Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

So, can anyone in the know confirm my suspicions that the audiophile thing is dumb guy jackoff nonsense?

Because, in my gut, I feel most women wouldn't be into this nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DicktheCat posted:

So, can anyone in the know confirm my suspicions that the audiophile thing is dumb guy jackoff nonsense?

Yes. To see my premium post buy magic rocks, now only $50 each! (Minimum 10)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DicktheCat posted:

It is knowledge granted only to men, so they can mansplain it to women.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

All that cable shielding is to protect our precious audio from female energies.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

To give a somewhat genuine answer (off brand for these forums, I know), it's the same as anything else -

People are into other people who have a personality, not a hobby.

This extends even so far as to apply to shared interests.
I met my fiancée playing Magic: The Gathering, but there's still gotta be a lot more to a relationship than that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mehall posted:

To give a somewhat genuine answer (off brand for these forums, I know), it's the same as anything else -

People are into other people who have a personality, not a hobby.

This extends even so far as to apply to shared interests.
I met my fiancée playing Magic: The Gathering, but there's still gotta be a lot more to a relationship than that.
I don't think Dick was talking about relationships, but women who are, themselves, audiophiles, and to the best of my knowledge the field of "getting really into complete bullshit about audio equipment" is a male-dominated field.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IME it seems that not only are audiophiles mostly men, but that they're also generally older men. I suspect most of them developed hearing loss in the era before noise safety standards and earplugs, combined with "male identity music", and its a psychological thing where it's boomers spending absurd amounts of money to try and recapture the music so they can be cool again, and then building the whole thing into it's own "my hobby is my identity" thing too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

IME it seems that not only are audiophiles mostly men, but that they're also generally older men.

They're older men because they're
a) retired engineers so they can afford it but also so they are stupid enough to fall for it and arrogant enough to not be able to convinced it's all full of poo poo
b) divorcees because they're literally insufferable so they can pursue their hobby in peace

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Women tend to get into the "Crystals and stones" type thing*. Same made up bullshit, just "Natural" instead of 3 inch thick garden hose cables.

* As opposed to the "Audiophile movement and not a :biotruths: thing.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Women tend to get into the "Crystals and stones" type thing*. Same made up bullshit, just "Natural" instead of 3 inch thick garden hose cables.

* As opposed to the "Audiophile movement and not a :biotruths: thing.

Oh drat, I never thought of the audiophile thing being essentially a male-targeted equivalent of the healing crystal bullshit! :allears:

Wow, I wanna troll some cable bros now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Here, take these essential oils, rub them on your ears, can you feel hear that warmth?

Maybe male audiophiles scare away all the ladies. It seems to be a hobby that thrives on validation from others and a nice secure echo chamber. What's the point of vacuum tubes if people aren't praising you for your superior audio choices.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Audiophiles are repressed homosexual men who secretly imagine their 1/4” audio jack is their boihole being penetrated by a big thicc copper conductor

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Audiophiles are repressed homosexual men who secretly imagine their 1/4” audio jack is their boihole being penetrated by a big thicc copper conductor

no see the joke is supposed to be that audiophiles are bad and dumb

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Peanut Butler posted:

no see the joke is supposed to be that audiophiles are bad and dumb

They can still be these things

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine thinking in TYOOL 2019 that gay men can’t also be dumb and bad

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

whats the punchline

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe male audiophiles scare away all the ladies. It seems to be a hobby that thrives on validation from others and a nice secure echo chamber.
If you make an echo chamber I think you're doing it wrong

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Peanut Butler posted:

whats the punchline

turn of you're monitor

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

My take on building up a stereo: make it big, cheap, and loud. If you don't have to untangle twenty yards of unlabled wire any time you change something, why bother? Just lol if all the lamps in your house work because your haven't scavanged the power cords as speaker wire. Curbs on trash day are my Best Buy.

A good friend of mine went big into record collecting recently. No real audio experience, she just wanted something that worked and didn't beat up the vynil. Immaculate bent-arm deck on rubber-spring isolators, neatly bundled wires in plastic conduit, vintage JBL 3-ways, stainless steel amp and pre-amp. Every item well researched and carefully installed. Sounds great, looks good.

Total heresy to me, of course. That didn't keep us from having a thirty minute phone conversation the other day about our hi-fi's. Like smoking weed with your granddad and two weeks later there's a professional grow-op in the basement.

I miss going over to people's houses and making a bee-line for the stereo. The annoyed look on wive's faces as your mild-mannered friend rocks out to Tool at 120db while the dog runs straight into the wall in panicked confusion was always fun. There was always that person who couldn't change the oil in their car but could explain what, "holographic pre-amp", meant.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

is TEAC considered a good brand for hifi stuff?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Grand Prize Winner posted:

is TEAC considered a good brand for hifi stuff?

Mid level at best.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
My dad remembers Teac being good when he was young (in the 60s), then when I was young (in the 90s) it was crap generic garbage. Is it back to "mid-range" now, then?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Tascam is owned by TEAC and is their pro brand. I had a US122MKII USB Audio Interface that I bought from a pawn shop for a while, when it worked it was a nice external sound card, but it liked to go nuts and hiss and screech and lose connection. Tried different firmware and driver versions and I could never make it work correctly

https://tascam.com/us/product/us-122mkii/feature

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The only "good" hifi brands are ones you've never heard of because they're hand made in some dude's basement or went out of business 25 years ago but people are still selling reconditioned ones because "the 90s era was more proto digital and used larger dacs" or whatever. Everything else is consumer trash.

Not really. I have a solid mid range Cambridge audio amplifier and CD player that I've had for 13 years and apart from the CD player starting to fail to read discs it's perfectly fine.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

If you spend more than $50 on sound equipment your an idiot imo

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

If you spend more than $50 on audiophile poo poo your an idiot imo

there, fixed it for you

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

T-man posted:

$50. You sweet, summer child.

You've never encountered a true :spergin: audiophile. I did some IT consulting work once for a businessman working out of his home office, who had at least $20,000 invested in his "listening room" - including powering his equipment off of a gang of two AC - DC - AC converters (to remove "line noise"), balancing his tube amplifiers on Starrett precision surfaces (about $1k each and he had three of them) and using $45/foot triple shielded inch-plus-thick speaker cables run around the perimeter of the room, balanced on graphite isolators that were themselves sitting in trays filled with quartz crystals.

And that wasn't good enough for him - he was talking of building an underground "listening room" in his backyard, 20' underground, linked to his basement via a tunnel and with a built-in faraday cage.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jesus, how much would it even cost to build a Faraday Cage the size of a listening room?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I can't help but suspect that that guy probably actually listens to maybe two hours of music a year, too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
You just bury a shipping container. The crossover between audiophile and serial killer behavior is near 1:1.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
So what does that guy listen to? It's come up a few times in this thread, but the thing that's quite conspicuously missing from audiophiles descriptions of their systems is what music they listen to.

T-man posted:

How about $100?
My system consists of an 80s Onkyo receiver I got given from my parents, a Sony CD player, Sony record player and JVC speakers I picked up for about $20-30 each, and a Logitech Bluetooth receiver. Total cost was around $100 and I'm pretty happy with it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The only "good" hifi brands are ones you've never heard of because they're hand made in some dude's basement or went out of business 25 years ago but people are still selling reconditioned ones because "the 90s era was more proto digital and used larger dacs" or whatever. Everything else is consumer trash.

I'm pretty sure my dad still laments the day that his speakers fell apart after 25 years of use, and yes the manufacturer had just ceased to exist, as there was no information whatsoever about them on the internet.

Of course he's not insane, so he bought some new Klipsch speakers.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Kwyndig posted:

Jesus, how much would it even cost to build a Faraday Cage the size of a listening room?

The irony is if you're already under 20 feet of soil the faraday cage is just gratuitous overkill.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I wonder how much of the line noise he was eliminating is actually tinnitus.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dewgy posted:

I wonder how much of the line noise he was eliminating is actually tinnitus.

That's a common problem with older audiophiles.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

So what does that guy listen to?

From what I saw, a lot of classic rock and orchestral/symphony music.

He was the classic "if I'm going to buy something its going to be the most expensive version I can find" wealthy idiot archetype.

For instance, despite doing no work like graphic design or video editing that would require it, he had a Mac with a 5k display. And then cranked up scaling and font sizes so he could see and read things on his screen.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Imagined posted:

I can't help but suspect that that guy probably actually listens to maybe two hours of music a year, too.

Music? Music? That would be ruining the experience, nothing but pure unadulterated 440Hz sine waves for me.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Geoj posted:

From what I saw, a lot of classic rock and orchestral/symphony music.

Pretty much what I expected then. Not that there's anything wrong with liking that stuff, but it does kind of baffle me that these people consider themselves 'music lovers' but have absolutely zero interest in trying anything new (as in, new to them, not necessarily modern).

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Laserjet 4P posted:

there, fixed it for you

you changed nothing

Geoj posted:

$50. You sweet, summer child.

You've never encountered a true :spergin: audiophile.

I've been in enough mock threads that I get the idea. $50 is just the most money where human ears can actually hear improvement. As such,

your a baka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It's come up a few times in this thread, but the thing that's quite conspicuously missing from audiophiles descriptions of their systems is what music they listen to.

Somebody on SA somewhere, I think, posted:

Audiophiles don't have hundreds of thousands of songs, they have few precious favorite albums in multiple copies, bought to try and find a pressing that makes "Baba O'Riley" or "Levon" sound the way they remember it sounding the first time they heard it in 1971. (On an AM radio in their dad's Plymouth Barracuda.)