit you well and comfortably long enough to watch a movie.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you want a large screen experience, it works pretty well. Don't expect the highest resolution, tho. The horizontal resolution is 1440 pixels, and a virtual theater screen typically spans most of it. Minus the overhead for lenses. Ideally you don't have glasses and your headshape allows to pull the lenses close for maximum FOV. Personally I find it plenty acceptable, but I'd still like a 50% resolution boost on both axes eventually.

I watch occasional TV show episodes on it. Gizmo VR is a floating screen. Skybox VR has actual theater geometry, but it requires the motion controllers for controlling it. Bigscreen is also an alternative, it has plenty of settings and seating positions. There's also other players, but I haven't tried them yet.

I like Bigscreen as its an 'experience', haven't tried sharing a room yet but the fact I can throw my PLEX server up on the screen and then browse the library / watch a movie from my collection in a virtual theater is fantastic. And this is on an original VIVE mind you, so if you're on a newer headset with a lot less screen-door I imagine it will be even better.

And its free right now, of course :ssh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea I guess Bigscreen is the best option, because it mirrors the desktop (it supports multiple monitors), so you can play about anything, so long it doesn't use DRM like Netflix. That includes games.

It's "Grand Cinema" environment is nice for movie watching. The scenery gets lit by whats on screen, too.

Alternatively, you can pick a living room environment and place your virtual monitors all over the place and do whatever else that way. In that case, for productive stuff, you definitely need more resolution tho for longterm usability.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Index speakers + Buttkicker = a great goddamn time. Love playing flight/racing sims and Elite Dangerous on Index.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
OVRToolkit should be practically mandatory for anyone who doesn't have an Oculus headset. For $10USD you can pop desktop windows into your playspace, AND a passive wristwatch menu that tells you both the time and current battery levels of both controllers and Trackers.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Okay gang, what are some good chill games besides Pokerstars that I can play while watching something in a pinned Virtual Desktop window? Seated preferably.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Like, how chill? Blast the Past is seated and goes at whatever pace you want, and is free. There's always Desert Bus lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndrewP posted:

Okay gang, what are some good chill games besides Pokerstars that I can play while watching something in a pinned Virtual Desktop window? Seated preferably.

The IL-2: Battle of X career mode? It has plenty of downtime.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I had my headstrap set wrong on the Vive for 3 years. :negative:

It seems a lot better once I fixed it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bizwank posted:

Like, how chill? Blast the Past

How am I just discovering this? Looks cool

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

bizwank posted:

Like, how chill? Blast the Past is seated and goes at whatever pace you want, and is free.

Wow cool, I'll check it out.

Chill like Poker is chill - something to do while I watch football, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

The IL-2: Battle of X career mode? It has plenty of downtime.

I spent 20 minutes flying the P-38 on patrol, and it was so chill and pretty that I forgot to keep an eye out for enemy fighters and got bounced :cripes: